Ant and Wreck

Edit My Images
Yes
Not seen a thread on this yet, what's your thoughts on Ant McPartlin getting arrested for drink driving after crashing into another families car. Now cancelled all tv appearances and going back into rehab.

Rushed back to early for the new TV series - Saturday night takeaway and they are filming Britains got talent at the moment.

Thought of another title - PJ and Drunken
Accident happened at 4pm sunday, so drove with his mum in the car (where he's living at the moment).

Great role model for kids...

Sack and ban.

He has problems that the pressure of being in the public eye isn't helping, being arsy about him isn't big or clever and it helps no-one.

Anyone who has ever had to deal with an alcoholic knows that they will say anything, be all contrite and 'sorry', make all the promises in the world to make you go away, the bottle will always win until they want to stop it. They need a reason that's more powerful than the drug and it's clear that Ant ^ hasn't found one yet.

Last edited:
He has problems that the pressure of being in the public eye isn't helping, being arsy about him isn't big or clever and it helps no-one.

Anyone who has ever had to deal with an alcoholic knows that they will say anything, be all contrite and 'sorry', make all the promises in the world to make you go away, the bottle will always win until they want to stop it. They need a reason that's more powerful than the drug and it's clear that Dec ^ hasn't found one yet.

He needs to admit he has a problem with alcohol, then he needs to get/ask for help. If he does not, then he might have to hit rock bottom before he thinks/knows he needs help.

He needs to admit he has a problem with alcohol, then he needs to get/ask for help. If he does not, then he might have to hit rock bottom before he thinks/knows he needs help.
I think he's just done that.

He was in rehab last year after becoming addicted to painkillers and alcohol following a knee operation. I can relate to that, the morphine is marvelous, put me in a very happy, euphoric state after my knee operation but was very addictive, especially when they give you one of thsoe machines you can hit the button to get more.
I don't think the TV schedules gave him enough time to recover. They probably pushed him back too early, he didn't want to let them down or his partner

He was out with his mum, why on earth was he driving? After all his troubles, why wasn't his mum more of a stabilising influence? Quite a sad fall.

I think he's just done that.

He was in rehab last year after becoming addicted to painkillers and alcohol following a knee operation. I can relate to that, the morphine is marvelous, put me in a very happy, euphoric state after my knee operation but was very addictive, especially when they give you one of thsoe machines you can hit the button to get more.
I don't think the TV schedules gave him enough time to recover. They probably pushed him back too early, he didn't want to let them down or his partner

He was out with his mum, why on earth was he driving? After all his troubles, why wasn't his mum more of a stabilising influence? Quite a sad fall.

The sun of course have a full report
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/5850795/ant-mcpartlin-drink-drive-crash-family/

He must have been traveling - he ripped the wheel off his mini and having read that report I've lost all sympathy, he had his dogs in the car

He might not of hit his rock bottom yet, but I do hope he can sort out his alcohol problem before he does even more harm to others or himself.

I know that corner in Mortlake, I use it when returning from London WWT to Richmond and he must have been travelling at some velocity to cause that much damage.....

I'm sad for him, those close to him and those involved in the crash but a couple of thoughts kept coming to mind...

Firstly he's a wealthy man with every opportunity in life and yet he acts in self destructive, stupid and selfish ways. I know money doesn't buy happiness but wise man/woman said something like... I've been poor and I've been rich. I prefer rich.

Secondly with all for good and bad that's happening in the world how come this story has been number one item on the national news and on the front page of the papers?

I see that their show has been cancelled, I'm not a great fan of Ant and Dec so I could be wrong but I think that they could be replaced with any number of people and the show could go on.

Having watched the video of him getting out of his car, it was obvious he had been drinking. Begs the question, what was his mum doing allowing him to drive in the first place. Having read quotes from the couple whose car he finally crashed into and their daughter was hurt, it seems they are milking it for everything they are worth.

Having watched the video of him getting out of his car, it was obvious he had been drinking. Begs the question, what was his mum doing allowing him to drive in the first place. Having read quotes from the couple whose car he finally crashed into and their daughter was hurt, it seems they are milking it for everything they are worth.

Or the reporters are... Mind you, where there's blame

So just one drop and drive the next day is also drink driving.

Not by the legal definition, you need to have a minimum alcohol level of 35 Micrograms per 100 millilitres of breath to be guilty of drink driving in England.

TBH I am sick of reading excuses from people.. esp celebs at how hard there life is so drinking isn't there fault.. but what really winds me up is the amount of people defending them and saying how they need help and its not there fault..

like to see there responses if it was there family a drunk ploughed into..

I feel we are really weak in this country on drink driving, the EU has much lower limits.
We should have a zero limit.

I feel we are really weak in this country on drink driving, the EU has much lower limits.

I ahve always said the same. I have a good old drink on a sunday night as weekends are my busiest time... i feel i ahve earned it :) .. i dont drive until tuesday.....

