Any 'Nest' users? (or Hive)

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all.

Seriously tempted to get one of these as the reviews seem universally excellent. Anyone have one and can voucher for their energy (hence money) saving properties?

I've already a wireless thermostat so imagine it would be fairly simple to wire to the boiler replacing the wireless receiver already there. Anyone any experience of this?

In about to get one....(Nest).

The reviews are really very good, the main reason for me is to be able to control the heating whilst away from home etc.

Plus it's handy to stick all the apps on a single tablet and be able to control the heating, lights and stream music etc all from 1 controller.

Agree. I planned to just swap it over myself. Assume there is a wireless controller and a wired receiver to go to the boiler.

unless you really have an urge to control your heating from outside your home i fail to see the point if youve already got a wireless thermostat

unless you really have an urge to control your heating from outside your home i fail to see the point if youve already got a wireless thermostat

Hive can control more than your heating.
Lights, for example.
An excellent little security feature, to be able to remotely turn on a house light or two, at random times, whilst you're away. :)

Hive can control more than your heating.
Lights, for example.
An excellent little security feature, to be able to remotely turn on a house light or two, at random times, whilst you're away. :)
Cool, I didn't know that they've branched out into more than just heating. Could make it a little bit more interesting.

I have installed dozens of them (Hive) , the only real complaint I have had is that the hub need to be hard wired to your router and needs a 240v supply (they come with everything as you would expect) . If you already have a wirless stat it is a very easy install too. The receiver needs N, L and you would use terminals 1 & 3 for the common and switch, which will most likely be the wiring in your existing receiver anyway. The ability to turn your heating on when you are not at home is a fantastic idea for no end of reasons. Buy one with confidence.

I have installed dozens of them (Hive) , the only real complaint I have had is that the hub need to be hard wired to your router and needs a 240v supply (they come with everything as you would expect) . If you already have a wirless stat it is a very easy install too. The receiver needs N, L and you would use terminals 1 & 3 for the common and switch, which will most likely be the wiring in your existing receiver anyway. The ability to turn your heating on when you are not at home is a fantastic idea for no end of reasons. Buy one with confidence.
For what reasons? I've never in my live thought I would want to switch the heating on when I'm not at home. Our standard Honeywell thermostat provides frost protection. It only takes ten minutes or so to warm up the house even following two weeks "off" in the winter.

Don't get me wrong, I love a gadget just don't get what problem this solves.

We have had "Hive" for about 3 years and it is brilliant:

We can control the Hot Water and Heating from anywhere in the world via any Smart Device.

We have just been in Scotland for three weeks and decided to "Overnight" in Preston on our return to Kent and the morning we left Preston I turned on the Hot Water and checked to see if the Heating need to be turned on.

Arrived home to a warm house and plenty of Hot Water.

If you go away and the wife forgets to turn the Hot Water and Heating off you can do so from anywhere.

Brilliant.

Tado is also worth looking at. It uses intelligent methods to heat so you use the least amount possible. It's not just a straight dumb thermostat. The Away/Home feature is also very good so if you have a random lifestyle you can just go in and out of the house and know it's not heating it much while you're out but it will be warm for when you get back. If you have a larger older house that takes a while to warm up then it's very good. The modern ones that heat quickly don't really need it.

I realise it all depends where you are coming from. If you already have a modern electronic ignited controversy combi boiler with hot water always available on demand and a decent wireless room thermostat then it's probably not so noticeable. My thermostat from Honeywell is like 16 years old and already had smart features such as to measure how long it would take to heat up the house so you can programme the temperature ready for the actual time you want it.

For what reasons? I've never in my live thought I would want to switch the heating on when I'm not at home. Our standard Honeywell thermostat provides frost protection. It only takes ten minutes or so to warm up the house even following two weeks "off" in the winter.

Don't get me wrong, I love a gadget just don't get what problem this solves.

