Anybody clean there own camera sensor ?

Name
Darren
Edit My Images
No
Does anybody clean there own camera sensor ??
Can you recommend swabs for cleaning a cropped sensor (Nikon D7200 )..

Is the liquid something special or would a small drop isopropyl alcohol do the trick ?
Looking for information links, cause my sensor looks like a painters radio not sure when the spot have come from as i am very careful changing lenses etc.. looks like very small spots of oil ??

also checking locally to see if there is a professional service available but would like to be fit to clean it myself..

regards Shannensdaddy :cool::):)

Last edited:
I bought a kit from Amazon and did it myself, it came with the swabs and fluid. It's an easy job as long as you take your time (to be honest, the thought of doing it was worse than actually doing it, for me) I have a D7100 ;)

Done it a few times with a kit including swabs (generally option for FX or DX or other) and fluid ... with reasonable care no issues. :)

Size your swabs to your sensor (it's normal to wipe laterally). It's possible that an established make will have better quality control ie no nasty grit particles ...

I'm not qualified to judge about the isopropyl but if was my own camera I'd be prepared to use that - basically you wet the swab with the liquid to begin with. Bet that's what it is anyway, with a big mark-up?

Like most things, the first time is the hardest. Remember, you're not touching the sensor itself, but the protective glass in front of it - This is not to sy you can be heavy handed, but you don't need to be near as delicate about it as you probably imagine. I know it was daunting the first time I did it, had horrible visions of me cracking the glass by applying too much pressure, but you would have to have right gorilla hands to do this :D I would say apply about the same pressure as you would cleaning spectacles

Last edited:
I'd recommend not using industrial IPA. I have used it for many years to sterilise equipment, and some grades leave deposits. If you have an analytical grade then maybe, but not for general purpose or industrial grades.

I bought an (outrageously expensive) cleaning kit from Wex that looks roughly similar to the Amazon kit and works ok.

I am looking for wet swabs that would save me the worry of leaving residue or watermarks..

The only time I had to clean the senor of my camera was when I had the D80. I bought some eclipse fluid and a pack of pec pads and used that. Worked well for me.

its so easy , done loads over the years for friends etc .

Eclipse fluid that is popular for sensor cleaning is pure methanol.

Are you quite certain about that, because methanol is quite hazardous (very much more so than ethanol). Not saying you're wrong, but conditions for handling methanol usually involve vapour extraction and PPE.

Are you quite certain about that, because methanol is quite hazardous (very much more so than ethanol). Not saying you're wrong, but conditions for handling methanol usually involve vapour extraction and PPE.
It's also immiscible with most oils... so would be a rather poor option for shifting muck.

Do my own. Understandably a little hairy to do the first time, but dead easy thereafter.

I usually use a LensPen SensorKlear pen as it's easy and doesn't leave any residue. I've got Eclipse fluid and swabs too but moved on to the pen as there's less faff.

I have already tried a similar pen type as (LensPen SensorKlear pen) pen one end and a brush on the other end and it did not shift the spots ,they look like drops of oil?? ..Interested in the fluids that are used.. I have isopropyl alcohol and meths in the past on other optics but they leave behind residue.. I ordered a few individually vacuum packed wet swabs of evil bay but might order a suitable kit from amazon also..Thanks for the advice and information.

When I tried the lenspen it made my sensor worse.

Yes I am quite certain as I downloaded the MSDS sheet of the web. Geeky I know but as I spend a lot of my time in labs I obtained some Methanol. It is cheaper than buying the fluid.
Yes Methanol is toxic but more by ingestion than absorbing through the skin. So as long as you don't drink it it is fine.

Last edited:
Yes I am quite certain as I downloaded the MSDS sheet of the web. Geeky I know but as I spend a lot of my time in labs I obtained some Methanol. It is cheaper than buying the fluid.
Yes Methanol is toxic but more by ingestion than absorbing through the skin. So as long as you don't drink it it is fine.

drinking or inhaling methanol can lead to coma, convulsions, blindness, nervous system damage and death

https://assets.publishing.service.g.../file/561052/methanol_general_information.pdf

I've done my own pretty much since switching to digital. Eventually I got sloppy/lazy and wound up leaving a scratch; that was a $1500 repair (insurance covered it). But with proper care (clean work area, not re-using swabs, etc) it's really not a big deal... the most common issue is using too much fluid which leaves streaks behind.

