Any fishkeepers out there?

A 60l is too big for where I want to put it. I used to have a 60l one but I don't have the room for it at the moment.

I also quite like the Boyu BYG-26.

Thing is it needs to pass the SWMBO approval. Where as id rather have some thing that is easier when it comes to the cleaning process.

If anyone can suggest any up to 26l tanks to look at please do.

Cheers

The biggest issue with the Edge tank is that you'll always be limited by the gas exchange surface area. Very stylish, but not very practical for getting oxygen in and preventing acidification through CO2 accumulation.

Whilst the old inches-per-gallon rules were potentially misleading and encouraged over-stocking, the even older inches-per-squarefoot rules were appropriate. I wonder what stocking limit would be suggested for an Edge based on the available open water surface area?

Very nearly went with a Fluval Edge but ended up getting this 60L one from Pets at Home. It's got a glass lid that opens and the light sits above it.

Can't remember it's name now though :thinking:

4537217561_8695e15fc3_z.jpg

AquaOne Horizon 60...?
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=3036285&postcount=14

I like the look of the Fluval Edge but cleaning could be a pain due to the smaller opening.
Looks nice though and a good size for where I want it in the kitchen....

be careful in kitchens ---lotsa cooking fumes can be drawn into the water surface
i have an AquaOne 60 in the kitchen with a single cellophane Betta

he survives well at the minimum stocking level...:LOL:
100_0370.JPG
[/IMG]

My old ma just got that 60L tank from Pets At Home along with a cabinet to put it on, seemed a fair deal and now has two types of Tetras in there.

I bought a s/hand Aquael 54L for the overflow Guppy tank, nothing flashy, but happy for 35 quid including heater, had to buy a filter so got a Fluval U1 new off Ebay for fifteen quid

Our main tank is a Hagen Tropiquarium 88, think its about 130L and has the biolife filtration system, getting harder to get the filters now as its been superceded. Manual setting for the lights has recently gone too, but its still fine on the timer, might have to think about bit of an overhaul soon

Last edited:
Beautiful Betta there John. He's a really handsome boy :love:

yes he is....tried to keep Red Cherry Shrimp in there

ah.ha ....he fed well on all the baby ones so I moved them to their own tank

yeah..spent £££ on new tank, black gravel, heater, filter just to save 50 shrimp...:wacky:.....:D

hi

I have a betta 680 marine tank.

Bubble magnus na6c skimmer
Led lighting
Rowa Reactor
Carbon Reactor

Been up and running about 3 years and been through way too many re-scapes

DSC_0134.jpg

DSCF12622.jpg

DSC_0407-1.jpg

Used to keep Marines and I really miss those Midas blennys. They are so funny and cute. Hiding in their little hole. Popping their heads out. Having a good look around. Popping out and having a little swim around and then back into their holes.
They were up to something I know it. Could never figure out what it was though.

Now just keep Discus.

I'm going to give up Dwarf Gourami

Started off with 3 about a year ago - lost 1 then all was OK.

Lost another so rather than have 1 we introduced 2 new ones.

A month or so ago one of the new ones died and tonight the original one died leaving just one of the new ones.

All the other fish seem fine - just this Gourami issue.

I set up my first aquarium in September last year. It's only a little 70l Jewel Rekord but I'm really happy with it.

Current stock:

2 Male Guppies
2 Dwarf Guramis
3 Black Phantom Tetras
2 Red Phantom Tetras
4 Cardinal Neons
2 Red Sword Tails (M & F and there have been babies/food for the bigger fish)
2 Clown Loaches

I did get 3 female siamese fighters after being assured they'd be OK with the rest of my fish but soon after putting them in their my male guppies lost chunks of tail :thinking:

The place I bought them from took them back and I did kind of exchange with the Guramis.

Had a bout of algae (mainly hair algae) which seems to have been sorted nicely with the anti algae treatment mentioned earlier in the thread (y)

My tank/fish can be seen here http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=f93fe00df5

i wouldnt recomend suckers or bristlenose for a 70l tank, thats just irresponcible as they will grow and grow and grow and can create more waste than anything else in that tank...

if your wanting a fish to clear out hair algae look into getting black mollys, they eat alot of it, but tbh you have enough fish for that tank as it is...

Are you familiar with Bristlenose ? Bristlenose only grow to about 5"
Smaller than the clowns and about the same size as that molly you are proposing.

I do agree with you on stocking levels on a 70l tank though.

Last edited:
I know I'm up to my stock limit right now and that in a few months time I'll probably need to re-home at least one of my clowns. I bought them in November when they were about an inch long and one of them is already a good 2.5"-3" inches.

Did hear certain shrimps can be good for algae and/or getting some more plants?

Thought I'd give this thread a bit of a bump as I've been posting about my tanks on some other forums.

