Any baristas (coffee enthusiasts) among us? :-)

That's the spirit Rich, set her up with a little part time job, with her own coffee shop :D

Not a bad idea at all, but got a bad feeling it might involve me doing something and probably not the fun part.

Would it work if you stick a teabag in it?

Wondered that myself, not sure the water boils, will make a nice cup of milky hot chocolate though.

Would it work if you stick a teabag in it?

Not if you stick it in the machine (although it MIGHT work with a teabag in the handled bit - I'll see if I can talk a mate with a machine very similar to the recently posted pic to give it a try!!!) but the wand to the right will deliver water at close to 100°C - that's how they make tea at the g**f club.

Not if you stick it in the machine (although it MIGHT work with a teabag in the handled bit - I'll see if I can talk a mate with a machine very similar to the recently posted pic to give it a try!!!) but the wand to the right will deliver water at close to 100°C - that's how they make tea at the g**f club.

I can say with absolute certainty that I won't be trying a tea bag in the handle bit.

Probably easier to use the hot water wand!

And safer!!!

Probably easier to use the hot water wand!

Kettle is fine for me, so much simpler with tea.
One spoon of tea per cup and one for the pot, works every time.

I recently bought an electric grinder and the general info I get it to find somewhere local who roast them on site so it's fresh. I think the stuff in the supermarkets can be quite old?

I also read that as well as using water that has cooled down from the boil you should always boil fresh water and not reboil, something to do with the oxygen in the water.

that's how they make tea at the g**f club.
I'm glad to see that word has been added to the swear filter, its a disgrace, NO one, should ever engage in such a disgusting habit :p

I recently bought an electric grinder and the general info I get it to find somewhere local who roast them on site so it's fresh. I think the stuff in the supermarkets can be quite old?

I also read that as well as using water that has cooled down from the boil you should always boil fresh water and not reboil, something to do with the oxygen in the water.

Waitrose have a roasting date on their Union brand coffee, but yes you are right it can be quite old.
Water temperature should be approx 95c and the biggest effect on quality is the grind.
All the above comes from the coffee person in our house and that ain't me

I'm glad to see that word has been added to the swear filter, its a disgrace, NO one, should ever engage in such a disgusting habit :p

No sane person does... :asshat:

Still trying to figure out an easy and safe way to get me, correct clothing and footwear (for both pursuits!) and other equipment on a bike.

The mate I referred to above used to do his own roasting using a corn popper but it was too much of a faff so he now buys it in freshly roasted locally.

Correct tamping also has a huge effect on the coffee outcome.

In my old job I had a tea & coffee company and as I recall they were roasting in bulk everyday and latterly (as far as my grey cells 'work') added a new roasting line.

London based they do have mail-order shopdrury(dot)com

Perhaps they might have blends & roasts that would appeal to you guys 'n gals ;)

Didn't know there is a coffee thread, can someone recommend a set of scales that will automatically starts the timer when the pouring starts?

Hasbean Breakfast Bomb are my fave beans, quite a few Hasbean blends are my faves but its all down to pref... I would personally try Hasbean or Union Hand Roasted, both do some excellent stuff.
I like union hand roasted in my aeropress.
They sell them in Sainsbury's and shows who roasted them and the roasting date on the packet.

There used to be a coffee shop here called Carwardines who roasted their coffee in a big machine which vented out onto the street. Intoxicating!!! On holiday in Crete, we buy our Greek coffee (very finely ground) from a place that has a grinder going pretty much all day. Again, an intoxicating aroma and the coffee is hot from the grinder when it's packed.
Once the current situation is a bit more relaxed, I'm going to try to source some fresh, viable beans/seeds and see if I can grow a couple of bushes, more for interest than in search of the ultimate taste sensation. There's a fairly new place somewhere in town that roasts so they might be able to supply a few seeds.

There used to be a coffee shop here called Carwardines who roasted their coffee in a big machine which vented out onto the street. Intoxicating!!! On holiday in Crete, we buy our Greek coffee (very finely ground) from a place that has a grinder going pretty much all day. Again, an intoxicating aroma and the coffee is hot from the grinder when it's packed.
Once the current situation is a bit more relaxed, I'm going to try to source some fresh, viable beans/seeds and see if I can grow a couple of bushes, more for interest than in search of the ultimate taste sensation. There's a fairly new place somewhere in town that roasts so they might be able to supply a few seeds.

Used to frequent Carwardines in Gloucester docks in my youth. Spent many hours there. Didn’t realise there was more than one.

