Aperture to Capture One... work in progress

I'm sorry I cannot be of huge help - you organise your work in a very different way. I used very little DAM of Aperture 3 - every shoot I did became a Project named year_month_place

eg 2020_09_kelpies - then a number if more than one shoot at a place.

The Exif off the digital camera gives the date and time, but the format allowed me to store shoots this way. I never sub-divided beyond this so the export task was simpler for me.

In the end I cannot use c1 as it doesn't support the camera I now use (Pentax 645z) so will use DXO, SilkyPix (free with the camera) and On1 going forward

There is another area in the C1Pro window lower down (not shown above) of C1 Folders that apparently exactly matches the actual folder and file structure on my Mac. Clicking on a bottom level Mac folder in this hierarchy will show previews of the images in that folder, but clicking on any of the higher level folders do not.

I can't really help you with this as I don't use C1 catalogues. But the folder tree you mention above, gives you direct access to system folder when using C1 as a browser to find and edit files which avoids importing them into a catalogue or session.

New discovery this week... I imported some photos from my digital camera (the littleFuji X10) the other day. With Aperture, I just connect the camera to my Mac with a USB cable, turn the camera on to display photos, and Aperture opens up ready to import. I tried the same setup with C1Pro, and nothing happened! No sign of the camera, nor any photos to import! Eventually I got enough clues from the Help site to remove the SD card and plug it into the card reader on the side of my ancient MacBook Pro. That was enough to spur C1Pro into action, and I was able to download the photos.

Is this the only way to download files from a camera with C1Pro? It must be a pain for a lot of people; most Macbooks these days don't come with a built-in SD card reader, so there's extra expense right there!

(There are rumours that a future MBP will have the SD card reader re-instated, but AFAIK these are still just rumours; nothing is really known about Apple's plans until the product announcement.)

My SD reader on a USB/Thunderbolt on a 16" MBP works fine, as did the slot on my old 15" MBP.

Not sure how to fix it for you, the prefs used to be in Image Capture, I think.

My SD reader on a USB/Thunderbolt on a 16" MBP works fine, as did the slot on my old 15" MBP.

Not sure how to fix it for you, the prefs used to be in Image Capture, I think.
Plugging the SD card into my old Mac did actually work. I wondered if your last comment referred to a possible Prefs option for connecting a camera via USB, but all I could find was a tick box (checked): "Open importer when detecting card from digital camera".

FWIW.
On my Windows 10 PCs.
I have the C1 Express (Free) and USB lead to camera shows the camera and I click to the images on it's card.
Obviously the card in a USB card reader also works the same.
I prefer the first as I'm always wary of damaging cards.....but appreciate that Photographers may well use numerous cards. ;)

Last edited:
FWIW.
On my Windows 10 PCs.
I have the C1 Express (Free) and USB lead to camera shows the camera and I click to the images on it's card.
Obviously the card in a USB card reader also works the same.
I prefer the first as I'm always wary of damaging cards.....but appreciate that Photographers may well use numerous cards. ;)
Hmmm, that's interesting. Can I ask which camera?

Nikon D3500.....(Other cameras have been the same)
If a small photo project they go in a temporary 'Camera Import Folder'.
A larger event in it's own named and dated folder.
Holidays are stored in Date/Location/Year folders.

I'm not a 'Photographer' as such but it's the way I've stored them in 'Windows Pictures' since the beginning of 'Windows'. I only take between 1 to 2,000 images per year. The second image is camera switched on.
r.Camera 1.JPGCamera 2.JPG

Last edited:
Is this the only way to download files from a camera with C1Pro? It must be a pain for a lot of people; most Macbooks these days don't come with a built-in SD card reader, so there's extra expense right there!

Hello,

I've been told on several C1 expert forums that it is not possible to read directly from a card in the Camera on the Mac. You need a card reader.

