Android watch?

Nod

Tootles
Name
Nod (UK)
Edit My Images
Yes
Help!!! (In a word.)

Mrs Nod currently has and loves her Pebble but it has slightly limited capabilities compared with newer makes/models. Hers is paired with her S6 Edge. What is the best comparable significant upgrade to her Pebble? Up to £400 but as reasonable as possible!

I've heard the Stone is a little more of a "heavyweight" than the Pebble.

Of course if you want to push the boat out, and your pocket allows miss out the Rock and go straight for the top of the range Boulder.

Merry Christmas! :exit:

:p

I've got the LG R watch and wouldn't hesitate to buy a new one if I damaged / lost it :)

All android watches do pretty much the same thing, so buy whichever one looks the nicest on Mrs Nods wrist :)

I can't comment specifically, but the one that has visually always attracted me, is the LG G(?) watch. I think it looks fantastic, still looks like a top quality traditional watch

It's a shame Pebble are no longer in development. And the watches may lose some functionality as the server infrastructure is in maintenance mode.
https://blog.getpebble.com/
I nearly bought one before the recent announcement too.

Last edited:
That's why I think she needs to get something less niche. She's had a replacement recently (2 of the buttons fell out!) so she can't fault their customer service (the replacement was completely no quibble, just had to sent photos of the serial number and the missing buttons) but it also showed that they can and do fail, so with Pebble apparently vanishing as an entity in the not too distant future, I can't help feeling that the tool could do with replacing with something newer.

The current Pebble was bought in the sales about a year ago and was very much an impulse buy since it was only £50 or so - she wanted to know when her phone was ringing when it was buried in her bag on silent mode and to be able to sneak a peek at texts while she's teaching her Yoga classes (latecomers now know to text her rather than phone or ring the front door buzzer - she can then sneak out for a few seconds to hit the entry button to let them in - being able to do that has earned more than the watch cost so the concept has been proved!) Having proved the concept, it seems sensible to make more of an investment on something a bit more stylish and with more functionality.

As Brian (Mr Gubby) has said, they all seem to do the same so it's down to her taste as to which she gets.

The thing to watch (deliberate) out for is does it use standard straps ?, many of them use custom straps which is a pain if you want to try a different style

A trick also used by some "normal" watch makers... For example, Citizen use different pin placements for the metal braceletted and leather strapped versions of at least one of their Red Arrows watches - I originally bought the leather version (less than 1/2 price) then ordered a bracelet for it which baffled the jeweller when he tried to fit it! Luckily, he was happy to refund the bracelet cost and return the thing but it does mean that I now have 2 watches identical in every respect other than the strap! (Good job I like the watch and wear it in both guises!)

Update!

Mrs Nod's commercialmas present has been purchased and just awaits wrapping, unwrapping and setting up! (I'd do the setting up for her as part of the gift but 1) the phone it's to be paired with is with her and 2) she's much better at sussing out things like this than me!!!) After much deliberation, looking and asking assorted techies and sales advisors, she decided that the Samsung S3 Frontier was what she wanted. Just been waiting for somewhere to actually have one in stock. On a couple of waiting lists but the first place to have them was Argos, so since they are the same price as JL and other places, it's come from there.
From handling the thing in a couple of shops, it seems to be the most watch like of them and has the ability to be used as the "handset" when making/receiving calls. Got space for a few albums on the watch itself which can be sent to Bluetooth headphones if she wants (or even streamed from watch to a Bluetooth enabled HiFi).
Just got to wait until I pick her up after her late class for her to unwrap it and have a play!

Further update, 6 months on...

She still loves it. Lets her keep an eye on things discretely (for example, she's taught her students to text her if they're running late and need to be let in to the studio during a class - no disturbance to the rest of the class by ringing the bell!) and even do quick replies ("All schedule details and prices are on the website, www.blahdiblah.co.uk") to many enquiries. She can even answer her phone using the thing (but doesn't, since she feels silly speaking inti it like Jemima Bond!)

TBH, I'm even a bit tempted to get one for myself but it won't work with my (Windows) phone. When the current phone dies (or looks sick...), I'll go Android and see how rich I feel.

Back