Any news on the release of the Sigma 85 f1.4 art?

I wouldn't agree they're outright better. Sharper maybe, especially the 50mm, but there's something about the Sigmas that just doesn't sit right with me when I'm editing RAW files. It could be just bad copies but I've always found the Nikon 1.4's to have better contrast and nicer looking bokeh. Maybe I've just had a couple of duff lenses.

Sounds like you're the duffer... :D

Yep, sorry, I'm speaking in dollars. (As I'm in Australia, and I was quoting David's post of $1,599 for the Sigma, which I don't think has UK pricing yet does it?).

Not that I've seen but most equipment in the UK these days just trades the $ sign for a £ sign. :eek:

I wouldn't agree they're outright better. Sharper maybe, especially the 50mm, but there's something about the Sigmas that just doesn't sit right with me when I'm editing RAW files. It could be just bad copies but I've always found the Nikon 1.4's to have better contrast and nicer looking bokeh. Maybe I've just had a couple of duff lenses.

Sharpness is certainly over rated at the minute but I do think the sigma lenses have more than just sharpness going for them the 35mm certainly produces some stunning images just wish they weren't so blooming big would love to see sigma release a set of slightly slower compact primes a contemporary line to run alongside the arts!

I have given it a bit of thought and decided to give this one a miss.

I love my Siggy 35 it's a lens I use a lot but have had loads of focus issues with pretty much every other Sigma lens I have used especially the 50mm art which was a real heart breaker.

Gonna stick with my Nikon 85mm f/1.4G its a wonderful lens, a.f is perfect, beautiful bokeh and is properly weather sealed. If I was just shooting for fun I would probably buy the Siggy even knowing the issues as I love the way the art series render but not willing to chance one for work and I couldn't justify having both.

Having owned both Sigma 50mm lenses, I can state that the ART line is in a completely different league Alan. Unless you have tried the new ones it's hard to understand. The 85 is gonna be a VERY popular lens, even more so once the grey retailers get them in and the price comes down a bit.

oh I believe you :D I've no doubt that the Art lenses are better than the older non Art lenses and possibly offer the best AF quality you can mount on a DSLR but I'm not sure I care :D

When I had the Sigma 50 and 85mm f1.4's I thought they were both very good with the 85 being better than the 50 and those lenses were my benchmark until I got the Sony 55mm f1.8 and actually the Voitllander 25mm f0.95 I had for MFT was very good too and those lenses are now my benchmark but for what I do and what I expect being honest even the old no Art Sigma lenses are overkill. Actually a film era Minolta Rokkor 50mm f1.4 is good enough for me.

Just musing. As I get older my gas seems to be dissipating rapidly but I do know these lenses will be very popular.

Last edited:
In fairness, had they not have announced it at photokina I'd have got another Samyang or nikkor 1.8.

The sigma 35 is a wonderful lens. The previous 85 f1.4 I just didn't trust despite some lovely shots with it. The thing that reassures me most is the availability of the dock coupled with the quality of previous art lenses!

In fairness, had they not have announced it at photokina I'd have got another Samyang or nikkor 1.8.

The sigma 35 is a wonderful lens. The previous 85 f1.4 I just didn't trust despite some lovely shots with it. The thing that reassures me most is the availability of the dock coupled with the quality of previous art lenses!

The dock didn't help me with the many 50mm art's and 24-35mm's arts I tried :D

No matter what way they where adjusted they all suffered from iffy a.f especially at longer distances.

The 35mm is the only one I have never had any bother with and quite a lot of people seem to have the same issues with it as I had with the other one's.

My 50 is a beaut now i have the dock. It was miles off from new. As was the 24 which i also have.

The gods of a.f must have been looking down on you. :D The dock couldn't fix the 5 x 50mm's I tried :( broke my heart that lens.

5! Did you contact sigma customer service direct?

Yep even sent one our camera bodies and the 50mm too Sigma they sent it back supposedly tuned to the body but it was still way way out. Wasn't just a problem on one body either was the same on all 5 bodies we had at the time.

Yep even sent one our camera bodies and the 50mm too Sigma they sent it back supposedly tuned to the body but it was still way way out. Wasn't just a problem on one body either was the same on all 5 bodies we had at the time.

Shocking stuff! There quality control is supposed to be way better than that these days!

Never had a problem with all the sigma art lenses I've had, ill be getting the 12-24 for sure.

Tommy I agree, I had the very same problems with the 50 art

The 35mm, only for being a bargain at the price I wouldn't have went through so many to find a good one

Wex changed the last one 4 times for me haha

Last edited by a moderator:
I also know a dude that has had f*** know how many of the 24mm art lenses

Tbh the af on them seems the worst of any lenses I've owned

Lol maybe it's your camera body or your technique that is the problem
Well unless a 5D mk3 / D800 x 2 / D700 / D3 and D3s were all faulty then I'd say it was the lens

Also testing them on a tripod with focus charts and trying to calibrate them to zero success sort of ruled out the technique

Most of the crap copies I got you could tell within 5-10 minutes if it was off by much

I'm not alone as I know many other local photographers in NI that experienced the same thing

Well unless a 5D mk3 / D800 x 2 / D700 / D3 and D3s were all faulty then I'd say it was the lens

Also testing them on a tripod with focus charts and trying to calibrate them to zero success sort of ruled out the technique

Most of the crap copies I got you could tell within 5-10 minutes if it was off by much

I'm not alone as I know many other local photographers in NI that experienced the same thing
Odds are u are the first to hear of bad copies on the art lenses. They are known to have goood qc and build quality. Dunno what happened dude

The dock didn't help me with the many 50mm art's and 24-35mm's arts I tried :D

No matter what way they where adjusted they all suffered from iffy a.f especially at longer distances.

The 35mm is the only one I have never had any bother with and quite a lot of people seem to have the same issues with it as I had with the other one's.
Was this on Nikon? My Nikon doesn't like Sigmas (2x 70-200mm f2.8, and 4x 85mm f1.4)

Tommy I agree, I had the very same problems with the 50 art

The 35mm, only for being a bargain at the price I wouldn't have went through so many to find a good one

Wex changed the last one 4 times for me haha

Yeah it's a pity they are so unreliable I had the guy in Calumet tortured lol to be fair they had no problem swapping them out loads of people had the same problems.

I know looks mean nothing to how a lens performs, but...that is one fugly lens!!!!:wideyed:
Any pics of the hood yet?

Must admit, this was my first thought.

You pay your money and take your chances with siggy IMO, each to their own :coat:

Last edited:
12 is wiiiiiiiide

I had the original and used it on my 20D and 5D and that old lens was outstanding so this new Art will probably be super outstanding :D

I had Sigma lenses and not a single problem but those pesky camera manufacturers will go making changes to what the electrons have to do and keeping them secret so that the third party boys have problems so it's sad to see Siggy taking all of the abuse, hurl some at the camera body makers guys! :D

Last edited:
I had the original and used it on my 20D and 5D and that old lens was outstanding so this new Art will probably be super outstanding :D

I had Sigma lenses and not a single problem but those pesky camera manufacturers will go making changes to what the electrons have to do and keeping them secret so that the third party boys have problems so it's sad to see Siggy taking all of the abuse, hurl some at the camera body makers guys! :D

Sigma could pay the camera companies a license fee rather than reverse engineering the electronics!

Sigma could pay the camera companies a license fee rather than reverse engineering the electronics!

That assumes they'd let Sigma buy the info. and at a realistic price. Do you think they will?

Back