Its more about not heating an empty house. Your stat has frost protection, but your timer will have set on/ off times that you've programmed. Unless you leave the house and get back at exactly the same time every day, are never late, and don't go out once the heating is on, then hive could save you money.
Plus, you can control lights etc as well

Last edited:
Its more about not heating an empty house. Your stat has frost protection, but your timer will have set on/ off times that you've programmed. Unless you leave the house and get back at exactly the same time every day, are never late, and don't go out once the heating is on, then hive could save you money.
Plus, you can control lights etc as well
I see. I just press the button on my wireless thermostat to switch it off. And when I'm back to switch it back on. Once it breaks down I guess I'll replace it but I doubt it will bring return on investment replacing an existing working system.

Hive is evolving

In addition to the Smart heating control, security system, smart plug sockets, smart LED bulbs there are also new even smarter light bulbs

1. A colour changing bulb

2. A bulb tbat can be changed at will from cool white to warm whitle and, if I remember the email... dimming too

Finally Hive can also be cotrolled by voice... using some new Amazon voice/sound kit

Murder by Hive? Mother in Law on top lannding about to walk down stairs "Hive turn off the hall lights..."

Yes , my house has Hive..... The link to the router for the maim controller is Cat 5e but works fine on powerline.

I can log in on mobile broadband from here in Ireland to my house in Somerset to turn off the heating my son (currently staying there), leaves the bloody heating on....... when I know he is at work or at his own house.

Not a perfect system but imteresting.

Addendum

The Hive system can be linked to the Amazon Echo unit to enable voice control.

Last edited:
Do the hive lights actually work properly? I've been using a lifx one and it's rubbish.

Do the hive lights actually work properly? I've been using a lifx one and it's rubbish.
Simple yes but you can use the Hive smart plug axapters with other equipment, table lamps, radios etc.

I think I'm definitely getting one. Having a electrician I've used before give me a quote to install as I thought if he's not too expensive may as well. Amazon Echo uses Hive too, and since I've Prime I might look into that. If Echo streamed Apple Music too it would be a no brainer. But until then I'll probably keep my Sonos for that.

I think I'm definitely getting one. Having a electrician I've used before give me a quote to install as I thought if he's not too expensive may as well. Amazon Echo uses Hive too, and since I've Prime I might look into that. If Echo streamed Apple Music too it would be a no brainer. But until then I'll probably keep my Sonos for that.
When you buy it, it includes installation by British Gas. Unless you specifically buy the no installation one.

A colleague has it and drives his wife mad when he's at work and she's at home. We get constant angry phone calls telling us to tell him to stop ****ing about with the heating and the lights :)

A colleague has it and drives his wife mad when he's at work and she's at home. We get constant angry phone calls telling us to tell him to stop ****ing about with the heating and the lights :)
She just needs to disconnect the cable to the router :D

She just needs to disconnect the cable to the router :D

She's not really a techie sort of person but if he carries on I think parts of him will be disconnected :)

Does the sonos stream straight off iTunes Match? Looking at possibly replacing Apple TV with one as new version doesn't have a proper audio out.

I've got a Netatmo system, only had it for 11 months so not had a real chance to see how much it's saved :)

It's an "intelligent" system, for the first two weeks it measures how long the house takes to heat up / cool down & from then on adapts the on/off times depending on internal /external temps.

The house is always warm but only when it's meant to be :)

Now here is the ultimate use case :)

I wonder whether it integrates with apple home kit.

Sonos and echo will be integrated early 2017. I have a house full of sonos. So only getting the echo dot to allow the voice control element. Quick workaround putting a BT receiver into the line in on the play 5 I can then control amazon music and Spotify until the full integration. Then I don't need the big echo speaker. Just the dot 50 quid.

Sonos and echo will be integrated early 2017. I have a house full of sonos. So only getting the echo dot to allow the voice control element. Quick workaround putting a BT receiver into the line in on the play 5 I can then control amazon music and Spotify until the full integration. Then I don't need the big echo speaker. Just the dot 50 quid.
My current habitat is self contained (Motorhome) so the Smart concept is either already in place or not neededd.

When I get back to my house I may have to review my 2014 wifi/connected house.

My eldest son has Ford Kuga that if he waggles his foot under the rear number plate - the rear door opens itself.... [emoji51]

Taking the connected bit that bit further, Samsung have created a keyless smart door lock system for the house which now had facial recognition...

