Any runners on here?

Managed to do 1407 km last year. Compared to just over 1000 km for each of the previous couple of years that was a quite a jump. I'd probably have managed 1500 km if it hadn't been for a couple of bouts of illness, so I'm going for 1500 km as a target this year. It's not too ambitious as its only just over 4k per day.

Cambridge half today... better than last year but disappointed with the time. Although my training was better than last year, not enough long runs which could explain the bad cramps at 11-13 miles. Still, you live and learn and plan to do another. I will get under 2h30 sometime!

Hopefully I'll get around to re-starting running soon, but it's really hard to find the inclination ATM.

Over the past few months I've started to road run, nothing serious (solo stuff), I've never really done it before. I'm now up to four miles each run, no major speed involved but doing it all the same, at the beginning (a few months back) I used to stop/start quite a bit and get outta breath, but now I can run the four miles without stopping.

I hope to slightly extend my distance to a few extra miles as the spring/summer kicks in.

It's all a slow progress with me but feeling the benefits of it to be honest..! I must say I'm nearly enjoying it......I don't find it easy as I'm fast approaching my late 50's, no excuse I know.

Regards;
Peter

Last edited:
Over the past few months I've started to road run, nothing serious (solo stuff), I've never really done it before. I'm now up to four miles each run, no major speed involved but doing it all the same, at the beginning (a few months back) I used to stop/start quite a bit and get outta breath, but now I can run the four miles without stopping.

I hope to slightly extend my distance to a few extra miles as the spring/summer kicks in.

It's all a slow progress with me but feeling the benefits of it to be honest..! I must say I'm nearly enjoying it......I don't find it easy as I'm fast approaching my late 50's, no excuse I know.

Regards;
Peter

Sounds like a good start to me. Slow and steady is the way to go. See my earlier posts about fracturing my leg from ramping up training too quickly, and now suffering with my knee tendons as I always do, trying to get back running again.

Age certainly won't stop you, but may make recovery longer, so even more reason to keep on the sensible path of slow and steady build up. As I mentioned earlier in this thread my dad had never run anywhere until he retired in his late 50s. Ran his first marathon at 59 I think, and made it a trail marathon up in the Lakes for good measure. Then went off and did some road bike racing, definitely fitter at 60 than he was at 30. Now he's closer to 70, he's backed off the intensity because injuries just don't heal like they used to (plus, he needs more time for the pub) but if you go about it the right way, there's no reason you can't take up running (and enjoying it!) at any age.

Cambridge half today... better than last year but disappointed with the time. Although my training was better than last year, not enough long runs which could explain the bad cramps at 11-13 miles. Still, you live and learn and plan to do another. I will get under 2h30 sometime!

Nice one :)

I have my first half in a l-o-n-g time next Sunday and I'm a little bit nervous. But the plan says take it slow and steady so I won't be flogging myself. And i have 27 days until the big one in Rome :D

I turned 58 in January and find that recovering from illness or injury takes a lot longer than a few years back. I had flu at the beginning of February and that really knocked me back. It's taken me the best part of three weeks to get back into things to any great degree and I'm still running slower than I was at the end of last year.

Went for 5.5k this morning and that was okay but I struggled on a longer 10k run at the weekend.

'k I knew I had a sub 4 in me.

Went out to Rome for the weekend, spent Saturday sight seeing and stuffing my face with pizza in the heat and then Sunday running the marathon in some of the worst rain I've run in (I mean, nothing like Fowlmead on a good day but the clue's in the name there, isn't it?).

Anyway, miles and miles of wet cobbles that felt just like ice to run on, trip hazards from thousand of sponges and plastic cups (srsly guys, throw them away from the road...), one runner in front of me taken out by a vicious pedestrian with a shopping trolley and the odd pope's house on the way and I slipped and slithered my way to a 3:56 :). Of course now I'm pretty sure I could have a stab at a 3:30..........

Went out to Rome for the weekend, spent Saturday sight seeing and stuffing my face with pizza in the heat and then Sunday running the marathon in some of the worst rain I've run in (I mean, nothing like Fowlmead on a good day but the clue's in the name there, isn't it?).

Anyway, miles and miles of wet cobbles that felt just like ice to run on, trip hazards from thousand of sponges and plastic cups (srsly guys, throw them away from the road...), one runner in front of me taken out by a vicious pedestrian with a shopping trolley and the odd pope's house on the way and I slipped and slithered my way to a 3:56 :). Of course now I'm pretty sure I could have a stab at a 3:30..........

Great time and having been to Rome it must have been great to see some of the sights through the rain!

Well done mate. Sounds like it was an interesting race to say the least.

Anybody (else) still running? It's actually properly warm out there now.

