Cobra

In Memoriam. TPer Emeritus
Admin
Name
The real Chris
Edit My Images
No
I bought a UK 60GB PAL PS3 for my lads birthday recently
The add was quite specific that it was a UK PAL version.
I knew what to look for and bidded with confidence
I don't actually understand the workings so when it arrived I gave it to my daughters boyfriend to check out ( he has one)
It became apperent very quickly that I had been ripped off yet again
It was infact a region 3 Japanese import ( if that means anything to you guys)
briefly as I understand it, it doesn't do half of what its supposed too :bang:
I imeadiatley contacted the seller who so far has ignored
polite requests for a refund but it seems ( a quick ebay search) that he has done this before to "someone else" who I am now in contact with.
He sucessfully got a refund by going through a solicitor that he knows personally, so at least he had a result.............

I started a paypal dispute which apperantly is not monitored by paypal initially and takes around 20 days before they get involved.
I have to wait 10 days before ebay will "accept" a dispute being filed.
Luckily ( I hope) it was payed via a credit card linked to paypal so I phoned them
A less than helpful and barely understandable opperator told me that I had to fill in a form and that would take 10 days to arrive
( from India I guess :shrug:)
One minute he said that he would hold payment the next he said that I had to fill out the form first
so I am not quite sure where I am with this at the moment, I guess I am a **** for not buying one local and collecting in person........... (thats plan B ) but I still may well have been stung, as I said this is a little beyond me.

I think I have informed everyone that I should have unless you know different :shrug: Or know some fairly large guys up Lancashire way :bat:
Its my son I feel sorry for......... an 18th birthday and no (main) pressie:(
still I will take him out on the p'ss later and hope he feels a little better :D

still I will take him out on the p'ss later and hope he feels a little better :D

That should sort it! :D

Seriously though, if you paid by CC I'd be filing a chargeback (which is I assume what you've done). Paypal will certainly take notice then!

I don't suppose you have a link to the auction itself do you?

Thats a reet buggar happenend to me a couple of times.

I opened a pay pal dispute, it took a while but i got the money back, after about a month I think. I didn't follow to closely as it was only about £30 but it got it back in the end. In my experience ebay are usually quite good at sorting out such incidents.

If its on credit card surely it will be insured for such eventualities maby you could phone card company??

That should sort it! :D
I don't suppose you have a link to the auction itself do you?

:D

linky

If its on credit card surely it will be insured for such eventualities maby you could phone card company??

Yep got on to them that the bit about "sending a form"
but "they" didn't seem that helpful.....I could be wrong.....I hope

Well, It certainly looks like he has scammed you. Although I would say that, as PS3 games are region free is it such an issue? Then again that doesn't make it right does it?

Go for the throat I say :D

correct me if i'm wrong, but if its a japanese machine then it shouldnt be able to do PAL at all, so it wont show up on your TV and wont play UK Games.

Also, japan is region 2 (not 3) as far as DVDs are concerned. Europe is also Region 2.

Although if i was you i'd send it back anyway. The 40gb versions are only about 280 quid brand new with a warranty and are only lacking in a few features.

I'm not sure the auction does say that it's the uk version, it says that it uses the PAL UK standard which applies to the way it displays pictures on your tv set but it doesn't actually say anywhere that it's a uk machine. I have no idea what the difference is in functionality betwen japanese and uk versions.

Just double checked, Japan uses the NTSC tv standard not PAL so if the machine works ok on your tv (assuming you don't have a dual mode tv) then it is PAL as advertised.

What makes it obviously a scam one Chris ? (know you may have to ask the daughters boyfriend for that info ;)) How was it apparent it was a region 3 one ?

Just checking :) apparently the Japanese ones do a lot more than the UK ones, ie they have the emotion chip in to play PS2 games etc etc all of the uk ones are butchered in some way to get the cost down ? If it displays on your tv and has a PAL logo on it it should be UK stock.

no where in the advert is region mentioned unless i missed so what is your complaint? the part about Pal i would interprit as PAL is the uk standard, it does not state that the PS3 is PAL.(having re read probably is meaning that the item is pal, sorry)

maybe a clever way of avoiding having to pay back.

difficult one this i woudl say
eric

also paypal is only giving £150 protection on this item.

no where in the advert is region mentioned unless i missed so what is your complaint? the part about Pal i would interprit as PAL is the uk standard, it does not state that the PS3 is PAL.

eric

i would actually place a small amount of money on the daughters boyfriend having cocked this one up and the PS3 being a UK Model and the listing being legit.

i've got 10p says its legit.. who is with me, and who is against lol

What voltage does this PS3 run at? because japan runs @ 100v. I've never met a PS3 but if the transformer is internal and yours runs at 240V then it's a UK model.

