Apple Watch

Bugger! Missed that!!!

See my other post. I was seconded to IBM at the time and I remember the derision it was received with by 'techies' very well. People thought it was miles behind the Creative offering of the time (Nomad .

IBM what do they know about computers ?

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." -- Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.

IBM what do they know about computers ?

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." -- Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.

Would be an interesting quote if he actually said it!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Ten THOUSAND dollars for the gold one. Nicely done, Apple.

It was published, in an academic journal I have the full reference somewhere.

Id be interested in seeing where they sourced it from, because nobody has found any evidence that Watson said it at all. It is very commonly attributed to him so I wouldn't be surprised that the author incorrectly used the quote without knowing it is incorrect.

18 hours battery life. Hmm that sucks to me. I've already got too many gadgets that need charging. I want a full week battery life like my Pebble b

Just catching up with the keynote....anybody think the 18 hour battery life is a little, um, limiting?

That's also based on not actually using it - specs I've seen say 3.5 hours light use and 2.5 hours heavy use. So if you want to use the sports mode and go running for an hour at lunchtime you have used up nearly half the battery life. Hmm. Maybe handy for Kenyan marathon runners but I really think the much hyped sports use is going to be absolutely crippled by that battery.

18 hours battery life. Hmm that sucks to me. I've already got too many gadgets that need charging. I want a full week battery life like my Pebble b

Posts crossed - but that isn't really anything like 18 hours.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Ten THOUSAND dollars for the gold one. Nicely done, Apple.

Hmm, let me see. A classsic IWC in rose gold, or a gold apple watch.....?

18 hours between charges isn't that great either.

Id be interested in seeing where they sourced it from, because nobody has found any evidence that Watson said it at all. It is very commonly attributed to him so I wouldn't be surprised that the author incorrectly used the quote without knowing it is incorrect.

You may well be right, it was some time ago that I read it. Didn't IBM also question if the microchip was of any use ?

You may well be right, it was some time ago that I read it. Didn't IBM also question if the microchip was of any use ?

I have seen the quote, but I think it may have a similar history of being created in the usenet days. One (slightly relevant) amusing quote that can be verified (i think..):-

"There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance."
Steve Ballmer, CEO of Microsoft, 2007.

Not for me :nono:

I love my seamaster and am trying to cut down the constant checking in with technology just for the sake of it. Having my wrist vibrate to inform me that someones bothered to find me on Facebook is something I can do without

18 hours ?
for real, wow one thing i was thinking today was apple realy need to make the battery good.

Sorry Apple, massive apple fan but its a rip off! £859 for the stainless steel bracelet???? Functionality is pretty limited, and unlike a normal watch it will be obsolete in a few years.

Some people will buy one because it's an Apple. Many will buy it just to be seen wearing it regardless of the price. We've seen it all before.

But 18 hours is not bad. People accept the disastrous battery life of smart phones. Charge it every night and you'll get by. As long as you don't forget.

Last edited:
What ever happened to a good solid stainless steel Breitling? 8k for the gold is a complete PR stunt and you know Damn well that Kanye and Kim will be the first to them - maybe she can it to use and sort out that disgusting rear end she keeps showing off. Moto 360 is the best imho - looks, weight and price are what is key. We know Damn well that the majority will buy the Apple watch though. Then there will be the for sale threads on AVForums !!!!

Some people will buy one because it's an Apple. Many will buy it just to be seen wearing it regardless of the price. We've seen it all before.

But 18 hours is not bad. People accept the disastrous battery life of smart phones. Charge it every night and you'll get by. As long as you don't forget.
18 hours not bad? Seriously? My old pebble lasts a whole week. I think it is a shocking battery life for a watch.

The Apple watch was never going to match the battery life of a pebble in the same way an iPhone will die before a Nokia 7210. They're different tech and the apple watch offers much more (in graphical/usage terms) than the pebble so there has to be some realism in the battery expectations.

As an Apple user across the board in my house I've been interested in the watch since it was first announced and strangely, so has my wife but the price has definitely put me off for the time being.

Also, the earlier comments about how it will charge confused me because it was already stated that it would use a magnetic connector to charge? It's only a matter of time before a dock is made available either by Apple or a third party so it will just be a matter of putting the watch on a bedside stand to charge overnight. I already charge my phone every night so it's not a major effort to charge a watch too.

