APPLE iMac

I saw a new machine stood right next to an old one on launch day in Birmingham. The reflections were greatly reduced in comparison on the new model.

Just had notification that my 27 incher has shipped and will arrive a week earlier than expected on the 21st... BOOM (y)

Flashman, did you order any extra ram for your machine at all?

I plumped for 16 (2x8) with the intention of upgrading it to 32 later... although I've never in my life upgraded a machine that has subsequently still worked!

I ordered an extra 16gb to go with the standard 8gb but I'm not reading reports of the memory clock speed being set lower due to mis matches so I might order another 16gb kit and remove the apple 8gb. No point in specing the 3.4 with the 680 and fusion just to hold it back to 1333 instead of the 1600 memory clock speeds.

Just checked my delivery in case i was going to be lucky, no such luck no early delivery for me yet. i also went with the 16 Gb option

I've got a horrible feeling that 'Santa' is going to nick it until the 25th anyway so I've only gained a couple of days! :LOL:

The nice UPS man has just delivered a mysterious triangular shaped parcel! :woot:

... But Mrs F has whisked it away to Santa's grotto :crying:

Amazing that Apple even make the brown packing box look 'designer'!

My home built tower PC has SSD + high end RAM / MoBo / Graphics card / I7 / Liquid cooling etc etc and still cost under 1300 QUID.

This machine will out perform any MAC on the market for any heavy processing task such as rendering 3D animation scenes to HD video.

The box that holds all the parts was carefully chosen to house the extra cooling elements to ensure the CPU cooling was sufficient for longevity. The spare drive bays are filled up with SD Card reader / USB 3 multiport / DVD / Blu-ray. The external colour / texture / aesthetics of the box had zero effect on my choice of box.

I have always built my own computers and this is why I will never understand a conscious choice made for a MAC.

Jocky said:
My home built tower PC has SSD + high end RAM / MoBo / Graphics card / I7 / Liquid cooling etc etc and still cost under 1300 QUID.

This machine will out perform any MAC on the market for any heavy processing task such as rendering 3D animation scenes to HD video.

The box that holds all the parts was carefully chosen to house the extra cooling elements to ensure the CPU cooling was sufficient for longevity. The spare drive bays are filled up with SD Card reader / USB 3 multiport / DVD / Blu-ray. The external colour / texture / aesthetics of the box had zero effect on my choice of box.

I have always built my own computers and this is why I will never understand a conscious choice made for a MAC.

That's great! Now run OS X on it natively. What's the warranty like on it? Could you walk in to a local store and most of the time walk out with it fixed? What res and colour standards is the monitor? Which I see you forgot to include in pricing.

Now run OS X on it natively.
I'm not going to descend into an Apple VS PC debate - it's Christmas after all, but why on earth would you want to run OS-X at all? (see, there are two sides to every story ;))

We have 9 and have migrated nearly all the pc's , they do the job brilliantly.

Get a cheap memory upgrade, all ours are 12 or 16gb and your away...

Trouble free computing.

'Oooh yes it is!' :D

</Panto>
Oh no it isn't............ (he's behind you BTW :D)

We have 9 and have migrated nearly all the pc's , they do the job brilliantly.
We have 12 computers. None are Macs and none run OS-X. They do the job brilliantly.

See... I can be erudite too...

Oh no it isn't............ (he's behind you BTW :D)

We have 12 computers. None are Macs and none run OS-X. They do the job brilliantly.

See... I can be erudite too...

The point I was making staff edit was that we have had zero problems with a number of them, and are more than happy with the performance ect, in a real world studio enviroment, something the op would find useful.

Edited by Df, less of that please.

The point I was making staff edit was that we have had zero problems with a number of them, and are more than happy with the performance ect, in a real world studio enviroment, something the op would find useful.
And I have zero problems with my Windows (and *nix) machines. So what?

There are plenty of IT pros who have just as much a problem with Macs/OSX as Windows machines (actually, it's the users that have the problems with - you can bloat and cripple MacOS or Windows (or *nix) but it's the users who do it).

OSX (and Macs in general) are not the panacea they are made out to be.

There really is a great deal of tosh goes on in any thread that mentions MacOS or Windows!

They both do exactly the same thing just with a few differences in how.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both and I've listed them before.

I'm sat here typing this on a 2012 15" retina Macbook Pro Quad 2.6GHz (3.6Ghz) i7, 16Gb Ram, 512Gb SSD - It is the best laptop money can buy (other than paying silly extra money for the 2.7 (3.7) GHz or 768Gb SSD options of the same laptop). I bought it and will use it for an average of 2-4 hours a day for the next 4 years probably THEN I will sell it for maybe £600-800 and buy the next one. I have a 2008 Mac Pro - It still crunches anything I chuck at it so does not need upgrading (I treated it to a new graphics card this year) and runs a genuine server OS. I have a Windows machine running Windows 7 which is totally stable and built using the best components for the job, at the time (it's running one of the last Pentium 4s). I also have a proliant server running linux.

