Any runners on here?

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Thought I would see how many runners are on here and pick any tips, because i have done something very silly!!!

Yes, the most I have run is 3 miles and i have a half marathon at the end of Feb to look forward to (Cambridge Half). In fact, the 3 miles was a while back, just ran out of time so let that slip so getting myself back into it now. One issue I am having is that my trainers hurt my foot arch (instep?). I got these a couple of years ago after going on one of those machines that they film you on to make sure they work with your style. After about half a mile I can feel an ache, is that just the fact I am unfit?

How old are you and how unfit now?

I'm 54, used to run casually in my early 20s (did a 35:23 10K, aged 23) then stopped for years and returned last year. At first everything hurt after just a mile or less, but gradually built up distance and I'm now up to 14K with a couple of half marathons planned next spring. Build up gradually and see if things keep aching or the discomfort goes away, though if your shoes are more than 2 years old I'd seriously consider getting replacements (foam doesn't last forever).

A good tip I picked up was not to try to extend by more than 10% per week, and although early on one can make some big gains quite rapidly, as the distance stretches it's important not to expect to easily transition from, say 10K to 15K in one go while maintaining the same pace.

It could be that you are not used to the orthotics of the trainers (if that is what you did get done with the gait analysis), or the need for orthotics.

It could be that you are not used to the orthotics of the trainers (if that is what you did get done with the gait analysis), or the need for orthotics.

Could be, just very off putting when it hurts!

How old are you and how unfit now?

I'm 54, used to run casually in my early 20s (did a 35:23 10K, aged 23) then stopped for years and returned last year. At first everything hurt after just a mile or less, but gradually built up distance and I'm now up to 14K with a couple of half marathons planned next spring. Build up gradually and see if things keep aching or the discomfort goes away, though if your shoes are more than 2 years old I'd seriously consider getting replacements (foam doesn't last forever).

A good tip I picked up was not to try to extend by more than 10% per week, and although early on one can make some big gains quite rapidly, as the distance stretches it's important not to expect to easily transition from, say 10K to 15K in one go while maintaining the same pace.

Not the fittest, too many pounds although do play 5 aside still at the age of 42 and will often walk a few miles. Funnily enough my 20 min run earlier saw an ache at half a mile disappear later on.

Simon, Toni is similar to me around three years younger, and I would agee with him on everything, particularly about extending mileage. I started running when I was 16, and was running around 20 miles a week then without any problems, and then increased it with other sports - badminton, cycling, charity walks.
When I was 25, I did a track (grass track) 5K in 14m26s, as part of a novelty sports day at work, and then won a couple of cross country races in the Spring.
I was quite impatient when I saw improvement, and it counted against me when it came to marathons. I used to sail through the halfway points well under pace then fade later on.
To be honest, if you have 13.1 miles to run in Feb and you are struggling to run 3 now, then you are in trouble.
I think that we would have to know your weight and height to advise further, as well as knowing what the wear patterns are on the soles of your running shoes. If you break down the soles on the instep at the heel then you are pronating (I think that is right) and you need more (stiffer) support on the inside of the heel.
I used Nike Air Pegasus in the past, and found them very supportive, didn't break down and allowed me to go through the halfway check in London 1992 in 1h26m approx - although I later suffered knee problems and finished in just under 3h13m.
I am not convinced by the shop machines which calculate foot plant and the like.

Um, yeah, I run a bit.....

To be honest, if you have 13.1 miles to run in Feb and you are struggling to run 3 now, then you are in trouble.

I'm not sure it's that much of an issue. 4 months to go gives plenty of time to ramp up the miles. I don't think I'd ever run more than 10K when I did my first half :)

I am not convinced by the shop machines which calculate foot plant and the like.

Totally agree - 2 mins videoing from somebody working on sales commission isn't proper analysis. I got 2 totally different answers the two times I have had this done.

After about half a mile I can feel an ache, is that just the fact I am unfit?

Probably not. It could be lack of foot strength. But it's more likely to be badly fitting shoes. If they hurt after half a mile they are going to hurt a lot more after 13.1.

If the machines do anything they look out for foot roll. But they don't analyse whether the shoe fits (and for some reason, shoe shops have stopped x-raying your foot....). You could try different insoles - personally I'm against orthotics but you can get replacement insoles with a lower arch. Or try some different shoes. Runners love to buy shoes.......

I do a bit of running, maybe 5 miles a week though to complement my cycling
Plenty of stretching exercises prior to starting exercise and if you are "chubby" look at addressing that also it just adds to the hammer on the knees..

