Anyone Running MSN on a MAC?

Edit My Images
Yes
Cant get the bloody thing to work! will not connect, says I'm possibly not conected to the net!
Just when I thought I was well rid of Micro$oft!!!!
TIA

Mine works fine. I have version 6.0.3 if that helps. I;ve just moved from pc to mac and all my old contacts etc are there. Only thing missing seems to be the ability to use video/web cam.

I'm not running MSN on a Mac but am having problems with it. I contacted MSN this was their reply.

In reply to your concern, Diane , I would like to inform you that our Investigative team is already aware of this matter and is still working hard to take care of these issues as soon as possible.

We do realize that this may not be the answer that you expected and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this issue may be causing you. Diane, you can rest reassured that all efforts are being made to resolve these inconveniences as soon as possible.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Adium? never heard of it???
Is it a stand alone app or is it like jabba??

Ok, found it, downloaded it MSN still will not connect to server!!! It must be me???
Any Ideas where to look first??
I'm on a wireless network - no firewall...

If you can access the internet, but MSN doesn't work, I can only envisage that the specific ports it uses (TCP ports 1863 and 443, I believe) are blocked by either a software firewall on your computer or a firewall on your router.

Try hooking up to a public wifi spot and see if it works there. If so, it may be your router

BTW, connecting to the internet without a firewall is a bit dangerous

BTW, connecting to the internet without a firewall is a bit dangerous

Even on a Mac?
I was led to beleive that you didnt need firewalls or AV software???

Cheers for the advice, I will check my router..
How do I find a Public Wifi Spot???

Scoff, did you read this?

I'm not running MSN on a Mac but am having problems with it. I contacted MSN this was their reply.

We'll just have to wait and see.

if there is a problem with a batch of accounts then nothing you can do will resolve it.

Even on a Mac?
I was led to beleive that you didnt need firewalls or AV software???

Yes - you've succumbed to Apple's advertising. Just because there aren't any widely-circulating mac viruses doesn't mean that you can be blasé about security. I personally don't have any AV software installed, but some do, mainly to prevent passing on any windows viruses to their friends through e-mail.

A firewall is always a sensible idea. I believe that it's on by default in OSX, and that you can't actually turn it off (not on my mac, so can't check). You can open and close ports though. It's mainly concerned with inbound traffic. I use a great little program called Little Snitch to monitor outgoing connections.

Cheers for the advice, I will check my router..
How do I find a Public Wifi Spot???
Depends where you live - they're all over the shop in London and more of them are free now. Your local Starbucks/Nero probably has one (although you'll have to pay to use it), else maybe your local library for a free one?

(Or you could scan your neighbours' networks... :nono:)

Yeh, so I signed up with a new account, and still the same result! :(
The same account is fine on my PC though!

Yes - you've succumbed to Apple's advertising. Just because there aren't any widely-circulating mac viruses doesn't mean that you can be blasé about security. I personally don't have any AV software installed, but some do, mainly to prevent passing on any windows viruses to their friends through e-mail.

A firewall is always a sensible idea. I believe that it's on by default in OSX, and that you can't actually turn it off (not on my mac, so can't check). You can open and close ports though. It's mainly concerned with inbound traffic. I use a great little program called Little Snitch to monitor outgoing connections.

Depends where you live - they're all over the shop in London and more of them are free now. Your local Starbucks/Nero probably has one (although you'll have to pay to use it), else maybe your local library for a free one?

(Or you could scan your neighbours' networks... :nono:)

Cheers,
I've scanned my neighbours already! :) all but 1 is on wep... :) but the 1 is very weak!
How do I check my ports?

This is turning into a nice learning lesson!!!
I've found my firewall... was off Added MSN to it, still didnt work (well doh!) Switched it on, made no difference....
Really appreciate the help so far... any more Ideas?

With Adium (as i assume you're not crazy enough to use the rubbish MSN Messenger app on OS X) what's the error you get?

