Any New York experts?

Name
jason
Edit My Images
Yes
I went a few years ago and got some great shots. I’m going again next week and hoping to get Brooklyn bridge at sunrise.
Im not sure about the logistics of getting to the Bridge for sunrise, from Times Square.
I reckon it’s a 6:00am sunrise and would want to go on the subway. But not sure how safe this is? I have a small travel camera so not carrying obvious camera bags.
Thanks
Any other photography must haves?

Yeah I’ve got a Panasonic LX100 and a small pocket tripod. Everything is done from floor level or handheld.
Thanks for the good advice

I'm no expert and I haven't got up that early, but I've never felt unsafe on the subway, on the bridge, or at either end of the bridge. The area near the Brooklyn end is pretty trendy. Take the usual precautions that you'd take in any big city or metro system.

Last edited:
I have only visited NY for one weekend in the 1990's. I was with 3 others guys and two of them knew NY from several previous visits. In order to get around we bought tickets for the Tour Bus and one of the guys decided that we should get off in China Town. The conductor strongly advised us not to get off at that stop for our own security but we did. After wandering round the area and an adjacent area, it looked like a poor 3rd world country and was quite shocking that such poverty was so close to such wealth. By this time we were so far from the tour bus route that we took the metro north to Central Park. the ticket booth was upstairs and we bought tickets but noticed the other passenger stayed at the top; there were some dodgy looking guys roaming the platform. As the train came in everyone rushed down the stairs to get straight on. During the train ride a guy was going round the passengers demanding money claiming that he was a Vietnam war veteran. He mainly focussed in women travelling alone but took one look as four of us together and did not even ask us. The Brooklyn Bridge was interesting and the Manhattan end had a few interesting restaurants one of which we used. The more well known areas such as Time Square, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Empire State building were no problem. I was the only one of the three taking photos using a DSLR. I think you just need to be careful in any large city.

Dave

One of my favorite places - love the place. One of the safest a places I’d say - wouldn’t worry about your gear. At the time I went, I had a full on kit, and loved every second. Can’t wait to go this year as soon as possible, but first stop is Florida next month. Enjoy!!

I've been once, in the winter just before the first lockdowns... total waste of time for me. I went on my own for a few days just for photography..partially the city overwhelmed me and I had no real intent with what I wanted to photograph... I'd love to visit again.. maybe this autumn to put that right.

Been twice and only time it got a bit iffy was some nutter on the train (prob on drugs) but other than that it felt very safe. We walked through most areas including Harlem and it was fine. Having said that we were looking to go back but they have been having a few issues lately.

Check out the East River ferry service. You can take a ferry from Wall Street to Ferry Point Park in the Bronx. Travel up the East River under its many bridges and through Hell's Gate. A very scenic ride for $2.75 for each direction. About 45 to 50 min each way.

Been three times, just be alert as you probably were before and you'll be fine. Never had any hassle. I imagine at 6am you'll be less likely to get in any bother. Enjoy!!!

Last edited:
Been to NYC many times, just don’t flash anything valuable and ignore the beggars etc and they will ignore you eventually. 6am is fine on the subway and the Brooklyn end of the bridge is very trendy now. Don’t forget a walk through Williamsburg for some great street shots and go to to B&H Photo for a look at some new toys.

I'm a stupidly early riser and was roaming Manhattan at 5am. Didn't feel unsafe at all, it was really interesting to see the City waking up and its residents going about their day to day business.

Rode the subway super early and it was pretty sparsely populated. Same as any big city, be alert and don't flash expensive items.

Back