I'm 56 going on 57 and I started running in earnest about two and a half years ago as I was putting on the pounds (at 16.5 stones) and was not at all happy with my physical condition. I think your Half Marathon ambitions are achievable. I did one a few months after I started running seriously and have since done several races (10km and 5km as well as other Half Marathons).

I'm a plodder really - slower than a herd of tortoises stampeding through liquid toffee - but I can run a fair old distance and typically run between 25km and 35 km a week these days.

You have nearly 15 years on me age wise so unless you're suffering from major health issues you should be fine as long as you approach the training sensibly. A good source of personalised training programmes is My Asics. And a good site to have a look at is this one where you'll find a great running community and lots of advice.

And get yourself a decent pair of shoes from a good running shop.

Oh and don't do stretches before running. There's much evidence that it actually results in muscle injury. Simply do gentle warm ups by brisk walking/gentle jogging.

Last edited:
I used to run a lot Halfs and marathons, until I f***ed up my ankle - these days i can't really do more than 5 before it starts tohurt and the doc says its permanent :(

in terms of advice - decent shoes are key - don't run in s***ty old trainers, and you might want to try out something like couch to 10k and 10k to half marathon apps

Interesting stuff, thanks. Interesting that a few of you dont rate trainers with orthotics, I do feel the same. When I found the instep hurting I tried an ol cheap pair and they didnt hurt as much, so I think a trip out to buy a standard pair of running trainers is in order, any preference you guys have in terms of which ones? Sure, they have to fit and feel nice but anything to look for?

Got a few apps, just working which one works best.

Interesting stuff, thanks. Interesting that a few of you dont rate trainers with orthotics, I do feel the same. When I found the instep hurting I tried an ol cheap pair and they didnt hurt as much, so I think a trip out to buy a standard pair of running trainers is in order, any preference you guys have in terms of which ones? Sure, they have to fit and feel nice but anything to look for?

Got a few apps, just working which one works best.

What is your price range for running shoes - please do not just wear "trainers".

What is your price range for running shoes - please do not just wear "trainers".

that - trainers are for going to the gym , and/or playing basket ball and such (or just impressing the young uns with your street cred)

For running you need running shoes - and what sort depends much on where you'll principally be running (ie on grass or on tarmac) and also on your footshape etc. Pages have been wriitenon choosing a pair so theres way more than we can cover here

articles like this are a good place to start http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/shoes/choosing-a-shoe-the-very-basics/481.html

My last set were New Balance, but Ive also had Nike , Reebok and Asics over the years - you can't beat going to a decent shop and trying some on

My current pair are proper running ones, saucony I think. Budget, 50-90 I guess. Thing is while they may feel ok In store, I won't know if they are good for s few miles!

I echo what a lot of others have said. The half is achievable but ensure you have correct fitting trainers with correct footbed's if needed and almost as importantly, map out a training plan building up to what you need. If you can build up to 10 miles by beginning/middle of February then you'll be fine. Enjoy it and good luck.:clap:

When I started running I had some lightweight shoes (kickers 'go-run' IIRC) sold for running designed for a mid-sole strike: great idea, but nothing like enough cushioning for road running, and with a sole so soft and thin I can feel the ground through them. Went to the local sports direct running shoe section, and was looking at New Balance and Nike shoes, but was directed to their Karrimor shoes instead at £27 rather than £60+. I've done about 300 road miles in them now, and getting ready to change for a new pair as I think the cushioning will be wearing and the sole has worn. Reasonable shoes don't have to be expensive.

When I started running I had some lightweight shoes (kickers 'go-run' IIRC) sold for running designed for a mid-sole strike: great idea, but nothing like enough cushioning for road running, and with a sole so soft and thin I can feel the ground through them. Went to the local sports direct running shoe section, and was looking at New Balance and Nike shoes, but was directed to their Karrimor shoes instead at £27 rather than £60+. I've done about 300 road miles in them now, and getting ready to change for a new pair as I think the cushioning will be wearing and the sole has worn. Reasonable shoes don't have to be expensive.
It's all very well getting inexpensive running shoes but a decent pair should last you 500-600 miles. So while you can get bargains you need to put your feet in something decent. False economy otherwise.

I have made the assumption that the cushioning is going - when I used to run the expected life of a pair of shoes was 300 miles, give or take, and to an extent I'd quite like a 'nice' pair of running shoes. TBH even if these lasted half as long as the shoes listed on that Runner World link I'd still be quids in provided they worked as well in other respects.

Two things here.....

