Anyone else in FP4party?

I don't like HP5+ in 35mm as it's too grainy, but it's OK in 120. FP4+ is my most used film (read - there's a lot of it in my fridge!), but Acros is the one I will miss when it runs out. I've tried Tri-X with HC110, but I don't get anything like the quality that Simon Ess gets from that combo. I've previously tried Delta 100 and 400, but went back to FP4+. I got a couple of rolls of Delta 100 and Fomapan 400 when I was in Ffordes last week, so they'll be getting trialed at some point and I guess I'm looking for Delta 100 to be an Acros replacement.

I pretty much agree with everything you wrote, Peter. I'm also VERY disappointed with Tri-X in HC 110; like you I'm getting nowhere near the results that @simon ess does, nor the results I used to get with Ilfosol 3.

Good idea to check out Delta 100 as a substitute for Acros when my last rolls of that have expired (I only have it in 135... but that's 99% of what I shoot, anyway). IIRC @steveo_mcg reported pretty reasonable reciprocity characteristics, though not as good as Acros, obviously. I've tried Delta 100 a couple of times before; once was an expired roll that @srichards gave me, and I absolutely loved the results, but next time with a fresh roll it was just meh. Probably the light but it really prejudiced me against the Delta films.

Well done Chris :) (y)

I do really like FP4, but I don't like HP5. I've really started enjoying Tri-X now though so I think my B&W films of choice are FP4 and Tri-X. Never had the chance to use Acros and I don't think I ever will now!

Well done Chris :) (y)

I do really like FP4, but I don't like HP5. I've really started enjoying Tri-X now though so I think my B&W films of choice are FP4 and Tri-X. Never had the chance to use Acros and I don't think I ever will now!

Great choice of films, Carl. I've a few rolls of Acros, so if you want to buy a roll for, say, £15 I'll bring some to the next meet! ;) (Just kidding...) Seriously, just checked on fleabay, and although I did find one roll for sale at £18, most seemed to be offered in bundles at between £5.50 and £8 per roll (135 or 120). Sheet 4x5 is another matter; I was only able to see one lot of expired Acros for sale from Japan, £78 posted, plus VAT, duty and extortion charge of course!

So, I've decided to pull my finger out and have a go at this. Am I right in thinking that I shouldn't post my images to Twitter until next week?

Yes, this is dev week. Post your images starting on Monday, with the hashtag #FP4Party .

I'm away at the moment; the film is finished but I don't know when I'll have a chance to process it. I'd rather not post it off!

I got my download from Filmdev late Monday morning... it normally takes me quite a few days before I like any of my shots, but I did manage to find one for Monday and one yesterday. What are you on twitter @FishyFish ? I'm @carusb .

Right, FP4Party is back! The general approach is:

a) Shoot Week is March 2-8. Feel free to post digital images of your camera taking the shot on twitter with hash tag #fp4party. I've never bothered posting such shots...

b) Dev Week is March 9-15

c) Post Week is March 16-22. Generally works best to post a few on twitter each day, with hash tag #fp4party. There's a voting scheme as well, can't quite remember how that works!

I've found it quite fun each time I've tried. Anyone else going to give it a try?

a) Shoot Week is March 2-8. Feel free to post digital images of your camera taking the shot on twitter with hash tag #fp4party. I've never bothered posting such shots...

c) Post Week is March 16-22. Generally works best to post a few on twitter each day, with hash tag #fp4party. There's a voting scheme as well, can't quite remember how that works!

I've found it quite fun each time I've tried. Anyone else going to give it a try?
There's a bunch of FP4+ rolls in my fridge - sounds like a good use for one of them! Is it just Twitter or is it on Instagram as well? I may have to regain access to my Twitter account...

Last edited:

I always have the best intentions of taking part, I shall try once more.

There's a bunch of FP4+ rolls in my fridge - sounds like a good just for one of them! Is it just Twitter or is it on Instagram as well? I may have to regain access to my Twitter account...
I don't really know about Instagram, but I suspect it's just Twitter...

I always have the best intentions of taking part, I shall try once more.
Well at least this year I mentioned it BEFORE shoot week started! ;)

Actually I've got a bit of a problem as I've just recently loaded a roll of Tri-X, so I have to finish that first...

Quick reminder, #FP4Party Shoot Week starts tomorrow, 2nd March. I have now got a roll of Fp4+ loaded in 135, and also bought a couple of rolls in 120. Will have to finish the Fomapan 100 in the Autocord before using it, though!

