Any fishkeepers out there?

You may well be right! Such similar looking fish.

Indeed, I spent a lot of time looking for a real algae eater for my tank, as it was, the shop were selling it as a Flying fox :LOL: :bonk: But as it cleared my hair algae, I'm happy it was the real deal :D

There's also a Chinese Algae eater that looks similar but which, apparently doesn't eat algae. :LOL: But only the SAE has the outlined scales and the rough edges to the black line.

Indeed, I spent a lot of time looking for a real algae eater for my tank, as it was, the shop were selling it as a Flying fox :LOL: :bonk: But as it cleared my hair algae, I'm happy it was the real deal :D

There's also a Chinese Algae eater that looks similar but which, apparently doesn't eat algae. :LOL: But only the SAE has the outlined scales and the rough edges to the black line.

Very well worth knowing! Could be useful one day. I've never had major algae problems before that pleas or just common algae eaters can't solve but atleast i know the one to call in if i do ;)

3's a flying fox, what type of syno is syd? I recognise the markings but cant think of the name.
Not sure, I inherited him. A quick google and I think he is a "Synodontis decorus"

#3 looks more like a Siamese Algae Eater to me, the black line is less rugged on the Flying fox, and the scales above the line are outlined.

Thanks Andrew, was not sure. My wife bought me a pair ages ago when I was having trouble with algae, which they sorted out in no time :clap:

Thanks Andrew, was not sure. My wife bought me a pair ages ago when I was having trouble with algae, which they sorted out in no time :clap:

No problem, The Flying fox will, as far as I know, clear some algae, but the SAE is one of only a couple of fish that'll clear the Hair Algae. I ended up with some after buying some Java Moss - Never again :LOL:

Greetings all.
This is along shot I know but... Is there antyone in here in Dorset (or west hampshire) who could rehome a large clown loach with some of its kin? He/she must be 8 years old or more but is on his own after his companion died a year ago. I understand clown loach should be kept in shoals but I am running my tank down slowly and dont want to add more fish to it.
Also have a 8" long pleco that could do with rehoming.
Cheers.

Another question, can anyone recommend a fairly active fishkeeping forum? Ive tried practicalfishkeeping but hardly ever get an answer. Thanks

Greetings all. This is along shot I know but... Is there antyone in here in Dorset (or west hampshire) who could rehome a large clown loach with some of its kin? He/she must be 8 years old or more but is on his own after his companion died a year ago. I understand clown loach should be kept in shoals but I am running my tank down slowly and dont want to add more fish to it. Also have a 8" long pleco that could do with rehoming. Cheers.

Aargh, my tank is too small to take anymore. Have you tried your local fish shop? I know the one near me said he would take my Synodontis if he got too big for my tank. Hope you find a home for them all

Cheers Michael.
Im sure the LFS would take them but there's no guarantee they wouldnt get sold to the next joe public who wanders in looking for one is there. I'd rather they go to a stable home with an experienced fish keeper.
Wondering if a public aquarium somewhere might be interested.

Holy thread revival :p

Gave up on the bigger fish - Gouramis, Albino Sharks etc ages ago.

Went back to tiddlers and the tank has been doing great however my eldest lost her mojo as (it's only natural) she's now a teenager !

Anyway, my 2nd eldest daughter (6) has wanted to 'take over' for ages so today I let her choose her first few fish as we've more than enough room.

These tiddlers have been happy for years but hardly impact on an 80L tank:

3 Peppered Cory
3 Glass Catfish
5 Neon Tetra
4 Lemon Tetra

We've now introduced some Red Wag Platy - 3 females and a male.

Live-bearing fish I know but we'll see how we go.

Last edited:
kids marina 360 tank in hallway = 2 goldfish

wifes 54l tank in conservatory = 4 corys, 1 albino plec & 7 rasboras

my 55l cube = 8 rainbow fish(dwarf neon variety absolutely stunning), 1 fighter, 1 plec & 1 cory

my new baby 94l River Reef LED, currently just has 1 turban snail and 1 dwarf mexican red crab, shouldn't be too long(fingers xxxd) for a couple of hardy corals and fish

IMG_20150213_073737220_HDR_zps3xxzkftz.jpg

Pond, fish tank, whatever, all I seem to do is cultivate algae of one form or another. The ponds currently full of blanket weed, in the middle of winter ffs, and the glass on the aquarium goes greener faster than you can fill a bucket for a water change.

Hi ,the wife and i inherited quite a large tank from our sons ex girlfriend .I find them so soothing to watch but the tanks a bugger to keep clean ...ie,the inside of the glass ...any tips or do's & not to do's regarding this
Green or brown algae ?

Lol!! Prepare for baby fry!! I love cory's

I'll have to keep an eye out for bulging Platy tummies. If anything happens I may get one of those little tanks within a tank to see if we can rear some. Seems if you just let things happen in the main tank they either get gobbled up or perish due to being unable to compete for grub.

Regarding the peppered Corys - we've had them a long time in fact from memory we got them when we first started keeping fish. One is called 'Big Mamma' and she would frequently decorate the tank with eggs. They always got hoovered up by the others though.

Green algae = too much light reduce the number of hours you have the lights on in the evening hth mike
Ok.

On a 4' by 12" by 15" tank I have currently 2 fluorescent strips, staggered by half an hour but on for 8 hours a day from 11am to 7pm. You think this is too long then?

Thanks.

Ok.

On a 4' by 12" by 15" tank I have currently 2 fluorescent strips, staggered by half an hour but on for 8 hours a day from 11am to 7pm. You think this is too long then?

