Any way of getting firmware onto Nikon Z7 without an XQD card?

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
As the title says, anyone know any way of getting a firmware update onto a Z7 without an XQD card?

I was told by the shop I bought my (second hand) Z7 to buy a CF Express card rather than an XQD card as they were cheaper. However they didn't point out that I needed the XQD card to update the firmware so the camera would recognise the CF Express card! I don't really want to have to buy an expensive XQD card I don't really need just to update the firmware, but nobody locally seems to have one I could even borrow.

Frustrated, and close to sending the camera back over something seemingly daft!.

I doubt that's possible, try to borrow one or buy a cheapish used one and sell it on afterwards.

just wait till you can afford or borrow a card
the update is not critical

Id explain to the shop they they gave you wrong info and ask them to send you FOC a XQD card so you can do the update.
You got nothing to lose by asking and they got a profit to lose if you sent it back for a refund.

Last edited:
just wait till you can afford or borrow a card
the update is not critical
The problem is it is critical if I want to use the new and expensive 128gb CF Express card that I bought and opened with the expectation I could use it! :confused:

Have you thought of buying a second hand XQD card?
I had a quick look on eBay and the prices seem worse than new - especially when you don't know what you're getting.

Will give the shop a call tomorrow and ask them for a card, otherwise it's going back.

They should still be able to operate mail order unless they send staff home. Hopefully they will have a card already opened for demo units that they can send you with the update preloaded.

If you really get stuck try Grays Of Westminster.
Thats where I bought it....

Or, put a plea out on here to see if anyone local to you has one that you could use.

Back