I have a 24 hour race next weekend....................... :runaway:

Signing up to this thread, currently running 25-30 miles per week plus 50 miles cycling. Did first full marathon last summer then had some tendon injuries. Been properly running again about 3 months. Did first half marathon distance in training again last Sunday at 1:38 and some seconds and injury free! 8 miles tomorrow

It certainly is warm. Was out at 7:00 this morning after an uncomfortable night's sleep for a gentle 5k.

I've been so busy with work this past few months its not been easy to fit as much running in as I would like but I'm managing about 20 miles a week.

Was it lots and lots of the same lap? Didn't you find it a bit boring after a while? Not that I'm suggesting that's not a brilliant achievement btw.

5 mile lap over trails. So, yeah, 11 X round the same bits. Obviously it looked different when it went dark ;)

Currently suffering (according to google) from Achilles Tendonitis!

Just after the half I started to do a lot more biking (biking to town sort of stuff rather than racing so around 12mph) - did 100 miles in two weeks coupled with some small runs then lots of walking around New York (70 miles in 5 days). Walking is fine but when I run now I do get an ache - rest seems to be the healing tactic but anyone else had this and how long was recovery?

Currently suffering (according to google) from Achilles Tendonitis!

Just after the half I started to do a lot more biking (biking to town sort of stuff rather than racing so around 12mph) - did 100 miles in two weeks coupled with some small runs then lots of walking around New York (70 miles in 5 days). Walking is fine but when I run now I do get an ache - rest seems to be the healing tactic but anyone else had this and how long was recovery?

Not had Achilles tendinitis but had other tendon issues. It all depends how much damage is done. 4-8 weeks for stuff that hurts has been my experience. If it's a dull ache as you describe you may not need that long. Eccentric heel drops are good as they help break up scar tissue. As they heal tendons need to get worked a bit for all the fibers to straighten and lengthen. So you want to feel theyve been worked but not a pain. When I get tendon issues running I only cycle for a few weeks and then ease back in on flatter runs along the canal. 15 minute alternating hot/cold also helps as the heat improves blood flow and the cold removes the grot

I stopped in August 2016 after swelling knees wouldn't go down with rest & restarted in April - just got back to managing 5K again, and it doesn't feel too bad.

IMG_0447.JPG

Did the Abersoch half marathon a couple of weeks ago (I’m second from the right) with a time of 1:31:57. I finished 15th out of 253 finishers. It’s a tough but beautiful course. The last 0.8miles along the beach hurdling the groynes was intense.

View attachment 111459

Did the Abersoch half marathon a couple of weeks ago (I’m second from the right) with a time of 1:31:57. I finished 15th out of 253 finishers. It’s a tough but beautiful course. The last 0.8miles along the beach hurdling the groynes was intense.

Nice one. Great time too.

Me, I've just started training for a 100 mile in March..................... :)

Done a few 10ks without any real training in my time, even did they Sheffield half marathon a couple of years ago with no training (never again) Longest 3 hours of my life, that combined with a 10K 6 months later with the same amount of training really messed up my knee. Ended up in the physio not sure if Id be able to do my Triathlon (which I did end up training for a little).

Not done anything physical since and it really shows. Back to the gym tonight with a view to back into running!

Need a new challenge if anyone has any suggestions?

Done a few 10ks without any real training in my time, even did they Sheffield half marathon a couple of years ago with no training (never again) Longest 3 hours of my life, that combined with a 10K 6 months later with the same amount of training really messed up my knee. Ended up in the physio not sure if Id be able to do my Triathlon (which I did end up training for a little).

Not done anything physical since and it really shows. Back to the gym tonight with a view to back into running!

Need a new challenge if anyone has any suggestions?

I’m transitioning to barefoot/minimalist running to improve my form, run naturally and efficiently and with less injuries. Done my first 2 short runs and it does feel really good.

Knee issues are generally caused by;

Too much too soon, the tendons cant take it (this seems highly likely in your case due to what you said about lack of training)

Muscle imbalance, often weak quads if you’ve done a lot of running (I incorporate cycling which balances things nicely I find)

Overstriding/heel striking (this also seems likely to have played a big part)

Contrary to popular belief running with good form and training smart will improve knees instead of hurting them.

All the best

Really annoyed, building myself back up after 2 months off with damaged ribs... did the first week of plan ok, then aimed to do 3 miles and actually did 4, went to go out last night and I seemed to have pulled muscle or something in back - most annoying!

I’m transitioning to barefoot/minimalist running to improve my form, run naturally and efficiently and with less injuries. Done my first 2 short runs and it does feel really good.

