Any news on the release of the Sigma 85 f1.4 art?

Name
Shaheed
Edit My Images
No
As per title!

Missing an 85 from my lineup

Keep wavering over the f1.8g nikkor but really want the Art!

As per title!

Missing an 85 from my lineup

Keep wavering over the f1.8g nikkor but really want the Art!

the normal Siggy 85 isn't that old would be surprised if they bring out an art version any time soon. They will change the rest of there old lines first I would have thought as many regard there current 85mm as an art lens without the badge.

Has been on the way according to 'sources' ever since the first Art lens!

I suppose one will be along at some point but I've no idea when.

I used to have a Sigma 85mm f1.4 when I had Canon DSLR's and until I switched to Sony I thought that lens was the best AF lens I'd ever used. An Art version would probably be better built and optically better too but it will also no doubt be bigger, heavier and more expensive and the original is so good that I do wonder if I'd ever appreciate the extra an Art version would bring.

Hopefully they do a 135/2 in the art range.

Liking that idea! Loved the Canon, but just didn't use it enough to justify owning it.

Would do my best to justify it if this came out though [emoji41]

Liking that idea! Loved the Canon, but just didn't use it enough to justify owning it.

Would do my best to justify it if this came out though [emoji41]
I'm not sure a Sigma art version would help anything, the Canon is optically excellent as well as not that expensive. Although there's a gap up to the Nikon equivalent.

The twitter page seems to be updating regularly with news from the show https://BANNED/search?q=photokina&ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^search

Just exchange the dollar sign for the pound sign and you'll be pretty close i would have thought.

The 1.4G Nikkor is £1,289. The Sigma is going to have to be something very special to compete head to head on price.

Aren't US prices usually heavily discounted?

The 1.4G Nikkor is £1,289. The Sigma is going to have to be something very special to compete head to head on price.

Aren't US prices usually heavily discounted?

Shouldn't be too difficult, all the other ART lenses have been better than their Nikon counterparts and usually at half the price. (except the 50 but then perhaps it's competing with the 58)

The original Sigma 85mm was the best AF lens I'd ever used before I switched to Sony, so good that I couldn't imagine wanting a better 85mm and if I still had a DSLR I think I'd be more than happy with the old non Art lens :D Actually I also had a Sigma 12-24mm and it too was an exceptional lens.

I know we all like new toys but I do wonder how many people really need lenses better than the original Sigma lenses.

The original Sigma 85mm was the best AF lens I'd ever used before I switched to Sony, so good that I couldn't imagine wanting a better 85mm and if I still had a DSLR I think I'd be more than happy with the old non Art lens :D Actually I also had a Sigma 12-24mm and it too was an exceptional lens.

I know we all like new toys but I do wonder how many people really need lenses better than the original Sigma lenses.

Having owned both Sigma 50mm lenses, I can state that the ART line is in a completely different league Alan. Unless you have tried the new ones it's hard to understand. The 85 is gonna be a VERY popular lens, even more so once the grey retailers get them in and the price comes down a bit.

Shouldn't be too difficult, all the other ART lenses have been better than their Nikon counterparts and usually at half the price. (except the 50 but then perhaps it's competing with the 58)

I wouldn't agree they're outright better. Sharper maybe, especially the 50mm, but there's something about the Sigmas that just doesn't sit right with me when I'm editing RAW files. It could be just bad copies but I've always found the Nikon 1.4's to have better contrast and nicer looking bokeh. Maybe I've just had a couple of duff lenses.

Interesting stuff the 12-24 could be a real gem. I'm still amazed they haven't made a 24-70mm OS ART lens the existing sigma 24-70 is terrible and it would surely be a great seller.

Interesting stuff the 12-24 could be a real gem. I'm still amazed they haven't made a 24-70mm OS ART lens the existing sigma 24-70 is terrible and it would surely be a great seller.

It's probably a deliberate move on their part. In the mean time selling lots of prime lenses, 20 24 35 and 50, then release the 85 and plenty of people will buy at least a couple of these. Then release the zoom for the people who must have one. If it was the other way round maybe the zoom would have restricted sales of multiple primes for some users?

I have the 20 and the 35 and they are simply outstanding lenses. I used to be a massive canon fanboy, but then I looked at the clothes I wear and thought these aren't exactly style over substance so why do I need a red ring in my lenses? Changed to these art lenses and saved myself a lot of money, and they are better.

I've never had to exchange lenses as much as I did with the 35 + 50 art lenses. Great lenses but probably the absolute worst AF reliability out of any lenses I've ever used

Probably had no less than 15 versions of it (35mm) over the years between canon and nikon

Could be good. And if the performance is up to Sigma's recent standards, the price isn't too bad either. More reasonable than the almost four grand for Canon's 11-24.

The 11-24 is less than £2000 now, it did go down to £1750 before Brexit on a certain website

Back