Hive has already undergone a thermostat controller change/upgrade - the next iteration? Door lock and facial recognition? Smart tag receptionn? Temporal unlocking solutions for care workers, inside room locking to allow free route areas to trades people, posties ?

All of these elements are available now but am I correct in thinking Hive is possibly the only UK wider offering system?

The link with Echo may prove valuable to Britisb Gas.

Being the suspicious type, are there any possible security issues with these type of internet connected devices?
Yes but strong passwords will help. A potential data security issue was discovered early on and it was dealt with by the British Gas Hive team quickly. Nothing since.

The system is connected to your router by ethernet cable. The system is connected to Hive Central which manages firmware issues and collects datasets such as internal temperatures from the subscriber's sytem. This is then fed back to subscriber with a general comparison with other hive subscribers in the area. Mine is very much lower than the general herd... might be that I have not been there much for months and my youngest son only stays when he is working very early or late shifts.

The system stays on with frost control and radom lights cycling on and off.

It would be useful for a fridge/freezer volt monitor facility but for most users they will not have a UPS. My router and nerwork switches power supply has a 200W UPS and the control unit has a small 100W brick UPS. Tested it and it works.

AFAIK my Hive system has not had any attacks and my IS has not reported intrusions.

Being able to check things remotely incl external IP cameras, is a further element of the 'connected security' wrap. Stay suspicious, I do. So far so good.

I think I looked into the likes of Hive and Nest a while back. At the time, I wasn't too impressed.

My own thermostat will do 7-day programming and we all get up and around the same time of day each day. The only thing it doesn't do which our old thermostat in the old house did was to have a button which caused the heating to turn on for 1 hour. A bit useful if it's starting to get nippy in the evening and the heating hasn't needed to be on during the day.

I am, however, considering wifi enabled light bulbs. Looks like I should take another look at things.

I got my Nest installed free when I signed up with NPower, not sure if they still have a deal on or not though.

We didn't have any thermostat installed when we moved into the house, so was the most cost effective way of doing it at the time.

Seriously tempted to get one of these as the reviews seem universally excellent.
Whether or not they are "excellent" may depend on what you're trying to achieve. Yes, devices such as Hive and Nest might do what they do very well, but I can't help thinking that reviewers may be judging them on that, rather than on what users actually want them to do.

We had our house substantially rebuilt this year (extended, re-wired, re-plumbed, etc) and I wanted a smart controller for the heating system. I really did. I spent a lot of time looking at the various options on the market but in the end I decided not to bother. They all seemed to have too many drawbacks for my expected real-world use.

For example some devices such as Hive use geolocation so that they can detect when you're away from home. But if your mobile phone signal is a bit flaky where you live, the system might decide that you're out when actually you're in. If there is more than one person in the house, you need to make sure the geolocation can be set up on everybody's phones and that you can do that without having to share accounts and passwords. And if the nature of your employment means that you travel around and sometimes pass close to your home, then the system might think you're coming home and switch itself on when in fact you're just travelling from A to B not home.

By contrast Nest doesn't do geolocation but has a sensor to detect when the house is occupied. But that has its own problems. The best site for the thing to detect your presence may not be the best site for it to manage the temperature of the house as whole. Then you have the whole issue of multi-zone controllers and how they relate to one another. And then you have the conflict between the system learning how long it takes to warm up the house so that it's warm when you get in, versus the system detecting when you're in and out and not switching on until you're in.

My conclusion was that these things works best for small single-person households, but don't necessarily work so well for family homes.

I think what I'm saying is that you should think through what you actually want to achieve by way of controlling your system, then check your list against the functionality of the different devices on the market, and only then ask for opinions as to how good they are at delivering the functionality you want. The advertising (eg "control your home from your phone") may be seductive, but it might not be what you want/need.

Tado uses your home wifi to decide whether you are home or not in the main. Far better than relying on GPS. I'd think most of the others would do it that way so mobile coverage that's poor at home won't be a problem.

It's why I went with Tado. It links in with ifttt as well. It seems to be the one that did everything ie smart heating methods, scheduling and automatic home/away system. I didn't want one that told me when I'd gone out and left the heating on. I wanted one that turned it down automatically but made sure it was warm when I got in.

