APPLE iMac

I've been using this 2008 iMac every day and its never ever given me a problem. I start my windows laptop up ( similar age) once a month and it spends an age updating and then being generally slow and it had loads of bsod in its time.

My Mac Pro is over three years old now and still runs as fast and sweet as the day I bought it. Never had to defrag a disc, clean a registry or mess about with it at all... I never had a Windows PC that was as easy to live with for a non techie numpty like me.

My comment re security, was aimed in a high secure company environment, I work for a Bank note printer. There is no issue with security for home use :)

Well i have had some really helpful feedback on here, thank you it looks like I will be having the 21.5 iMac and my better half will be waiting for the latest models when they appear :eek:

i always forget i post in this section..

I've been using this 2008 iMac every day and its never ever given me a problem. I start my windows laptop up ( similar age) once a month and it spends an age updating and then being generally slow and it had loads of bsod in its time.

no thats fine if it works for you, i just spend half my working day dealing with mac issues :)

ms release updates every 2nd tuesday so if youre only switching on once a month youll always have updates waiting. id check your other laptop for disk and/or memory issues first off if its bsod'ing that regularly :)

My Mac Pro is over three years old now and still runs as fast and sweet as the day I bought it. Never had to defrag a disc, clean a registry or mess about with it at all... I never had a Windows PC that was as easy to live with for a non techie numpty like me.

yep
the things i like about mac are

1) no defragging
2) no need for security software
3) security of a uni system, so I don't end up with a new firefox toolbar every time I set foot on the internet
4) xp sucked compared to osx when I made my decision, windows 7 is better but i've been on osx for 4 years now and i'm not likely to change back
5) osx just makes sense, everything is explained clearly, but you can still hack and code and play with terminal if you want to. Windows 7 seems to be marketed towards geeks and techies, watching my dad try to use windows is somewhat tragic as it's just so cryptic at times
6) RAW support built into the browser, so you can view RAW files in quick look without having to open them- killer feature
7) I make music too, and OSX 'core-audio' is way better than windows equivalent
8) the hardware is pretty (and as a designer I care about that)- there are no 'pretty' windows components, only things designed for geeks with neon tubes and tacky oversized fan's
9) the software is pretty (and I care about that too)
10) I can walk down to the apple store and get free tips and advice

I'm not a mac fanboy though, I think there are some things about OSX that totally suck

I always thought the 21" was expensive compared to the 27"- I think it's worth the jump as not only do you get a bigger screen, you get better stock hardware too

the imacs are well in need of a refresh though, so the best value for money option at the moment is a macbook pro and external display

yep

1) no defragging
3) security of a uni system, so I don't end up with a new firefox toolbar every time I set foot on the internet
4) xp sucked compared to osx when I made my decision, windows 7 is better but i've been on osx for 4 years now and i'm not likely to change back
5) osx just makes sense, everything is explained clearly, but you can still hack and code and play with terminal if you want to. Windows 7 seems to be marketed towards geeks and techies, watching my dad try to use windows is somewhat tragic as it's just so cryptic at times
6) RAW support built into the browser, so you can view RAW files in quick look without having to open them- killer feature
8) the hardware is pretty (and as a designer I care about that)- there are no 'pretty' windows components, only things designed for geeks with neon tubes and tacky oversized fan's

defrag? who does that these days with journalled FS and SSD? ;)

also security software is debatable. youll probably find for example a lot of large business are now installing AV software on their macs.

toolbars only get installed if you click in stupid places..

xp is one of the most reliable and stable OS ms have ever made.

cryptic? if some of our users can use it with no input over XP then theres hope for everyone.. :LOL:

raw support just needs a codec.

music and media production, horses for courses.

you dont have to own an ugly pc theses days, make it how you want it.

osx and windows really dont look too different..

google.

