anyone heard of Portus Digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Googled them before I ordered as I was a Doubting Thomas who hates to be made a mug of! I did not want to part with my hard earned money if it was a scam.

I really hope they are a genuine organisation but there is little to be found about them and that's why I went looking.

I will know tomorrow when they e-mail a tracking number for their dispatch.

Just to let you know that my new Canon 7D arrived along with spare battery, lens and battery pack in perfect New condition. I am however waiting for my 64gb compact flash card as they sent an SD card in error. I would be happy to speak with anyone who had concerns like me and will forward my e-mail address on request.

Hi Guys, Just registered and yep you guessed it the first post is about Portus but not because i bought anything from them.
We just had a pro photographer visit our office to photograph a tasting event.

I saw he had a load of nice kit as you would expect. The 85mm F1.2 weighed almost as much as my 24-70L!

Anyway he told me he had a 5d Mk.III body and grip on order from Portus. I have his business card. I will call him in a few days and update the thread on his findings, when his kit arrives.

course you did :shake: did he fly in on a winged porcine perchance ?

Last edited:
Hi Guys, Just registered and yep you guessed it the first post is about Portus but not because i bought anything from them.

I saw he had a load of nice kit as you would expect. The 85mm F1.2 weighed almost as much as my 24-70L!

Anyway he told me he had a 5d Mk.III body and grip on order from Portus. I have his business card. I will call him in a few days and update the thread on his findings, when his kit arrives.

Wow, a real pro photographer?

What would he be doing ordering from a VAT evading Hong Kong smuggler when he could buy locally and just claim the VAT back?

That really makes sense :bonk:.

You just happened to have a 'pro' visiting.

He just happened to mention Portus Digital.

You just happened to know about this thread.

Just amazing!

I am not vouching for Portus i only heard of them today because the photographer mentioned them and i only found this forum because i Googled Portus.

I bought all my lens from Adorama, and like you guys i do not fancy upsetting the HMRC but when it's £1800 for a 5d Mk3 and grip.
I was just gutted because i paid £2650 in bloody John Lewis for the 5d Mk.III body.
In summary buy where you like, i'm neither for or against Portus.

I bought all my lens from Adorama, and like you guys i do not fancy upsetting the HMRC but when it's £1800 for a 5d Mk3 and grip.

That's confusing, unless of course you are posting from the USA. Buying from Adorama would also result in tax or duty on an import, just the same as buying from a HK retailer.

Personally if I was a working full time pro (which i'm not) - who can reclaim the Vat and set the ex vat cost against pre tax income - i'd rather buy from a reputable uk dealer , - you can do better than £2650 in the UK Park camera's for example have it for £2335.

(£2335 minus the Vat equals £1,945.83 - personally I'd rather pay the extra £145 for a reputable uk buy with a proper warranty and no awkward questions from Mr taxman)

If I had decided to go the grey route , I wouldn't be bragging about it to all and sundry, especially clients that I didn't know from adam

Last edited:
Come on guys, time to stop scaring the new members away now.
The whole import thing is a bit of a contentious subject as we all know and yes, there have been some dubious posts by members signing up just to post in these threads and never being heard from again . . . but if you're concerned about a post in here RTM it and let staff take a look.

The alternative doesn't make us look particularly friendly to the outside world, and from time to time there may actually be a genuine new member who's put off from posting again by these threads.

Fair point Sarah - though personally I'd be amazed if any genuine member decided that their first ever post should be " XYZ grey retailer , they're GRRrrrreat"

but yeah okay, nuff said

Fair point Sarah - though personally I'd be amazed if any genuine member decided that their first ever post should be " XYZ grey retailer , they're GRRrrrreat"

but yeah okay, nuff said

I never said they were great though.

I used to travel to NY a lot so i bought lenses whilst i was there.

Hello guys i just registered here to say they are a trust worthy company as i just had my 5DIII delivered within 5 days as they promised (price £1,829).
But i don't expect you to believe me as i only registered to give GOOD feed back + its my first post ;)

Right, I'm off to bed soon and I can only see this deteriorating tonight.
TBH I'm not sure whether the thread has served its purpose or not and I'm far too tired to read through it all right now.

I'm closing it at least temporarily until we have a chance to clean it up and either re-open it or decide that it should stay closed.

Good night all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back