I have already tried a similar pen type as (LensPen SensorKlear pen) pen one end and a brush on the other end and it did not shift the spots ,they look like drops of oil?? ..Interested in the fluids that are used.. I have isopropyl alcohol and meths in the past on other optics but they leave behind residue.. I ordered a few individually vacuum packed wet swabs of evil bay but might order a suitable kit from amazon also..Thanks for the advice and information.
True enough, for wet/oily contaminants you need a wet clean, for occasional dust spots the pen works well. As others have mentioned, the Eclipse E2 fluid works well.

I've cleaned the sensor on various cameras quite a few times. My current D600 suffers from the dreaded oil spatter from the shutter and has been cleaned three times since April. This time I couldn't get all of the spots so it is currently with Nikon to have it done properly ... I hope :) I'm sure it'll need doing again in another 1000 images or so :(

+1 for getting a kit off Amazon for your particular model, don't cost much
Done mine a few times with no drama.

I've cleaned the sensor on various cameras quite a few times. My current D600 suffers from the dreaded oil spatter from the shutter and has been cleaned three times since April. This time I couldn't get all of the spots so it is currently with Nikon to have it done properly ... I hope :) I'm sure it'll need doing again in another 1000 images or so :(

Quick question to Bristolian what sort of money are you talking to send a camera to Nikon to have it cleaned and checked out.. And what did it cost for postage both ways..Thanks..

Actually the camera came back today. It's a good news/bad news story :)

Nikon pay for the postage both ways. If you use the Nikon service web site to book the work they will send you a postage label so all you need to do is take the camera (suitably boxed up) to the post office. For return, they sent mine by DPD. So that's good news :)

Also on the good news side is that they didn't charge me anything. The invoice says they cleaned the sensor and mirror box plus replaced a couple of parts associated with the shutter and gave the camera a thorough check over. More good news :)

On the down-side the sensor is just as dirty as it was when I sent it in - some of the oil drops are even in the same place so are left over after cleaning. Pretty much cancels out the good news for me :(

I am planning on phoning them tomorrow to see what they have to say for themselves but the camera is useless in this state.

I have dug out the original paperwork with my camera and it is covered with a 3yr service contract with Hdew cameras.. It has 1 year left on the cover..I sent them a quick email and they advised me to send it to a company in AJ Johnstone ,93 Hope Street ,Glasgow for repair.. I am asking about postage as it could be expensive to send by Royal Mail Special Delivery.
I am wondering to get it cleaned locally or pay the postage to send it away as possibly it could be more of a job than just cleaning.
I was thinking it would be £25.00 to post each way with insurance.
With your experience in mind Bristolian what would you do??

Thanks..

Just to add to the Eclipse debate...

I've used it for years... I think I started cleaning my own sensors when I had my Canon 20D and if that's right I cleaned that, my 5D, Panasonic GF1, G1, GX7, G7, GX80, GX9 and Sony A7 multiple times and all without damaging anything. I don't see the need for any special precautions with Eclipse, I only use a drop at a time.

Last edited:
This is the first time I have sent mine to Nikon for cleaning (and if they get it wrong again that'll be the last time too) but I have had them do repairs before with no problem.

In the past I have cleaned sensors myself but the D600 is known for oil spots so I have used local camera shops as well. In Bristol I have used Black on White who have a 2hr sensor cleaning service and who do a bang on job - should have used them again but there were so many spots that I couldn't shift even with a wet clean I thought I'd send it to the professionals. The most I've ever paid for a clean is £40 while you wait in York - you pays yer money .............

I have dug out the original paperwork with my camera and it is covered with a 3yr service contract with Hdew cameras.. It has 1 year left on the cover..I sent them a quick email and they advised me to send it to a company in AJ Johnstone ,93 Hope Street ,Glasgow for repair.. I am asking about postage as it could be expensive to send by Royal Mail Special Delivery.
I am wondering to get it cleaned locally or pay the postage to send it away as possibly it could be more of a job than just cleaning.
I was thinking it would be £25.00 to post each way with insurance.
With your experience in mind Bristolian what would you do??

Thanks..
I recently had to send my 5Diii up to Johnstones, it cost me £11 to post it. I asked the nice lady in the post office on the tuesday for options, told her it needed to be insured for more than the standard £50, she said that option covered up to £2.5k and got it there for Thursday morning.

Thanks for the update Graeme, not bad £11.00 for £2.5k worth of gear..what way does it work them for the return postage cost from Johnstones for the return journey..

Thanks for the update Graeme, not bad £11.00 for £2.5k worth of gear..what way does it work them for the return postage cost from Johnstones for the return journey..
Mine was via portus, I had to pay to send it up to them but they paid for the return

Back