Any baristas (coffee enthusiasts) among us? :-)

Stuart it's supposed to make a much smoother cup of coffee, heard it on the radio yesterday but haven't looked into it as yet. I assume it's the same as hot water brewing but using cold and it takes longer (then you heat it?)

They were all too lightly roasted for my taste, but its not a bad way to try different beans.

Thanks - I think I might start with Rave. When you take the postage into account they look a little more affordable and get good reviews.

I mean, when I've stopped drinking Grumpy Mule off of Amazon ;)

My delivery from rave should be here today.I ordered 350g of their signature blend and the same amount from their italian job blend.

...... And continue to shave :D

Or not! Have been tempted to shave my beard off due to them being fashionable but decided not to let fashion influence me. I'd rather see myself as having been years ahead of my time!

Just got myself a Nespresso Pixie Clips machine. Very quick to use, easy to clean and maintain but above all great coffee. For an extremely busy person like me it's ideal !

Must admit I rarely use my gaggia espresso machine since my wife bought a nespresso pixie. So much quicker, so much cleaner, and the difference in taste is negligible. The milk frother isn't as good as a proper steam wand, but its fine for daily use.
I do still use my Behmor Brazen filter machine a lot though, can't beat a good filter coffee.

Well very impressed with rave! Coffee arrived and so far only tried the "Italian Job" blend but its very very nice.Looking forward to trying the signature blend also.

Yes Italian Job was my go to filter coffee blend. Nice and dark, as I hate light roast filter coffee!

Just received an early Christmas present from my gorgeous wife as I ran out of *&^&^%^%^% (won't use a swearword in this thread :)). Just have my 2nd cup whilst writing this from a De'Longhi bean to cup machine. Hmmm smells so lovely.

Made with Illy Monoarabica Ethiopia - at first a little strange as it has a fruity element to it, but actually really nice coffee.

You NEED to get a sticker made up to replace the L with a J...

Similar to mine..have you sent off for the freebie taster pack of coffees and also the descaler?

You NEED to get a sticker made up to replace the L with a J...
ROFLMAO Very good, didn't even cross my mind

Similar to mine..have you sent off for the freebie taster pack of coffees and also the descaler?
I did indeed this morning :) Let the journey begin on finding the nicest coffee bean. I really like the Illy Ethiopia but even more so when I increase the strength.

For some reason I've never really been a fan of De'Longhi kitchen products, but I have to admit it feels like a quality device. Really like how the water reservoir is accessible from the front.

Just received an early Christmas present from my gorgeous wife as I ran out of *&^&^%^%^% (won't use a swearword in this thread :)). Just have my 2nd cup whilst writing this from a De'Longhi bean to cup machine. Hmmm smells so lovely.

Made with Illy Monoarabica Ethiopia - at first a little strange as it has a fruity element to it, but actually really nice coffee.

Lucky boy!
Spoiled rotten, you. ;)

Here is my machine :)

IMG_0248.JPG

Yes I agree about the front filled water tank,its so much easier!

Any tips from anyone on getting nice frothy milk for a cappuccino. I only seem to manage to increase the volume by watering it down and ending up with a lukewarm latte.

Any tips from anyone on getting nice frothy milk for a cappuccino. I only seem to manage to increase the volume by watering it down and ending up with a lukewarm latte.
Not sure why that is,,the milk wand on mine produces a lovely frothy jug of milk.I fill it just under halfway and place nozzle in about half inch under the surface.Had to experiment to start but after a while you will get the feel for it.

Last edited:
There's a certain angle too, for the optimum use of a steam wand...against the side of the (preferably steel) jug, causing the milk to rotate as it heats.
Sounds shonky, but it works. :)

Thanks both - looks like I need more practise :)

i've got a tip... how to practice without wasting loads of milk.

take your milk jug, add cold water out of the tap, and a single droplet of washing up liquid. You can then experiment with your technique and the soapy water will behave remarkably similarly to skimmed milk. Get your technique nailed on this, then experiment with semi-skimmed or full-fat depending on your taste.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vD--H7poxU

is a pretty good guide - though most "technique" videos will be using a "plain steam wand" rather than the "aerator wands" that are usual fitment on bean-to-cup machines.

Off to the kitchen ...

Dont forget on the delonghi you can remove the outer stainless steel casing which is best for cappucinos and just use the bare wand for lattes etc..Just twist and turn and off it comes.

I don't seem to be getting steam out of it. Just a treacle of water. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

Are you preheating the steam wand?
I was being a total numpty. I was using the steam wand in hot water, i.e. Non steam, mode :)

I now know how to switch to steam and i must admit it wasn't too bad :) need more practise but at least it wasn't watery milk. It looked and tasted like a cappuccino. I'm sure that with a bit more practise I can get this really nice.

I might even look more at that video and attempt latte art :)

Last edited:
I've been a little bewildered by the multitude of choices in the "pod" based systems, looking to pick one up to stick in my home office.
Not really much of a cappuccino or latte drinker so my reading suggests that the Nespresso system would be better for me but would appreciate any pointers!

I was being a total numpty. I was using the steam want in hot water i.e. Non steam mode :)

I now know how to switch to steam and i must admit it wasn't too bad :) need more practise but at least it wasn't watery milk. It looked and tasted like a cappuccino. I'm sure that with a bit more practise I can get this really nice.

I might even look more at that video and attempt latte art
:)

Start with a fern.
Pretty easy, and I guarantee you'll have a grin on your face when you nail the first one. :D

I've been a little bewildered by the multitude of choices in the "pod" based systems, looking to pick one up to stick in my home office.
Not really much of a cappuccino or latte drinker so my reading suggests that the Nespresso system would be better for me but would appreciate any pointers!
Nespresso was good, I found it hard to ensure I had the pods in the house. I also found it hard to find the taste that I liked. But no argument that they aren't convenient. I had it with Nespresso, I had it with Tassimo, I just hate the waste these machines leave behind. For me it was the main motivator to switch, throwing away so much rubbish, not just the pods, but also the packaging. It is just ridiculous, and I'm ashamed I've done that for years.

But definitely convenient, tasty and pretty fool proof.

Start with a fern.
Pretty easy, and I guarantee you'll have a grin on your face when you nail the first one. :D
Thanks for the tip, can't wait. Got to say for my first one this will be pretty promising. Mrs de Jong is going out to get some skinny milk as she is liking the variations I can make with this.

I must admit, I'm building up some respect for baristas. It is actually quite some skilled work to get this right and understand the variations on taste. I'm only experimenting but learning fast how tiny tweaks can impact taste differences.

Back