Now, as if all that wasn't confusing enough. this is where it gets complicated. In the next temporary catalogue, I imported a Mac folder of several film rolls from 2019 (all in one import), and later a new folder of scans of my first roll this year. The resulting structure looks completely different. Unfortunately I added a few albums before taking this snapshot, but it currently looks like this:

View attachment 306057

All the 2019 images went into one album in User Collections, with no reflection of the film roll structure reflected in the Mac folder and file names. (The latter do appear under the Folders section, when expanded.) I can't see any way to create a structure in User collections related to the one created by importing from the Aperture library! (This means if I start from the latter, but do direct imports, I'd be creating a different structure, AFAICS.)

So, I am confused! I'm also a bit blocked, as I feel I need to settle on a structure before committing all my images to it. Hopefully that structure would allow me to view image previews at a higher level than a single film roll, but more granular than "All images".

Can anyone suggest a way forward, please?

I am a bit new to C1, having deferred for the last 3 years to import my Aperture Library to it, but I arrive to the same conclusion as you.
Actually I doubt it's possible to do it (automatically mirroring in User collection the finder architecture) . The concept of User collections in C1 is different from the concept of projects in Aperture.
In Aperture, every photo is meant to be in one and one only Project.
In C1, projects are only a view of selected photos in the Library.
The built-in Aperture importer goes around this because Phase One had a marketing incentive to force you to import your Aperture photo collection, but once you've done it, the C1 philosophy stays the same. Your User Collections are not supposed to be used to mirror your finder hierarchy so they haven't developed the feature.

This leaves us , ex-aperture users, forced to find a new workflow.
Sofar, I've found no easy way but to manually recreate the desired structure for each importation.
I'll create a new topic to share about this.

By the way, there is new kid in town about aperture importer, called Avalanche.
It is still in beta and the V1 should be available soon, It is quite ambitious (maybe too much ?) and promises to keep the edit with the migration.

Hello,

I've been told on several C1 expert forums that it is not possible to read directly from a card in the Camera on the Mac. You need a card reader.
Thanks Hugo. This is really weird, as we have @EJB abve telling us he can do it. I've also found a couple of places in Capture One's own Capture One User Guide where it says things like:

"Capture One’s importer dialog allows you to import all the images from a memory card, connected camera, flash disk or portable external drive, or you can import selected images instead."

(My emphasis.) However at one point the next sentence says:

"Note that you can also import images from a connected camera if it supports the Mass storage protocol. Not all cameras support this feature, but some Nikon models do as an example."

I wasn't sure what that last para meant, so I did a search and found https://photo.stackexchange.com/que...een-usb-mass-storage-mode-and-mtp-or-ptp-mode :

"USB mass storage is exactly what it sounds like: your camera presents its storage to the computer as a removable drive. This means you can poke around in parts of the storage the camera would really rather you didn't, re-format with the filesystem of your choice, copy files other than images to and from the camera, and in general treat the camera as a funny-looking USB thumb drive (possibly with unpredictable consequences).

PTP/MTP mode is a more structured way of accessing the storage, designed for moving files to or from the camera. The camera remains in control at all times, preventing you from changing storage in ways that would cause problems.

In general, mass storage mode is more flexible, while PTP/MTP mode makes it harder for the user to break things."

Somewhere else I found a suggestion that the X100 (that preceded the X10) only supports PTP, so I'm guessing that's the cause here.

By the way, there is new kid in town about aperture importer, called Avalanche.
It is still in beta and the V1 should be available soon, It is quite ambitious (maybe too much ?) and promises to keep the edit with the migration.
That could have been useful a year or so ago, but that part of my transition is now done. I've used the adjusted images from Aperture via ApertureExporter for all my film stuff (because of the large numbers of retouch adjustments), and just accepted C1Pro's version of the Aperture adjustments for my (less important) digital camera stuff. In the former case, I'll still have the original images to fall back on (not yet imported) if for some reason I want to do a back-to-basics adjustment entirely in C1Pro.

Now it's a matter of making an organisational structure in the User Collections bit that works for me!