1/ does it play the ps1 games on the machine and display on your tv?
2/ does it play ps 2 games and display?
3/ does it play ps 3 games on your chosen display method?
4/ does it play the blu ray dvd s on your tv?
5/ was everything included that had been listed?

if none of the above are covered or some not working as claimed, i would say you will have no difficullty claiming money back, if all covered i would say problems getting money back, as the advertiser will have covered all angles and will not of mis advertised.

unless i am totally off the mark and misread something.
eric

To clear up the issue with regions this is what the case is with the 60GB PS3:

- All 60GB PS3s will work anywhere in the world, and will play any games as they are region free
- Any PS3 consoles that are 60GB will play PS2 games - PAL or NTSC
- Any non UK PAL PS3s will not play UK PAL blue ray discs

- Also what I heard is that non UK PAL consoles or games will not play at full 1080p, and only at 720p.

If I were you and your certain it is an import, follow it up and get your hard earned money back.

Hope this was helpful and good luck :D

Thanks for the info guys I will just answer those that I know the answer too (y)

Just checking :) apparently the Japanese ones do a lot more than the UK ones, ie they have the emotion chip in to play PS2 games etc etc all of the uk ones are butchered in some way to get the cost down ? If it displays on your tv and has a PAL logo on it it should be UK stock.

No PAL logo Ian
Displays VIA a HDMI cable on a digital TV PS3 games and blue ray but not on a "normal" TV except for shadowy black and white and only (UK blue ray)

i would actually place a small amount of money on the daughters boyfriend having cocked this one up and the PS3 being a UK Model and the listing being legit.

i've got 10p says its legit.. who is with me, and who is against lol

This guy knows what he is talking about and has read the memory of the PS3 don't ask me how I have no idea
thats why I gave it to him in the first place its telling him its NTSC and A/3/3 device not a UK device
(Region B/2/2). :shrug:

1/ does it play the ps1 games on the machine and display on your tv? NO
2/ does it play ps 2 games and display?NO
3/ does it play ps 3 games on your chosen display method? YES but only via the HDMI lead
4/ does it play the blu ray dvd s on your tv? YES but only the digital one via the HDMI connection
5/ was everything included that had been listed? YES
if none of the above are covered or some not working as claimed, i would say you will have no difficullty claiming money back, if all covered i would say problems getting money back, as the advertiser will have covered all angles and will not of mis advertised.

unless i am totally off the mark and misread something.
eric

no where in the advert is region mentioned unless i missed so what is your complaint?

eric

Basically my complaint is that
1) it doesn't play PS1 or 2 games ( as only the 60Gb can / does)
2) it doesn't play UK blue ray except as previously stated
3) it was advertised as a PAL which it clearly isn't

also paypal is only giving £150 protection on this item.

Ah yes but there is more than one way to skin a scammer for a full refund, ;) I am not holding my breath waiting for paypal to cough up on this one anyway

Why do we do it Chris? Bargains from e-bay always seem to fall flat. Hope you get it sorted one way or toother. ;)

Well, It certainly looks like he has scammed you. Although I would say that, as PS3 games are region free is it such an issue? Then again that doesn't make it right does it?

Go for the throat I say :D

But it doesn't play PS2 or PS1 games as the 60Gb UK PAL version does ( and my son has hundreds of these thats why, although much more expensive I went for the 60Gb rather than the 40Gb)
or UK Blue ray

Throat duly gone for :D

:crying:
yet again mate nothing to add but good luck

md(y)

Thats definitely dodgy then, and sounds like you have matters in hand :)

;) (y)

Why do we do it Chris? Bargains from e-bay always seem to fall flat. Hope you get it sorted one way or toother. ;)

Thanks Alby(y)
but at just less than £500 I don't really concider it so much of a bargain

I have a feeling this is going to be a long up hill struggle but I will NOT let it drop OK so £500 quid won't bankrupt me but that is not the point! The next poor sod that gets caught, it might :(

totally agree thanks for replying duly agree dont go for the throat yourself
get the local rottwieller.