You could try going to:
Preferences > Accounts > (double click on your account) > Options > Select 'connect via http'

Scoff - I would recommend "Little Snich" as well, very good program.

I also run a dedicated Hardware firewall, and have a dedicated hardware firewall wireless system in as well. these are worth their money.

Just out of interest you don't have Safari 3 installed do you ?.

If so that is probably your problem, there has been a lot of talk Safari 3 interfears with MSN and stops it working correctly.

Guys... We have connection!!! Matt spot on, changed to http and it connected stright away.
Mho, will look at firewall, cheers for the info.
Adwright, thanks for persisting with me! :)

Many thanks guys.. just need to add all my contacts and I'm done!! :)

My transition to the dark side is almost complete!!! :)

TBH I think I'll do a write up!!!
Once you get used to navigtion and using some different programmes, or the same programmes which hve been adapted for the Mac like MS office, its is cool.
I think the thing I really like is that you just drag and drop everything to open things... so If I want to see Exif details for a picture, I cant get opanda, but I can drag the image from a website to iPhoto and get the data that way...
Lots of other things like that!
The speed is also good, bot up and shutdown is fast, as is data process and photo manipulation...
So overall now I have all the programmes I need and have got used to the ones on the mac (in part) I'm impressed and happy! :)

TBH I think I'll do a write up!!!

That would be cool, and an interesting perspective going from a PC to a Mac, not that i dont trust long term Mac users opinions, but a recent convert would be a useful comparison for me :)

Once you get used to navigtion and using some different programmes, or the same programmes which hve been adapted for the Mac like MS office, its is cool.
I think the thing I really like is that you just drag and drop everything to open things... so If I want to see Exif details for a picture, I cant get opanda, but I can drag the image from a website to iPhoto and get the data that way...
Lots of other things like that!
The speed is also good, bot up and shutdown is fast, as is data process and photo manipulation...
So overall now I have all the programmes I need and have got used to the ones on the mac (in part) I'm impressed and happy! :)

Every time i look i think its the right way to go, but i have this massive issue with spending cash on computers, so i just think nah cant be bothered lol its a upgrade my pc or get a macbook pro so i dont have a lunking great computer in the corner of the living room kind of decision lol

Ian,
My wife has just bought a MacBook - its the 1st one in our house (bit like having a new baby :D).
Anyway, I've been given the job of setting it up and finding out how to do things with it (my wife only wants to do things the easy way and just wants to be told, not to find out for herself :bang:).
I've been using PCs since the old 386 days so its interesting to find out how to do some of the things you're used to doing on a PC, the Mac way - I've just spent 10 mins on the Mac website trying to find out how to change the default programme for a certain file type - it took some finding but its easy.
1st impressions are that its very cool :LOL: ...things just 'look cool' and most of the features seem to be well integrated which will probably make it easier to use in the long run. I havent found anything that it 'does' that my PC can't, but it certainly works well so far.
As Scoff says, bootup is extremely fast, but then again so was my PC when I first got it, till it got filled with junk :bonk:, so we'll see whats its like in a few months. Wireless web access was a breeze to setup (easier than my daughters Vista Laptop), also just got a new wireless printer/scanner - also easy to setup on both laptop and MacBook.
My wife isn't bothered about interoperability with a load of old Windows apps, so long as it reads/writes Word and Powerpoint files, so we got iWork which is OK so far.

Anyway, so far, so good.
Rich :)

ps, MSN is running OK on this Macbook

This

Service Unavailable - DNS failure
The server is temporarily unable to service your request. Please try again later.
Reference #11.546ec8d5.1188420567.10ba018

is the message I receive when I try to use MSN search. It's obviously not the op's prob cos he's solved his. (y) However, (and I'm sorry if I'm taking this thread off topic.) I posted earlier the reply I got from MSN Tech Support and am curious to know if anyone here is having the same difficulties. :thinking:

I have a paid subscription to MSN Premium, maybe it's only these accounts that are suffering. :shrug:

Looks like I possibly spoke too soon!!!
Here is where I'm at..
Installed Adium, thanks to those here I could connect to the MSN account.
I've added people to my contacts, and I can see If they are online or not...
But I CANT SEND ANY MESSAGES!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
I get... Could not send Connnection error occured!
WTF!!?!!? I'm connected!!!?!?!?
I think I may just give up!

