Any dog photography tips please?

The goblin

<span class="poty">POTY Winner 2015</span></br>
Name
Marsha
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I've had it bought to my attention that the local dog rehoming centre could do with help to photograph the residents. We're hoping that better photos will help people want them more. I'm popping up on Monday to take some photos of the poor dogs that have been there the longest.

Just wandering what's the best tip when photographing dogs? Or are they like kids and just hope they sit still for a nano second!

Get down to their eye level [so wear old clothes, you are going to be on your knees and even your tummy ;) ] and focus on the eyes. Try and ask the handlers to position them with either uncluttered backgrounds or at least so the background is as far away as possible so it just blurs out [this will depend on the layout of the centre and where you are allowed to take them of course, sometimes you really can't do either, so just fill the frame as best you can with the dog to minimise other clutter]. Take lots of pictures, they will move and you will get lots of 'binners' but the more you can get, as long as the dogs are happy with it, the better chance of some really good ones. Try for both full body, sitting and standing and head shots with each dog, be very patient and don't expect them to behave like crufts winners. Oh and most of all, enjoy it ;-)

I do all the photography for my local shelter and it has significantly helped their rehoming rate. In addition to everything Yv has said, it is a great help to have some dog treats, a ball and a squeaker from a dog toy. Careful use of whichever of those motivates the particular dog can give you a nice expression. I always try to get a sweet portrait shot and a sideways on whole body shot so prospective owner can see the dog properly. Photos of the dogs playing if possible are a good idea, too.

That is my problem, too, especially when I photograph the kittens. They are only little, I'm sue one wouldn't be missed!

A good tip, especially with staffies and others with a bad rep is to get cute photos of them interacting with people.
It helps potential owners to visualise them as pets and see past the stereotype

my only experience is with my pets and friends pets, i find it best to keep them busy with toys and treats and picture there playful side and nothing better than a dogs face when a squeaky toy is squeaked. i always find that the first thing a dog does is put his big wet nose allover my lens :banghead:

I finally got the photos in to Flickr! I have decided animals are worse than kids, coupled with uber bright sunlight makes for rather difficult shooting conditions! They weren't allowed off the lead in the nice green area, only in the compound, which didn't provide the best backdrop! The dogs all liked sitting under this water tower thingy on stilts, oh well! The photos are still better than any they had before!!!

4 (I think this is my favourite!

7 I like this one too, more importantly she may have a new home :)

8 There were cats too:

It was a challenge with the cats as they were in doors in quite a dark room for two of them!

They are using my photos to make posters for them so hopefully they'll soon find new homes :)

Last edited:
Back