(god i hate doing that)

defrag? who does that these days with journalled FS and SSD? ;)
The unfortunate thing for Apple is they forked OS-X from FreeBSD before ZFS arrived for it. I really like FreeBSD and its ports system and ZFS is the dogs when it comes to filesystems.

also security software is debatable. youll probably find for example a lot of large business are now installing AV software on their macs.
The threats these days are browser and mail threats - people wanting you to enter your bank account details on fake websites because your "account has been suspended" or JS browser exploits. These are platform independant and, I'd argue, OS-X is more vulnerable simply because there is a lack of A/V and anti-malware targeting Macs.

toolbars only get installed if you click in stupid places..
You only get viruses if you click in stupid places too ;)

xp is one of the most reliable and stable OS ms have ever made.
But it is pretty pants when compared to Win7. But then I suspect if you loaded Apples O/S that was released in 2001 on a recent machine, that would be pants too. Oh... wait... you can't ;)

raw support just needs a codec.
Yes, and if I were using Aperture now, I wouldn't have any RAW support for my current camera. Come on Apple, get your act together....

you dont have to own an ugly pc theses days, make it how you want it.
I will agree that iMacs look nice, but give me function over form any day...

osx and windows really dont look too different..
Personally, I really don't like the UI from OS-X.

But what about the exercise of going down the store. And having to wait for the information. And missing out on the holy feeling from walking through the church doors....

(god i hate doing that)
Why?

The unfortunate thing for Apple is they forked OS-X from FreeBSD before ZFS arrived for it. I really like FreeBSD and its ports system and ZFS is the dogs when it comes to filesystems.

The threats these days are browser and mail threats - people wanting you to enter your bank account details on fake websites because your "account has been suspended" or JS browser exploits. These are platform independant and, I'd argue, OS-X is more vulnerable simply because there is a lack of A/V and anti-malware targeting Macs.

You only get viruses if you click in stupid places too ;)

But it is pretty pants when compared to Win7. But then I suspect if you loaded Apples O/S that was released in 2001 on a recent machine, that would be pants too. Oh... wait... you can't ;)

Yes, and if I were using Aperture now, I wouldn't have any RAW support for my current camera. Come on Apple, get your act together....

I will agree that iMacs look nice, but give me function over form any day...

Personally, I really don't like the UI from OS-X.

But what about the exercise of going down the store. And having to wait for the information. And missing out on the holy feeling from walking through the church doors....

Why?

yes.

yes.

yes.

no.

cabbage.

cuddly toy.

:geek:

I use a iMac at work and as the only place I can have it places it with a windows behind me and the reflections are awful. If you are in a reasonably dark room and have nothing like a windows behind you it will probably be OK.

Shiny screens are generally a bad idea though. Why else do you think LaCie, Eizo or NEC don't make a single high end professional monitor with a shiny screen? If it was better, do you not think the leading big three professional screen manufacturers would be doing it?

Academic though... if you want a iMac you have no choice. Your only choice would be a Mac Pro and source your own screen... but you'd have to be stupid to pay for a Mac Pro.

yep

1) no defragging

All mechanical hard drives will need defragging. Mac OS just does it this in the background without you realising.

LOL.. of course there is. The only reason Macs used to be immune to this was that no one wrote viruses or Malware for MacOS because they were such a small percentage of the market. Thanks to the halo effect of iproducts however, that is changing.. there are some perticularly pernicious viruses out there that effect MacOS and iOs... be warned. There's nothing about a Unix based OS that makes it inherently more secure than Windows.

3) security of a uni system, so I don't end up with a new firefox toolbar every time I set foot on the internet/quote]

Neither do I.

I agree with this to an extent. If you don't LIKE computers.. buy a Mac. If you're interested in them, buy a PC.

I can do this in Windows 7 ???

Can't comment as I do no audio production.

you can get some beautiful PC cases... very understated an elegant, and with mATX format motherboards, you can make them almost as small as a Mac mini and as powerful as a Mac Pro.