The tado is supposed to switch on when you start returning home. It seems to be set to a very low average return speed so it was a bit iffy for me. It assumes city dwelling where you'd be lucky to do more than 10mph avearge. I'm generally more like a 40mph average.

I haven't tried it with multiple people but it is supposed to work so that the last one out triggers the heating to go off and the first one returning would start it back up. There are different settings for comfort or economy. The economy does only turn the heating on when you're walking through the door. The comfort, which I use, is supposed to use voodoo to tell when you get back and have the house close to being warm. The tado also has an override so that if someone at home doesn't have the app they can still turn the heating on from the wall thingy.

You can also set the app on the phone to either do the presence detection or not. Or block out times of day when it's inoperative. It's very flexible now. I'd think the Tado would certainly work in a large multi person household.

They also do smart radiator thermostats now so that adds a multi room dimension to it as well.

Whether or not they are "excellent" may depend on what you're trying to achieve. Yes, devices such as Hive and Nest might do what they do very well, but I can't help thinking that reviewers may be judging them on that, rather than on what users actually want them to do.

We had our house substantially rebuilt this year (extended, re-wired, re-plumbed, etc) and I wanted a smart controller for the heating system. I really did. I spent a lot of time looking at the various options on the market but in the end I decided not to bother. They all seemed to have too many drawbacks for my expected real-world use.

For example some devices such as Hive use geolocation so that they can detect when you're away from home. But if your mobile phone signal is a bit flaky where you live, the system might decide that you're out when actually you're in. If there is more than one person in the house, you need to make sure the geolocation can be set up on everybody's phones and that you can do that without having to share accounts and passwords. And if the nature of your employment means that you travel around and sometimes pass close to your home, then the system might think you're coming home and switch itself on when in fact you're just travelling from A to B not home.

By contrast Nest doesn't do geolocation but has a sensor to detect when the house is occupied. But that has its own problems. The best site for the thing to detect your presence may not be the best site for it to manage the temperature of the house as whole. Then you have the whole issue of multi-zone controllers and how they relate to one another. And then you have the conflict between the system learning how long it takes to warm up the house so that it's warm when you get in, versus the system detecting when you're in and out and not switching on until you're in.

My conclusion was that these things works best for small single-person households, but don't necessarily work so well for family homes.

I think what I'm saying is that you should think through what you actually want to achieve by way of controlling your system, then check your list against the functionality of the different devices on the market, and only then ask for opinions as to how good they are at delivering the functionality you want. The advertising (eg "control your home from your phone") may be seductive, but it might not be what you want/need.
Geolocation can be turned off, and it doesn't turn the heating on or off automatically. It uses wifi rather than mobile signal. It can be set up with several mobiles as well.
It's not for everyone, but can work well for many people.

Nest can use your wifi as well, you just install the @Home app

My point entirely.

There you go - succinct. Whatever works for you.

Any system is either right for your needs ot it's not.

My use of any new or evolving technology is subject to a simple Cost Benefit Analysis.

My reckoning is

1.Original cost of system fitted and commissioned £125 (special offer for BG gas and maintenance offer)

2. Pair of Powerline units - £16

3. IPhone app £0

Total: £141

Year 1 saving £103 (adjusted and normalised for price changes and reduction in energy use) against previous year annual cost.

Year 2 saving £122 (as above year 1 conditions.

Year 3 saving - Not yet known but house has spent nearrly 4 months in 'stasis' but heat/hw system is on 7C frost protection and annual service with c21 days occupation by youngest son.

Benefits

1. -£100 energy cost
2. Additions offer extra security
3. Control of system if son leaves system running (3 occassions - sorted from West Coast of Ireland)

Unkowns

1. Effect on House Value +/- ?
2. Whole Life Cycle Costs (replacement/repair costs of failed components.
3. Decommission and return to non-smart system - unlikely but individual SMART Radiator Valves are being used in other systems - Hive would need redesign and older single non by-pass pipework would not be suitable.

A 'quick and dirty' look via CoBA. This Tech has outlasted friends' must have laptops.

Sorry, Steve but this typo tickled me!
Ouch.....

It's the big fingers little instrument dichotomy.....

Last edited:
Back