I know.. But I thought I'd cracked it!! lol
Ian, if you have a mac store near you go along have a play, they are weird yet wonderful places!! :)
My Mac is 1/2 the size of my Dell, more powerful, MUCH lighter, the battery life is great and the screen is nice.
Looked at mac book pro, but that wouldnt have been much of a size reduction compared to my Dell, so I went truly portable.. :)
2.16gig Macbook

Oh one thing with Mac's... it's a bit pointless turning them off. Just put them to sleep and wake them up. It's really fast and not bad on power at all. My MacBook only gets restarted when there's a big update that requires it, which i guess it every month or two.

I know.. But I thought I'd cracked it!! lol
Ian, if you have a mac store near you go along have a play, they are weird yet wonderful places!! :)
My Mac is 1/2 the size of my Dell, more powerful, MUCH lighter, the battery life is great and the screen is nice.
Looked at mac book pro, but that wouldnt have been much of a size reduction compared to my Dell, so I went truly portable.. :)
2.16gig Macbook

MY main reason for getting a macbook pro is the fact i would get shot of my pc, it takes up so much room in the living room what with desk, chairs etc i can use a laptop on the coffee table lol ill see if i have an apple shop nearby

Cheers :)

Update... Went to a mates last night, who has wireless which is completly open!!! Logged on no probs, and MSN worked a treat Via Adium!
So... new fund spirit, I came home to turn off my routers firewall... It will not let me switch it off... Rang Belkin's Tec support!! Ha! 20 mins on the phone... go to this website and download this .exe file... Which bit of I'm on a mac did you not get... Please hold.. I will get someone to ring you back (holds breath!!!)

Ok, so I can set up vertual servers?? with port numbers etc... What ports do I want available for MSN?
Any suggestions how to swith off the Firewall???
HELP!!!

Done that... still unable to send messages!!!
This is now turning into one of those I will not be defeated things!!!
I had already et this up, but not on a fixed IP
MAny thanks for the help though!!!

Had this on my Belkin wireless router, In the router I went to - virtual servers, then - firewall (you probably have to put in your password), and put MSN or whichever program name under the allowed files/programs to connect to the internet. Mine worked fine from then. I use an imac.

But you probably tried this.

Had this on my Belkin wireless router, In the router I went to - virtual servers, then - firewall (you probably have to put in your password), and put MSN or whichever program name under the allowed files/programs to connect to the internet. Mine worked fine from then. I use an imac.

But you probably tried this.

Thanks Dav yes, done this still no joy!
TBH I rarel use MSN, but i will not let a small bit of electronic equipment get the better of me!!!! :)

That would be cool, and an interesting perspective going from a PC to a Mac, not that i dont trust long term Mac users opinions, but a recent convert would be a useful comparison for me :)

Ian, I've just gone from PC to mac just over a week ago. So far very, very happy, and made the right choice. Only downside for me was on pc I was using lotus word pro and 123, which wont work on microsoft office. Luckily I manage to convert my important 123 files for excel.
I've even managed to get a printer working that the manufacturers claim wont work on a mac. The other downside was my old laser printer had an old serial connection and ALL new computer don't seem to have them, so I've purchased a new colour laser to replace.

The only other thing is that PC seems to go wrong ie software conflicts and such after about a year, when a software reload and start from stratch is needed, so time will tell with the mac. I also have aperture which is just great, but petemchas said that it started to slow down after a large number of images were loaded in it's library.

Thanks Dav yes, done this still no joy!
TBH I rarel use MSN, but i will not let a small bit of electronic equipment get the better of me!!!! :)

Just a thought, If your using port forwarding, your IP isnt blocking the port are they, may just be worth a check with them to find out.

Back