Beginner Any point in buying bag for 100 quid? (Tamrac)

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello everyone.

I am in the market for new shoulder bag. So far I have used army bread bag and it was just fine for carrying one body and one lens. However, it is not waterproof at all, can't fully close it and I seem to be running out of space.

The idea behind the bag is quite simple - I'd get something bigger now to avoid another purchase soon. Few days ago at Dents of Chesterfield I've seen one of Tamrac bags (not sure about the exact model, looked like Stratus of some sort, seemed to be massive compared to my current one) for 99.99 and was wondering if this would be a good purchase that would last me some time. I know it's not the cheapest bag out there, it's not most expensive either, but to put it simply I am not rich enough to buy same item few times.

So the question is - are Tamrac products any good? I've seen reviews and unboxings, but nothing really about long term use. Would it be wise to get this one or just add some more cash and get something more expensive and hopefully lasting longer? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
Tom

I have a few rules in buying bags.

1 - Don't skim on it.
2 - Buy something bigger than you need (within reason for physical fitness)

Think about also how you use it, I have a bag that can fit 2 flashes, 4 to 5 lenses and a body and it is just an over the shoulder bag. However it is not a bag I carry on hike all day, more to carry between rooms in a shoot.

Think about padding, think about do you need silent opening, or even colour/discrete.

I am actually looking to get a day bag perhaps to hold my Fuji gear and Thinktank is my choice of company at the moment for their design, quality and options.

I've had a Tamarac expedition x7 now for about 5-6 years and it's as good as new! Brilliant bag! It's been in water ,sand, mud wet and it's still working fine

Thank you for your input gents.

Raymond,

1 - it is exactly my thought, hence question if this particular manufacturer has some good products. I looked at few others like Manfrotto and Lowepro, but didn't find anything that would catch my eye yet.

2 - now it won't be difficult at all as I don't have much gear yet. Then again, I want to be far more serious about my photography than I was or am at the moment, so expecting some additions to appear in it rather sooner than later.

From what I've seen they are pretty well padded, but silent opening is a feature, that could be very useful and which I forgot about. Thank you for pointing that out.

Mark, your feedback sounds very convincing! I will have a closer look at that bag, :)

Last edited:
I use a Tamrac apache shoulder bag reckon its pretty good, similar to the Think tank retrospective but lighter and a bit more flexible imo

Thank you for your input gents.

Raymond,

1 - it is exactly my thought, hence question if this particular manufacturer has some good products. I looked at few others like Manfrotto and Lowepro, but didn't find anything that would catch my eye yet.

2 - now it won't be difficult at all as I don't have much gear yet. Then again, I want to be far more serious about my photography than I was or am at the moment, so expecting some additions to appear in it rather sooner than later.

From what I've seen they are pretty well padded, but silent opening is a feature, that could be very useful and which I forgot about. Thank you for pointing that out.

Mark, your feedback sounds very convincing! I will have a closer look at that bag, :)

My first bag was a Samsonite one, it hold 1 body and 2 lenses, thinking that would do.

That bag lasted quite a while I guess, mainly because at the time I was in uni and it was back in film days so it cost to shoot and all my money went into that. Since I turned digital that bag went out the window really fast and I went from a Crumpler Geekstar into Italian Connection which I realise when full, it is very heavy, so my way of carrying my gear is to use a wheel case and use my geekstar to take out the lenses i want for the shoot.

The point is I don't try to carry ALL my gear over my shoulder, I carry what I need. If I am carrying all my gear between A to B, I use a wheel case. So I wouldn't get a bag that is too big, just get one that is the right size for a day shoot.

I've had a Tamarac expedition x7 now for about 5-6 years and it's as good as new! Brilliant bag! It's been in water ,sand, mud wet and it's still working fine
I'll second that wouldn't be without mine either (y)

Once again thank you all for input.

When I get to the point I can actually choose what I want to have with me on the shoot, I guess I will figure out other means of transportation for gear. Now I definitely need two more lenses - 35 1.4 and 85 1.4 as work with 50 alone is not as effective as it could be ;). To avoid swapping them every few minutes in dusty enviroment, I'd use two bodies (one is without lens at the moment). That bag will be enough to fit it all and much more, but will have a good look and chat with seller (I deffo could ask for opinion as he wasn't focused on sales at all when I spoke with him).

Seeing positive feedback however might make choice much easier. I appreciate your all posts.

I bought a secondhand but Little used Billingham 445 for £100. Excellent bag built like a tank and not too heavy.

Never had a Tamrac, but I have a couple of Manfrotto, a Think tank and a Kata. They were all over £100 [one was €300, more of a roller/airport bag] , and I would say more than worth it. I have 2 of them about 5 years now and not a rip or wary thread. You should always get the best bag you can afford IMO.