He's a human being and an alcoholic so he deserves sympathy, none of us know how close we are to becoming the same.
It's a mental illness and being rich is no shield against mental illness, indeed it may make the whole thing even more likely.
I believe his problem was brought about by an operation that has left him in constant pain and he turned to drugs as a first resort and now to alcohol.
It is very difficult to deal with an alcoholic/drug users, they will tell you all sorts of lies etc and is immensely difficult for the family to deal with.

I feel deeply sorry for him, he's nowhere near rock bottom (yet) as he still has his money but that could all vanish and one has to ask if it has brought him happiness, it would appear not. I hope he gets the help he needs to recognise his problem, his money should help get him the best care possible, then again it maybe not if he doesnt want it.

I ahve always said the same. I have a good old drink on a sunday night as weekends are my busiest time... i feel i ahve earned it :) .. i dont drive until tuesday.....

yeah, I don't drink much anyway and would never consider getting in a car after, if I am driving the morning after then I allways have a think and make sure I have allowed plenty time and then some.

In my town of Mirfield our Mayor has just been convicted of his 2nd DD offence......

https://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/former-mayor-mirfield-paul-blakeley-14361343

He's a human being and an alcoholic so he deserves sympathy,

hard to sympathise with a man who gets in a car drunk and crashes into innocent families and i repeat.. how much sympathy would you have if he ploughed into your family?

hard to sympathise with a man who gets in a car drunk and crashes into innocent families and i repeat.. how much sympathy would you have if he ploughed into your family?
None at all, I'd kill the bstd if he killed my family and expect to feel the full weight of the law accordingly.
But, as a society we should take a higher ground than what we do on a personal level.

Caught drink driving should be a two tier punichment, up to 10% over the limit a lengthy ban, fine and shedloads of points.

Over 10% of the prescribed limit and some jail time starting at 6 months.

Depending on what you mean by country, part of the UK (Scotland) does have a lower limit, it's only 22 Micrograms there.

Depending on what you mean by country, part of the UK (Scotland) does have a lower limit, it's only 22 Micrograms there.

my local pub the flower pot is full of builders van at the end of the day when I walk past from my train.

Caught drink driving should be a two tier punichment, up to 10% over the limit a lengthy ban, fine and shedloads of points.

Over 10% of the prescribed limit and some jail time starting at 6 months.
Alternatively, lifetime driving ban and some sort of therapy for alcohol dependency. I really dont want to fill prisons up with someone that may be holding down a good job etc (which they may lose due to prison) and have them trained up in greater criminality in prison.
Death or injury by drunk driving - lifetime ban, and charged with murder, not manslaughter or death by drunk driving, you get in a car drunk and kill someone it's pre-meditated, but again alcohol dependency clinic/counselling.

Punishments should be about rehabilitating or keeping society safe, so no parole etc for killer drivers unless it can be shown they wont re-offend and a lifetime driving ban doesnt do that.

I agree Matt but its just not working, people who drink and drive cause some of the worst accidents and cause so much misery.
Sorry matey but I would like to see some folk sat reflecting for a few months,.

It doesn't have to be max security, but an open prison just for drink drivers then at least they would know what they are in for,

I agree Matt but its just not working, people who drink and drive cause some of the worst accidents and cause so much misery.
Sorry matey but I would like to see some folk sat reflecting for a few months,.

It doesn't have to be max security, but an open prison just for drink drivers then at least they would know what they are in for,
Absolutely, the wall at the front of my garden was demolished by a drunk driver, it was a miracle no-one was killed or injured as I live on a very busy road full of pedestrians normally. So hard was the impact my wall pillar hit next doors wall and demolished that, apparently she (and I'm not being sexist, just factual) didnt attempt to turn where the road bends and ploughed straight on, we think she dropped her phone and was looking for it (something else I hate with a passion). So I would give them a very long driving ban for a non-injury drunk accident first offence and lifetime for second offence or injury related accident. Being without a licence would seriously affect people, get them to reflect and serve as a serious detterent to others, a 1 year ban is ridiculous.

I dont see prison for a first offence doing a lot of good, but you are right and in my view also we take far too lean a view of drunk driving.

Last edited:
He's a human being and an alcoholic so he deserves sympathy, none of us know how close we are to becoming the same.
It's a mental illness and being rich is no shield against mental illness, indeed it may make the whole thing even more likely.
I believe his problem was brought about by an operation that has left him in constant pain and he turned to drugs as a first resort and now to alcohol.
It is very difficult to deal with an alcoholic/drug users, they will tell you all sorts of lies etc and is immensely difficult for the family to deal with.

I feel deeply sorry for him, he's nowhere near rock bottom (yet) as he still has his money but that could all vanish and one has to ask if it has brought him happiness, it would appear not. I hope he gets the help he needs to recognise his problem, his money should help get him the best care possible, then again it maybe not if he doesnt want it.

Well said

I hope you never have a mental illness where you are not in control of your thoughts and actions!

Heavens above, all his money, why not a taxi or hire a full time driver?

because all the other worthless tossers that surround him and sponge off him say what a wonderfull person he is, go on have another pint mate.

Back