Any knife/weapons collectors on here?

Very nice knife Hugh & the quality of the workmanship that went into the sheath, very nice :cool:

Can't claim credit for that, I bought it :)

Hope everyone hasn't forgotten about this thread yet
. But would any of you know wether Karambits are legal of illegal in the UK?
Depends upon the model and what you're doing with it (they do assisted opening (not legal), fixed blades, locks etc.).

Fixed blade, legal in the right circumstances the same way a 7" Bowie would be. It isn't an EDC option however.

And to clarify AO depending upon exact nature i believe.

One look at that knife & the police are just going to pull out the batons without asking any further questions :mad:

The fact it has a shoulder holster makes it questionable in my eyes.
How would you you be able to explain why you are carrying a knife like that?

Yes legal to own but as mentioned you would have to have one hell of a story for the old bill if they stopped you to warrant carrying that in public with good reason!

Agreed, can't see south wales police going with any excuse for that type on knife

The fact it has a shoulder holster makes it questionable in my eyes.
How would you you be able to explain why you are carrying a knife like that?
Yes legal to own but as mentioned you would have to have one hell of a story for the old bill if they stopped you to warrant carrying that in public with good reason!
Agreed, can't see south wales police going with any excuse for that type on knife
It would be pretty hard to explain why you have a blade like that in public

As we know this knife is legal but is it worth the hassle in having a knife like this.
However if it at home in a draw what's the problem.

As we know this knife is legal but is it worth the hassle in having a knife like this.
However if it at home in a draw what's the problem.
Well. If you have it at home and noone knows about it e.g the police. Noone knows its there. So I guess you won't really have a problem with it. Even if the police somehow find it. As long as its not for illegal use and part of a collection. As long as you can prove that. [Somehow] I guess there wouldn't be a problem?

I have three members of my family in the police (two Sargent's & one in plain cloths). If I had something like that all I would get is lectures 24/7

Well. If you have it at home and noone knows about it e.g the police. Noone knows its there. So I guess you won't really have a problem with it. Even if the police somehow find it. As long as its not for illegal use and part of a collection. As long as you can prove that. [Somehow] I guess there wouldn't be a problem?
If at it's at home* and not out in public you don't need justification for possessing it, it's a legal knife.

*obviously provided you aren't sticking it into someone etc.

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

some knives are illegal to own full stop. others are legal to carry. others legal to carry with good reason.
Some of those 'illegal' knives are legal though, the gov advice is purposely vague. For example flick knives are legal to own although not legal to buy or possess in public for any reason. So if you had one prior to the sales ban and don't take it out your front door it's a legal blade.

dont think its that vague. if its illegal to sell then surely its safe to say its also illegal to buy and therefore own.

e:

in fact one uk online knife seller goes as far to say

"Q: Is there any way at all I can legally acquire a flick knife?
A: No. They are completely illegal to buy, sell, make, construct, pawn, gift, auction, import or otherwise acquire in any way. They were first banned by the Restriction of Offensive Weapons Act 1959 and subsequent acts. With regard to automatic or "flick" knives, the 1959 act makes it illegal to "manufacture, sells or hires or offers for sale or hire, or exposes or has in his possession for the purpose of sale or hire, or lends or gives to any other person. In addition it also states that "The importation of any such knife as is described in the foregoing subsection is hereby prohibited"."

Last edited:
dont think its that vague. if its illegal to sell then surely its safe to say its also illegal to buy and therefore own.

e:

in fact one uk online knife seller goes as far to say

"Q: Is there any way at all I can legally acquire a flick knife?
A: No. They are completely illegal to buy, sell, make, construct, pawn, gift, auction, import or otherwise acquire in any way. They were first banned by the Restriction of Offensive Weapons Act 1959 and subsequent acts. With regard to automatic or "flick" knives, the 1959 act makes it illegal to "manufacture, sells or hires or offers for sale or hire, or exposes or has in his possession for the purpose of sale or hire, or lends or gives to any other person. In addition it also states that "The importation of any such knife as is described in the foregoing subsection is hereby prohibited"."
No it's vague in the sense of it gives you the impression they are illegal when they are not.

