Anyone know a guy who dropped his D850 camera up North?

Name
jason
Edit My Images
Yes
I was at a location called Saltwick Bay on Saturday morning and there was a guy there who had come up from London area to do a workshop with a local photographer.
He had slept in his car and got up early to shoot this shipwreck.
Weather was gusty to say the least.
Whilst reaching into his camera bag, the wind toppled his Gitzo tripod, topped with a fairly new Nikon D850 and lens, and the whole thing just smashed to pieces off the slate bed.
Felt really sorry for the guy.
I don't think he is on here as I mentioned the forums to him on a couple of occasions. Hope he gets it sorted with his insurance as im guessing there was about 5k worth of damage.
DSC_2643-2-ds by jason greenwood, on Flickr

I don't understand the post? Are you after finding him ??

The moral of the story is make sure you are insured.

I can sympathise. From experience if he's fully insured and has receipts the insurers will probably just replace his equipment like for like. If they'll do that great, otherwise he might actually find repairs are far cheaper than expected.

My guess is the OP is backing up someone's insurance claim,
without saying so.
These accidents do happen, why is it suspicious to you? I had a similar incident just up the road from here, turned my back and down the camera went, I was mortified. When I did claim some years later for another accident I was surprised how little the insurers wanted to know, and more surprised they pretty much offered new kit straight away. If your story is honest I guess there should be no reason for other witness accounts.

WTH kind of environment are you guys shooting in? I have never experienced nor witnessed a tripod be blown over by wind; and I've been out in some crap...

I've had my tripod blown over several times, even with legs spread fairly wide and with spikes embedded in the earth. It can easily happen, especially at the coast or on a mountain.

Poor guy - you have got to feel sorry for him - and he wasted all that time, effort and money to get there - with probably not a pic to show for it! It's a heart-stopping moment when you drop your camera and/or lens until you check it is still working. We've all done it at some point so I hope his insurance covers him.

WTH kind of environment are you guys shooting in? I have never experienced nor witnessed a tripod be blown over by wind; and I've been out in some crap...
Easily done at the sea. Until fully set-up and weighted down, got to be careful. I lens hood really catchesx sometimes.

It happened to a friend of mine while we were out shooting the milky way, it wasn't even that windy, just a gentle breeze, smashed her lens and battery grip. (I was able to repair the grip) it was a light-ish tripod but not a very light one. I'm guessing the wind just caught it at the right angle.

I've had tripods slip before... not planted well, leg not tightened securely, set off-balance, etc. I've had a head flop and pull a tripod over with heavy kit on it. And I've certainly knocked them over more than once. But I see all of that as user error...
I've also seen questionable tripods... legs don't spread very wide, light, extend like an antenna, etc. I guess I can see things like that contributing to actually blowing over. But I haven't been to the sea in many years.

I had a tripod chase me once, flippin war of the worlds movie......red stuff all over, nightmare.

Ive also had a tripod blow over just after taking 5ks worth of video camera off it...

Poor guy I’ve had this happen he must be gutted I know I was :(

Back