Any news on the release of the Sigma 85 f1.4 art?

It is big but not unmanageable, but then I shoot a lot wth a 645 so I'm used to larger than usual gear. I'll take a snap later alongside the old 85.
Any chance of a pic with it mounted on the D750 please so I can get a better idea of size?

Any chance of a pic with it mounted on the D750 please so I can get a better idea of size?

Sure, with and without hood, alongside old Sigma 85. It does balance well on the D750, diameter of the barrel makes in quite comfy to support too.

i-5ZSXR4w-L.jpg

i-4TzpKkN-L.jpg

i-WvNmFTj-L.jpg

i-HkL7RzK-L.jpg

i-pGNGkcd-L.jpg

Last edited:
Until I left Canon and went to Sony I thought that the old 85mm was the best lens I'd used. If this new one is better it must be a very very good lens.

Until I left Canon and went to Sony I thought that the old 85mm was the best lens I'd used. If this new one is better it must be a very very good lens.

I do Iove the old 85 and its one of the few lenses I'd never sell, the colours are beautiful but when working and could really have done with the extra stop of 1.4 the AF in my copy just cant be relied upon in anything other than really good light.

Last edited:
Sure, with and without hood, alongside old Sigma 85. It does balance well on the D750, diameter of the barrel makes in quite comfy to support too.

i-5ZSXR4w-L.jpg

i-4TzpKkN-L.jpg

i-WvNmFTj-L.jpg

i-HkL7RzK-L.jpg

i-pGNGkcd-L.jpg
Thanks for this (y) It's a beast isn't it.

Am I the only one to think it looks a bit...fugly?

But it's not what it looks like, its the end result I guess. Those test shots look good enough.

Am I the only one to think it looks a bit...fugly?

But it's not what it looks like, its the end result I guess. Those test shots look good enough.

Eye of the beholder and all that, I love the look of the Art series and the 85 looks the same as the others. Been playing with AF using the dock today, I'm blown away with the lens AF in dark conditions wide open, cant wait to use it at a wedding.

I bought this after thinking it was a rip off. How wrong was I, the quality wide open is actually even better than the Sigma 35.

Only downside is the size and weight, it is absolutely HUGE

Psenior1 what is that viewfinder eyepiece you have on the D750

I bought this after thinking it was a rip off. How wrong was I, the quality wide open is actually even better than the Sigma 35.

Only downside is the size and weight, it is absolutely HUGE

This is something that we're seeing with these modern high performance lenses but I think it's easy to understand as we can pixel peep high mp count images these days and we expect excellence across the frame and of course all that goodness comes at the price of additional size and weight and expenses too.

If I still had my Canon DSLR and old non art Sigma 85mm I wouldn't be buying one of these new arts but I do see the appeal and I'm sure there'll be many very happy new owners :D

Nope, I sent them a message via their website, sent a tweet a few days ago too and haven't heard anything at all. Ended up sending a PM to @DigitalRevDeals on here last night to see if there's any success.

Literally as I was typing this post I've just had an email to say prepped for shipment... that's twice I've had order updates after I've contacted them asking what's going on. Not sure whether it's coincidence or whether it's because of me contacting them, either way I haven't had any response [emoji20]

Hopefully you'll get it soon, I've used it for a few portrait sessions and a couple of weddings and it really is a phenomenal lens, truly useable at 1.4 which the old one wasn't for me, not when working under pressure anyway.

Back