First up, 3' square self-sustaining setup (fish eat shrimp, snails and many other invertebrates that live among the plants and leaf litter). No water changes, emergent plants do the filtering, I just get my flatmate to top up ther water now and again when I go away on fieldwork:

widek.jpg

sidekd.jpg

bm2r.jpg

And a little 27l nano I've just set up to keep some shrimp in:

nano1b.jpg

nano2o.jpg

Nice stuff :)

I've recently got into Marine at that start of this year :)

Got a 500 odd litre reef tank.

Was going to make a post to see if there were any reefers on here :)

Anyone on ultimatereef/thesaltybox?

Miss having a nice planted tropical tank, think i'll have another 1 1 day.

Just got back off holiday to find eggs all over the side the tank.

Quick poke about on the net - looks as though my Peppered Cory/s have spawned.

Not really sure what to do with them but I take it they'll get eaten up if I leave them ?

Last edited:
I've got a Juwel 190 Trigon, upgraded from a 70 litre tank because it's got a 12"+ plec in it as well as various tetras, a blue ram and some mollies.

Just discovered my 6" Albino Rainbow Shark like this. The fins are moving and so are the gills but he's just drifting around the tank with the current in this bent state.

7834153588_90cd74bca0.jpg

Thanks Heather - I suspect so but I'm not sure.

I noticed earlier that he was rising and falling which is very unusual for him as he nearly always sits in his tunnel in the dark at the bottom of the tank. After tea he was kind of vertical and still (lips on the surface) but when I leaned over the tank he swam back down.

Now he just seems lifeless apart from the gills moving slightly. I also think that bent shape is quite stiff it that makes sense.

Not looking good anyway.

Last edited:
I have a 4ft freshwater tropical tank 24 uk gal, 29 us gal

5 neon tetras
3 male guppies
2 cory catfish

The second tank is a 10 gal used as a QT

largetank1.jpg

Thanks Heather

One of the little fish wouldn't be a problem but being a bigger fish I'm struggling to think of something I could put him in but will have a look.

That fish's swim bladder has gone mate - sorry. It's not gonna get better.

Thanks for the honesty CT

Just been through for another look and he's just the same.

Seemed very sudden.

Not sure whether to leave him in this state or just euthanize if he's suffering.

Last edited:
How have I only just discovered this thread :( I've been a fish keeper for over 15 years, good knowledge of cichlids, had a nice big 5ft fully planted set up until I sold it a few months back to fund a big sigma lens, there's pics on my Flickr if anybody is interested.

Currently saving up for a 6ft 800ltr tank which will be a wild caught discus biotope ;)

Matt

Hi Matt

Just about to head off to bed.

Do I euthanize Feargal Sharkey now or let him float about ?

I'm a fisherman but this is my daughters biggest fish.

Last edited:
Based on it's condition and what I read - I've euthanized the fish.

All the little fish seem OK

Got a 500 odd litre reef tank.

Was going to make a post to see if there were any reefers on here :)

Anyone on ultimatereef/thesaltybox?

Miss having a nice planted tropical tank, think i'll have another 1 1 day.

Registered on The Salty Box as PaulM.

Taking delivery of my new cube today (y)

Based on it's condition and what I read - I've euthanized the fish.

All the little fish seem OK

Sorry about Feargal, Phil, but good that the others seem OK.

Can't do much if it was the swim bladder, not that that helps :(

Heather

Thanks for the honesty CT

Just been through for another look and he's just the same.

Seemed very sudden.

Not sure whether to leave him in this state or just euthanize if he's suffering.
I think you've done the right thing. The kindest way is to just bounce the fish hard off a surface such as the floor. Sounds horrible, but it's the quickest way.

There are all sorts of supposed remedies out there for swim bladder disease, but I've never known them do any good and I used to spend a lot of time with a mate who ran a shop selling tropical and marine fish. It's usually down to either a blockage or an infection in the swim bladder , and the latter could well be contagious.

I think you've done the right thing. The kindest way is to just bounce the fish hard off a surface such as the floor. Sounds horrible, but it's the quickest way.

There are all sorts of supposed remedies out there for swim bladder disease, but I've never known them do any good and I used to spend a lot of time with a mate who ran a shop selling tropical and marine fish. It's usually down to either a blockage or an infection in the swim bladder , and the latter could well be contagious.

I just fished him out late last night. I wasn't sure if he'd died by that point anyway but I did just give him one hard knock on the back of the head to make absolutely sure.

My youngest daugter burried him in the garden this afternoon which I felt silly doing LOL but she's seen me doing it with cats and dogs over the last year so fair enough.

I thinks it's best you test your water conditions for ammonia nitrate nitrite and ph, if any of these are abnormal try will stress the fish, lowering its immune system and so it succumbed to disease,

What else do you have in your tank?

I thinks it's best you test your water conditions for ammonia nitrate nitrite and ph, if any of these are abnormal try will stress the fish, lowering its immune system and so it succumbed to disease,

What else do you have in your tank?

Will do but it's been fine.

In terms of stock - it's very sparse.

3 X Ghost Catfish - They just like to shimmer in the flow around mid level

3 X Zebra Danio - Pretty much stay up top

3 X Peppered Cory - the bottom feeders 2 little males and 1 big female that spawns

Back