Any knife/weapons collectors on here?

Well like Mike I collect them for more than just value..they arent investment pieces to me just ones I like and if I am lucky enough one month to spend £100-200 on a knife then great I will much to the disgust of my other half lol. I love all the different designs blade shapes,different steels and seeing how they compare. I have probably nearly 40 knives now and they range in value from £2 up to nearly £200. I really like rotating them and use one for a few weeks for every day tasks then switch to another.I also have a few that I dont really use but leave in the draw.I work in the building trade so having a decent sharp blade on me is very useful on a daily basis but I also wouldnt use a £100 enzo as an edc on site this is where the cheaper chinese knives have been a godsend for me.It doesnt matter if one gets lost or broken

Whilst entitled to your opinion, I think perhaps you are getting a wee bit confused with collections being the future value of the knives?

If I decide to collect say, rusty nails, they will become collectable to me but of no monetary value.

I doubt if most folk need more than one or two knives, so more becomes a collection and I become a collector.

For me it is really a question of starting small and perhaps building up to more expensive knives.

I find it hard to explain why I am buying knives, mostly I just like the different shapes, amazing quality and designs.

As for carrying a knife, I've had one in my pocket for many decades and very handy it has been too.

Not really confused. Just not sure that a selection of knives to use is a collection. I have a fair few myself - none particularly expensive and all bought to use, so a selection not a collection.

Yes Mike, the Enzo but the Scandi grind one, it will be my 3rd Enzo knife when I pick it up from the post office tomorrow :)
As for is it collectable? There are hunners o'thoosans of old cameras out there, all collectible and generally worthless, I have some myself.

I have plenty of old cameras myself, again, IMO a selection not a collection! The post I replied to specified the Chinese ones not the Enzo.

Like Chris on the last page, I far prefer using a locking blade - much safer than a non-locker, hence my purchase of the Wave when I already had the PST. Used to keep a tiny Swiss Army knife on my keyring until I forgot it and it was confiscated when I went through security at an airport with it (actually, I spotted it as I took the keys out of my pocket and gave it to the chap on the desk. Shame, it had a little red LED torch and scissors and I've not seen one like it to replace it!)

Who knows what will become collectible in years to come? many of the old box brownies were cheap and cheerful mass produced cameras, never meant to last.

Already the Chinese knives are getting harder to come by as 'security' concerns mean that postal services won't carry them. They are not the cheap knock off things that many Chinese products are, I've had my share of single use screwdrivers in the past I know.
Actually come to that one of my best buys on the screwdriver front came because of this thread as well. I spotted one https://www.fasttech.com/p/2884200 that looked good and bought it on a whim. The steel is proper hardened tool steel and as it turned out much longer than the one shown, a very useful long reach screwdriver that packs away quite short.

Back on track :D

PK70, smaller than I expected, very light, so well made it's sexy
pk70coins.jpg

And the Paul Chen MultiTasker which is bigger than I expected!
chen.jpg

Like your PK70, Hugh, especially that handle design.

Is that Scandi grind a different angle to normal and are there any advantages?

I just have a thing for Scandinavian style knives, the grind allows for easier sharpening, a stronger blade and a better (imo) working angle when carving as opposed to cutting.

You can see the difference between the blade types in the images
http://www.heinnie.com/enzo-pk70-carbon-fibre-flat-ground
http://www.heinnie.com/enzo-pk70-carbon-fibre-scandi-grind

Yes, I did see the differences on the website, just wondered if the angle was different from the usual 15 to 20 degrees?

Anything that allows easier sharpening is good for me:rolleyes:.

Just a little one today, Kershaw Half Ton and I've just realised the picture is crap. I'll redo it in a couple of days.

kht.jpg

Is the blade sharpened on both sides of the point?

No Mike, flat 90deg edge tapering to the point. The blade is about 7cm long.

Thanks for that, Hugh - ordered! Pretty much identical to my old one other than the handle colour.

Arrived yesterday morning, on keyring and been used twice. Missed that little thing!

Interesting new knife brand on Gearbest - Boda

No idea, but I've ordered a couple to find out :) They seem to be mostly back lock with wood scales apart from one cheaper slipjoint.

I'm looking around for a small carry around folding knife, but i honestly have no idea where to even begin. I've got some friends who are really into the whole EDC thing and they seem to reckon Spyderco is the way to go?
Anyone have any suggestions? Its something i always reach for before realising that i don't have a knife and end up cutting tape or a box with my keys....

I'm looking around for a small carry around folding knife, but i honestly have no idea where to even begin. I've got some friends who are really into the whole EDC thing and they seem to reckon Spyderco is the way to go?
Anyone have any suggestions? Its something i always reach for before realising that i don't have a knife and end up cutting tape or a box with my keys....

There's a fair amount of choice. Just about any folding knife with a blade up to 3 inches long is legal for EDC, providing it doesn't lock open. Do you want a knife with 'tools' like a Swiss Army Knife (handy, but adds weight and bulk) or something with just one or two blades (flat, light) that pretty much defines the old 'penknife' generations of men carried?

Just a single blade job is what i'm after.

Price not too bothered, just need it to work and last :)

What do people use for sharpening. Do you use any of the guided rod sharpeners like wicked edge?

No idea, but I've ordered a couple to find out :) They seem to be mostly back lock with wood scales apart from one cheaper slipjoint.

Will be interesting to hear about the quality.

What do people use for sharpening. Do you use any of the guided rod sharpeners like wicked edge?

Oil stone at the moment but Santa is on his way with Lansky rod sharpener (and a couple of Damascus knives that will give it a good workout).

I've got a Lansky 'De Luxe' sharpening system and while the choice of stones etc is good the system itself is bloody dangerous and bad at the job it was intended for.

Dangerous because of the size of the stone handles and the way you're meant to use them i.e. pushing towards the sharp edge with sometimes millimetres between it and your fingers.
Bad because the system doesn't allow you to get an angle on a smaller knife blade, fine for chopping type kitchen knives but the blade holder/clamp blocks access to narrower ones.

A semi decent double sided sharpening stone should last for years but if you haven't got that then wet'n'dry lying on a flat surface will give you a wicked edge (pun intended).

I use lansky crox sticks under £20 and do a great job. Mm also don't go looking at knives after too much wine lol ordered a Swiss army cyberlite knife on offer on Amazon late last night

A little Enlan M027 came today :) pretty near the same size as the Kershaw Half Ton but a bit beefier and needs cleaning up and sharpening.

enlan1.jpg enlan2.jpg enlankershaw.jpg

I was just looking at that very knife last night, Hugh, but decided to wait until the Gearbest folk deliver the correct knife, apparently posted now.

What do you reckon, quality-wise?

I was just looking at that very knife last night, Hugh, but decided to wait until the Gearbest folk deliver the correct knife, apparently posted now.

What do you reckon, quality-wise?

They haven't paid as much attention to the final finish as Sanrenmu would, it arrived a bit dirty and not too sharp but solidly made for all that. Feels very nice in the hand and I'll find out tonight if it takes an edge well.

Well my victorinox should be here tomorrow thanks to amazon prime and it has a corkscrew so could open another couple of bottles of red with it and go shopping on HH site lol:beer::D

Just a single blade job is what i'm after.

Price not too bothered, just need it to work and last :)

Spyderco or if you really want nice Enzo pk70.
Just got my one off Lee Bennett Titus folder rwl34 steel today, real shame he is stopping making :(

The PK70 is lovely but way to good to end up a box opener (though that's pretty much what mine does just now). A Victorinox Excelsior for £14 would do the trick nicely as box opener if that's all you need, that or a Spyderco Bug for the same money.

Back