Even at my most extravagant days i couldn't bring myself spending £9 on 225g of coffee. Before that I did one time try various coffee at different price point from £4 to say £14 and the conclusion was that price is not reflective on flavour.
Your right I have seen plenty of £100/250g coffees!

But this one isn’t so expensive and it’s very much worth it!!! Becomes cheaper as you buy more.

Your right I have seen plenty of £100/250g coffees!

But this one isn’t so expensive and it’s very much worth it!!! Becomes cheaper as you buy more.

Perhaps when my Niche Zero arrives I will try something nicer.

Perhaps when my Niche Zero arrives I will try something nicer.

Am I right in thinking these are return to base (presumably the Far East) for any issues?
Looked at one of these, but couldn't work out where they came from or who was responsible for any taxes

Am I right in thinking these are return to base (presumably the Far East) for any issues?
Looked at one of these, but couldn't work out where they came from or who was responsible for any taxes

I think from what I gather, the designer is UK based, unit is made in Hong Kong, or shipped from Hong Kong and if you have problems instead of sending it back, they send you the part to replace yourself as the unit can be dismantled quite easily I am lead to believe.

I think from what I gather, the designer is UK based, unit is made in Hong Kong, or shipped from Hong Kong and if you have problems instead of sending it back, they send you the part to replace yourself as the unit can be dismantled quite easily I am lead to believe.

Thanks, currently using the grinder in the photo below or at least my wife does.
She mentioned the Niche, but decided against it for the reasons I mentioned.
Be interested to see what you think about it, supposed to be very good

Just got her one of these for her upcoming birthday https://kingdomcoffee.co.uk/macap-automatic-coffee-tamper
She broke her wrist in a fall couple of years ago and its been weak ever since plus she likes gadgets :)

IMG_0923 1.jpg

Thanks, currently using the grinder in the photo below or at least my wife does.
She mentioned the Niche, but decided against it for the reasons I mentioned.
Be interested to see what you think about it, supposed to be very good

Just got her one of these for her upcoming birthday https://kingdomcoffee.co.uk/macap-automatic-coffee-tamper
She broke her wrist in a fall couple of years ago and its been weak ever since plus she likes gadgets :)

View attachment 276926

Yeah, the warranty/fix issue isn’t ideal but that is what you get for a crowd funding item, even though the campaign has finished and they are just using that as their online shop it seems to get around some laws about returns. The parts they used seems to be high quality though, Using a powerful motor with a large Mezzer Kony burr and the whole thing can be dissembled by the user. Hopefully, it will just work and not break down, with no LCD screen or any fancy electronic, less to go wrong.

Lelit Mara? I was looking at one of these, it seems like the go to machine under £1,000. I don’t think getting a £500 machine will be worthwhile over my Gaggia Classic.

That’s quite a lot of money for a tamper, but I guess it is worth it to get the job done.

Last edited:
Yeah, the warranty/fix issue isn’t ideal but that is what you get for a crowd funding item, even though the campaign has finished and they are just using that as their online shop it seems to get around some laws about returns. The parts they used seems to be high quality though, Using a powerful motor with a large Mezzer Kony burr and the whole thing can be dissembled by the user. Hopefully, it will just work and not break down, with no LCD screen or any fancy electronic, less to go wrong.

Lelit Mara? I was looking at one of these, it seems like the go to machine under £1,000. I don’t think getting a £500 machine will be worthwhile over my Gaggia Classic.

That’s quite a lot of money for a tamper, but I guess it is worth it to get the job done.

My wife did a load of research before buying, we were quite limited with space too.
I think the machine she got was just under a grand at the time, paid a little bit more for the knurled knobs
Seems very pleased with it, likes all the messing about and something of a hobby for her

My wife did a load of research before buying, we were quite limited with space too.
I think the machine she got was just under a grand at the time, paid a little bit more for the knurled knobs
Seems very pleased with it, likes all the messing about and something of a hobby for her

Coffee, I guess like anything is a while rabbit hole you can go down and spend some serious money. The rule of diminishing returns also apply here too and like anything you have to draw the line in cost and what you want out of it.

From my research the Niche Zero is what I want in a coffee grinder. I am not a person who actually spend that much money on coffee beans, what I like to do is switch them around often as so I don’t get bored. So a single dose machine suits me. I notice the hopper is empty in the photo, I guess she stores her beans in an air tight jar until she uses it. I don’t do that but I guess I will have to.

Hopefully I will stop before I get too deep into this rabbit hole, I’ve seen people who spends £2,000 on a grinder and £4,000 on a home machine. A Lelit Mara with a Niche Zero would be my happy medium, if I can’t get a good cup of coffee out of that then it’s me, not the machine.