Most of the time most computers are waiting for the user to do something not the other way around and unless you are messing with rendering large amounts of video constantly you don't need anything quicker than last years machine anyway.

Raw speed is not the only thing that is important on a computer really is it. I run a browser, photoshop, a language compiler/linker/development system, electronic CAD software, programmable processor development systems, photoshop, illustrator, word, mail, indesign, multitrack music creation software and numerous other stuff without any problem...... but I didn't have any before I got this laptop and was using my previous one - 2008 17" Macbook Pro, 2.5GHz, 6Gb RAM, 512Gb hybrid SSD HD

Some people need to grow up. As a professional I buy what I need for the task. I use the OS that best suites me and the task. I use a laptop most of the time for portability so I get the best one there is.

Apple is popular at the moment because it is giving people what they want at the moment!

They have often charged a premium over the same Windows based kit BUT you often get this back when you sell it (my last MBP cost me £1600 after discounts and sold for £600 so £1000 for 4 years use works out at about £5 per week!). A 17" Windows machine would have been no quicker but would have cost about the same and sold for much less at the end. Also when you actually compare like for like in the laptop market Apple isn't often more expensive!! Yes you can buy a £300 laptop from Asda or Lidl but I wouldn't want one! I buy a quality machine because the contents and use are far more important than the machine but if you compare a quality Windows machine with a quality Apple machine the price isn't that much different.

Apple machines don't have it all their own way though. My Windows desktop has a 2006/7 motherboard but I have added USB3 and other things to it which is more difficult and expensive using Apple kit. I also use to like modding my computer and with Windows kit this is far easier. Adding an LCD panel, messing with cooling, over clocking etc etc

As for the malware debate .. There hasn't been a VIRUS out in the wild for MacOS but there have been a few very limited trojan attacks based on stolen software downloaded from torrent sites - You cannot really protect against this because when it installs it gets permission to change system files etc and the user gives that permission because they are installing some software. They don't realise that the software also contains malware but this is hardly a fault of the OS or Apple!.... Most "virus" attacks on Windows machines are nothing of the sort they are, again trojans or, other similar programs or quite often things like the hard drive filling up etc or people being fooled into installing programs they shouldn't etc. Windows XP and Windows 7 and very stable (some 3rd party drivers might not be)

Horse for courses.......

Well, the new iMac is just about set up now, I've spent a couple of days transferring everything from my old machine and this afternoon I have physically put it all in place and am working on it now.

Previously I was working on a Mac 30" Cinema Display (which I have kept as a second monitor) so cannot directly compare the new iMac display to the old one... but I have to say that I'm very impressed so far. The screen is still glossy but the claim of 75% less reflection seems believable as I can barely see any reflection at all on lit parts of the screen, it really is a pleasure to look at and work on. Next job is to set up my Epson 9900 on it so I can see how well calibrated it is 'out of the box'. Everything else about the machine ticks all the boxes so far, everything has installed without too much trouble and all seems to work as it should... a typically stress free and pleasurable Mac experience! (y)

From a business point of view, purely on reliability, ease of use, support, and price, we moved to apple. We have loads of iMacs and they work fantastically, I personally us dell xps, but will move as soon as they die, which one just did a week ago, simply will not run or install chrome, was working, now isn't.......

And easy to use is an understatement, my misses setup her new ipad to talk to her iMac, iPhone the lot all via the iCloud, no way in hell she was doing that with PC stuff.

As an ex MCSE I have been in PC land for years, finally I have seen the light, a system that limits people's ability to break stuff, and just gets on with what it was made to do.

As an ex MCSE I have been in PC land for years, finally I have seen the light, a system that limits people's ability to break stuff, and just gets on with what it was made to do.
You know, I can really see the appeal of Apple. It all appears to work together, everything integrating with everything else, and generally it does. The problems come when you are at the edge of what it expects, when you want to do something out of how the way Apple want/expect you to work.

There will be a time when something has been thought through for you too much, and the Apple way is not how you want to do things, but you will have to, because that is the way Apple systems work. You will be forced to use a method which doesn't fit right with how you want to work, but is the only way Apple will support things. It may cost you money or it may be that there is a way that is 100x as quick, but it will only be possible via the method that is supported in that particular Apple incantation which may be totally inefficient in your environment. Or it may be as silly that you can't get your music onto your iPod without totally wiping it (which is where I lost my Apple virginity). You will spend your time working around Apples closed system to try and get some openness back. The Apple way of doing things will become the millstone, not the liberator.

