Any knife/weapons collectors on here?

Jings! mine are still on the slow boat. You must tell me your secret sometime :)
It was odd I had a tick box come up that said something about processing this order faster so checked the box and paid for insured tracking and like I say 8 days to arrive.Not seen that option before when ordering.

Cool I'll look for that next time.

........My Favourite sandwich knife is an ancient, pre first war Dinner style bladed (stainless steel) knife that belonged to my wife's mother. .....

the sharpest knife i ever saw was a 8'' chefs knife in (carbon steel i think) - belonged to my Dad in the 1950s
just looked at my 5 knives faded logos with a mag glass - they are all 4star Zwilling JA Henckels so well worth renovating i think..:)
present prices total £257...:rolleyes:

Love the SRM but the Madrock is just ugly! :)

Just ordered a new ganzo and went for the faster processing again..be interesting to see how long it takes as went on to live chat to confirm the faster method as was an error when ordering.Lauren assured me it would arrive swiftly lol

My order just left Heathrow yesterday. Weird thing about tracking it, the RM tracker gives a wrong number/try again error but if you click on "where has my parcel been" it shows the right tracking info.

I like both but the Lansky is a more interesting shape of blade.

SRM 7062 and a Harnds Lark, the lark is tiny and very sharp as my thumb can attest :(

harndssrm.jpg

I really must get the mini studio set up again photo quality is shocking.

Nice little knives mate.Had an email saying my knife is on back order so can have refund or choose something else.I'm going to wait a week and see if they get it in cause its a really nice knife.

would fasttech have it?

Email today saying they have dispatched the ganzo happy days!

..and its landed in UK today! Hopefully be here in day or so,pretty good going from gearbest.

Bit sad. I've just discovered that Rob Brown (South African knife maker) died of cancer a couple of months ago. His website is still at http://www.robbrownknives.com/ if anyone would like to see his work. I have one of his drop point hunters, but mine has wild olive scales and a satin finished blade.

Goodbye Rob. You were a master, and a gentleman.

I'd like to see it if you want to get the camera out Martyn :)

I already have a green 1 so maybe I'll swap one scale off each to the other, make it more exciting :D

I'd like to see it if you want to get the camera out Martyn :)

I will, but I'm in Scotland with my wife at the moment. The knife's in SA, but I should be back there in January.

It's basically the same as No 102 on Rob's old website (http://www.robbrownknives.com/view_knife.php?id=1&catagory=Hunting), on the hunting knives tab, but mine has wild olive scales and a satin finished blade. I wanted wild olive because it's South African and attractive, and I'm not too keen on mirror polished blades.

Rob only made knives to order, either to his own designs - which could be customised to your requirements - or he'd work with you on a completely bespoke knife.

The red Boker arrived today.. Identical in size and shape to the green but I do like the red colour :)

hhboker2.jpg hhboker1.jpg

Tried the Smith's sharpener that I got in the States this afternoon.

Pro's.

Well made.

Knife is held very securely by the vice.

Looks awkward to hold but really very easy.

If all your knives are 25° or above, it sharpens them fine.

Con's.

The sharpening stones are not so easy to grip.

Your fingers are pretty close to the blade:oops: :$

If all your knives are 20°, like mine, then the problems start:mad:

Basically, if the blade is 1/2" wide or less, the stone sharpens the vice!

You can just get away with 3/4" wide, but very close to the vice closing knobs.

If blades are wider than an inch or more, it works fine on 20°

3. This is on an 1 1/4" wide blade and it misses the tightening knob, but not by much!

Last edited:
Pretty much the same as the Lansky, fingers toooooo close to the blade for comfort.

Well mine still hasnt arrived from gearbest..despite arriving in the uk almost 2 weeks ago???.What could be the delay this end?Strange they can get it from china to uk in few days yet heathrow to Hertfordshire is taking a lifetime!

Pretty much the same as the Lansky, fingers toooooo close to the blade for comfort.

I use Lansky, and I know what you mean, but is this mainly psychological or a real risk? I'm thinking the former. I doubt if they'd still sell it in the litigious USA if there was a history of severed digits! :D

Potentially useful thread on lighting knives from Garry Edwards in the lighting section. He's asking if the subject is worth him doing a tutorial on. There's a poll if anyone's interested.

Well mine still hasnt arrived from gearbest..despite arriving in the uk almost 2 weeks ago???.What could be the delay this end?Strange they can get it from china to uk in few days yet heathrow to Hertfordshire is taking a lifetime!

I've had that or similar before, sometimes the knife has left and is on it's way but the tracking stopped when it arrived in the UK.

Potentially useful thread on lighting knives from Garry Edwards in the lighting section. He's asking if the subject is worth him doing a tutorial on. There's a poll if anyone's interested.

Thank you and potentially thank Garry too :) voted yes ( as I have a habit of doing :D ).

I use Lansky, and I know what you mean, but is this mainly psychological or a real risk? I'm thinking the former. I doubt if they'd still sell it in the litigious USA if there was a history of severed digits! :D

Possibly psychological yes but never the less there are 'cheaper' better systems out there using the same basic stone on a rod method.

Thank you and potentially thank Garry too :) voted yes ( as I have a habit of doing :D ).

Erm... I think that the question asked is "Is the subject too limited?" rather than "Would you like to see a tutorial?"! Might be worth checking and changing your vote if necessary!

Listen to Nod and get your vote changed cos it's a 50/50 job so far, Hugh!

Sorry, force of habit :D changed.

Italian made knife - "All in all, a very simple thingie: this has a hanger loop and just two blades that click - not lock - into place when folded. The knife part is rounded from the tip because even Italians know that you shouldn't give Italians sharp items. "

Back