APPLE iMac

Name
Ann
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi what do folk on here reckon to using an Apple iMac for editing photos particularly the screens are they any good anybody use this set-up ?

Yep I have one of the 27in ones and it is fab. I use CS2 and Bibble 5.

Apple imacs are great for editing but I you will get better value for money if you got a PC (you will be paying extra for the "Apple" brand). You could then use the money you save on a dedicated screen/monitor.

Rich

The glossy screens make images look sharper than matte screens, but you will have to contend with reflections. I don't use a Mac, but I have a couple of matte screened Dell IPS monitors - I don't like reflections on the screen - they make it significantly more difficult to actually see what's going on IMHO.

A Mac is the same hardware as a good spec PC (at least as far as the processor, memory and chipset). There isn't a hardware advantage with the Mac.

I don't get this whole 'reflections' thing, if positioned correctly, they simply don't exist, I don't get any on my 27" screen. Having said that, I appreciate positioning in a home or smaller office may not always be perfect just because we actually have to live with it too, if that makes sense.

I was a windows user for many years and I still have my old XP64bit machine that is a still a powerful processing beast with a pretty decent Dell screen and I will still use it if at the office where it now sits. However the bulk of my stuff is done on an iMac, and all our household laptops are macs too and love them. The hardware is basically the same as a well spec'd pc, but the OS seems to use it in a much more efficient way [this is NOT a scientific fact, I am simply basing it on comparing two similar machines, with similar processors, amount of RAM, HD speeds, etc, the mac was by far the quicker of the two. I am sure pc users could argue it the other way]

Of course if you are unsure, you could do what I did originally, buy a s/h machine, prices on s/h macs are relatively low atm if sales in classifieds here are anything to go by. See if you get on with it and like it before commiting a LOT of cash to a new model. You can always sell it on again and by then, Apple will probably have released the next generation machines that have been rumoured for a while.

Just for info, I use mine with LR4 and CS6

I don't get this whole 'reflections' thing, if positioned correctly, they simply don't exist, I don't get any on my 27" screen. Having said that, I appreciate positioning in a home or smaller office may not always be perfect just because we actually have to live with it too, if that makes sense.

I was a windows user for many years and I still have my old XP64bit machine that is a still a powerful processing beast with a pretty decent Dell screen and I will still use it if at the office where it now sits. However the bulk of my stuff is done on an iMac, and all our household laptops are macs too and love them. The hardware is basically the same as a well spec'd pc, but the OS seems to use it in a much more efficient way [this is NOT a scientific fact, I am simply basing it on comparing two similar machines, with similar processors, amount of RAM, HD speeds, etc, the mac was by far the quicker of the two. I am sure pc users could argue it the other way]

Of course if you are unsure, you could do what I did originally, buy a s/h machine, prices on s/h macs are relatively low atm if sales in classifieds here are anything to go by. See if you get on with it and like it before commiting a LOT of cash to a new model. You can always sell it on again and by then, Apple will probably have released the next generation machines that have been rumoured for a while.

Just for info, I use mine with LR4 and CS6

Thank you all for some valuable feedback YV I take it you do your editing on the iMac

The glossy screens make images look sharper than matte screens, but you will have to contend with reflections. I don't use a Mac, but I have a couple of matte screened Dell IPS monitors - I don't like reflections on the screen - they make it significantly more difficult to actually see what's going on IMHO.

A Mac is the same hardware as a good spec PC (at least as far as the processor, memory and chipset). There isn't a hardware advantage with the Mac.

indeed. show me a good design/media studio that uses glossy screens.

we've got a few imacs and apple cimema displays at work and you always get reflection no matter what angle you have them at.

if you want to go down the apple route then look at 2nd hand macbook pros then you can at least spec in an external matte display.

re OS differences, from a support point of view snow leopard vs w7 are pretty much the same on the same spec hardware. lion is worse in my opinion and theyve cocked up the networking.

I'm with Yv, I have no problem with the reflections on my iMac. Just position it correctly and you'll have no problem.

If in doubt, go to an Apple Store or Authorised retailer and check the machines out. Take some images to test with you.

We use 27" iMacs in our business, and they are ideal for our needs, photo editing and website design/tweaking.

We've never had problems with reflection.

As already suggested, go along to your local apple store/electrical retailer and have a play with one.

It's also worth noting they have high second hand values so you should be able to get a fair amount for it if you don't get on with it.

Thanks

Andrew

Personally I'd suggest if you really want an iMac trying one in a few different lighting situations. Again personally the gloss gives me headaches.

I'd still strongly recommend a matte ips over a glossy (even ips).

Incidentally even apple call their matte option "anti glare" ;)

sheridant said:
and retina screens will give you a lot more detail - a big plus for apple

The iMac is a standard led, not retina. At least yet (now that would be pricey).