EDIT: Avalanche from here: https://cyme.io/avalanche-photo-conversion/

Last edited:
I am a bit new to C1, having deferred for the last 3 years to import my Aperture Library to it, but I arrive to the same conclusion as you.
Actually I doubt it's possible to do it (automatically mirroring in User collection the finder architecture) . The concept of User collections in C1 is different from the concept of projects in Aperture.
In Aperture, every photo is meant to be in one and one only Project.
In C1, projects are only a view of selected photos in the Library.
The built-in Aperture importer goes around this because Phase One had a marketing incentive to force you to import your Aperture photo collection, but once you've done it, the C1 philosophy stays the same. Your User Collections are not supposed to be used to mirror your finder hierarchy so they haven't developed the feature.

This leaves us , ex-aperture users, forced to find a new workflow.
Sofar, I've found no easy way but to manually recreate the desired structure for each importation.
I'll create a new topic to share about this.
Thanks Hugo. I'm glad to see there's someone else on the same pathway! (If not to see someone else suffering the same pain... )

The most recent webinar I watched covering the basics of C1Pro, the guy commented that a lot of folk had asked for a way to match the folder structure of images being imported to create a corresponding structure in User Collections. He said he thought this was a good idea, too, but as far as he knew it wasn't possible. I do find the import process a bit cumbersome, having to set up a new Project and/or Album in User collections, prior to import!

Last edited:
Somewhere else I found a suggestion that the X100 (that preceded the X10) only supports PTP, so I'm guessing that's the cause here.
I tried connecting my X10 to my Mac, and nothing appeared in the storage devices list. Then I tried connecting it to the family Win10 machine, and got a message "Setting up USB PTP Device". It was still not visible as a storage device, but was available for import via picasa or a selection of other means. So I think that's the issue here! :(

... As mentioned in previous posts, I've imported images into my (temporary) C1Pro catalogues in two ways. The largest catalogue was created by importing directly from my Aperture library (or more correctly, from temporary subset Aperture libraries). That gives and organisational structure a bit like this...
Well I now understand what the various symbols in C1Pro mean, a bit better. These don't seem to be actually defined anywhere in the User Guide, or elsewhere AFAICS!

Screenshot C1Pro import from Aperture 2021-01-20 at 14.52.25.png

So the items under User Collections, like Adam, Bessa R3A etc are Groups. You can see that the list of one per year under Pentax New are also Groups. Within the 2018 Group, we have a Project 2018APLXCN.... and a corresponding Album within that, also called 2018APLXCN....

Clicking on one of the higher level Groups will NOT show you the images within it. If you click on the Project or an Album, you will see the images, as in the example.

AFAIK you cannot have a Project inside a Project, nor an Album inside an Album. You can have a Group or an Album inside a Project (or more than one of them).

I believe that the scope of a Smart Album is the whole collection, unless it's inside a Project, when the scope is limited to that Project and its Albums. At least, I think that's the intention; in at least one case it didn't work like that (ie I had a limited scope Smart Album outside a Project).

My thought at the moment is that instead of having lots of Projects (one per film) inside the Year Group, I might have one Project for the year (within Pentax New, say), and simply have one Album per film. That would mean I could have a Smart Album for each camera/year, and would save the double Project/Album structure per film. This should make import a lot simpler.

I tried connecting my X10 to my Mac, and nothing appeared in the storage devices list. Then I tried connecting it to the family Win10 machine, and got a message "Setting up USB PTP Device". It was still not visible as a storage device, but was available for import via picasa or a selection of other means. So I think that's the issue here! :(
I've just checked : My Canon 7DII does not appear as a usb storage on any of my two Macs (one 2006, one from 2019), though Aperture can import on both of them. So you're probably right, it's Capture one who likely did not implement PTP for importing on the Mac.

I believe that the scope of a Smart Album is the whole collection, unless it's inside a Project, when the scope is limited to that Project and its Albums. At least, I think that's the intention; in at least one case it didn't work like that (ie I had a limited scope Smart Album outside a Project).
That's correct.

My thought at the moment is that instead of having lots of Projects (one per film) inside the Year Group, I might have one Project for the year (within Pentax New, say), and simply have one Album per film. That would mean I could have a Smart Album for each camera/year, and would save the double Project/Album structure per film. This should make import a lot simpler.

If you do that you lose the ability to have easy smart album per project. And I suspect you could have some performance and UI issues. It does not seem to be the recommended way by Phase One, but maybe I'm wrong.

Back