Apple Watch

Ricardodaforce

Self requested ban
Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
So today's the day. Whatever you think of iPhones, I think this thing will shake up the watch market. Interested or not?

Will it shake up the watch market?

I don't need to know instantly that a friend is going to the toilet or any other banal facts either, in any case, most of my friends don't feel the need to share every instant of their lives either.

I don't doubt it will have an impact, for some. For others, who don't need to share everything contemporaneously, no it wont....

Will it shake up the watch market?

I don't need to know instantly that a friend is going to the toilet or any other banal facts either, in any case, most of my friends don't feel the need to share every instant of their lives either.

I don't doubt it will have an impact, for some. For others, who don't need to share everything contemporaneously, no it wont....

I'm much more interested in finding out about its health monitoring aspects.

I'm much more interested in finding out about its health monitoring aspects.

Really? I can get far more information, and reliably from my Doctor, that is far cheaper to. Of course when he tells me that I am dying not in fact suffering from Ebola, although the symptoms are similar in early stages to flu, he can also re assure me I am not suffering from a how host of other illnesses to. iwatch going to do that?

I have asked him what time it is when seeing him, so he can fore fill that function as well. But it is true he doesn't take messages for me.

Really? I can get far more information, and reliably from my Doctor, that is far cheaper to. Of course when he tells me that I am dying not in fact suffering from Ebola, although the symptoms are similar in early stages to flu, he can also re assure me I am not suffering from a how host of other illnesses to. iwatch going to do that?

I have asked him what time it is when seeing him, so he can fore fill that function as well. But it is true he doesn't take messages for me.

I would have thought that having a heart rate monitor would be helpful for some people
I won't be getting the apple watch but if you're into that sort of thing why not?

Really pleased for you. While you're there get him to check out your overactive smugness gland.

I thought the health monitoring capabilities had been removed or reduced significantly?

Really pleased for you. While you're there get him to check out your overactive smugness gland.

No smugness involved. You mentioned it's health benefits, I simply pointed out the folly of some of the perceptions around that.

Anyway, you asked for thoughts. If you aren't going to like the answers, don't ask the questions.

As it happens, I agree it will change the watch industry, because everyone will be trying to cram a whole host of useless apps into a device that I want to tell me the time.

Last edited:
I've been using my LG R Watch since December, I can't say if it's worth the money to everybody but if I lost it I'd buy another :)

I wonder how long the battery will last on a single charge?

It's launching in April. So today is the day we find out how much of the last launch was "pure advertising hyperbole".

I think they will sell plenty and I bet it's gorgeous. But I still think it's a fundamentally misguided product and has more to do with tying phone users in to the Apple brand than providing anything people genuinely want.

BTW you can buy a wrist mounted HRM that syncs with a Smart phone for less than 70 quid. And that's one that exists.

I really cannot see the point in this at all, honestly of you seriously need a heart rate monitor or any health monitor far better to get one that is actually made for that purpose...honestly if anyone believes this will have an affect on the actually watch market they're seriously deluded....mainly as phones have already killed the watch market for those that wear them purely as a time piece, the watch market now is purely a style choice market for people that wear a watch because they like how it looks

I really cannot see the point in this at all, honestly of you seriously need a heart rate monitor or any health monitor far better to get one that is actually made for that purpose...honestly if anyone believes this will have an affect on the actually watch market they're seriously deluded....mainly as phones have already killed the watch market for those that wear them purely as a time piece, the watch market now is purely a style choice market for people that wear a watch because they like how it looks

People said the same about the iPod, and that is the product that turned Apple from a near bankrupt company to one of the most profitable in history.

People said the same about the iPod, and that is the product that turned Apple from a near bankrupt company to one of the most profitable in history.

I don't think they did at all...

Did they?
When?

I don't think they did at all...

Oh there was plenty! Some snippets:-

A MacRumors commenter, October, 2001:

“Sounds very revolutionary to me. hey – heres an idea Apple – rather than enter the world of gimmicks and toys, why dont you spend a little more time sorting out your pathetically expensive and crap server line up? or are you really aiming to become a glorified consumer gimmicks firm?”

Another:

“Mmmm. APPL is already down $1.00…

Looks like the markets aren’t looking too favorably on Apple’s new forays into the digital device market.
Of course the iPod is cool, neat, whatever. You wouldn’t expect anything less from Apple. But I agree with most on this forum. $400 is simply too much in the present economic climate. One other thing. I’d like to know what their margins for the iPod are…”

A prescient comment from Slashdot:

“Keep in mind it’s $400 right now becuase the Apple Fanatics will have to have one. They’ll pay anything for the latest cool toy from Apple. In 6 months, hopefully the rest of us will be buying the 20GB version for $200.”

And one more from MacRumors, which Hacker News had a lot of fun with and which could not have been written in any year not known as 2001:

“I have a cd walkman and a burner already, and besides that now that I don’t have a dotcom job anymore I need that $400 to pay car payments and rent.”

