Anyone grow their own chillis?

Would love to able to do something like this one day, unfortunately my complete lack of garden means I currently cannot! One day... one day:angelic:

Window sill.

Yep as Nod says if you have a sunny window sill alot of the milder chillies will do very well indoors.You will struggle with superhots though as they need quite high humidity and high temps.

Big Jims :)

Nice to have something to complement the hot stuff this year.

Some go red and some stay green.

Mine seem to best at about 10" - any bigger and the skins go tough.

I'd recommend them - Very mild - a great alternative to traditional peppers whether in a salad or chopped into chilli con carne or a Bolognese sauce.

All I would say (probably due to their size) is they need more water or at least more regular / stable watering - more like growing cucumbers or toms than chilli peppers or peppers.

Big Jim chilli by dinners85

Neil have you pinched the tops out,they look very leggy and this would help the plant bush out more.

Neil have you pinched the tops out,they look very leggy and this would help the plant bush out more.

The two on the left have been pinched out a few times, I left the other two alone as part of an experiment to see which worked best. I found that although the pinched out two are slightly smaller it made no difference to the amount of fruit i've had off them. I gave a few plants to my daughter who did the same, with the same results. I will be growing the same type next year so don't really know whether to nip out or not., what da ya reckon?

Last week when I was in Italy I was at my cousins for dinner and he had some chilies growing in his garden, a 'Mexican dragon' and a 'Trinidad scorpion' I like to live dangerously so I had some of the scorpion chili sprinkled on my pasta.

2 hours later and my mouth was still on fire lol

Last week when I was in Italy I was at my cousins for dinner and he had some chilies growing in his garden, a 'Mexican dragon' and a 'Trinidad scorpion' I like to live dangerously so I had some of the scorpion chili sprinkled on my pasta.

2 hours later and my mouth was still on fire lol
lol should try eating a whole raw one..

Think I'll pass mate lol

I would mate..reckon you would see a difference. I only use chilli focus once a week and water just as plants are wilting probably twice a week at the mo

Phil, are you growing commercially or do you just sprinkle chillies on every meal?

I feel extremely stupid for asking this, however... Can anyone tell me what to do with the chilli plants once the season is over. Do I let it die off and revive it next year, keep watering, bring it inside or bin it? I have 2 in my greenhouse.

I feel extremely stupid for asking this, however... Can anyone tell me what to do with the chilli plants once the season is over. Do I let it die off and revive it next year, keep watering, bring it inside or bin it? I have 2 in my greenhouse.
Julie if they are the milder variety just bin them and go again next year with new plants.Its really only worth over wintering the superhots as they take alot longer to mature so the headstart is beneficial.
(and not a silly question at all)

I have a scotch bonnet and a bog standard chilli so i'll bin the standard one. I feel i'm bad at throwing things out by not knowing what to do with them.

How bigs the scotch bonnet?..Mine are like triffids and may well over winter one of them as they have so many fruit on..none are ripe yet.All my other mild plants will be binned

Not ripe yet but i'm hopeful. I've been feeding it the worm juice from my wormery composter.

No mine are not ripe either but have loads of them..will get some pics up over next day or so..

Phil, are you growing commercially or do you just sprinkle chillies on every meal?

I don't actually eat that many.

Karen (my wife) makes a lot of chilli jam, chilli chutney etc and I give jars of chiilis in oil away.

I tend to grow mine to basically save a few quid! A pack of seeds will give loads of fruits and will cost a few pence per plant (maybe a quid over the growing season including compost and food) giving several quid's worth of spice. Similarly the toms (and the seeds for this year's were given away free with the fruit outside them!) and cucumbers, although the toms in particular taste so much better! The toms are pretty ugly but have real flavour, unlike most of the F1 varieties which look far better than they taste.

Chilli chutney sounds interesting. I've been scanning through recipes, just need to pick one.

Few of mine are ripening up well..heres some I picked last night.They are sweet banana(very mild)..Cheyenne(nice kick to them) and the red ones are supposed to be jalapenos but not sure they are as they are quite thin and bloody hot!! Some of my superhot brainstrains are ripening but all the others are still green for now.

Thanks to Martin on here I managed to pick this Greenhouse up for just £20!!Yep thats not a typo,it was in the b and q clearence sale. Bargain of the year!
Loads of the superhots are ripening up and tried a few so far.

Yeah not bad considering they were £300,got another one but only the frame for a fiver!! lol

This is the one I paid a fiver for!!

I can get the glass for under £100 so still a bargain buy.Also got a complete set of replacement polycarbonate panels for the other one for a tenner so a grand total of £35 for the lot.

7 pot brain strains are ripening up nicely!

also just found out that my supposedly scotch bonnets are bloody friars hat instead!!

Can I just say that these all look so great!!
I can only imagine how much better they taste compared to commercial.

The taste is brief with the superhots then it's just all out burn lol

I allow a plant three years and then I bin it. Bonnets are doing 4-6 years.

Can I just say that these all look so great!!
I can only imagine how much better they taste compared to commercial.

Very little difference in taste between home and commercially grown TBH. The reason I grow my own (relatively mild) ones is purely satisfaction derived from growing food from seed. Will try to remember to save a pod's worth of seeds from this year's chillis to plant up in spring, although that usually ends up a lottery as far as strength goes since the next generation won't be F1 hybrids.

Ate this lastnight a nice big white 7 pot!..I would say it was hotter than the brain strain I tried the other week!Mouth was on fire lol

Lots of stuff coming on well now.Have added a fan heater for the cold nights.Heres a quick vid apologies for the bad quality.

everything has suddenly just started ripening off like mad. just in time for the slugs to make a final assault before the weather starts closing in.

got a reasonable amount harvested though.

i guess once everything is picked its onto overwintering as the over night temps have dropped drastically.

I have a fan heater in there for the cold evenings..but will bring the best plants indoors to over winter once season is over

Back