I managed a few frames yesterday. Waited for ages beside a bit of ivy draped over a stone wall that I thought would look nice if the sun would just come out from behind that cloud... wait for it... sun comes out, wind on... why wouldn't it wind on, darn it? Quick check, frame 24 of a 24-shot film I had thought was a 36-shot! Luckily another roll in my pocket, but scrabbling to change the film with no horizontal surfaces around and suddenly too-bright sun was not fun. Luckily I managed it, got one with the sun a bit too bright and (I hope) one as it faded behind the cloud, but we'll see...

The roll now in the MX is my last 135 FP4+, but I did get 2 rolls of 120. The trouble is, I have to finish off a roll of Fomapan 100 in the Autocord to use it, unless I load a roll into the Ikonta. with the dreaded wind-on and red window...

Got a load of film holders loaded with fp4 and a pass for Saturday morning, hopefully get a couple of shots for the FPOTY too.

I discovered a box of 4x5 FP4 in a drawer that has "1 shot left" written on it in what might possibly be my writing. I've never shot 4x5 FP4 AFAIK, so I'm confused. Saturday's looking pretty taken up, so it might not get used... even if there's actually anything in it!

Still have two 120-FP4 expired in 1990 and 35mm roll in a Watson loader also about 1990.....wish I could get the enthusiasm for using B\W, like you guys, to join the party. :(

Tried my first roll of FP4 today, I'll reserve judgement to after I shoot it in a better camera than the Minolta Hi-Matic F :D Results from the first roll seem nice but dodge camera so :sneaky:

I've shot a roll through my Holga. To be honest I wasn't expecting much from the roll, as the first half roll was a little half-hearted, and the remaining shots felt like I was just using up the film around the house so I could get it processed in time. So I was surprised when a few of the "using up the roll" shots have turned out to be photos I really like! :)

The roll now in the MX is my last 135 FP4+, but I did get 2 rolls of 120. The trouble is, I have to finish off a roll of Fomapan 100 in the Autocord to use it, unless I load a roll into the Ikonta. with the dreaded wind-on and red window...

So I did load a roll of 120 in the Ikonta, and after re-reading the manual, I must say I quite enjoyed using it. The red window didn't give me any trouble this time, and the multi-exposure interlock only malfunctioned on the first shot (you can still fire the shutter at the lens). Yet to see the results as AG for once didn't manage to turn their dev around on the same day!

The next day I decided to take the Autocord out and finish off the roll of Fomapan 100. To be honest, I liked the experience a lot less than shooting the Ikonta! In particular, adjusting the shutter speeds and aperture on the Autocord was really stiff, plus there's the whole left/right thing of a WLF that I've never quite got the hang of. I was suprised!

Dev of the only roll I shot last week completed, and as soon as I pulled the negs out of the reel, I realised I'd made a mistake...

It's quite bright where I live, and I take the vast majority of my photos outside. So seeing as you use slow film in those conditions, I thought I'd rate the film at 80.

Dev was in Ilfotec HC 1:31 for 6:30 at 21°. Which had given me some extremely dense negatives [emoji15]

I shall see what I can rescue when scanning, and next time will rate the film at 200 but leave all other areas the same. I shot the roll through a 70+ year old Certo Six which desire being CLAd this year, I suspect is running a little long on the (stepless) shutter speeds. Learning has taken place!

Last edited:
I have received my pictures from aldeburgh, very slim pickings for me i have one shot i will use i think.

I got my scans back from AG this morning. I'd sent 5 films off: 3*135 and 2*120. I've just scanned two of the 135 films, to remember that one was 24 shot (partly shot before the official start), and the other was Tri-X, shot immediately before the first FP4! So that leaves one full roll of 135 FP4 and one of 120 FP4 to scan, plus the 120 Fomapan. I can immediately see from the latter (shot on the Autocord) that I have two blank frames, for no obvious reason.

I have two 4x5 shots to scan but not had time this week. Try and do them tomorrow before the battle royal that is bed time.

Moored Boats at Sizewell for #FP4party

wVr9O5Q.jpg

Nige and Adrian, you don't have to just submit 3, you can submit 2 or 3 every day for the week, that gives your shots a better chance of getting shortlisted. But I'd better get back to making some sort of selection!

Nige and Adrian, you don't have to just submit 3, you can submit 2 or 3 every day for the week, that gives your shots a better chance of getting shortlisted. But I'd better get back to making some sort of selection!

Hi Chris Thanks for the update much appreciated.

These were my first two on day 1:

1) Scary bunnies

2003APMXBW17.jpg

2) Row of cottages

2003APMXBW23.jpg

Both Pentax MX and (I think) Vivitar 28/2.8 lens (one of the Komine ones), Negastar courtesy of AG...

Back