Last edited:
Got a Tamrac Pro 12, had it for probably 10years. Not really used it too much lately as I bought a Dryzone backpack.
However the tamrac is well made, never let me down. As Hertsman said you will be better off buying secondhand.

Got a tarmac exp' 7 a few weeks ago used, roughtie toughtie compared to my lowepro flipside...but that is really only relevant to use in different environments...
Both bought used mind, both a bargain

I have a Tenba Cooper and its quality - but has a high price tag. Bought mine in the sales.

The best buy is one that always follows you an
that you never regret. Given that you may keep
it for 20 years the equation comes to 5 quids a
year… very cheap!.

For all-day use a backpack is far more comfortable than a shoulder bag. For shoulder bags, Billingham are the dog's goolies in terms of build quality and waterproofness. Depends where you go and what you do and what your sense of style is.

I'd agree as to functionality, after one airshow my shoulders hated me, but I am not too sure about various bits laying on top of each other. Think it was some Manfrotto backpack I saw fully loaded with Canon with some big lens attached to it, then there was one small divider and another body under it. Didn't look too safe to me...

Never spend too much on a bag as if you have a lot a kit you will need more than one bag.

I picked up a billingham 335 from a guy I visited last year! He had no idea what he had! I said ...... I'll give you £50 for that right now........ he said ok but your mad paying that!!!! I paid him and as I was walking out the door with my bargain he said to me

I got that from the tip today!

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Last edited:
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

So he wasn't at a loss anyway :). Could anyone point me to the tip with stuff like that?? :D And perhaps to one with tripods too?? :D

Proper camera shops (of which there are few left) often sell camera bags dirt cheap if they have the least sign of use. I got one of those big Tamrac professional bags for £15 once, the sort that takes two bodies and half a dozen lenses, then needs a couple of body builders to carry it around for you! :D

Last edited:
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

So he wasn't at a loss anyway :). Could anyone point me to the tip with stuff like that?? :D And perhaps to one with tripods too?? :D

The bag new retails at £320

Never spend too much on a bag as if you have a lot a kit you will need more than one bag.

That doesn't really make good sense. If you have "a lot of kit" then surely you can set some of that money you're spending on it aside for good enough bags to keep it all protected! No point having thousands of pounds worth of gear and chucking it into a bag that might fall apart or allow your gear to get wet or dusty. If you must save a little on bags, at least make sure they are weather resistant and well padded inside.

Billingham bags are made about 2 miles from where I live, I used to know someone who worked there and they could get the "seconds" for peanuts - as long as they weren't going to sell them on.

There is a bugger one and a smaller one.

Funny typo! My more usual one is hitting the I instead of the U when typing SHUTTER... ;)

just purchased one of these http://www.wexphotographic.com/tamrac-stratus-21-shoulder-bag-1584051/.

One reason why I didn't go for a smaller one is you can't stand a 70-200mm lens upright. as well as have a few more lenses in the bag . In The past and had for years is a Tamrac System 6 which suits for flights and cruises. The stratus 21 my guess would be more for going to one place and setting up for a shoot as the weight of 2 cameras several lenses and bits and pieces can get very heavy to lug about all day

There isn't the perfect bag out there. I've got four - all of which are ideal for some circumstances.

Don't fall into the trap of having a bag that can accommodate all your camera gear. You don't need to take everything with you all the time. Some people have bags purely for storage of kit at home

Tamrac are a good brand.

Additional:

I have a Lowepro backpack which I use when walking in the countryside.

I have a Peli roller case which is rugged, but is heavy and useless over poor terrain

I have a big Lowepro shoulder bag for when a smarter appearance is required.

I have a smaller Lowepro messenger type bag which allows me to take a small amount of kit as hand luggage in an aeroplane.

Last edited:
Image1496072004.498552.jpgive got locked [emoji357] cabinet in the man cave !!!!!

No point at all, but get it anyway and start the collection, one for every conceivable purpose, but convinced the next one will be the perfect do it all bag and you can flog the rest.

Last edited:
ebay is very good for bags, just search for auction sales and given time can pick up some bargains, then sell it and buy another:rolleyes:

There is no perfect bag. Most of the time there is no need to carry all of your photo gear. I have 5/6 bags and each can be very useful. Sometimes you may need several lenses, other times one is sufficient. Get one that suits your purpose and feels comfortable. Personally I would pay £100 for a decent bag but not much more. My most used bag is a Tamrac backpack, not massive but looks as good as new after approx 10 years, but I tend to be careful. I have just bought a Lowepro backpack as I needed something slightly larger.

Back