An Independent Scotland?

To be fair he must be dead inside.

Unlike the no politicians with other matters to deal with, this has been Salmond's only purpose in life for years and he's failed.

Its unlikely he wrote it. And it's probable that whoever did write it did so taking into account the last undeclared area.

He is however, the First Minister of Scotland, so he does need to get on with it. Having said that, I don't expect him to last very long.

I just hope he'll get a quiet exit to never be heard off....including that sturgeon woman...

Just a bit anxious about devo max now...

That's after being given every possibility, impressionable 16&17 year old allowed to vote, the weighted question written by him.

It'll be interesting to see the breakdown of votes, how many of those 16&17 year olds voted yes.

I just hope he'll get a quiet exit to never be heard off....including that sturgeon woman...

Just a bit anxious about devo max now...

Nope they'll continue to press for more powers, independence little by little.

Nope they'll continue to press for more powers, independence little by little.
Yes, you are right. Listening to them now, and they make it sound like a win and going for further independence power. Bunch of muppets.

Where's @Steep ?

Quite sincerely, if he hasn't posted his 886th post in this thread by 10am we should dial 999 and tell them we're worried about him! :hug:

Like lots of others I'm very pleased and indeed relieved at the result. Hopefully now, something that has been an expensive diversion and surprisingly nasty blight on the British political scene this summer, can start to be turned into something positive for all of us!

I'm also pleased that Scotland has decided to stay part of the uk,, I'm curious now on what next,,, the strength of feeling that has been generated north of the border , means that no matter what the vote,, things will probably never be the same again,,

I'm also pleased that Scotland has decided to stay part of the uk,, I'm curious now on what next,,, the strength of feeling that has been generated north of the border , means that no matter what the vote,, things will probably never be the same again,,

I think we'll end up with a Federal UK. Everyone has more powers, except for Westminster, so everyone should be happy.

So, with so much time, effort and money having been wasted, who's stuck with the bills?

A number of videos popping up on youtube showing apparent vote rigging.

Not sure what this woman is doing.

Proud to be Scottish.

Absolutely delighted to be British.

Me too ........... (y)
Yes, you are right. Listening to them now, and they make it sound like a win and going for further independence power. Bunch of muppets.

All politicians do that. If you read their words without knowing the author you'd think they were written by the winning party. They never seem to realise it is just another thing they do that turns us all off.

Don't be a bad loser. There surely weren't 200,000 rigged votes.

Reactions: ST4
Don't know about you all, but I, living in Scotland, have had this subject in my ears for over two years and have had quite enough. May normality resume in short order.

Do we need a new thread for the follow-up? Devo max: what is it, is it a good idea, etc?

Personally I think the situation were in now is quite ironic. If the Scots had voted Yes, there would have been some very difficult negotiations ahead but at least the scope and the objectives would have been reasonably clear and there would have been a democratic mandate. As things stand now there will still have to be difficult negotiations, but with no mandate, no clear scope, and a drastically compressed timetable. Madness.

Where's @Steep ?

Quite sincerely, if he hasn't posted his 886th post in this thread by 10am we should dial 999 and tell them we're worried about him! :hug:

Like lots of others I'm very pleased and indeed relieved at the result. Hopefully now, something that has been an expensive diversion and surprisingly nasty blight on the British political scene this summer, can start to be turned into something positive for all of us!

No doubt he will turn up like a bad penny.

Not sure what this woman is doing.

Hugh, can you not loose with some grace?

Video 1, shows a man writing something. You don't know if he's writing on a ballot paper. What he is writing, or if it's before or after they were counted, if they were ballot papers.

Video 2, shows someone moving ballot papers. Is it that she put them in the wrong piles? It certainly seems so, as she moved one from the no to the yes pile, a pointless execise if you are fiddling the books.

A yes ballot on a table with a no sign. Was that before or after they were counted?

Certainly isn't 400,000 plus votes though is it?

You lost Hugh, get over it.

He'll probably start saying the votes were rigged...

Don't be a bad loser. There surely weren't 200,000 rigged votes.
Ah. I've watched those videos now and I have to say they look pretty damming. I guess you might ask, if it's that easy for one unsupervised counter to put 'Yes' votes on the 'No' pile, how many others were doing it and not caught on video? And the other thing you might ask is how many counters were putting 'No' votes on the 'Yes' pile?