Knee issues are generally caused by;

Too much too soon, the tendons cant take it (this seems highly likely in your case due to what you said about lack of training)

Muscle imbalance, often weak quads if you’ve done a lot of running (I incorporate cycling which balances things nicely I find)

Overstriding/heel striking (this also seems likely to have played a big part)

Contrary to popular belief running with good form and training smart will improve knees instead of hurting them.

All the best

I try to avoid running on my heels where possible, it first thing I was warned of when I started out by a bloke in the gym.

I started back at the gym on Tuesday and can feel that I've been off it for so long.. Looking at the Lincoln 10k in march.

Yeah.....I did a marathon yesterday. It was a mix of flinty trail and concrete sea wall. A friend was there who is a very experienced bare foot runner. He managed an extremely impressive 18.7 miles but I was a lot happier in my Hokas than he was. Warmer too.

So my local(ish) council appears to have had a rush of blood to the head. Or some kind of crazy runner in charge of stuff.

Where most councils organise a 1k for the kids and a 3k do it from the sofa dash for the parents, Medway like to do things a bit differently. In the summer they had a massive OCR. This weekend, they held a 12 hour night time ultra. Start at 6 pm (yes, after dark) run as many 2.5 mile laps as you can by 6am (yes, before dawn). Amazing organisation with aid station, medical support, massage and general encouragement through the night.

I had a bit of a tough time when my headtorch packed up around marathon distance and ten I got seriously cold while trying to fix it. Made the cutoff to do "one more lap" by about 1 minute and got sent out again with 2 support runners to bring me home.

Great race. Tough though....

meangate.jpg

I have just done my 3rd Half Marathon and it was much better than the previous ones (due to better training and diet!) - I want to do a couple more this year but the local ones all have elements of (or are all) off-road. These will vary and of course be affected by weather (the one in June shouldn't be a mudbath!) and will include bridleways and paths etc. As these are near Cambridge, hills will be minimal! So, firstly, is there a rule of thumb to suggest how much slower I would be - if my last half was 2hr 20, should I expect to match that time, be 5/10/20 mins slower? Looking at the results the winners seem to be around 10 mins slower than Cambridge Half, although that does attract a lot more elite runners). Also, is a pair of trail running shoes needed or will my normal ones be ok?

So, firstly, is there a rule of thumb to suggest how much slower I would be - if my last half was 2hr 20, should I expect to match that time, be 5/10/20 mins slower?

Not really. You'll see a lot of strange stories about trail because "trail" in the US often seems to mean a road without a pavement :) Trail in the UK could almost literally be anything (including 13.1 miles of polished tarmac). If you can get a GPX of the route you can put it in Google Earth and figure out the terrain but....why bother? Run it, enjoy it, assume the time you do is the best time you could do on the day.

Also, is a pair of trail running shoes needed or will my normal ones be ok?

Depends a lot on the terrain and weather. If it's hard packed trail and dry then road shoes are perfectly fine - some people prefer them because they are usually lighter. If it's slippery stuff or loose stuff or has really steep bits (up or down) or river crossings then you'd probably be happier in trail shoes. More grip and more protection. Usually the race website will have guidance notes. If not, get on their FB page and ask road or trail.

Nice work :)

Not been running all week as my 3rd metatarsal got bruised on a long run last week :( Putting in some strength work in the gym plus balance and stretch.

I have the South Downs Way to do this summer so I need all the time on my feet I can get.

I am entered into a 10k in 3 weeks then a half at start of June. If I don’t have races lined up I easily find other things to do at weekends and don’t have the discipline to keep going. And then I am back to where I was last Sept when a mile would take over 12 minutes (although I was 3 stone heavier then).

Went over on my knee again on some ice in Feb, its healed now so I've started to run again... Well, i can do about 1km before i almost die, so got a long way to go before the Sheffield 10k in September.

Did say I wanted to get sub 1 hour by the time I turn 30, which is 3 days before the 10k (so ill class that as before).

Went to gym last night, can do slightly over 800m before needing to stop... So a long long way to go!

Also turns out today is 5 years since I decided to do my first 10k

Really annoying injury now. Almost 2 weeks ago ran my best ever 10k. Then 2 days later, ran home from work (7 miles) and all was good. Aimed to go out on Sat for 10 miles but gave up at 3. Just after half a mile my left knee felt 'funny'! It was ok then felt a bit like when you pinch either side of knee cap or elbow, almost like it was not going to lock properly? It came, went, came, went and a couple of times I sort of pulled up like a footballer when a muscle goes but then was ok after a few strides.

Anyway, general walking around was fine, went out for half a mile Tues and all ok. Ran home yesterday (10k) and after 2 miles it happened again. Carried on, sometimes felt perfectly ok, other times same as above. As soon as i stopped walking was more painful. The run wasnt bad considering, 1.01 for a 10k, a time i would have been chuffed with a month or two ago so it didnt affect me too much.

Back