An Independent Scotland?

fracster

I love BRASH and BRASH loves me
Suspended / Banned
Name
Ade
Edit My Images
Yes
Will it work for Scotland? Will it work for the rest of the UK? Does it matter?

Be interested to read what,especially the Scottish, members think.

Either way, it won`t prevent me from visiting your fair, if at times wet, country,so hard luck on that score......:D

No it isn`t, just interested to see if Scottish members thought it to be a good idea or not.

I'm 51 and Scottish, I've worked towards (and hoped for) an independent Scotland since my mid teens so yes, good idea. That said this is a political subject so perhaps should not be discussed here.

I'm 51 and Scottish, I've worked towards (and hoped for) an independent Scotland since my mid teens so yes, good idea. That said this is a political subject so perhaps should not be discussed here.

It doesn`t have to get political, just wondered if it is a natural step forward and if it can be a success.

Lots of things are discussed on here that could be construed as political. Maybe if it remains a reasonable discussion rather than a political one........:)

It would be nice to be able to discuss it since it's a huge step to take and affects so many people (members), but I understand if the mods don't want that here, there are after all plenty of other forii? where politics can be discussed.

I'm not Scottish - I find myself asking why?

they get a lot of things for free from the government so it'll save us a few quid ;)

It had to be said sooner or later by someone, might as well get it over and done with.

It had to be said sooner or later by someone, might as well get it over and done with.

No it didn't, not by anyone who actually took a moment to think about what they were typing before hitting the post button.

I feel Scotland as a whole would be poorer if it were independent.

Tom could have locked the thread straight away, he didn`t, so lets be sensible about it.......(y)

I feel Scotland as a whole would be poorer if it were independent.

Can I ask why?

Last edited:
I'm 51 and Scottish, I've worked towards (and hoped for) an independent Scotland since my mid teens so yes, good idea.

Given the current world economic climate, is now the right time?

I don't reckon it's a good idea and would not vote for it, AS seems to be a on an ego trip and wants to crowned king?
Fireproof suit going on now.

I did hear on the radio the other day though was only half paying attention that Scotland was considering joining the euro if they went fully independent. Please tell me I made that up and dreamed it.

Without wishing to get political my thought is, can Scotland survive financially independently? Some Oil, A few fishing boats remain, (yes I have seen Trawlermen) - large tourism industry particularly , Edinburgh, golf and distilleries....)

My personal opinion is it is infeasible. Will we have to rebuild Hadrian's wall and reenact the battle of Bannockburn etc?

they get a lot of things for free from the government so it'll save us a few quid ;)

That's a common (English) misconception, Scotland contributes more per capita to the economy that it receives back out of the UK coffers.

In reality if it were the case the English MPs would have been up in arms years ago, suggesting Hadrian's Wall went back up.

Oil aside, the only reason that Cameron et al are opposed to Scottish independence is that it would open the floodgates for the various English regions to demand similar autonomy.

Oil aside, the only reason that Cameron et al are opposed to Scottish independence is that it would open the floodgates for the various English regions to demand similar autonomy.

Cornwall,Cumbria and Northumberland for example?

Yep, I can see your point about that.

Reactions: RVW
I did hear on the radio the other day though was only half paying attention that Scotland was considering joining the euro if they went fully independent. Please tell me I made that up and dreamed it.

snip

Will we have to rebuild Hadrian's wall and reenact the battle of Bannockburn etc?

You made that up and dreamed it :)

No it's ok, Mel already did that.

Given the current world economic climate, is now the right time?

That depends on whether you think Scotland would be poorer or richer after a split, there are many arguments both ways, the trouble is it's hard to get a definitive answer because most people who answer the question publicly have an agenda of their own. My own view is that sink or swim, we would be doing it on our own merits without having others claiming to pay the bills or being the crutch that we lean on.

Cornwall,Cumbria and Northumberland for example?

Yep, I can see your point about that.

Clicky

The problem I can see with devolving power to all the different English regions is that you'd end up with the political equivalent of BLMC, and we all know how well that was run :LOL:

I'm Scottish & proud of it (y)

However I think "Independence" would be a colossal waste of money, the only people who would benefit would be Lawyers and yet another layer of "Civil Servants". :bang:

Just curious, if Scotland was to become in dependent, would it join the EU; and would I need a different visa to enter (being a non-EU national)?

