Antc's 52 - Part 2 - UPDATED 27/12 Week 52 - "Wandering the Grantham Canal Christmas"

This weeks blog image comes to you from the Holy Island, Northumberland. Lindisfarne Castle to be precise. The third castle I visited on my recent trip up north. We had a limited amount of time on the Island due to the tide (and not wanting to get stranded for hours on end) I will say its a fantastic place to go, plenty of great angles to get shots from. So many things to take photos of again like the upturned boat houses. I want to go back already!

Week 41 - Lindisfarne Castle

IMG41.jpg

Bamburgh Castle: Lovely shot - the sort of thing you'd expect to see in an upmarket travel advert for relaxing holidays in the area. (y)

Lindisfarne: One of the places I've always wanted to visit. I'm glad it lived up to your expectations. I love the strong foreground interest in the shot and the desaturated colours. Another (y) from me. :)

Jean

I like both of theme the forground really add context to them (y)

Bamburgh Castle: Lovely shot - the sort of thing you'd expect to see in an upmarket travel advert for relaxing holidays in the area. (y)

Lindisfarne: One of the places I've always wanted to visit. I'm glad it lived up to your expectations. I love the strong foreground interest in the shot and the desaturated colours. Another (y) from me. :)

Jean

Thankyou both so much for your comments, much appreciated.

An early start this morning to capture some autumn colour. What better place to go than Clumber Park and Lime Avenue. Well over a mile of lime trees line the road leading into the park and if you get some good light then its a delight to see and photograph. Polarizer and grad filters used to hold in the sky and enhance the autumn colours in the image.

Week 42 - Lime Avenue, Clumber Park

IMG42.jpg

A couple of weeks ago you will remember seeing a shot of Bamburgh Castle I took which I gave a rather cool tone to. Well this is a shot from the same set, more as the scene actually was. The sunrise was quite spectacular with the sun rising just out of shot on the let hand side. I am really happy with this shot, its been processed the oposite way to the previous one with just the bottom third as the beach and castle with two thirds sky as I think its very strong in this image. So thats all from me this week and I look forward to reading your comments!

Week 43 - Fiery Bamburgh Sunrise

IMG43.jpg

The avenue is lovely and well shot... I'm sure it's not wonky and I can't find any indication it is, but I feel like I'm leaning to the right ...

As for the sunrise... lovely, warm, wonderful tones... I'm not jealous... (y)

My first real macro of the year. Having been concentrating on other things photographically I had forgotton how much I enjoy finding little insects and capturing them in their little worlds. Note so self that I need to see my optician and get my eyes double checked as I was having a tiny issue with manually focusing on this little critter!

Week 44 - Insey Winsey Spider

IMG44.jpg

The hairs on the legs etc look good Ant. Nicely done.

Taken on a recent night shoot around Nottingham City centre. Really feeling I could do with a wider angle lens on my crop sensor camera so that perhaps I could have got the whole building in without the need to be standing directly in the path of an on coming tram or bus haha!

Week 46 - Theatre Royal, Nottingham

IMG46.jpg

Ant, massive apologies from me, what with holidays and one thing and another I've got so behind. :)

Week 42 Lime Ave, Clumber Park:

Lovely autumn scene, in a great location by the look of it. I bet it's also good in spring when the leaves are just showing. :)

Week 43 Fiery Bamburgh Sunrise:

Oh, this is a stunner. Classic shot and definitely worth a large print. (y)

Week 44 Insey Winsey Spider

I love the bokeh and, as John said, his hairy legs. :LOL:

Week 45 Gone, but never forgotten:

No words needed, Ant. The image is powerful on its own.

Week 46 Theatre Royal, Nottingham

I like the angle and all the lights make the theatre look ready for action. It's a beautiful old building. I like the idea of monochrome, but the tint looks a bit magenta on my screen. I don't dislike it (sorry, that sounds as though I'm damming it with faint praise and isn't what I intended) but I wondered if you'd experimented with any other tints? :)

Jean

I agree with Jean, I can also see why it might cause a bit of a mixed reaction. Nicely handled.

Very nice, I like this one. Well done on not getting run over ;)

Ant, massive apologies from me, what with holidays and one thing and another I've got so behind. :)

Week 42 Lime Ave, Clumber Park:

Lovely autumn scene, in a great location by the look of it. I bet it's also good in spring when the leaves are just showing. :)

Week 43 Fiery Bamburgh Sunrise:

Oh, this is a stunner. Classic shot and definitely worth a large print. (y)

Week 44 Insey Winsey Spider

I love the bokeh and, as John said, his hairy legs. :LOL:

No words needed, Ant. The image is powerful on its own.

I like the angle and all the lights make the theatre look ready for action. It's a beautiful old building. I like the idea of monochrome, but the tint looks a bit magenta on my screen. I don't dislike it (sorry, that sounds as though I'm damming it with faint praise and isn't what I intended) but I wondered if you'd experimented with any other tints? :)

Jean

Thanks for your feedback, all taken on board. I will be printing a large image of the fiery bamburgh shot this weekend :)

With regard to the latest shot and the magenta colouring this is part of the creative age preset in lightroom. You arent the first person to mention this as you will see from my blog comments.