Thanks.
Yep reduce by about 3 hrs a day if you want to see your fish more then move your times towards the evening :)

Ok.

Thanks.

Also worth asking - Is it near a window getting sunshine on it ?

Yep reduce by about 3 hrs a day if you want to see your fish more then move your times towards the evening :)

that would make it below the recommended natural photoperiod though, 8 is the minimum I will keep fish under light per day, I might then switch to blue moon on the 2 tanks I have blue leds on but white light 8 minimum on all 4 tanks but 11-12 on the wifes planted tropical..

for me reducing the hours of light lower than 8 is not the answer, next thing you will be having problems with brown algae through lack of light.. get a pleco and if needed a snail(although I hate tropical snails). also look at fish that love algae so you run a magnet along the tank and the fish will devour it helping a) reduce the algae b) reduce the need for food and c)give them something to do.

Green algae = too much light reduce the number of hours you have the lights on in the evening hth mike
mmm, not the only issue, light is just one part of the algae curse ... in my experience it is usually a combination of lack of CO2, poor circulation, poor husbandry and inappropriate lighting for the given fertilisation ...
a coupe of good articles http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm and http://www.aquariumalgae.blogspot.co.uk/ and lots of useful info and help on UKAPS http://www.ukaps.org/forum/

Last edited:
looks stunning Tom!

just off to see if I can get a couple of nice Severums for mine at the weekend

sort ya therm out @TomB its wonky :)

not my style but got to agree lovely set up and I will NOT be showing it to the wife as that is pretty much bang on her style which is why we have separate tropical tanks.. the marine is going to be for us all to have a say which luckily with me being more interested in coral and the wife more about the fish it should be okay, been watching the turban snail and the mexican crab moving over the live rock today, absolutely amazing to watch.

we have clown loaches, silver dollars, algae eaters, a synodontis and another fish that looks like a clown loach but isnt. Everything else seems to die on us.

looks stunning Tom!

just off to see if I can get a couple of nice Severums for mine at the weekend
Ah I miss my Severums! I had a breeding pair of a female honey Severum and. Male red, they were the highlight of my tank by far. Enjoy :D

My Wife has a Vision 180 with Assorted platys including some lovely somerset's, Tetra's and a snail.
Bloody Platys won't stop breeding we've loads of little'uns.
We don't bother with the nursery enclosure anymore and let them fend for themselves and they do very well with a small squirt of Liquifry for live bearers.

Vision 180

The Boy Snail.
Not a very good picture through the Glass.

My Wife has a Vision 180 with Assorted platys including some lovely somerset's, Tetra's and a snail.
Bloody Platys won't stop breeding we've loads of little'uns.
We don't bother with the nursery enclosure anymore and let them fend for themselves and they do very well with a small squirt of Liquifry for live bearers.

That's good to know. I think if my new platys get jiggy with it - I'll leave things alone and see how any fry get on.

that would make it below the recommended natural photoperiod though, 8 is the minimum I will keep fish under light per day, I might then switch to blue moon on the 2 tanks I have blue leds on but white light 8 minimum on all 4 tanks but 11-12 on the wifes planted tropical..

for me reducing the hours of light lower than 8 is not the answer, next thing you will be having problems with brown algae through lack of light.. get a pleco and if needed a snail(although I hate tropical snails). also look at fish that love algae so you run a magnet along the tank and the fish will devour it helping a) reduce the algae b) reduce the need for food and c)give them something to do.
not if he has his curtains open all day ;) you have to add "available light" to the equation (y)

Pond, fish tank, whatever, all I seem to do is cultivate algae of one form or another. The ponds currently full of blanket weed, in the middle of winter ffs, and the glass on the aquarium goes greener faster than you can fill a bucket for a water change.
Rye grass in the pond will help. They come in little bails. Just put on a ledge and forget about them. hth Mike.

Well in the process of spending a worrying amount of money getting my pond back operational...I have a duel pond with a large pond which the fish live in and then above it a combined water garden/pond/filter pond, that acts as a second stage to the big filter box...

It's a bit of a long story so switch off now if you get bored easily :LOL:

My dad built the pond originally about 15-20 years ago, but when his health took a turn for the worse about 8 years ago it was left to basically look after itself...so 2 years ago I had a couple of guys come in and do some work to get the pond back onto service, to be honest they didn't do all that good of a job, and as a result a lot of the fish out in two years back are no longer there :(

So fast forward to this year, the cheap pump that pair put in that failed quickly was replaced with a much more capable unit, and a large self set tree was removed from the side of the top pond and the pipe that this tree distroyed was also renewed at this stage...we also discovered that the armoured cable for the pumps power needed replacing so I had to order 50m of armoured cable...

Now unfortunsntly on powering up the pump it quickly became apparent that large tree mentioned earlier has also had a bad effect of top pond liner as we started too lose a lot of water out of the system...

So now this coming Tuesday will be a big day for the pond as a new liner is sat here ready to be installed and then also on Tuesday I'll be taking delivery of some new fish to live in the main pond...a little earlier than I'd planned but I got a good deal on them :LOL: :LOL: so soon the main pond will be home to 20 x 7-8 inch koi and 20 x 5-6 inch gold fish of various species

It's a little odd for me but the price was a significant saving over using my local aquatics supplier...never had livestock through the post before :p

I have a small number of grass carp in my pond, they do a very effective job of keeping the blanket weed and duck weed in control (y)

Back