1. Sports Direct recently bought Sweatshop. They also own the brand Karrimor. Sweatshop's advice has recently changed from being pretty good impartial advice to "buy Karrimor". It's no surprise that SD do the same. If you're happy with them, that's great, keep wearing them. But I know a lot of people who have hurt themselves wearing Karrimor shoes when they really shouldn't (their trail shoes seem to be particularly awful). I also don't know anybody who has ever seen them at full price :) If an outsole wore out in 300 road miles I'd never buy that kind again.

2. Don't confuse cushioning with support. I'm currently trying to get used to a pair of Hokas for high mileage. These have crazy amounts of padding but are a very low drop shoe. They are very comfortable for long distance but don't give my ankles as much support as something with less padding. I felt pretty good lining up at the Great South Run in minimal Nike Flyknit Free 4.0s which are essentially a bit of knitted upper, a thin insole and some grippy rubber. Then I noticed a guy next to me in bare feet. Good technique will beat padding any day and lots of padding can prevent good technique.

But the bottom line is that brand doesn't really matter - all major shoe companies will make something to suit you. And what other people wear doesn't matter. You really want to find somewhere that will analyse your running style properly and then advise on the best shoes for you. Sadly these places are getting harder to find - especially as IMO Sweatshop no longer counts.

BTW if you just want to buy good shoes cheap then www.sportsshoes.com ;)

If you can find a decent local running shop that will do proper gait analysis they're worth using. You'll pay more than you would at a discounter but if they're a store with a good reputation they'll provide help and guidance in choosing what's best for you within your budget. Try going during the week as at weekends you'll find many shops are pretty busy and you might not get the time and attention you need.

Once you find a pair of shoes that suit you, it's often worth getting a second identical pair to rotate them, particularly in the winter months when you're often running in wet conditions. A second pair can be used while the first pair is drying out.

There's a running speciality shop in Banbury that I might visit. Good technique is probably going to be wishful thinking, at least for running on the road I suspect. OTOH I dd my first 10 miles yesterday afternoon, and was pleased not to be achey this morning.

I may well repace those shoes anyway, because the left is definitely wearing differently from the right, and I'm becoming aware of damage to toe nails and some tingling in the ball of that foot after about 10K. Probably sooner rather than later.

I'm becoming aware of damage to toe nails and some tingling in the ball of that foot after about 10K

Damaged toe nails are often because of shoe movement (especially on downhills). Option 1 might help

wA6OROl.jpg

Tingling feet is often because the toe box is too narrow. I'd take a good look at your shoes and consider another pair if this is happening often at 10k distances.

I've only been running for a year. Used to hate it with a passion, but once getting to a comfortable 10k level, I actually started enjoying the running a lot more. Made it to half marathon distance, which was enough for me, though I'm keen to tick a marathon off at some point.
I have problems with my ankle, knee and hip on the right side, following years of competitive snowboarding. A lot of people recommended this trainer, and that trainer, but one thing helped me eradicate the pain more than anything.
Whilst I dont run barefoot, the principles are the same, a higher cadence, shorter stride, and contact with the ball of the foot, with only a small tap with the heel. Have a look a the video, it took me a week or so to nail the technique, but i havent looked back since

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZdL9vq6EF0

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2010/feb/07/the-challenge-barefoot-running

Damaged toe nails are often because of shoe movement (especially on downhills). Option 1 might help

wA6OROl.jpg

Tingling feet is often because the toe box is too narrow. I'd take a good look at your shoes and consider another pair if this is happening often at 10k distances.

Thanks for that - ATM they're laced as in the Heel Slipping pic. I have long, narrow feet, and the toe box is definitely not too narrow - it feels far more like pressure on the ball of the foot in the same way that certain guitar playing positions cause tingling due to pressure. It doesn't always happen, but it has happened a couple of times recently. The area where I live is in a river valley, and every route involves running either up or down steepish hills (according to Endomondo my 16K run had a total ascent and descent of 630m) which certainly contributes to the toe nail damage.

Re cadence and stride, my natural run is with a longer stride, but I've made myself run with a shorter stride/faster cadence, especially down hill, since re-starting running last year. I'll watch the video later, thanks.

I've enough expensive hobbies already and don't want to become a serious runner, but it's nice to be able to do a little more than just jog round the corner, if you understand where I'm coming from.

Two things here.....

1. Sports Direct recently bought Sweatshop. They also own the brand Karrimor. Sweatshop's advice has recently changed from being pretty good impartial advice to "buy Karrimor". It's no surprise that SD do the same. If you're happy with them, that's great, keep wearing them. But I know a lot of people who have hurt themselves wearing Karrimor shoes when they really shouldn't (their trail shoes seem to be particularly awful). I also don't know anybody who has ever seen them at full price :) If an outsole wore out in 300 road miles I'd never buy that kind again.