I agree with Jean, I can also see why it might cause a bit of a mixed reaction. Nicely handled.

Very nice, I like this one. Well done on not getting run over ;)

Thanks (y)

Been on a bit of an abstract and texture hunt this week with the camera. I have an upcoming competition that I have been very busy shooting for. This weeks image comes from one of these sets, the shot is more of a texture shot than an abstract. I have converted this shot to b&w as I feel it shows of more of the silver of the tree without any distractions from other colours, also I think it helps to bring out more of the texture of the peeling bark and the knotts. In other news, its nearing the end of the year, we are now on week 47's photo so there is only 5 more shots to go till we hit 52! Im am pleased with myself that I have stuck with this project, and followed it through, there have been times where its been touch and go where I didnt think there was a photo to put up here, but somehow I have managed it. Not sure yet what the plans are for next year regarding the blog, still thinking over a few options for it, in terms of the format. As always though, if you have any ideas/suggestions/requests for things you would like to see up here on the blog leave me a comment and I shall see what I can do! Thanks everyone and have a great week :)

Week 47 - Texture

IMG47.jpg

Very nice Ant, a lot to see in there, and the textures have come out really well. I think mono has really bought this out too.

This really appeals to me, Ant. I presume it's silver birch? I hope you do well in the competition. (y)

It's beautiful and you're right about the b&w bringing out the textures. Mr JG is a keen woodturner, and I love how you can use interesting bark like this to create a beautiful object, giving it a new life after the tree or branch has been felled.

You've inspired me to try some bark pictures of our eucalyptus tree - it's peeling and revealing both colour and texture.

You're a week ahead of most of us, so I hope you enjoy what will be your week 53, watching us all still struggling to get our shot in. I certainly couldn't have managed a blog as well. Well done that man. :clap::clap::clap:

Jean

Very nice Ant, a lot to see in there, and the textures have come out really well. I think mono has really bought this out too.

Thanks. I felt the distraction of the colours took away from the overall theme so glad you like the b&w.

This really appeals to me, Ant. I presume it's silver birch? I hope you do well in the competition. (y)

It's beautiful and you're right about the b&w bringing out the textures. Mr JG is a keen woodturner, and I love how you can use interesting bark like this to create a beautiful object, giving it a new life after the tree or branch has been felled.

You've inspired me to try some bark pictures of our eucalyptus tree - it's peeling and revealing both colour and texture.

You're a week ahead of most of us, so I hope you enjoy what will be your week 53, watching us all still struggling to get our shot in. I certainly couldn't have managed a blog as well. Well done that man. :clap::clap::clap:

Jean

A silver birch it certainly is! I am glad I have inspired you, i will look forward to seeing your interpretation!

Im sure none of you struggle to get your shots, whilst i havent been the best at keeping up with critique for others shots i do manage to check in to some of the 52s and 365s and the quality of the shots is outstanding, so see so many different interpretations of one theme is awesome! Wouldnt life be boring if we all took the same shot, and saw the same thing!

Another this week from the series of abstracts I have been shooting in readiness for this Tuesday evenings "Abstract" themed competition. I would just like to say to anyone from my club viewing this that its not one of my entries :) I shall keep all of them as a surprise for you.

Week 48 - Rainbow Bubbles

IMG48.jpg

Great colours and I like the reflected bubbles. I can't work out how you've done this, but it looks good. :clap::clap:

Just a small niggle - there's a lot of empty space on the left, and I think I'd crop that out, leaving the 'join' between the 2 surfaces on the vertical third. (If that makes sense!)

Let us know how the comp goes - good luck. :)

Jean

Great colours and I like the reflected bubbles. I can't work out how you've done this, but it looks good. :clap::clap:

Just a small niggle - there's a lot of empty space on the left, and I think I'd crop that out, leaving the 'join' between the 2 surfaces on the vertical third. (If that makes sense!)

Let us know how the comp goes - good luck. :)

Jean

Shot was done with a cd on my window sill, drops created with a waterspray, and basically stood at the relevant angle to get the lovely colour :)

Yes agree with your niggle i think, i should have lost the small amount of dead space on the left.

You will see from week 49 just how well i got on in the comp :bonk:

Once again thanks for your comments.

Another shot from my recent abstract mission. This was a shot that was entered into our recent "abstract" competition at our club. It was marked pretty low as were all of my images and those of other accomplished and talented photographers. I believe I witnessed the worst jusge I have ever seen. Shame I had to spend two hours listening to her basically saying all photographs should be taken at F32 and must under all circumstances be full sharp front to back no matter what it is you are trying to shoot!! Anyway, I can safely say I like it, I like the sharpness and detail of the wood, I like the cracks in the wood, I like the slight ageing process I have given it. So to sum up Mrs Worst Judge in the world, I LIKE IT!!