Last edited:
Thank you all for some valuable feedback YV I take it you do your editing on the iMac

yes, all of it, like I say apart from the very rare occasion I have to use the old PC because I am in the office we have at our garage business and it really is very rare. That has a matte screen and due to that old positioning problem, I get more reflection issues on that than my iMac, but I can't move it elsewhere atm :bang:

neil - I can name at least two that I know reasonably well and do a lot of work for well know international companies [Kellogs, just as an example] and they both use glossy screen iMacs :LOL: BUT, I am a great believer in horses for courses and trying things out in the cheapest possible way before commiting to buy. So whether its hiring a lens, or popping into a mac store [or even buying s/h first], everyone will have their preferences (y)

I give another thumbs up for the iMac. I bought my 27" last year. After I ordered it I thought what have I done, that screen is going to be to big in my living room. It's amazing how quick you get used to the size. Was always a Window person. But now I would never go back. If you choose an iMac I don't think you will be disappointed. Oh nearly forgot, I have never had problems with reflections.

Kath

Thank you very much for all the feedback we have been to a retailer today to ask questions and look at the system, must say we were very impressed, a lot of things would work for me ,the only thing is my husband was so impressed I think even if I don't go that way he definitely will :)

I have a 21 yea the screen is. Ice, reflections can be a b1tch at times
But I love it and she is 3 years old and still going strong

I use a 27" iMac and it's great, granted the screen is not quite as good as my Apple Cinema Display was but the glossy finish is certainly not a problem if you know how to set up a studio properly with correct lighting and screen positioning.

I use macs for their OS rather than the 'brand'

The iMac's compact size make it very useful too.

neil - I can name at least two that I know reasonably well and do a lot of work for well know international companies [Kellogs, just as an example] and they both use glossy screen iMacs :LOL: BUT, I am a great believer in horses for courses and trying things out in the cheapest possible way before commiting to buy. So whether its hiring a lens, or popping into a mac store [or even buying s/h first], everyone will have their preferences (y)

thats fine, im not here to start an argument :)

for the record i work for a nationwide clothing brand and our design dept use glossy apple screens.

having been a mac user since leaving art college.... (cough) years ago, and from a graphic design background i have to say the mac wins hands down in all areas. apart from price!! but for me is a small price to pay for the kit you get. have a 21'' imac and cant say i have ever had any issues with reflection on the screen

Plus one for the imac.
Must admit tho, when I got my imac I found it to be a steep learning curve. (not for just editing photos though).

Been using a Mac27 for a couple of years and have,n,t found the reflection issue a problem
mine is placed right in front of a large window , if its very sunny i just draw a heavy pair of curtains across .

Used a 24" Imac for a few years before recently upgrading to a 27" and loved them both. The glossy screen has never caused any problems and I love their compactness, which, along the the Snow Leopard operating system (not a Windows fan) won me over from originally being a PC man.
You certainly wont regret buying an Imac, but they are pricey for the spec. you get in comparison to an equivalent spec. PC.
The only downside I found is they are certainly not as easy to upgrade as a PC (apart from the RAM which is a doddle)

I Have never had any problems with reflections from my Imacs, both at home or in the design studio at work. My major issue with the Mac OS is security, you can't apply the same levels of securityin the apple environment as in the wintel environment, which is a major requirement at work working for a security printers.

I Have never had any problems with reflections from my Imacs, both at home or in the design studio at work. My major issue with the Mac OS is security, you can't apply the same levels of securityin the apple environment as in the wintel environment, which is a major requirement at work working for a security printers.
Hi thanks for your comment just a quick question what about security for using in the home can you not get the same level of security as a windows pc i currently use Kaspersky

You shouldn't have any security issues in a home environment as long as you apply common sense to how you use it. :)

Few of you mention the 21.5 inch screen. A good bit cheaper but obviously not as popular? Any comments. merv:bang:

what is so good about the imacs?

I like the look of them but cant see they would gain me anything over a pc, are they really powerful and dont need upgrades or what?

surely a good photo processor could churn out the same editing on both systems?

surely a good photo processor could churn out the same editing on both systems?

Yep they could, just the same as the Canon / Nikon debate, tools for the job etc, it's just some people will enjoy using one more than the other.

To the OP, I use a 21.5 iMac with gloss screen for all my editing, and don't have any glare/reflection issues, you just need to position it correctly :)

It could, the beauty of the iMac is that it's all enclosed in one single sleek unit and they just work. :)

I use a 27" iMac and it is great for LR4, PS CS6 and silver efex. We only went mac because the wife was fed up with the clutter that my mucking around with PCs led to!

Back