You can fully customise Windows. Here's my desktop.

Untitled-1-157.jpg

... I've taken the best from Win7 and the best from MacOS and made my own. You can't do that with MacOS.

Or a wealth of information off the internet for either without leaving your house :)

I'm not a mac fanboy though, I think there are some things about OSX that totally suck.

There are things about both that suck, but you are more able to do something about it in Windows.

Just thought I'd add some balance to that post.

Get what works best for you: Apple are best for an out of the box computer that will work without any knowledge whatsoever. PCs are better suited to those that aren't afraid to tinker a bit.

A bad PC will be terrible, bu a good PC will be a delight to use and far superior to a Mac... but building a good PC requires knowledge of what to build it out of. You can't really buy a decent PC... all off the shelf solutions are usually terrible, thus giving rise to the myth that PCs are terrible... hence I advise getting one custom built by a company that is enthusiastic about it.. like Scan... or build your own if you're confident enough.

Last edited:
Shiny screens are generally a bad idea though. Why else do you think LaCie, Eizo or NEC don't make a single high end professional monitor with a shiny screen? If it was better, do you not think the leading big three professional screen manufacturers would be doing it?

:clap:

All mechanical hard drives will need defragging. Mac OS just does it this in the background without you realising.

so does W7 (unless you have an SSD and quite rightly have disabled it) :)

Core-i7-3960X... Nice ;)

I give another thumbs up for the iMac. I bought my 27" last year. After I ordered it I thought what have I done, that screen is going to be to big in my living room. It's amazing how quick you get used to the size. Was always a Window person. But now I would never go back. If you choose an iMac I don't think you will be disappointed. Oh nearly forgot, I have never had problems with reflections.

Kath

Hi,

A fellow NEastner with a Big one like Mine.

Love the Mac for Photo editing and viewing photos.

Sorry for using your Reply as mine (if you know what I mean)

Regards.

and I am with Chappers who is with Yv, never have problems with reflection on the iMac screen.
Well that means we are probably more a**lly retentive umm... critical than you are.

Just because you don't have problems with something doesn't mean the problems don't exist for others...

:clap:

so does W7 (unless you have an SSD and quite rightly have disabled it) :)

By default it will have a schedule set to auto defrag yes. I turned it off as I have a SSD, but I always turned it off. Drives on a PC do NOT need constant defragging any more than any other machine.. it's a myth. I used to manually defrag once a month or so just because I wanted everything as smooth as can be. They were never more than 5% fragged. Mechanical HDDs only really start to get badly fragged when you are getting very full, or you constantly use hybernate a great deal with a small drive.

By default it will have a schedule set to auto defrag yes. I turned it off as I have a SSD, but I always turned it off. Drives on a PC do NOT need constant defragging any more than any other machine.. it's a myth. I used to manually defrag once a month or so just because I wanted everything as smooth as can be. They were never more than 5% fragged. Mechanical HDDs only really start to get badly fragged when you are getting very full, or you constantly use hybernate a great deal with a small drive.

indeed, interesting reading - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/...d-engineering-the-windows-7-improvements.aspx

ding76uk said:
Might be worth putting off any purchase til the end of the month as another Apple event is coming up.

Indeed it is and I'm getting ready to do my bit for the uk economy :D

New iMac announced last night with supposedly 75% less reflection due to laminated display and new anti glare coating. New fusion drive (128GB of flash storage mixed with 1 or 3GB HDD) sounds interesting or up to 768GB SSD if you prefer.

They made a big deal of how it's only 5mm thick at the edges... like it's a GOOD thing that they've done away with the optical drive. :shrug: Personally I couldn't care less how thick it is, my computer sits on my desk and I only look at the front. Still, it's hardly a deal breaker, every other spec looks just right for me... it's going on my Christmas list to myself!

New iMac announced last night with supposedly 75% less reflection due to laminated display and new anti glare coating. New fusion drive (128GB of flash storage mixed with 1 or 3GB HDD) sounds interesting or up to 768GB SSD if you prefer.