Week 49 - Signs of age

IMG49.jpg

:clap: wonderfull textures you've caught in there Ant. I see you didn't take the judges advice then ;)....

I don't know what I expected with the title 'Signs of age', but I like this. I clearly wasn't the judge!! Judging has to be the worst job in the world, imho, but I can't help wondering what this particular judge did praise - if anything!

Surely a judge should be able to make appropriate comments on technical merit, at least. If this had been the first competition you'd entered it would put you off for life! I don't blame you for sounding p***ed off, Ant.

So just to confirm:

I l i k e i t. (y)

Jean

:clap: wonderfull textures you've caught in there Ant. I see you didn't take the judges advice then ;)....

Me take a judges advice, never! :shrug: To be honest in my 3 years as a member of a camera club i have seen 99% good judges and had a lot of positive feedback and advice from them. I think on this occasion i/we at the club were just unlucky!

I don't know what I expected with the title 'Signs of age', but I like this. I clearly wasn't the judge!! Judging has to be the worst job in the world, imho, but I can't help wondering what this particular judge did praise - if anything!

Surely a judge should be able to make appropriate comments on technical merit, at least. If this had been the first competition you'd entered it would put you off for life! I don't blame you for sounding p***ed off, Ant.

So just to confirm:

I l i k e i t. (y)

Jean

Yeah i didnt really get any positive critique at all from the judge which wasnt very good. I agree it would put you off for life if you were just starting entering comps, and we have a few at our club who are indeed in that position this year having just joined.

I think p***ed off i may have been, but looking back now i think its just one of those things that happens every now and again, maybe said judge shouldnt really be one?! Im not sure but one thing i do know is i couldnt do it!

wow on the bubbles and i have to say signs of age is just my kind of shot (y)

Thanks very much! (y)

A slightly different angle to the Theatre Royal shot posted a few weeks ago. Been processing some of my backlog this weekend and have applied b&w treatment to this shot along with a slight vignette. I am becoming partial to b&w.

Week 50 - Theatre Royal Side View

IMG50.jpg

That's worked very nicely Ant. The composition with the columns and the front of the building works superbly, I'm not sure what's at the end of the tunnel :thinking: but that's ok.

That's worked very nicely Ant. The composition with the columns and the front of the building works superbly, I'm not sure what's at the end of the tunnel :thinking: but that's ok.

Hi Mate,

Yeah i was quite pleased with the composition of the photo. At the end of the tunnel is the tram stop.

Cheers

Ant

Having been cooped up in the house all week due to sickness I am now not far off being back to normal so today I decided to have a wander down by the canal. Lovely low winter light, nice blue skies and of course nice and chilly. Was great to get some fresh air at last. What better opportunity to take the camera with me as well. As you can see I managed to get at least one shot whilst out. Its the first time I have used my new 5d in daylight since I got it and what a pleasure it was too! I can see me getting on with it very nicely and strapped to my 17-40L lens it makes an awesome combo!

Week 51 - Wandering the Grantham Canal

IMG51.jpg

Theatre Royal shot: I could get very partial to b&w shots if they're like this, Ant. I loved your other TR shot and this is just as good imo. There's plenty of architectural detail both in the theatre and in the buildings beyond, and I love the starry lights. It's got a sort of timeless quality about it. Lovely. :clap::clap::clap:

Week 51 Grantham Canal: I'm glad to hear you're feeling better and enjoying your new 5d. That looks a lovely peaceful winter scene and the sky has lots of interest in it. Just a small niggle - the path in the foreground leads the eye through the picture, but because it's so wide bottom right it's quite dominant. I think I'd crop a bit off the bottom - to just below the landing stage. Did you try any other angles?

Looking forward to seeing more from the 5d!! :)

Jean

Merry Christmas everyone! Hope everyone had a good time. Well its almost time for me to sign off this year from my blog. I havent really thought or prepared anything to wright here for my last ramblings of the year. Im happy i kept this going as at some stages along the way i didnt think i would get a photo for that week. I just want to say a huge thanks to everyone who has visited my blog, weather you left comments or not, its great to know that my blog has attracted some attention and that i have recieved feedback from people on my pictures both in written and verbal form. I think its really helped me to come along as a photographer and for that i thank each and every one of you. So i hear you asking, what is happening with your blog in 2010?? Well im afraid i dont have an answer on that yet, i am still deciding what im going to do at the moment so watch this space. This weeks image was taken whilst having a wander along the Grantham Canel in the opposite direction to last weeks shot. I was like a big kid when i woke up on christmas morning and clapped eyes on the snow. I decided it had to feature somehow in this weeks shot. So here it is, all i have done is given it a slight crop/sharpen and added a cold tone preset to the image. Anyway thats all from me folks, as always your comments are always welcome and lastly i would like to wish you all a happy and prosperous new year!!

Week 52 (Final week of the year) - Wandering the Grantham Canal Christmas morning

IMG52.jpg

Back