Am I too late? Milky Way

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, so I've always had a fascination for the stars and the Milky Way and that combined with my love for photography can only mean one thing. I've recently purchased the Tokina 11-16mm and I'm lucky enough to live in the beautiful county of Dorset. I've always wanted to take a picture of Durdle Door with the Milky Way behind it, but my question is, am I too later?
I'm still trying to work out the time of year that the Milky Way is too low from view?

I find "Stellarium" a really useful tool for planning shots like this.

Such a shame that light pollution in the cities wipes it out.

Was lucky enough to be in the outback in Queensland, Australia and it looked amazing against such an inky black backdrop

Almost too late, but don't forget that while we lose the Milky Way we gain the Orion constellation which is a lovely alternative. No Milky Way but good to practice on during Winter while you wait for the Milky Way to arrive again.

Agree on Stellarium - also Sky Guide and PhotoPills are good on iPhone while on the move.

Owing to living in a city in the UK I'd never really seen the milky way before, here in NZ it is very clearly visible, I was amazed by it.

If you missed the milky way - there's always the total lunar eclipse to catch this weekend - only downside is it's very early morning! :/

Back