Karrimor are possibly the worst "sports" shoes on the market IMO. I bought a pair of "walking" shoes a few years ago, because they fitted well and seemed to have a good sole pattern and adequate support. At the end of the first month, the sole was starting to wear through in places, and there wasn't any real midsole, it was just different colours, so I used to get dead feet.
When I did my last marathon back in 1992, I wore Nike Air Pegasus, and I was doing a regular thirty to forty miles a week for about five or six months before the event, and used them for ages after. I am lucky in that I have a fairly even sole wear pattern, but even so I must have done well over a thousand miles in them - not counting all the walking as well.

Nice video. Without watching all of i yet, it looks like he follows a lot of the ideas of Chi Running or Kinetic Revolution. Which is no great surprise - all of these basically come from analysing how elite runners run and then finding how to coach that. I'll definitely watch it later.

When I did my last marathon back in 1992, I wore Nike Air Pegasus, and I was doing a regular thirty to forty miles a week for about five or six months before the event, and used them for ages after. I am lucky in that I have a fairly even sole wear pattern, but even so I must have done well over a thousand miles in them - not counting all the walking as well.

I retire my Asics at 5 - 600 miles as I can tell the midsole has taken a hammering by then. Tread still looks pretty good on that. I just chuck them in the washing machine, add some quick laces and wear them as casual shoes.

Nope. Use my Garmin GPS watch to track my runs. Upload the files to Garmin Connect and Fetcheveryone. Also record runs manually in MyAsics

If you wanted to, you could set the Garmin to interface directly to Strava (it uploads to Garmin connect then pushes the data over to Strava automagically). Strava is taking over the world.....

If you wanted to, you could set the Garmin to interface directly to Strava (it uploads to Garmin connect then pushes the data over to Strava automagically). Strava is taking over the world.....

But why would you want to?

Put it another way: I stuck with endomondo because it doesn't do things the way Strava does. I like that it just gives me a record of personal performance without all that 'king of the mountain' or 'your time between the dead tramp and the next lamp post is the fastest' stuff. Strava works well for some of my friends, but it's not for everyone. :)

Ok - very briefly.....

Your new to running so start correctly and master forefoot running style to minimise injury, build up strength in lower leg and foot and provide a natural gait ensuring your don't get injured in knee and hip. You will need a low profile shoe.

Next 10% rule is a must. Running is not like cycling (i do both) so needs a lot of conditioning of joints, tendons and muscles.

Listen to your body and rest when needed.

Ensure you are fueling workouts.

Purchase a foam roller and use very evening after a bath or shower to release lactic acid and loosen sore and still muscles.

Warm up before a run (1 mile gentle for me) and cool down (again 1 mile). Stretch post run.

Next read 80/20 by Matt Fitzpatrick when you start hitting platues with speed or progress. This has been the major breakthrough for me.

I use a Garmin Fenix 3 to track performance in real time so that I ensure I am following my 80/20 programme. I also upload to Strava.

I broke my big toe 4 weeks ago night time trail running, so I will be back to running 1 mile to start off again!

Last edited:
I would add doing stretching exercises before and after a run, holding each stretch for twenty seconds.

I would add doing stretching exercises before and after a run, holding each stretch for twenty seconds.

Hmmm.....

Static stretches before running have really fallen out of favour lately. Dynamic before, static after is the new mantra.

Me? Lots of reasons. You apparently not so much.

I was explaining how it was technically possible with no effort.

Obviously I was not referring to you specifically but 'you' being someone else generally and mountkeen in particular. No reason not to use Strava if that suits you best, but there's lots of other ways of tracking performance that may be more appealing for those who feel otherwise.

Obviously I was not referring to you specifically but 'you' being someone else generally and mountkeen in particular. No reason not to use Strava if that suits you best, but there's lots of other ways of tracking performance that may be more appealing for those who feel otherwise.

:)

Yeah - high on the list of reasons I like it is that most of my running friends use it. For some reason Endomodo etc never got that much traction among people I know. I guess soon all but one of them will close down and the winner will start to charge. My money's on Strava ;)

Blinking heck, doesn't time march on?

Yeah - it came in with the whole "hydrating" thing. I remember when I used to drink water. Now I have to monitor my hydration levels :D

Isn't hydration a bit like Colin Chapman's mantra of "If it breaks, it's too light. If it doesn't break, it's too heavy." in that if you're peeing, you're overhydrated but if you're not, you're dehydrating? :p

Back