Only time will tell if I'm right, but I already get the sense others are seeing it and that the Apple love affair is starting to wane. At the end of the day, no one can get it 100% right 100% of the time, despite what the soundbites may have you believe.....

Its here !

Lu1gt.jpg

3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-4x8GB (on the box)
1TB Fusion Drive
NVIDIAGeFrc GTX 680MX 2G GDDR5

Jocky said:

Oh how I long for the good old day, when I had to get the bucket on the fire to warm the water to the temperature I thought was best, then place the washboard in the tub and decided should I scrub the collars or cuffs first, maybe sometime because I could I just soak the shirt first then do the collar last. It was great back then when I could do it all my way. Now I just have to do what ever Bosch say as I can only pick the program they have set on the machine, just because I always used my hands and a washboard doesn't mean it's still the best way.

I have no problem with people preferring to build their own machine,in fact I think it has a advantage in that you now have an understanding of how thing are put together and what they do, too many people have zero knowledge of how stuff works. If that's your thing great, but if quoting price you should do a like for like comparison. As said before you forgot the price of a good ISP monitor, and do you use a cheap plastic keyboard or a top quality metal one, have got a webcam and speakers with microphone and so on,have you priced up any sort of warranty to cover your machine on a parts failure, plus don't forget to add the cost of your time to source and build your computer, time that could have been spent earning money.

Buying from a store is not just about the price of the hardware, but the service too, for example, due to a problem with some hard drives, Apple have been replacing drives for free in a large number of machines including my 2009 model, my dads wireless keyboard kept reporting the wrong battery level, walked in the store with it to enquire about the issue, came out 5 mins later brand new keyboard in hand. Yes the iMac is not dirt cheap, but the real question is do you get what you pay for and are you happy with the service.

Last edited:
The other thing is that you fall into the laws of diminishing returns!

My 2.6/3.6ghz quad i7 laptop with 16gb of ddr3 1666 ram and 512gb SSD will be not far behind in percentage terms.

Check the comparisons. The actual speed of a machine coating twice as much can be as little as 5-10% and rarely more than 20%. Unless you are playing games across 3 large monitors or doing lots of video encoding the extra speed matters little.

A same spec Monitor is in the region of £500 plus resale value, app,e hold there value very very well.

Raymond Lin said:
Its here !

3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-4x8GB (on the box)
1TB Fusion Drive
NVIDIAGeFrc GTX 680MX 2G GDDR5

Mine went to preparing to ship yesterday, still got the same eta though.

One thing I would add is that you all mad for paying the extra ram upgrade, 3rd pary comparable is so much cheaper.

We upgraded all the iMacs, around £26 took them to 12gb each, more than enough. Not sure if upgrade are visible yet for the new ones, but won't be long.

That said, the new iMac is a pain in the ass to upgrade, and I am thankful we bought 2 of the old models.

You have to remove the screen to access the ram, possibly the dumbest idea I have ever seen.........and a way for apple to stop the average person using third party ram.

Pretty disgusting really.

That said, the new iMac is a pain in the ass to upgrade, and I am thankful we bought 2 of the old models.

You have to remove the screen to access the ram, possibly the dumbest idea I have ever seen.........and a way for apple to stop the average person using third party ram.

You are right, it really is infuriating.

Apples old way to be difficult on upgrades was to propagate all slots with RAM. Meaning you had to bin or ebay old ram when upgrading and that was annoying enough.

Studi0488 said:

Only on the small 21.5" the 27" has a door on the back to allow access to all 4 ram sockets, I have 16gb (2x8gb) ready to go in mine the moment it arrives. I'll be keeping he stock 8gb in there too so 24gb in total

Only on the small 21.5" the 27" has a door on the back to allow access to all 4 ram sockets, I have 16gb (2x8gb) ready to go in mine the moment it arrives. I'll be keeping he stock 8gb in there too so 24gb in total

You right, the article I read was for the 21in phew....

My retina MBP has everything bar the SSD soldered in so I had to get 16Gb fitted by Apple. I really like the 27" iMacs and with the thunderbolt port I could use it as an external monitor for the laptop. I'm toying with the idea of getting the cheapest 27" iMac with thunderbolt for that reason.

Got mine yesterday and now learning how to use it (never had a mac). Been told to get the monitor calibrated so on the look for a monitor calibrator with mac software. If anyone has one and are willing too lend me it i will pay for your postage and return it within a few days.

I have connected my calibrator up to several new iMacs and to be honest the difference from perfect is virtually nothing you have to flick backwards and forwards to see any difference. On the laptop I couldn't see any difference so uninstalled the software!

Back