Your linked quote is also very clear, at no point does it say illegal to own. It's all about making, selling, importing etc. you can still own them.

Another example i have black / chrome 92F blank firer, perfectly legal to own for me as i've had it for years but no longer available to buy as it is unless you have an exemption under the VCRA e.g. film work, registered airsoft sites, theatre productions. The 92F's or any other blank firer available now are those that comply with the VCRA and have to be brightly coloured.

the quote says "They are completely illegal to buy, sell, make, construct, pawn, gift, auction, import or otherwise acquire in any way"

how can you own one without hitting one of those points?

the quote says "They are completely illegal to buy, sell, make, construct, pawn, gift, auction, import or otherwise acquire in any way"

how can you own one without hitting one of those points?
If you owned it prior to the 1959 act it's legal.

fair point. im not sure how you'd prove that in a court of law mind.
Aye, my non-legal mind looking at the act it would suggest you could of still acquired one after the act was in place. It would be the person selling / gifting that is guilty of the offence vs the person receiving the knife although that would probably be aiding the criminal act of selling / gifting. A quick google round most convictions relate to possession in a public place so not sure about any possible case law to test the point.

So you could say i'd been given the knife by my dear departed grand father 30 years ago and it's still in my possession today.

Last edited:
I'd been speaking to StuartH about dealing with HK company Gearbest, I bought a couple of knives and other bits last week (3rd) just to see how it worked out, they got around to posting the order today, no tracking but interestingly on my account page attached to the order is a photo of the package with label addressed to me. Delivery is meant to take 10-25 days so fingers crossed :)

I'd been speaking to StuartH about dealing with HK company Gearbest, I bought a couple of knives and other bits last week (3rd) just to see how it worked out, they got around to posting the order today, no tracking but interestingly on my account page attached to the order is a photo of the package with label addressed to me. Delivery is meant to take 10-25 days so fingers crossed :)
Fasttech;)

No no Stuart, Gearbest. I've got orders coming from both of them. Fasttech have an issue with their normal carrier Malaysia Post who will not carry knives any more which seems to be an increasing problem of security so they are using Swisspost tracked (until it left HK anyway). Gearbest have a wider range of stock and also deliver free but only non tracked, anything else costs extra. They took their time dispatching my order albeit over a weekend but it may well still arrive sooner than the Fasttech one.

My mistake sorry mate was chatting to someone else on here about fasttech as well as you.:)

Ganzo 720G from FastTech in 10 days.

ganzo720g.jpg

Very solid beefy knife but Ganzo quality control a bit lacking, one of the scale screws was floating about in the box when I opened it, I've discovered that it won't actually grip to stay in place.
This may not be a majpr issue since I'm going to change the scales anyway, I knew before I bought it that I didn't like the style of the factory fit ones.

Nice one mate still awaiting my 720 in orange although tracking says item has arrived in UK now..been over 3 weeks!I even asked if they could use swiss post and they said they were unable to? Was the blade dull?..have read several reviews saying that it comes shipped quite blunt.

Hah, I hadn't even tried it till I read your question. It cuts a4 paper cleanly, could possibly be sharper but I'm more interested in how sharp it stays. I'd say the build quality is pretty good, feels a little bit rough round the edges but for $23 it's amazing value. The scale screw issue is solved, I found that the loose screw (the one below the lanyard hole in the pic) was shorter than one I took out of the centre so I tried swapping them over and it worked, both screws holding well.

I'm not sure Paul, I have some thin hardwood that might look nice but the shape of the scales would mean some weak areas where the grain runs the wrong way. I might try making some micarta, which is not difficult to do but is darned expensive.

Back