None of this proves anything about the iPad, per se. But it does go to show that snapshot tech punditry is not always the most accurate gauge of the future.

Apple's iPod spurs mixed reactions

“I still can’t believe this!” fumed one fan. “All this hype for something so ridiculous! Who cares about an MP3 player? I want something new! I want them to think differently! Why oh why would they do this?! It’s so wrong! It’s so stupid!”

“Hey — here’s an idea Apple — rather than enter the world of gimmicks and toys, why don’t you spend a little more time sorting out your pathetically expensive and crap server line up?” said another. “Or are you really aiming to become a glorified consumer gimmicks firm?”

“All that hype for an MP3 player?” ranted another. “Break-thru digital device? The Reality Distiortion Field™ is starting to warp Steve’s mind if he thinks for one second that this thing is gonna take off.”

Did they?
When?
See my other post. I was seconded to IBM at the time and I remember the derision it was received with by 'techies' very well. People thought it was miles behind the Creative offering of the time (Nomad I think).

EDIT

The macrumors link is a brilliant collection of reactions at the time of launch. Causes me many chuckles.

Last edited by a moderator:

I thought that was arranging their tax affairs so they didn't pay any/much....

I thought that was arranging their tax affairs so they didn't pay any/much....

Well, they didn't have to bother before - they didn't earn much profit before the days of the iPod / iPhone!!

apples-net-profits.png

I'm constantly amazed how fast threads are wrecked on this forum lately.

A friend at work is eager for one so I am happy for him.
I wear an analogue watch so its not for me but the technology is funky.

Indeed.

I'll be watching the announcement and are very interested in getting one.

I've been using my pebble a fair bit, but do notice the limitation in being an output device only. Besides the time/date it is great for getting directions when walking in unknown areas, or the latest update on tubes, or seeing that text message. All without having to whip out your phone in a situation where it may not be safe to do so, or weather conditions don't allow. I really like the complementary nature of such a device

However, for me battery life needs to be five days minimum. I wouldn't want to have to charge it every single day.

We will see later.

Heres another link that made me chuckle. Steve Jobs introducing the iPhone. Fast forward to 16:02 to see the reaction to the inertial scrolling. Amazing to think this was only 8 years ago and something that made people laugh and cheer has become so commonplace and expected.

iPhone Keynote 2007

As long as I look like this while wearing the iWatch, then perhaps I might consider it. Actually, having thought about it, will it have facetime on it?

samwatch.png

I'll be watching the announcement and are very interested in getting one.

I've been using my pebble a fair bit, but do notice the limitation in being an output device only. Besides the time/date it is great for getting directions when walking in unknown areas, or the latest update on tubes, or seeing that text message. All without having to whip out your phone in a situation where it may not be safe to do so, or weather conditions don't allow. I really like the complementary nature of such a device

However, for me battery life needs to be five days minimum. I wouldn't want to have to charge it every single day.

We will see later.

Charging - needs to be wireless charging really. Cable tethering on such a small device means bespoke connector or mini usb, I doubt it'll be lightning. If it was wireless then charging wouldn't be an issue. leave it on a pad/holder overnight, perhaps next to the bed so you can use it as an alarm.

I'm happy with my seiko though. Just jumped ship from Apple to Android

Last edited:
In 2 minds, I wrote off the ipad when launched only to buy one a few weeks later!!! I am not sure if the 1st version will tempt me, but am sure more functionality in later models will help. Part of it will be a fashion statement and part will be tech driven. Cant see it being as big as the ipod, or ipad, but think it will be a decent seller and profitable line.

Charging - needs to be wireless charging really. Cable tethering on such a small device means bespoke connector or mini usb, I doubt it'll be lightning. If it was wireless then charging wouldn't be an issue. leave it on a pad/holder overnight, perhaps next to the bed so you can use it as an alarm.

I'm happy with my seiko though. Just jumped ship from Apple to Android

What makes you think it won't be lightning? It seems fit for purpose - small durable and reasonably environmentally sealed.

Well, they didn't have to bother before - they didn't earn much profit before the days of the iPod / iPhone!!

apples-net-profits.png

Yep. Profits took off right around the time of the iPhone. Flat for 3 years following the iPod launch. In fact, the rise started almost exactly at the time of the online iTunes store.

But it's a good point on the servers though. I wonder when they will actually fix their networking?

Android!!! :exit::whistle:

Or even better:

AA Road Atlas
Nokia 3310
Camera
Swiss watch

Probably cheaper and who needs anything else, right? :D

zombie-headsmasher.jpg

What makes you think it won't be lightning? It seems fit for purpose - small durable and reasonably environmentally sealed.
It would see the obvious choice, but won't that push the watch to be thicker, or is iphone thick ok for a watch. I put a lightning connector up against my normal watch and it looked large.

I think the watch will be quite chunky, I look at my watch as an example and think more where can the plug go without it being visible and it must be underneath. I think maybe a small cradle which it sits in with pins that fit into holes underneath.

AND it's spot on twice a day!

Back