Anyone use Plusnet Broadband ?

I am finding plusnet really good and not had any downtime or disconnects or anything unlike sky

I am finding plusnet really good and not had any downtime or disconnects or anything unlike sky

Same here, what makes me angry is previous ISP Virginmedia charging significantly more while throttling the connection far more especially in the evening.
We can only have ADSL here, but with Plusnet you can almost always watch youtube at 1080p for example - this was rarely possible at all with Virgin.

I would have tended to think it was a local contention issue and they'd all be the same - but clearly this is not the case.

Last edited:
Thank you, just need to fine out when I can leave talk talk and transfer to Plusnet.

I'm with the phone.coop Not the cheapest, but good customer service and they're a cooperative.

I switched talktalk to plusnet at the weekend, switchover is 10 working days, they assured me bb will transfer in less than a day, will keep you posted (adsl only here)

Been with plusnet since the force9 days, not allways been perfect but definitely the best compared to other peoples choices I know and having dealt with several others on their behalves etc over the years.
Was worried when BT bought them out a while back but thankfully they seem to have let them continue as a seperate entity.....if that ever changes I would rethink for certain.

Hey if you do let me know and I can get some kind of promotion for me and you I think :)

John,

Sorry just joined last night, topcashback has £110 cash back which was ending yesterday.

Thanks

I switched talktalk to plusnet at the weekend, switchover is 10 working days, they assured me bb will transfer in less than a day, will keep you posted (adsl only here)
Thanks, please do.

Did you go for adsl or fiber?

If adsl did you also order the router or are you going to use the one you already have?

Looking online their one is the same one O2 were giving when they did BB.

Thanks

Now confirmed that go live date is 10th November, Talk Talk are finally mailing me with plaintive requests NOT to leave them lol!
I'm keeping my ASUS router as it's lush, but have ticked the box for their own router as well as a back up plan.
Found the ADSL settings on the Plusnet website so things should go smoothly.

PS got £70 cashback through Quidco, even more on offer if you can go fibre.

Now confirmed that go live date is 10th November, Talk Talk are finally mailing me with plaintive requests NOT to leave them lol!
I'm keeping my ASUS router as it's lush, but have ticked the box for their own router as well as a back up plan.
Found the ADSL settings on the Plusnet website so things should go smoothly.

PS got £70 cashback through Quidco, even more on offer if you can go fibre.
Had a look on line and it the ADSL router provided by Plusnet is the same as the one provided by o2 when I was with them so may just use that if the talktalk one does not work.

Have a few old netgear ones lying about as well.

Thanks

With ADSL all you do is change the log-in details if you are keeping your own router.
There is no downtime at switchover - they tell you when to do it and you log out of old isp and connect to new one - takes seconds.

I live in the urban jungle living with virgin it rattles along at about 160mbps rising to 200 in Feb, I pay the price been with them about 3 years don't know what a call centre is, used to be with AOL,had to go,spent a lot of time out.

I was with O2 on ADSL but some distance from the exchange so speed was circa 2.0 Meg. O2 Broadband was taken over by Sky which saw the speed regularly throttled back to 0.5 Meg which was a joke. I switched to Plusnet Fibre but was left without an internet connection for two weeks. BT Openreach Engineers came and went and it was't until an Engineer who really knew what he was doing fixed the issue in the box down the road. Plusnet did give me three months for free for the installation problems and since then all has been well. I get about 35 Meg download, no throttling of bandwidth and the service has been reliable to date.

Was it Sky Connect by any chance? That is actually BT applying the throttling.

I left Sky this year (for VM Cable, 150Mb WOO!) but as far as I know they do not throttle (same as VM). Over subscription at peak times however may be an issue (same as VM).

Worth noting that if PlusNets exchange equipment is not oversubscribed because less people are on their network in your area, if/when it becomes more popular you will run into oversubscription slowdowns at peak times.

Last edited:
It was just standard Sky Broadband. Never experienced throttling with O2, nothing otherwise had changed and I continued with the O2 Router, but as soon as streaming video was detected by Sky, (Youtube or IPlayer), it was slowed down and therefore unwatchable regardless of the time, day or night. More users will always be a risk to bandwidth and our nearby Openreach box has sprouted a brother, that is nearly full as well. However, at the moment, both of us can use the internet and watch such as catch up TV without any buffering whatsoever.

cant say i ever had a problem with either on my sky adsl personally only at peak times. and that was with a LOT of streaming.

the extra green box may mean nothing with your current contention/oversubscription situation.

Last edited:
OK, Plusnet were eventually a day late transferring my line but after the phone was switched we were only 4 hrs without broadband, I got the text to say turn the router on and within a couple of minutes I'd put the username and password into my router and we're up and running at 13.3 Mbits when talk talk only got me 10, so far very good!

Thanks for the update. My transfer went smoothly. Speeds seems the same but I am on adsl as opposed to fiber.

Been with them years and get bonuses everytime I point someone their way, think it is £0.25 per referal a month off your bill, I'm up to £3.75 a month off which ain't to bad..

I've been with PlusNet for well over 10 years, before they were taken over by BT. Found the very good with communications. Not on fibre yet. Have found more recently (over last 2 years) that every 4 to 6 months I get a phase of broadband dropping 5 or 6 times a day for no apparent reason, end up rebooting router many times a day, usually last between 3 and 7 days then all goes away for up to 6 months. A bit of a pain at the time. Otherwise found them good.

Was thinking of changing to Plus-net but was told they traffic manage at peak times and gamers can suffer is this true or don't you really notice ?

Not a big gamer anymore :( so can't really comment, we have 4 people on line at peak times & even my prehistoric ADSL 13 Mbit connection still lets me stream films off Amazon with no probs, I'm sure someone who games will be along soon to answer your question.......

Was thinking of changing to Plus-net but was told they traffic manage at peak times and gamers can suffer is this true or don't you really notice ?
You can read about Plusnet's traffic management here.

You should pay attention to the "Traffic prioritisation" section, where it states that gaming is classed as "Titanium", ie. it has the highest priority over other types of traffic. They also state that they don't apply rate limits to any of their current residential or business products.

They also have information about gaming here.

I've been with Plusnet for over 15 years (I don't know how long exactly), unfortunately I don't participate in online gaming so I can't give you any first hand experience.

HTH

I have been with Plusnet (Force9) for about 15 years or so now. A very good service which I have been pleased with. I would strongly recommend them.

I have plus net in my holiday home and it was a painless installation, some issues with BT (BT had to supply a line first) but Plusnet sorted them directly, no issues with the speed or loading during peak times. Very happy as i was unsure at the outset.

I have been with plusnet for just over 4yrs now & i think overall they are a pretty reasonable service with good customer service as well,quite happy at the moment.:):D

Back