Anyone grow their own chillis?

Not updated for a while..
Yesterday I cleaned out my self watering pot reservoirs, some had got some nice thick green gunk growing in them. I've had a bit of yellow leaves and flower drop (lost a fruit the other today too) so I figured it was time to act. I think it's why I only have 2-3 fruit per plant forming.
Deployed some black bin bags over the white lids.
oh and been battling SLUGS :bat:

Copper tape deployed
Chillis July 2014 by neilgates, on Flickr
1 of 2 Choc Bhuts
HUGE romanos (one plant has several new fruits, they're really going for it)
One days worth of losses
Despite this the Aji's continue to form loads of flowers still and those chillis that have fruited are going well:
Chillis/Peppers/Flowers - 03/07/14 by neilgates, on Flickr
Chillis/Peppers/Flowers - 03/07/14 by neilgates, on Flickr

Hello sir,
Was wondering what sort of growhouse you're using. My little fold away one is struggling and I need something a bit bigger and that looks ideal.

I'll be checking the local branch on Thursday, when we'll be in town again but in the car not on the bike! Much as I enjoy the shade and smell the toms and other plants give in the conservatory here, having them somewhere where I'm not worried about overflowing the water saucers would be good!

I picked up one of these in addition to my walk in one as running short on room.It can fit for decent sized plants on each side,two on the shelf and two underneath and also space for 2-3 on the floor.Nice little greenhouse and only £27 from argos.The walk in one like Neils was from wyevale garden center and was about £40 on offer.They are good but be carefull with the zips had 3 replacement covers so far!!

I'm whipping up nice chimichurri sauce to have with Steak tonight.

Scotch bonnet plant has expolded with flowers and pods!...Dozens of them.The 7 pot brain strain has started developing lots of pods also.Most have lots of flowers on as well now.Been polinating a few myself as had some flower drop but all seem fine now.The slug x trap and copper tape is working a treat so no more munched leaves or chillies!! Tried one of my cheyennes other day that was just ripening and it was lovely and surprisingly hot..

Little Scotch bonnet

and green bell pepper

Nice one Phil..quick vid u[pdate of mine forgive the poor video still experimenting with the canon and its touchscreen lol..

Got around to doing something with the first of our chillis last night. Chopped it very finely (1mm cubes) and fried it up with a couple of coarsely chopped onions and about 1/2 a pint of passatta. Dabbed my tongue on a chilli juicy finger and there was a little burn but plenty of flavour too - my kind of chilli! Pizza topping went down well and no ring sting this morning!
2 more fruits almost ripe now and plenty more on the way. Not had to resort to giving them a helping hand with fertilisation. Letting the plant get quite leggy rather than keeping it neat - it's got plenty of room to spread its wings so I'm letting it be ornamental as well as productive!

I've totally underestimated how much room I need for my chilli plants. I've got about 30 just past the seedling stage. All I have is one of these 4 shelf temporary grow houses...

I've moved a couple into the house and am taking some to work tomorrow to have around my desk, but I fear I may have mugged myself.

I've totally underestimated how much room I need for my chilli plants. I've got about 30 just past the seedling stage. All I have is one of these 4 shelf temporary grow houses...

I've moved a couple into the house and am taking some to work tomorrow to have around my desk, but I fear I may have mugged myself.
lol...easy done I only have 20 odd and running out of room with a 2 walk in greenhouses ..They get quite large!.Depending on what type you are growing if they are just past seedling stage you may struggle to get anything from them this year as its a bit late now for plants that size.

Most of them are about 6-8 inches tall at the moment. They really went through a growth spurt when i started to use tomato food on them and the cucumber plants I've got. I read that it's recommended to pinch out the fourth set of leaves in order to get them to bush out a little and also to spray lightly with water to encourage fruit. Hoping to get some crops this year, but if not at least they'll be in good shape for next season.

They are quite lovely plants. I'm hoping they flourish indoors.

Most of them are about 6-8 inches tall at the moment. They really went through a growth spurt when i started to use tomato food on them and the cucumber plants I've got. I read that it's recommended to pinch out the fourth set of leaves in order to get them to bush out a little and also to spray lightly with water to encourage fruit. Hoping to get some crops this year, but if not at least they'll be in good shape for next season.

They are quite lovely plants. I'm hoping they flourish indoors.
I used to use tomorite but switched to chilli focus and they seem to love the stuff...D Depending what chillies they are you may not get much this year.Mine were about that size back in early may so could be a little late.I dont pinch any of mine out and they have done really well but do know some that do it.Maybe worth it on some of the leggy plants.

Neil I am forever changing my greenhouses around although womt be moving the scotch bonnets as they have grown up and through the shelving lol,they are huge!!

Had to rejig the greenhouse yesterday, everything was hitting the ceiling.

Greenhouse 20/07/14 by neilgates, on Flickr

slugs seem to have nobbed off (touch wood) but one of my Bulgarian Carrots had a slight caterpillar infestation this weekend. Got a few aphids floating around too but also spotted a lacewing and ladybug or two.

This looks awesome.

Are you going to leave the ladybugs? They are natural predators of greenfly aye?

1 picked (and eaten), 3 fully red and one on the turn. About a dozen (probably more) well on the way to full size and plenty yet to come. In the conservatory so generally kept at a comfortable temperature for humans (and a cat!).

can you measure temp and humidity..mine are at 85-100 most days and I try and keep humidity up at about 50-60% during day.

Our conservatory is usually mid 20s C during the day and drops to high teens at night. Humidity is fairly steady at about 50%. My plant is a bit leggy but I put tha down (to some extent) to planting the seed in a potting compost rather than a seed one so the seedling went a bit racy! Probably didn't help that it got potted up and on in John Innes #3. I suppose I should really pinch the tips out but I don't really want to unless it needs to be done. Wish the toms would hurry up and turn!

Thats probably ok for the non superhots..jalepenos,apache and milder variety annums will do fine like that but real hot ones that take longer to grow and longer to ripen require more precise temps and humidity.

this year didn't happen - however just odrerd a few seeds for 2015... something about 2m scovilles??? ;-)

lynton if your after decent sized plants next season contact steve from chilliesontheweb.co.uk..top guy with wealth of knowledge and so helpful

As I have said happy to post out few superhot pods for cost of postage for people to try if i get plenty

Bloomin ants everywhere in my greenhouse right now. Cure one bug and another pops up :evil:

Anyway fruit ahoy..

Ajis, loads unripe. Spotted one with a yellow tip earlier..
Chillis 31/07/14 by -neilgates-

Bulgarian carrot from the late batch..

Got a couple of ring of fire from the late batch..

Gororong has popped out 3 fruit total so far..

Choc bhut, again quite a low number of fruit..

Hungarian hot wax from the late batch..

Romano #1 slowly turning red and looking less like parsnips..

Romano #2 more dark green tasties..

Cont..

Few quick snaps..

cheyenne ripening up

scotch bonnets growing like weeds!

brain strain

red moruga scorpion

7 pot white

Peach fatalii

Lots of others have pods such as scorpion butch t and the ghost chilli..

At last..have a few bhut jolokia pods! (ghost chilli) These were the first I started with and had loads of flowers but they kept dropping off.Made a few changes and now getting a few pods taking shape.

scorpion butch t's coming on well also

...and couple more 7 pot whites appeared!

The original 'plant that won't die' after the spider plant. Lots of good advice here and I will only add this snippet, at the end of the growing season lets the chillis dry out on the plant for maximum strength and dump the plant after 4 years.

Back