If so, I'd strongly suggest that it remains within UK, not that I'd get to vote on this!

That depends on whether you think Scotland would be poorer or richer after a split, there are many arguments both ways, the trouble is it's hard to get a definitive answer because most people who answer the question publicly have an agenda of their own. My own view is that sink or swim, we would be doing it on our own merits without having others claiming to pay the bills or being the crutch that we lean on.

Sink or swim could be a real dangerous way to go Hugh, just thinking aloud here, if it didn`t work out the whole of Scotland could be in a real mess, something I would hate to see. On the other hand, if you swam, then that would be a victory. Difficult to see which way it would go at the moment to be honest.

Clicky

The problem I can see with devolving power to all the different English regions is that you'd end up with the political equivalent of BLMC, and we all know how well that was run :LOL:

Not very well at all IIRC Graham, being younger than you......;)

I can`t see differing areas of England getting autonomy at all though.

However I think "Independence" would be a colossal waste of money, the only people who would benefit would be Lawyers and yet another layer of "Civil Servants". :bang:

Indeed, last thing anyone needs in more civil servants and beaurocracy.

Personally I'll be voting yes but I personally think this idea of "Devo Max" would be better.
It would be better for each region to have control of everything on their own but as far as I'm concerned its better for the Military to remain together.
Most day to day political decisions are already made in the Scottish Parliament not Westminster, its probably time that Scottish MP's didn't have a vote on English Issues.

Another Scot and proud to be so, i think if we had gone independent at the start of our Oil era it would have worked. We produce more oil than Kuwait but its been completely wasted (yes it kept Britain from going bankrupt i dont think that was a waste). I was also a member of the British Army, how would that work if we split? God forbid we go into the Euro!

how many new "government departments" would need to be created in Scotland then??

I'm assuming such things as hmrc, MAFF (or whatever they're called this week) Mod, etc are centralised at the moment? Or are they already in existence?

Would that send the tax bill for Scotland higher?

Just curious, if Scotland was to become in dependent, would it join the EU; and would I need a different visa to enter (being a non-EU national)?

If so, I'd strongly suggest that it remains within UK, not that I'd get to vote on this!

According to EU lawyers both Scotland and the remaining UK would become 'Successor States' and both would automatically retain membership in the EU.

how many new "government departments" would need to be created in Scotland then??

I'm assuming such things as hmrc, MAFF (or whatever they're called this week) Mod, etc are centralised at the moment? Or are they already in existence?

Would that send the tax bill for Scotland higher?

Not really, bear in mind that Scottish taxes currently go to the upkeep of these UK departments as it is. There are bound to be extra expenses but just the same there would be savings. More and less bureaucracy, obviously Westminster leaves the equation but do we replace that with a senate or upper house or similar? I think there should be some form of upper house just to keep a curb on the ambitions of lower house politicians.

I was also a member of the British Army, how would that work if we split?

scotland would have its own defence force i'd guess - but presumably it would be a nato force and thus work with the english/welsh/ulster forces anyway

(unless of course scotland went for neutrality )

Perhaps an independent scotland could radically rewrite its tax/banking laws and such and become a tax haven like lichenstenstein etc and or a gambling hub - Glas Vegas ? -also camera equipment might become much cheaper leading to a flourishing cross border trade in retail tourism and grey importing :naughty:

also single malt and eradour fudge could become available as cross border duty free :nuts:

Scotland, that nation well known for producing peace-loving, non-violent individuals, neutral? :LOL:

Nah they are neutral - they'll pick a fight with absolutely anybody :LOL:

Welsh father, Scottish mother

think of myself as BRITISH..... and proud of both ancestral lines

i would vote NO to an independent Scotland

Not really, bear in mind that Scottish taxes currently go to the upkeep of these UK departments as it is. There are bound to be extra expenses but just the same there would be savings. More and less bureaucracy, obviously Westminster leaves the equation but do we replace that with a senate or upper house or similar? I think there should be some form of upper house just to keep a curb on the ambitions of lower house politicians.

I wonder if anyone actually "knows" though - rather than just guessing? And as with all govt estimates throughout the world, whatever they say it will cost, double it and add some:LOL: :LOL::LOL:

I am a Scot and fully agree with that. I don't think there should have been a Scottish parliament. The UK was over-governed before that was put in place.

Back