if you have blokes address, then get the local tradingn standards on to it

might work,
if not know any local solicitors?

best of luck and hope you get money refunded.
eric

Seems like you've ticked all the boxes, the game does not appear to be as described so you should hopefully be able to get your money back. Keep every email that you have received from him eBay will want to see them to prove that it has been payed for etc, and have you raised a complaint with eBay yet as well as paypal?

if you have blokes address, then get the local tradingn standards on to it

might work,
if not know any local solicitors?

best of luck and hope you get money refunded.
eric
Cheers Eric (y)
Yep trading standards are a possibillity though I am not sure as I don't think he is a bussiness?

damn, i'm down another 10p :)

Cash / cheque or bank transfer thanks, Gary :D

Seems like you've ticked all the boxes, the game does not appear to be as described so you should hopefully be able to get your money back. Keep every email that you have received from him eBay will want to see them to prove that it has been payed for etc, and have you raised a complaint with eBay yet as well as paypal?

Thanks Steep all emails are duly filed as copies (y)
Ebay won't start an investigation until 10 days have elaspes :(

might be worth pursuing as i think it is wrongful advertising so may be covered by trading standards.

#if cant get solictor citezens advice could be helpful as well.

go get em!!!

i bought several stuff of Fleabay had simular problems only get stuff if i know that there is no chance of being ripped off.... hope you get it all sorted

might be worth pursuing as i think it is wrongful advertising so may be covered by trading standards.

#if cant get solictor citezens advice could be helpful as well.

go get em!!!

i bought several stuff of Fleabay had simular problems only get stuff if i know that there is no chance of being ripped off.... hope you get it all sorted

Cheers Guys (y)

*update* firstly the guy concerned offered a refund then had obviously given it some thought and changed his mind as it had been "used" get real!
It was only when it was "used" did it become apparent that it was "not as discribed" and "unfit for use", being second hand I guess it may have been used anyway :shrug:

I would like some of what ever he is "on" :D

It's a lot of money, he's probably spent some or all of it and doesn't want to give it back.

It's a lot of money, he's probably spent some or all of it and doesn't want to give it back.

What makes you say that Steep :shrug: :LOL:
I am in regular contact with the person that he did this too before me ( see post #1)
And so far the seller has wriggled and squirmed just like the afore mentioned buyer said he did / would so at least he is true to form :D

I would like some of what ever he is "on" :D

Get him to send you some...you probably paid for it anyway.:thinking:

Seriously though Chris....go through the small claims court. This can be done at "Money Claim Online" https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp
Contact one of the sellers who he recently bought from and get his address. He'll probably see the light when he receives the papers. You should have the option of sueing for a refund or the cost of acquiring what you paid for and didn't get.
A couple of years back I got something for the minimum 99p bid although it was worth about 50-60 quid. I paid but never received it...he sold the same item again a few days later. I sued for the replacement cost of the item rather than for my 99p...technically he sold the one I already owned so was obligued to replace it.
Took 7 or 8 months but the satisfaction was worth it in the end.

Bob

Thanks Bob (y)
I now have his address :D
I have contacted my credit card co for a "trade back" I think its called?
I have informed paypal of the facts of the transaction
but 20 days have to elapse ( to give "both parties a chance to settle amicabley) before they will do anything other than "log it"
I tried to lodge a complaint with ebay but 10 days have to elapse before they will act
I will most definately go through the courts if I have too
( thanks for the link (y))

Edit that all looks pretty straight forward thanks again

A couple of years back I got something for the minimum 99p bid although it was worth about 50-60 quid. I paid but never received it...he sold the same item again a few days later. I sued for the replacement cost of the item rather than for my 99p...technically he sold the one I already owned so was obligued to replace it.
Took 7 or 8 months but the satisfaction was worth it in the end.

Bob

Nice one Bob, that taught him a lesson, and what a good investment of 99p.
Similar thing happened to me but when I contacted the seller before paying he came up with loads of lame excuses for not being able to ship the item, one of them was that a mate had the key to the garage where the item was and was away on holiday. When I protested that he should not have listed the item if he was not able to ship it he became abusive and threatened me not to to neg him. Not knowing what kind of psycho I was dealing with and taking into consideration he had my address I let him away with it and not surprisingly it went up for auction again a few days later.

Trading standars monitor ebay but mainly for counter fitt, but no harm in asking.
Give them hell

The Cavaliers finally get to meet :)

Back