Any fishkeepers out there?

introduced a small 2x2inch ish Xenia frag earlier with instant results, looking very happy, fingers xxxd the tank is ready to go :)

16339591748_1f2906d5f8_c.jpg

Back in the day i used to have ponds. Plagued with blanket weed winter and summer. I sorted it by obtaining two large magnets from speakers (the bigger the better), picked them up from the local dump. Placed them on either side of of the pump return pipe. I really does work, for the life of me i cannot remember where i read about it.:)

Back in the day i used to have ponds. Plagued with blanket weed winter and summer. I sorted it by obtaining two large magnets from speakers (the bigger the better), picked them up from the local dump. Placed them on either side of of the pump return pipe. I really does work, for the life of me i cannot remember where i read about it.:)
i had heard about this but never tried it?

Ahh that's better some fine young uns there Matt :)

Cheers Mike, I'm really pleased with them, not least as its the first time I've ordered fish rather thsn going to pick my fish but to be honest if I'd have gone to pick them I'd have come away with a selection just like what I have....I can see them growing well over the summer :D

I put my first LPS hard coral in today, a lovely brown with green tips torch. also chose my Clownfish which I should be introducing sunday or monday.. and had to drag my wife away from the electric flame scallops, not my thing but amazing to watch and my wife would without hesitation have purchased, but I have no interest.. they are amazing though..

they do it to attract the plankton.. its pretty darn amazing.

spent this afternoon setting up another marine tank in the conservatory for the good lady.. it is very addictive best hobby I have known; chilling out with a glass of something and listening to music whilst watching my own little slice of reef is an absolute delight.

spent this afternoon setting up another marine tank in the conservatory for the good lady.. it is very addictive best hobby I have known; chilling out with a glass of something and listening to music whilst watching my own little slice of reef is an absolute delight.

I get the same with the pond, or will do when the weather warms a little :p

A few years ago I dug a pond in the garden. The ground sloped away from the patio & was planning on it being about 5' X 4' & a couple of feet deep.
I marked the shape out then started digging & piled up the spoil next to me as I went round.
By the time I'd finished digging it had expanded to about 12' X 8' & 4.5' at the deepest point! :confused:(no thought given to removing the waste :oops: :$ ) I had to build a small retaining wall around it. :LOL:

Cost a fair bit for a butyl liner and I later bought a Hippo trench-pump, which ran the water through a home made filter system which I made using an old plastic loft `header tank`.

Had loads of plants in it and around the margins. Some of the fish bred in it.

Used to love sitting & staring in the pond & listening to the water. :cool:

I am doing a pond this year, local fish shop has just started getting stock in ready for 'pond season' and advised there is no point starting to dig until at least april.

I don't really understand that, while it may not be worth putting fish in till then, getting the pond done sooner will mean the water has that much longer to acclimate and settle, loosing any chemicals put in by your local water supplier

I don't really understand that, while it may not be worth putting fish in till then, getting the pond done sooner will mean the water has that much longer to acclimate and settle, loosing any chemicals put in by your local water supplier

I understood it; pond is only going to be 24 x 8 ft but its probably going to take me all summer to build so I doubt it will be ready for use until next year.

After some advice please!
My wife bought a small second hand tank with filter from a pet shop in our town for my daughter, it's about 20ltrs
We set it up and prepared it for some fish, last night we went and got 2 small minow type fish popped them in! This morning I've gone down and the water is quite cloudy!
Any reason why this may of happened! I'm thinking the pump may not be sufficient!
The pump is looks similar to this!
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/111441620496
But it hasn't got the long dog legged spout!
Any advice welcome don't really want to kill them if I can help it!! :exit:

Last edited:
After some advice please!
My wife bought a small second hand tank with filter from a pet shop in our town for my daughter, it's about 20ltrs
We set it up and prepared it for some fish, last night we went and got 2 small minow type fish popped them in! This morning I've gone down and the water is quite cloudy!
Any reason why this may of happened! I'm thinking the pump may not be sufficient!
The pump is looks similar to this!
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/111441620496
But it hasn't got the long dog legged spout!
Any advice welcome don't really want to kill them if I can help it!! :exit:
How long did you leave between filling up the tank and putting the fish in?
Is it a heated tank or coldwater?
Did you put "Tap safe" (or a similar de chlorinator) in the water before adding the fish?
Have you fed the fish yet? What with and how much?

I could also add, did you put gravel in the bottom of the tank and if so did you rinse it all clean first? Even if you did there will likely still be some cloudiness. The filter (pump) will eventually clear it.

It isn't heated, they are temperate fish which we were told was fine in cold water tank the tank was filled 2 days before we put fish in, the water was crystal clear up until this morning so after we added the 2 fish! The fish were fed last night with fish flakes for perpetrate fish..

