Apple Watch

I have background gps on a lot due to having the Tado thing. It's not actually that bad. Most of the time the Tado app uses single digits worth of battery power so it isn't really impacting much. I do have most apps prevented from background app updating and notifications. Those really drain battery.

I agree with the comment above about the strap being a prime location for an extended battery. I'm guessing that if we've thought of that, Apple have already done the same and ruled it out. I can only assume that the concern over constantly flexing joints between lipo cells is too much of a risk. The last thing Apple want is exploding watch straps :0)

Yeah they pretty much knew that today was going to be all about "how much??" and "18 hours?!?". If there's a way they could have made it last longer they would have done it. And if Apple can't do it, it's probably impossible.

I agree with the comment above about the strap being a prime location for an extended battery. I'm guessing that if we've thought of that, Apple have already done the same and ruled it out. I can only assume that the concern over constantly flexing joints between lipo cells is too much of a risk. The last thing Apple want is exploding watch straps :0)
Yeah they pretty much knew that today was going to be all about "how much??" and "18 hours?!?". If there's a way they could have made it last longer they would have done it. And if Apple can't do it, it's probably impossible.

I don't necessarily disagree with that conclusion. We will have to see about the actual user experience with such battery life. I know most of us are used to a day out of a smart phone but this isn't a smart phone.

Likewise Apple didn't get into the smart phone game until they were able to make a real difference. I'm failing to see that here for now. At the moment it looks to have the same compromises like everyone else.

Impossible doesn't exist in my dictionary. Not yet found a way of doing it is more likely. But hey undoubtedly it will be a sales success.

There will be a rush by some to get one. But it might not be a lasting sales success. Most people consider they need a smartphone. This is not the case with a watch. We've got used to not wearing one. It has to offer something compelling for it to be a persistent sales success.

Last edited:
I think they will sell a lot because people have stopped wearing watches and using there phone to tell the time.
This will now make the same group of people have a head explosion :)

Apples first iPod wasn't that good, neither was their first iPhone...
Maybe I should wait for Apple Watch gen2 :)

Impossible doesn't exist in my dictionary. Not yet found a way of doing it is more likely. But hey undoubtedly it will be a sales success.

All of that is true. "Impossible" is short hand for "too expensive at the current time" ;)

Well, Samsung's Gear S lasts two to three days and Pebble are making one using an e-ink display and can get a week out of one. Apple playing catch up as usual with their tech, just on the fore-front of marketing.

People slagged off the original Imac, then the Ipod, then the Iphone (well, less so the phone, but you get the idea). Thinking about it people where not kind to the original Apple TV, or the Apple Air. Now the watch...

Here's the thing - I know plenty of well off designers and exercise freaks who will snap this up. I have no doubt it will be successful. Does anyone need it? No, but I think plenty will want one. And at £300 its a good price when you consider many are happy to spend £600 on an iphone.

And even if it fails.....Apple will just relaunch a new one with more feature at a lower cost. Hell....Apple could afford to make a loss and still make a ton of cash though the Apps.

£300 is the cheap plastic one. Isn't the metal one the one to have £479-£949

so whats the difference between the sport and the apple watch edition. The gubbins inside i mean

other than the strap - i assume theres more power or somat right?

because, come on now nobody would just charge £180 for a different strap and a stainless steel case - not even apple. Right?

so whats the difference between the sport and the apple watch edition. The gubbins inside i mean

other than the strap - i assume theres more power or somat right?

because, come on now nobody would just charge £180 for a different strap and a stainless steel case - not even apple. Right?

Wrong.

The new Macbook only has one connector as well as a shoddy processor and it's still over a grand. So you can either charge it, *or* plug in a usb device.. You can of course, buy add on ports for $79 a pop...

And people will buy both the watch and the new macbook in droves, such as the power of marketing.

So the £180 extra is for the stainless steel case only?

Good luck to them if they can dupe people into paying that then.

I would class the Core-M as a shoddy processor. It is very good at what it needs to do. Nothing wrong with it for the fast majority of people.

There are other differences between the phones besides the casing and the strap. What springs to mind without looking for it is the type of glass being used. And I'm sure there were a few other differences as well.

They are all limited to just 18 hours though. I guess it won't be able to do any sleep analysis despite all the great healthcare apps.

Looks a bit chunky compared to it's surface area size, very expensive and I can't imagine looking at my watch to find out the battery is depleted!

I like the fact that I get up in the morning and put my watch back on my wrist without a single thought, it just works!

For innovation the route that Kairos are going down looks excellent (OLED overlay on mechanical watch), for design I really like the Moto 360 (Champagne metal looks oddly appealing), although I do wish the black edge at the bottom would disappear, or the LG Urbane for that matter!

Now if there is a second-gen Moto 360 thats a bit more refined in size and lasts longer than 2 days on a charge I'll possibly be tempted, although my main point still stands of course lol

Champagne-Moto-360-1-631x282.jpg

lg_watch_urbane_ndtv_1.jpg

I wonder if any kind of kinetic charging could be built into one to extend battery life?

Doubt it would provide sufficient charge, at least current iterations...

