Apple Keynote

It's just a pain to add on with all the security issues. I only really use it for cyberduck so I gave up using cyberduck. The available security options didn't allow just having java for a small list of specified apps. It was all or nothing.

Interesting as I use cyberduck a fair bit.

I think it looks great, the memory 'share' thing looks good as too does battery life. Plus, it's FREE!!

The iPad is smaller faster and lighter, the pro range got the update it needed. Not really sure what people seriously expect, what waves were you expecting or wanting?

Without wanting to turn it into a mac v PC argument, was windows 8 a wave maker?

Id expect it to be free, look at prior upgrades; difference between Lion and Leopard was huge for example.
I dont know because I dont know what R&D theyre doing, it just seems to me that at the minute theyre just making things lighter/thinner and adding retina displays and apparently thats OK.

Ive never actually used Windows 8 so I cant make too many comments on it but it does seem like it, whether that was seen as good or bad by people is a different matter but at least they wanted to take the risk. Apple used to take risks but seems like theyre reluctant to now.

Just a heads up guys.

Looks like if you own Aperture 3, iLife 11 or iWork 09 you'll get the updates for free. Just installing the updates for mine - not sure if it's because my iMac is 11 months old though? (Basing it on the serial ID of the machine)

iWork 09 updated, but they send the individual apps not a package as in iWork. So you have to find them in the Apps folder if you want to use them from the task bar.

iMac updated fine overnight. Just updating elderly MacBook Pro before I do it younger brother. Can't seem to do just one download and then populate other machines, boring. Some Apps do seem to run faster, although it could be my imagination

Id expect it to be free, look at prior upgrades; difference between Lion and Leopard was huge for example.
I dont know because I dont know what R&D theyre doing, it just seems to me that at the minute theyre just making things lighter/thinner and adding retina displays and apparently thats OK.

Ive never actually used Windows 8 so I cant make too many comments on it but it does seem like it, whether that was seen as good or bad by people is a different matter but at least they wanted to take the risk. Apple used to take risks but seems like theyre reluctant to now.

To be fair they did take some stick with the redesign of ios7 - i dont think you can keep taking risks each time you launch something, if it works you just tweak and update. You could alienate the majority of customers by making huge changes all the time.

Not seen Windows hence my question.

iWork 09 updated, but they send the individual apps not a package as in iWork. So you have to find them in the Apps folder if you want to use them from the task bar.

iMac updated fine overnight. Just updating elderly MacBook Pro before I do it younger brother. Can't seem to do just one download and then populate other machines, boring. Some Apps do seem to run faster, although it could be my imagination

I updated my desktop last night, and copied the Maverick app to a USB stick and used it to update my macbook this morning.

App speed is noticeable, even on this 27'' things would be a bit slow to load (i.e. iPhoto would take around 1.5 seconds but it now pops up instantly)
Everything just seems snappy for some reason, quite chuffed, although it's taking me hours as I performed an overhaul yesterday (installed the HDD + SSD kit)
I'm also tempted with an AppleTV now, reason being that I've owned a squeezebox for years and love it but if I can do dual displays it would mean I can stream directly from the iMac to the AppleTV instead of using the PS3 (which I setup for DLNA) plus it would mean I can then use all the other airplay features etc. Decisions decisions...

I ordered a new 27" iMac last week. It's due for delivery on Monday - Wednesday next week. I wonder if it'll come with Mavericks or Mountain Lion :thinking:

Currently at Covent garden store trying to decide on the £1499 model or to order online and upgrade ram to 16gb. While more is better, is 16gb really needed?

Exactly, anything boxed will still have ML I would imagine. Simon, it depends on what you're going to use the mac for, if it's every day stuff then 8GB should suit nicely while 16gb would be handy for any RAM intensive apps so you just need to look at the software you use and what hardware it requires in the long run :)

Well, didnt get one from the store. while 8gb will be fine for now, I plan to keep this for at least 4 years (current one is 4.5 years old) I just had that nagging feeling to get 16gb. Shame I have to order online as have some free time for next few days which could have been spent playing!

Currently at Covent garden store trying to decide on the £1499 model or to order online and upgrade ram to 16gb. While more is better, is 16gb really needed?