Last edited:
Do you know thats what was happening? Is it not possible that she's put the few in the wrong pile, realised her mistake and moved them?

Problem is that around 1/3 of eligible voters voted for Independence. That means 2 thirds didn't. I don't doubt that some votes were miscounted, intentionally or otherwise, but that will apply to both sides.
If there were 2 votes in it, then that would be an issue. But with 2 thirds NOT voting for Independence it isn't going to be significant.

(For Hughs sake. 4.2 Million Eligible Voters, 1.5 million said yes. Thats around 34%, so around a third of voters)

When does Britain get to vote if we want to keep Scotland ;):p:D

Looking at the news and the comments of some.....and I quote: "I hope next time we'll get our yes vote". WTF How often do they want to do this...

Thanks really good news it would have been a real shame to split up the UK:)
Hopefully salmond will disappear somewhere :D

News just in!

The BBC are lying, the Yes campaign won.
The rest of the UK have all been given mind altering drugs so they don't notice the deception.
This was the result of a right wing conspiracy headed by Westminster to keep Scotland in the Union.
Aliens have kidnapped 2/3's of the Scots people and Brain washed them into voting no.
The CIA did changed all the ballot papers.
The Count on the grassy knoll was clearly fiddled.
Most of the yes papers were destroyed when the twin towers came down.

I think I've covered most of the theories there for you Hugh.

Thanks really good news it would have been a real shame to split up the UK:)
Hopefully salmond will disappear somewhere :D

Think he will hang around until the 2016 election. Don't care for the fellow, but he is an able politician (that is not a complement, but just an acknowledgement that he knows how to get his own way). Don't see anyone else in that party that could tie his shoe laces.

News just in!

The BBC are lying, the Yes campaign won.
The rest of the UK have all been given mind altering drugs so they don't notice the deception.
This was the result of a right wing conspiracy headed by Westminster to keep Scotland in the Union.
Aliens have kidnapped 2/3's of the Scots people and Brain washed them into voting no.
The CIA did changed all the ballot papers.
The Count on the grassy knoll was clearly fiddled.
Most of the yes papers were destroyed when the twin towers came down.

I think I've covered most of the theories there for you Hugh.

If your name was not on this, Bernie, I'd swear that it was one of Steep's posts.

Problem is that around 1/3 of eligible voters voted for Independence. That means 2 thirds didn't. I don't doubt that some votes were miscounted, intentionally or otherwise, but that will apply to both sides.
If there were 2 votes in it, then that would be an issue. But with 2 thirds NOT voting for Independence it isn't going to be significant.

(For Hughs sake. 4.2 Million Eligible Voters, 1.5 million said yes. Thats around 34%, so around a third of voters)
To be fair, that's not how it works. 2 million said no, 1.6 million said yes, and 0.6 million implied by not voting that they were happy with either outcome. So you could equally say that 62% would have been happy with a Yes vote.

To be fair, that's not how it works. 2 million said no, 1.6 million said yes, and 0.6 million implied by not voting that they were happy with either outcome. So you could equally say that 62% would have been happy with a Yes vote.
To be fair to Bernie, only 1/3 of eligible scots wanted independance enough to vote. The rest either said No or couldnt be bothered.

Stewart

It was a vote on Independence, and therefore all that could have supported that had an opportunity to express that.

But what I said was that only about 1/3 voted for it. The rest either didn't bother, couldn't or didn't want to, or voted against it. Whatever way you want to put it though 2/3's, roughly did not vote for Independence.
So the only thing that can be said with certainty is that 1/3 of the eligible voters opted for Independence. Thats what the numbers say.

Of course Politicians will say that it was 45% of voters, but thats the nature of politics, spin it to best advantage. Missing out the words "who voted" makes the statement true, but untrue at the same time.

Of course Politicians will say that it was 45% of voters, but thats the nature of politics, spin it to best advantage. Missing out the words "who voted" makes the statement true, but untrue at the same time.

They do the same thing the day after by-elections. Whichever party won, somehow all of them consider it to be a victory!

Steve

Back