I would class the Core-M as a shoddy processor. It is very good at what it needs to do. Nothing wrong with it for the fast majority of people.

There are other differences between the phones besides the casing and the strap. What springs to mind without looking for it is the type of glass being used. And I'm sure there were a few other differences as well.

They are all limited to just 18 hours though. I guess it won't be able to do any sleep analysis despite all the great healthcare apps.

I think the 18hrs is for the smaller watch size, with the larger watch giving more battery life. But no numbers on the apple site to say how much more.

I think the 18hrs is for the smaller watch size, with the larger watch giving more battery life. But no numbers on the apple site to say how much more.

It's interesting how little info Apple are giving about this.

Some people saying "bigger watches must have bigger batteries" others saying "bigger watches = bigger screens = shorter battery life". (I *think* the Sony Z3 compact has longer battery life than its bigger brother for example)

And lots of people saying that the more expensive watches must have some extra stuff inside the case. I think they underestimate Apple's marketing power ;)

It's interesting how little info Apple are giving about this.

Some people saying "bigger watches must have bigger batteries" others saying "bigger watches = bigger screens = shorter battery life". (I *think* the Sony Z3 compact has longer battery life than its bigger brother for example)

And lots of people saying that the more expensive watches must have some extra stuff inside the case. I think they underestimate Apple's marketing power ;)

Their actual words:-

A 42mm Apple Watch typically experiences longer battery life.

But that is as vague as it can possibly be.....

More details on their battery assumptions:-

General Battery Information

Apple Watch is so capable you’ll want to wear it all day long. So we made sure we gave it a battery that lasts all day, too. Our goal for battery life was 18 hours after an overnight charge, factoring in things like checking the time, receiving notifications, using apps, and doing a 30-minute workout. And because everyone will use Apple Watch differently, we tested several other metrics as well.

Apple Watch battery testing was conducted by Apple in March 2015 using preproduction Apple Watch and software paired with an iPhone using preproduction software. Battery life varies by use, configuration, and many other factors; actual results will vary.

All-Day Battery Life
Up to 18 hours
Testing conducted by Apple in March 2015 using preproduction Apple Watch and software paired with an iPhone using preproduction software. All-day battery life is based on 18 hours with the following use: 90 time checks, 90 notifications, 45 minutes of app use, and a 30-minute workout with music playback from Apple Watch via Bluetooth, over the course of 18 hours. Battery life varies by use, configuration, and many other factors; actual results will vary.

Talk Time Test
Up to 3 hours
Testing conducted by Apple in March 2015 using preproduction Apple Watch and software paired with an iPhone using preproduction software with a call placed from Apple Watch. Battery life varies by use, configuration, and many other factors; actual results will vary.

Audio Playback Test
Up to 6.5 hours
Testing conducted by Apple in March 2015 using preproduction Apple Watch and software paired with an iPhone using preproduction software with music playback from Apple Watch via Bluetooth. Battery life varies by use, configuration, and many other factors; actual results will vary.

Workout Test
Up to 6.5 hours
Testing conducted by Apple in March 2015 using preproduction Apple Watch and software paired with an iPhone using preproduction software with a workout session active and the heart rate sensor on. Battery life varies by use, configuration, and many other factors; actual results will vary.

Watch Test
Up to 48 hours
Testing conducted by Apple in March 2015 using preproduction Apple Watch and software paired with an iPhone using preproduction software with 5 time checks (4 seconds each) per hour. Battery life varies by use, configuration, and many other factors; actual results will vary.

Power Reserve
Up to 72 hours
If your battery gets too low, Apple Watch automatically switches into Power Reserve mode so you can continue to see the time for up to 72 hours. Testing conducted by Apple in March 2015 using preproduction Apple Watch and software with 4 time checks (4 seconds each) per hour. Battery life varies by use, configuration, and many other factors; actual results will vary.

Charge Time
About 1.5 hours to 80%
About 2.5 hours to 100%

Testing conducted by Apple in March 2015 using preproduction Apple Watch and software paired with an iPhone using preproduction software. Charge times are from 0% to 80% and from 0% to 100% using the included MagSafe inductive charger. Charge time varies with environmental factors; actual results will vary.

PS regarding the expensive versions. It wouldn't surprise me if Apple have kept some of the extra functionality to be released at future date, e.g. the gold watches can have the internals upgraded.

Nice - hadn't seen that explanation. That's a lot better news than "18 hours life". Not least for Ms Turlington Burns who can take it easy at the London Marathon :D

This is all based on Apple's version of your average days use, in reality as a new gadget you'll be checking it, playing with it and showing it off far more often. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the battery lasted only 75% of their claimed time...

The iPhone 5S has the following claims, of which I know of nobody who can reach anywhere near those quoted runtime stats..

• Talktime: 10hrs on 3G
  • Standby: 250hrs
  • Internet use: 8hrs on 3G, 10hrs on 4G, 10hrs on WiFi
  • Video Playback: up to 10hrs
  • Audio Playback: Up to 40hrs

Apple Store is currently down pending updates. When it comes back up you can order your watch I believe.

Back