Any runners on here?

Really annoying injury now. Almost 2 weeks ago ran my best ever 10k. Then 2 days later, ran home from work (7 miles) and all was good. Aimed to go out on Sat for 10 miles but gave up at 3. Just after half a mile my left knee felt 'funny'! It was ok then felt a bit like when you pinch either side of knee cap or elbow, almost like it was not going to lock properly? It came, went, came, went and a couple of times I sort of pulled up like a footballer when a muscle goes but then was ok after a few strides.

Anyway, general walking around was fine, went out for half a mile Tues and all ok. Ran home yesterday (10k) and after 2 miles it happened again. Carried on, sometimes felt perfectly ok, other times same as above. As soon as i stopped walking was more painful. The run wasnt bad considering, 1.01 for a 10k, a time i would have been chuffed with a month or two ago so it didnt affect me too much.

What are you doing to prevent injury?

Currently just resting it. But aside from having a proper warm up and not over doing it (tend to run twice a week) thats it

Mmmmhmmm :)

What you are doing now is resting it to recover from injury. Which is good, it's the right thing to do. Assuming you have no pain when you don't run, try adding this every day.

To prevent injury consider something like this

RunSmart is a great program for building leg strength and hip mobility. 15 mins a day can prevent weeks of recovery.

Physio I had after my knee first went out advised wall sits, squats and lunges to rebuild your strength

Lol, down, then up then down!!

So didn't run for 10 days to rest it. Went out on Sat for a quick 2 mile blast, did ok, but not 100% about things. Had my 10k race on Sunday, PB with a time of 57:48 (flew out the blocks with an 8:00 first mile too) and not even a twinge (even though in the warm up I was convinced the knee was dodgy).

So go for a 2 mile blast today ahead of 10 miles on Sat and guess what... achilles tendonitis!!!

Does anyone do a lot of stretching beforehand? I feel like the older I get the longer I need to prep.

I think it'll surprise you how much longer you can go if you do. On bad days my muscles get sore before they get tired..

Does anyone do a lot of stretching beforehand? I feel like the older I get the longer I need to prep.

I always understood it was counterproductive to stretch beforehand, indeed it’s positively bad for you as you’re stretching cold muscles.

I do try to do a warm down after a run but don’t stretch then as much as I should.

I always understood it was counterproductive to stretch beforehand, indeed it’s positively bad for you as you’re stretching cold muscles.

Last time I checked this, the advice was dynamic stretching before, static after.

There are some good pre run stretches on YouTube like this

and runners arabesque is good for waking up ankles and balance.

I like the variation where you touch the toe on the stance leg as you bend forward.

Back