Get an ammonia test kit from the lfs - it is probably starting to cycle, ammonia is extremely toxic to fish. When using tap water you should use a dechlorinator (tap safe, prime or similar) - all UK supplied tapw ater contains either chlorine or chloramine - which are also toxic to fish. Test the water for ammonia and post back.

It isn't heated, they are temperate fish which we were told was fine in cold water tank the tank was filled 2 days before we put fish in, the water was crystal clear up until this morning so after we added the 2 fish! The fish were fed last night with fish flakes for perpetrate fish..
Did you have the pump(filter) running for the 2 days prior to the fish going in?

If they're only 2 small fish, you don't need much fish food. Less than half your little finger fingernail will probably be more than adequate once or twice a day. I doubt its food causing the clouding up though so soon.

Just leave the filter running now and keep an eye on the tank, I'm betting the water will slowly start to clear.

If you have sited the tank where any sunlight at all can get to it during the day, prepare yourself for an algae invasion as well.

This is the sort of stuff to use for any water you intend putting in the aquarium:
View attachment 32488
Other brands than tetra are available. wilkinsons do one for goldfish tanks. The Range also do a couple including the tetra one.

Another thing is when you come to do a water change, you want the water you put in to be near the temperature of the water already in the tank, within a degree or so anyway. Use a boiled kettle to top up cold in your bucket and leave thermometer in the bucket to check. Once correct, stir in the relevant dose of the aqua safe treatment and you're good to go. You shouldnt need to change the water for a while yet though.

Maybe have a quick read through this as well. The air pump is far from essential so dont worry too much about that yet.

Last edited:
Have tested and all seems ok apart from my wallet being a bit lighter! Very slight change in colour on the very edge of the test strip pad!

Have tested and all seems ok apart from my wallet being a bit lighter! Very slight change in colour on the very edge of the test strip pad!
If you only put 2 small ones in yesterday its a bit soon yet for ammonia build up I'd say. Try checking once a day to start with, or every 2 days if your wallet is still suffering form the extortionate prices the pet shops charge for everything!

If you have a camera why not stick a photo up of your tank in here?

Did you have the pump(filter) running for the 2 days prior to the fish going in?

If they're only 2 small fish, you don't need much fish food. Less than half your little finger fingernail will probably be more than adequate once or twice a day. I doubt its food causing the clouding up though so soon.

Just leave the filter running now and keep an eye on the tank, I'm betting the water will slowly start to clear.

If you have sited the tank where any sunlight at all can get to it during the day, prepare yourself for an algae invasion as well.

This is the sort of stuff to use for any water you intend putting in the aquarium:
View attachment 32488
Other brands than tetra are available. wilkinsons do one for goldfish tanks. The Range also do a couple including the tetra one.

Another thing is when you come to do a water change, you want the water you put in to be near the temperature of the water already in the tank, within a degree or so anyway. Use a boiled kettle to top up cold in your bucket and leave thermometer in the bucket to check. Once correct, stir in the relevant dose of the aqua safe treatment and you're good to go. You shouldnt need to change the water for a while yet though.

Maybe have a quick read through this as well. The air pump is far from essential so dont worry too much about that yet.
Just bought some of that Aqua safe I shall add the correct amount, the tank isn't situated near any sunlight so hope that'll stop the green invasion!

If you only put 2 small ones in yesterday its a bit soon yet for ammonia build up I'd say. Try checking once a day to start with, or every 2 days if your wallet is still suffering form the extortionate prices the pet shops charge for everything!

If you have a camera why not stick a photo up of your tank in here?

I would put a picture up but I'd probably get band from the forum due to patheticness of it!:p

With regards to my previous posts all is fine now in the tank, have now added a couple more fish a plea and a couple of shrimp, I now have a light fitted to lid, Is it best to turn the light out for periods of time? Thanks

My light blew last week so replaced it with something different.

Noticed a slight algae issue with the new light so I reduced the hours, did a 25% change and thought all was well.

Lost 2 Lemon Tetra in the last couple of days :(

Tested the water today and it's showing between 0.25 and 0.50 ammonia

Treated it but will see how I go.

Last edited:
I now have a light fitted to lid, Is it best to turn the light out for periods of time? Thanks
Yes. Best bet is to get a plug in segment timer or similar so there is a regular routine. Set it on for about 8 hours a day. Choose the 8 hours to suit your needs but dont have it from 10pm to 6am in the morning. 12 noon til 7 or 8 pm or something. I also dont bother changing the timer when the clocks go back or forward. So my lights go off at 7pm in winter and 8pm in summer.

Last edited:
My light blew last week so replaced it with something different.

Noticed a slight algae issue with the new light so I reduced the hours, did a 25% change and thought all was well.

Lost 2 Lemon Tetra in the last couple of days :(

Tested the water today and it's showing between 0.25 and 0.50 ammonia

Treated it but will see how I go.

The last Lemon Tetra was dead this morning.

Last edited:
Back