They made a big deal of how it's only 5mm thick at the edges... like it's a GOOD thing that they've done away with the optical drive. :shrug: Personally I couldn't care less how thick it is, my computer sits on my desk and I only look at the front. Still, it's hardly a deal breaker, every other spec looks just right for me... it's going on my Christmas list to myself!

Yep, Fusion sounds good, and couldn't agree more about making it thinner, seriously why?

Hadn't noticed the lack of optical drive, that seems a bit rash.

Still, I'm due to change machines this month, so I can wait a bit longer :)

The new iMac does look good, however not too happy about the removal of the CD drive on the new iMac. I still provide all my clients with images on CD.

Any quick/easy solutions to this?

The new iMac does look good, however not too happy about the removal of the CD drive on the new iMac. I still provide all my clients with images on CD.

Any quick/easy solutions to this?

Use an external drive, I do anyway as I use a blu-ray writer... it's not really a big deal.

As Flashman says an external writer if you need one. Apple Superdrive at around £65 or one of many others for about £30.

I found that the DVD drive in the iMac was not as fast as external ones, plus I prefer Toast as burning software anyway

QUOTE="Flashman"]

Use an external drive, I do anyway as I use a blu-ray writer... it's not really a big deal.[/QUOTE]

Chappers said:
As Flashman says an external writer if you need one. Apple Superdrive at around £65 or one of many others for about £30.

I found that the DVD drive in the iMac was not as fast as external ones, plus I prefer Toast as burning software anyway

Thanks. I will have to add that to the shopping list.

It astounds me that you are all happy to be ripped off by apple yet again. They sell you an over priced platform and they do away with a vital bit of equipment only to try and pursuade you to splash out more cash on a shiney apple branded external drive. All under the guise of a flatter monitor (what is the point!). Why oh why you buy into the apple brand is beyond me. Still each to their own I guess :)

Rich

Richmate said:
It astounds me that you are all happy to be ripped off by apple yet again. They sell you an over priced platform and they do away with a vital bit of equipment only to try and pursuade you to splash out more cash on a shiney apple branded external drive. All under the guise of a flatter monitor (what is the point!). Why oh why you buy into the apple brand is beyond me. Still each to their own I guess :)

Rich

It astounds me that people aren't able to make their own choices....

You may not like it, but I (and many others) love the ease of use for iOS and OSX, I love that there's no fiddling and no need to worry about every little thing.

If ease of use, better support and less issues with hardware and software means I'm being ripped off, bring it on!

It astounds me that people aren't able to make their own choices....

You may not like it, but I (and many others) love the ease of use for iOS and OSX, I love that there's no fiddling and no need to worry about every little thing.

If ease of use, better support and less issues with hardware and software means I'm being ripped off, bring it on!

Im not saying that people shouldnt make their own choices. They should do exactly that:)

I completely agree that if you like the look of it and you are happy to pay the premium then absoulutely fine(y)

I just find the arguments about having a MAC baseless. Such as "every little thing" what is actually meant by that. I have a pc and I dont worry about every little thing, Ive had no more hardware issues then many Mac owners I know (quite alot less in my experience) and my computer has always been stable.

There seems to be a perception that PC's are unreliable. It's true alot are but I believe this is down to that fact that a majority of the PC's are cheap low end models which are built with cheap parts. Some unstability may arise from the fact that they are put together by someone who is not fully qualified, they are tampered with (overclocked) or generally used and abused.

I bought my PC from a reputable dealer and put together professionally. It cost me around £1000 (which is much cheaper than the equivalent MAC spec wise) and I have had none of these so called hardware issues that are meant to plague PC's. I get fantastic support should I require it, and it is "stable".

