Any way of getting firmware onto Nikon Z7 without an XQD card?

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
As the title says, anyone know any way of getting a firmware update onto a Z7 without an XQD card?

I was told by the shop I bought my (second hand) Z7 to buy a CF Express card rather than an XQD card as they were cheaper. However they didn't point out that I needed the XQD card to update the firmware so the camera would recognise the CF Express card! I don't really want to have to buy an expensive XQD card I don't really need just to update the firmware, but nobody locally seems to have one I could even borrow.

Frustrated, and close to sending the camera back over something seemingly daft!.

Edit My Images
No
just wait till you can afford or borrow a card
the update is not critical

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Id explain to the shop they they gave you wrong info and ask them to send you FOC a XQD card so you can do the update.
You got nothing to lose by asking and they got a profit to lose if you sent it back for a refund.

Last edited:
OP
James Blonde
Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
just wait till you can afford or borrow a card
the update is not critical
The problem is it is critical if I want to use the new and expensive 128gb CF Express card that I bought and opened with the expectation I could use it! :confused:

Have you thought of buying a second hand XQD card?
I had a quick look on eBay and the prices seem worse than new - especially when you don't know what you're getting.

Will give the shop a call tomorrow and ask them for a card, otherwise it's going back.

OP
James Blonde
Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
They should still be able to operate mail order unless they send staff home. Hopefully they will have a card already opened for demo units that they can send you with the update preloaded.

If you really get stuck try Grays Of Westminster.
Thats where I bought it....

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Or, put a plea out on here to see if anyone local to you has one that you could use.