Coffee, I guess like anything is a while rabbit hole you can go down and spend some serious money. The rule of diminishing returns also apply here too and like anything you have to draw the line in cost and what you want out of it.

From my research the Niche Zero is what I want in a coffee grinder. I am not a person who actually spend that much money on coffee beans, what I like to do is switch them around often as so I don’t get bored. So a single dose machine suits me. I notice the hopper is empty in the photo, I guess she stores her beans in an air tight jar until she uses it. I don’t do that but I guess I will have to.

Hopefully I will stop before I get too deep into this rabbit hole, I’ve seen people who spends £2,000 on a grinder and £4,000 on a home machine. A Lelit Mara with a Niche Zero would be my happy medium, if I can’t get a good cup of coffee out of that then it’s me, not the machine.

Yep, airtight jar (Airscape) it is and some little scales too, better quality basket plus other little bits and bobs
The single dose was what attracted her to the Niche, but went for the Mignon in the end
All the reasons we have already discussed plus got it there and then, aesthetics played a tiny part too.
Also had a package deal on if you bought the machine and grinder together
It all came from Bella Barista, very helpful and got a good demo for about an hour or so at their place in Northants

The last sentence is exactly what she always says, good balance before you see diminishing returns.
All seems wildly expensive to me being a confirmed tea drinker, but what is a hobby for if it isn't to chuck cash at it

Last edited:
Yep, airtight jar (Airscape) it is and some little scales too, better quality basket plus other little bits and bobs
The single dose was what attracted her to the Niche, but went for the Mignon in the end
All the reasons we have already discussed plus got it there and then, aesthetics played a tiny part too.
Also had a package deal on if you bought the machine and grinder together
It all came from Bella Barista, very helpful and got a good demo for about an hour or so at their place in Northants

The last sentence is exactly what she always says, good balance before you see diminishing returns.
All seems wildly expensive to me being a confirmed tea drinker, but what is a hobby for if it isn't to chuck cash at it

As as hobby, it’s not too bad, way less than HiFi Audio, Home Cinema or Photography, it’s not like you can have 10 lenses (grinders), at most people have 1 machine set for espresso and one set for pour over. I see all of it as a tool to get good coffee at home, not really a hobby. I got into it because I was spending £3-4 every other day at Starbucks so by my math I would break even in like a year making my own when I bought my basic grinder and machine. That was 14 years ago so I am way ahead, plus these days I am glad to have access to espresso at home at all!

As as hobby, it’s not too bad, way less than HiFi Audio, Home Cinema or Photography, it’s not like you can have 10 lenses (grinders), at most people have 1 machine set for espresso and one set for pour over. I see all of it as a tool to get good coffee at home, not really a hobby. I got into it because I was spending £3-4 every other day at Starbucks so by my math I would break even in like a year making my own when I bought my basic grinder and machine. That was 14 years ago so I am way ahead, plus these days I am glad to have access to espresso at home at all!

She does have another little grinder, mainly in case I ever fancy one of my rare cups of coffee.
Very basic, but does the job, think its a Nemox Lux, apparently a rebadged Iberital MC2
Wife started all this for the same reason, wanted a good coffee at home and it all went from there
Think some of the experimenting adds to her enjoyment, she is a science technician and likes all the messing about

Here you see a modification on the grinder, a familiar item has been used to aid the transition of grind from the spout?

IMG_1026 1.jpg

Last edited:
I havent had a chance to go back through this whole thread yet to pick up machines being used. Is anyone using a budget beans to cup option or budget espresso machine and single dose grinder.
I have a Nespresso machine - long story but ended up being free- but spend a lot on capsules especially when I was furloughed. Have been looking around at a beans option as over 18months what i spend on capsules would cover the cost of the machine

Any recommendations?

She does have another little grinder, mainly in case I ever fancy one of my rare cups of coffee.
Very basic, but does the job, think its a Nemox Lux, apparently a rebadged Iberital MC2
Wife started all this for the same reason, wanted a good coffee at home and it all went from there
Think some of the experimenting adds to her enjoyment, she is a science technician and likes all the messing about

Here you see a modification on the grinder, a familiar item has been used to aid the transition of grind from the spout?

View attachment 276940

The MC2 is my grinder and i can see what she is doing with that sprout as it does spray everywhere. This grinder generates quite a lot of static to the point that I have to put a tea towel under it because i keep finding groud all over the worktop.

The MC2 is my grinder and i can see what she is doing with that sprout as it does spray everywhere. This grinder generates quite a lot of static to the point that I have to put a tea towel under it because i keep finding groud all over the worktop.

All you need is a cheap lens hood from Ebay and a Dremel, works very nicely.

Back