I guess what I am trying to say is that if you are going to compare a MAC against a PC you need to compare like for like. If you did that I think the PC would be the better option. But again everyone is entitled to their own opinion. :)

Rich (y)

I'm surprised to see so many people recommending the glossy screens - these are really not reliable for colour and tonal fidelity. My MBP at home has a matte screen so that I can actually trust it, and at work (I work in film post production) you would never find a single glossy screen being used by any of the artists.

Richmate said:
Im not saying that people shouldnt make their own choices. They should do exactly that:)

I completely agree that if you like the look of it and you are happy to pay the premium then absoulutely fine(y)

I just find the arguments about having a MAC baseless. Such as "every little thing" what is actually meant by that. I have a pc and I dont worry about every little thing, Ive had no more hardware issues then many Mac owners I know (quite alot less in my experience) and my computer has always been stable.

There seems to be a perception that PC's are unreliable. It's true alot are but I believe this is down to that fact that a majority of the PC's are cheap low end models which are built with cheap parts. Some unstability may arise from the fact that they are put together by someone who is not fully qualified, they are tampered with (overclocked) or generally used and abused.

I bought my PC from a reputable dealer and put together professionally. It cost me around £1000 (which is much cheaper than the equivalent MAC spec wise) and I have had none of these so called hardware issues that are meant to plague PC's. I get fantastic support should I require it, and it is "stable".

I guess what I am trying to say is that if you are going to compare a MAC against a PC you need to compare like for like. If you did that I think the PC would be the better option. But again everyone is entitled to their own opinion. :)

Rich (y)

You're so lucky!!!

I've had so many issues, most of them unable to be fixed properly, had no service even though I paid extra for additional support, and been plagued by issues. We'll soon see if its just me! I pick up my iMac tomorrow :LOL:

indeed. show me a good design/media studio that uses glossy screens.

LaCie, NEC or Eizo... the big hitters in professional graphics displays. None of them make a shiny screen in their high end professional ranges.

Let's just leave it at that shall we.

Well after waiting what seemed ages I have finally got my first iMac just settling in with it at the moment mouse seems strange wondering if the trackpad would be better can you use one of those pen things with it ? can you tell I am not very tech savy I am very pleased with it at the moment not to difficult to pick up thank you agian to everybody for your helpful feedback

Well after waiting what seemed ages I have finally got my first iMac just settling in with it at the moment mouse seems strange wondering if the trackpad would be better can you use one of those pen things with it ? can you tell I am not very tech savy I am very pleased with it at the moment not to difficult to pick up thank you agian to everybody for your helpful feedback

If you are happy thats all that matters, imacs/pc's fall into Rangers/Celtic, City/United, Canon/Nikon, Fender/Gibson, it fires people up to be aggressive supporters of their favoured brand as you can see from above :) They both do great jobs rest assured, and if it works for you thats all that matters! Enjoy

You don't have to use the Mac magic mouse... I don't like it either and use a Logitech mouse. I use a Trackpad too, it doesn't have to be either/or, you can have both connected simultaneously. It you want to use a pen you need a tablet (Wacom are the most popular)... Indispensable for serious retouching, I wouldn't be without mine!

I use them both and must say that after not using the mouse for ages I decided to stay with it and glad I did. I hardly ever use the track pad now. Once you get used to the finger swipes and gestures on the mouse it's fantastic.

Just a point on the missing optical disc drive - I too am surprised Apple have eliminated this - I have the last version of iMac 27" and I love it and I use it all the time to watch DVDs in stunning quality - we don't even have a TV because any DVD looks great on the iMac. Although it wouldn't impact it's use for my photography, this would stop me upgrading. I have no doubt that the optical drive will become obsolete soon with so much streaming content available, but getting rid of the optical drive already seems a little too soon for me, when even normal DVDs still have a good few years in them.

Tbh I thought I was really going to miss the SuperDrive in the new iMac but since getting an external bluray and DVD drive, I'm finding burning discs is now quicker compared to the internal drive in my current iMac.

Back