Anywhere other than Knockhill..

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
No
..in Scotland to shoot motorsport?

I would like to try some motorsport photos this year and would like to find other places to try...anyone know of anything?

...and is there a calender for Knockhill? I might be being stupid but I can't find anything listing the events there this year.

Being from Scotland myself the only too places are Crail and Knockhill. Crail is a waste of time, you won't find anything decent there to shoot. I am sure there used to be a Knockhill calender on their website which listed all the hot hatch and bike days etc

There are many places to shoot motor sport in Scotland. Rallies, Hillclimbs, sprints, off road events, trials, karting, autograss. go to the RSAC website then go to the directory and go through the clubs and see what events they are running.

Your starters are Jim Clark Rally based in Duns, where they also have a hillclimb track there. Kames sprint, Ingliston rally, Scottish Six Day Trial,

Last edited:
Of course the best place to be is the Island of Mull for the Mull Rally in October. You can combine "the best rally in the world" with some fantastic scenery and wildlife. It is a photographers dream

Cheers both - I thought there was a page on the knockhill site with details but can't find it. Mull rally sounds good...looks like something to book up for then.

Any other suggestions?

Christ I must be going senile as I couldn't find the events page...cheers for that one.

Am in Glasgow (missed the MC rally start a while back due to real life getting in the way) so Borders in out sadly.

Might be worthwhile keeping this thread going with events as they are thinner on the ground than in england.

Knockhill won't be so good for taking photos at from now on. High level safety fencing being put in place from the end of the pit lane all the way through to the exit of McIntyres. The run-off area from the first corner (Seat Curves/Duffus dip) has been extended by about 30 - 40 feet as well, which means the high level fence that was there is now much further back.

On the plus side, they have installed 6 - 8 inch high concrete kerbs on the insides of all the corners to prevent cars from cutting them too much. This means they have been able to remove the unsightly bollards, tyres and foam that was in place before.

Looks like it will be quite a few weeks yet before all the work is finished and then they'll need to plant grass etc for the new banking everywhere.

Ar5e.....I used to like the pit lane cause it wasn't covered in as much fencing as other circuits. Guess it had to happen sooner or later though.

The pit lane itself is still the same - it's from the end of the pit lane (ie the gravel car park) into Duffus/Seat curves they are installing the new fencing.

I thought they had rally cross and drag racing at Crail airfield. At the go-cart track about a mile up the same road as the airfield run carts and supermoto racing,check ESKC for the carts and www.scottishsupermoto for the bike racing. There are also lots of MX racing and at Cowdenbeath there is stockcar racing on saturday night's.

Last edited:
cheers everyone for the ideas....keep em rolling in if you've got anymore

At Thunder Valley near Lochgelly there's stock cars on Sunday afternoon, there is grasstrack racing there too but I haven't seen an events calender yet.

Back