8GB is minimum TODAY. In 4 years you will regret, I suspect you will be ebaying it before that. I manage to eat through 16GB without any real effort

Heads-up that you'll need Mavericks 10.9 to run the new version of Keynote (6.0) that's out today.

How long is this thing supposed to take to install?? Started 70 minutes ago saying that there was 42 minutes remaining and has varied between 40 and 32 minutes since. It's now jumped to 71 minutes!!!

I have 4GB RAM on my Air and it works perfectly with Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom. If I couldve got more memory I would have but ultimately 8GB will be enough for those kind of tasks, 16GB more than enough and then anything else probably wouldnt even be used.

upgrade then, they can take a little while depending what you have installed etc

Well it's dropped back down to 40 minutes now and the status bar has leapt to about 2/3 so hopefully not too much longer.

and lots of updates to complete following the install.

Wifey doesn't like the new calendar. It's my fault so I'm in the poo again.

Ok, finally done. an someone tell me the difference between this and Snow Leopard? :thinking:

I can see Maps and iBooks and the dock (base) looks slightly different but other hat that and a different wallpaper, it looks pretty much the same. :shrug:

My update took about 55 mins to execute after it downloaded.

Rather long Tea break.

There are improvement to memory management, plus it gives longer battery life. Tabs in Finder plus I think my machines are running a bit faster and snapier. Have had similar comments from other upgraders.

There is a demo at the presentation that Apple did yesterday here's the link

http://www.apple.com/apple-events/october-2013/

It's about 12.00 mins in I think

Last edited:
Looking forward to updating my 2012 spec iMac when I get home on Friday, I've noticed it slowing down a little of late and since the last update to ML about a month ago it can take a lot longer than normal to go to sleep after the button has been clicked.

Ok, finally done. an someone tell me the difference between this and Snow Leopard? :thinking: I can see Maps and iBooks and the dock (base) looks slightly different but other hat that and a different wallpaper, it looks pretty much the same. :shrug:

If you want the fullest possible review of what's new, John Siracusa on Ars Techica does an amazingly detailed job as usual - it is 24 pages long, though :)

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/10/os-x-10-9/

No software activation issues with ps or plugins ?

Been running for a day, everything works fine, no problems with anything PS related or anything else for that matter.

System does feel slicker (as someone mentioned), I'm also getting around 500 increase on my geek bench score :)

Screen-Shot-2013-10-24-at-01.15.45.jpg

Seen some tests run, roughly 3 hours extra battery on a 2013 13" MBA, or 25%. Even an old 2007 MBP saw a 30 min increase or 16%.

Almost makes me wish I had a battery powered Mac!

Wifey's white macbook is much more responsive after the update. Thank goodness!

The only thing I've found that doesn't work in 10.9, is OnyX utility (2.7.4), I suspect there will be an update for Mavericks coming along?

Did the upgrade today after only today noticing there was a new OS.... the Keynote was interesting and I have to say, the way apple makes these event 'special' is a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine. They've totally sold their marketing to me - I'm a sucker :)

Anyway, Mavericks seems a tad different from 10.7 Lion but nothing groundbreaking yet. Definitely seeing changes to the power consumption... charging up is taking ages, as if I now have a massive battery.

I know it was on 10.8, but I love the notifications panel in the top left.

Safari is a bit glitchy, minuscule freezes when scrolling.

Been running for a few days and everything running fine except the indexing seems all t'cock at times. As an example if I open a folder of images, I can preview the images instantly (as icons) if the sort by is set to 'name' or 'none' , but if I try and sort by 'date added' or 'date modified' then it can take unto 10 seconds before the sort is complete. Under previous OSX it was almost instant , whichever sort method used, especially if folders were on second SSD.

It's not a huge issue, but a little niggle at times, and everything else slick & smooth.

Been looking at the newish maps app for Mac OS, and am completely underwhelmed by it, not a patch on Google maps, although Apples is more recent (google still has my previous motor from 2+ years ago)

Apple on left, Google on right

Screen-Shot-2013-10-28-at-11.18.44.jpg

Back