Anyone else use 500px?

I wanted a new way of hosting a website/portfolio for myself (not for business purposes, it's purely a hobby of mine) and stumbled across this site.. And I wish I'd found it sooner! I've stumped up the $50/year (it's not really much, is it?) and the quality of photos on the site is consistently excellent, I've found, and it's a great way of hosting and cataloguing images.

http://500px.com/hcanning

:)

that is interesting.

stunning photos on that site, stunning.

Did anyone else get these emails yesterday?

First one:
Dear friends,

First of all, let me say a huge thanks to all of you — without you none of this would have been possible. This year 500px has seen tremendous growth and development, and although the ride was bumpy at times, our dedicated team members always stood behind the platform, solved the most challenging problems and did their best to offer our users the best experience possible.

There are many exciting things planned, you will see them live on the site in the nearest future.

One of the most requested changes is coming very soon — we are completely redesigning and redeveloping the photo store experience on 500px. The current 500px photo stores, provided by our partner Fotomoto, are not ideal. Its platform, although powerful and feature rich, does not quite satisfy our high demands for quality of the user experience. So, we will not extend our contact with Fotomoto, and they will end supporting stores on 500px on September 27, 2011.

We are working hard to make the transition as seamless and transparent as possible. Most of the features you are used to will be preserved in the new 500px stores. And the look and feel will be completely new and improved.

As always — great user experience is our top priority, this will never change. If you would like further information on our roadmap and future development, follow us on Twitter: BANNED/500px

Oleg Gutsol,
President and Technical Director, 500px
----- ------ ------
Shortly followed by:
Dear Fotomoto / 500px members,

As you may already know, Fotomoto is going to stop providing service to 500px platform at the end of today. Unfortunately 500px didn't meet their business and technical commitments. After several unsuccessful attempts and unanswered emails to solve their issues, we had to send them a notice last week informing them that we are terminating our contract with 500px (which is a slightly different from what they mentioned in their email).

If you have sold any photo(s) using Fotomoto, your Fotomoto balance is available to you at your Fotomoto dashboard. And of course, Fotomoto will still be available on your other websites and platforms.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. As always, we are committed to our members and to our product experience. In the next few weeks you will start seeing more print products and more features from Fotomoto, stay tuned.

Best regards
Ahmad Kiarostami
Co-founder and CEO
----------------------------------
Not sure what these mean for the future of 500px :shrug:

I have to side with Fotomoto on this one, it's now the 2nd less than glowing report of the 500px dev team I've seen.

http://regex.info/blog/2011-09-20/1852

I also think for a company that should be making pains to ensure they are getting as close to 100% uptime as possible they are down a hell of a lot. I am trying to think when Flickr was last down for example. I'd be ashamed of the down time stats if I was the developer. A bug is one thing but killing the whole system is not acceptable and indicates a lack of due care.

Last edited:
It's a bit of a concern really. If their downtime is too high then they'll be knackered.

Is there an alternative to 500px?!

Yup I heard about this from a friend at the weekend. The standard of photography is extremely high. Looks like a great site where you can get some constructive feedback rather than theh usual Flickr: "great capture", "nice", "fantastic colours" ;)

Stupid question but what about iphone? Is there an app for that?

DropDead said:
Stupid question but what about iphone? Is there an app for that?

There is, but it's more of an RSS reader really and it's a bit pants

Does anyone else find that when you click on an image it takes you to the file instead of the viewer like it used to? And that you get a blank page when you vote on something (but the vote still registers)?

I told them about it three weeks ago and was told the team would get right on it but it's still happening.

Back