It has gps in it. This is probably the ultimate cause of the drain. If the battery is user replaceable then it wouldn't be such an issue. If it isn't then it's a bit of a dud really as daily charging will mean the battery will be duff in about 18 months max.

I do like the look of the Milanese loop strap. Might actually fit me as I have a small wrist so most straps are way too big. I don't really wear a watch and I use my phone to tell the time...

If assume that the battery won't be user replaceable like all mobile Apple devices. I agree that the GPS will probably be the biggest drain but the watch will also be constantly polling the iPhone over I assume bluetooth 4.0 so that will also be a steady drain.

Edit: As below I've now seen that the watch doesn't have GPS built in so if guess the biggest drain will definitely be the bluetooth and retina screen.

Last edited:
18 hour battery ! - 24 hours in the day ! this is never going to set the world alight and I won't be relying on on!

Give it another few years and it might become a credible but until then it will always be the joke on your wrist. The return of the Micky Mouse watch perhaps ! But even that lasted longer than 18 hours !

Good maths. It's a while since I've been awake for 18 hours out of a whole day so whilst the watch will need to be charged each day, so does my current phone so it's not that much different really.

Lucky you. Yet another charger to place on the bed side. Yet another thing to carry around. Hmm unexpected trouble at work, ill stay over in a hotel tonight, oh s*** my watch has drained and I didn't bring the charger. Heck the amount of times I forget to charge my phone, but luckily the 6+ easily lasts two days.

No sorry I don't think it is unrealistic to ask for more in 2015. It doesn't have GPS, modem or anything on board. The pebble technology is ancient in comparison and this has not moved the game on at all. Furthermore I think a watch has a different usecase and should last much longer than a phone. Don't forget 18 hours is the maximum under what I call fairly light balanced use. Taking those figures it would drain before I can complete a marathon :p

Nah, very disappointing

I agree that I'd like longer life and I'm not going to be rushing out to buy one but I'm just suggesting that expectations have to be realistic with current technology available. People were always going to be disappointed with whatever figure Apple announced because we naturally always want more out of tech.

With regards to the pebble, again that's doing nothing in comparison to the Apple watch or any of the other Samsung/LG watches that are already out. It runs a small single shade kindle screen and offers basic app connectivity.

Good maths. It's a while since I've been awake for 18 hours out of a whole day so whilst the watch will need to be charged each day, so does my current phone so it's not that much different really.

Yes and no. Most people accept that an iPhone 6 needs to be charged every day - and plenty of people grumble they need extra battery packs and chargers and have to turn things off. Basically, a lot of real world users think it doesn't really have an "all day battery". Here are Apple's figures for how long the battery lasts.

https://www.apple.com/uk/iphone-6/technology/

You'll see those are way off from most users' real world experiences. Those will be with brand new (or maybe conditioned if that's better) batteries with optimal charge under lab conditions. Just like they calculate the MPG for cars. There's nothing to suggest that the Watch battery stats are any less optimistic.

Didn't Pebble recently do a successful Kickstarter campaign to help bring their next generation watch to market? Sure I read something a couple of weeks ago.

Microsoft has just joined the electronic watch game . . .

10329165_353407251529832_6738872287460627503_n.jpg

Actually, one thing occurred to me this morning. I don't know if it's an urban legend but apparently lots of people were mugged when iPods came out because they could be recognised by white cables on their earphones. Wearing a £350 watch on your wrist will tell a mugger than you also have a £800 phone in your pocket......

I didn't think it had GPS, I thought it needed the iPhone for that.

Yeah, which again limits the "sports" use. When I go running, I use my watch to track distance, speed and all kinds of stuff such as how gradient affects pace. All of those use the relatively simple GPS. Some of them could be replaced by very clever apps but I think most runners are going to want to carry their phone to make the Watch as useful to them as a cheap Garmin.

Actually, one thing occurred to me this morning. I don't know if it's an urban legend but apparently lots of people were mugged when iPods came out because they could be recognised by white cables on their earphones. Wearing a £350 watch on your wrist will tell a mugger than you also have a £800 phone in your pocket......
To be fair, many people wear watches that are worth many multiples of those.

I agree that I'd like longer life and I'm not going to be rushing out to buy one but I'm just suggesting that expectations have to be realistic with current technology available. People were always going to be disappointed with whatever figure Apple announced because we naturally always want more out of tech.

With regards to the pebble, again that's doing nothing in comparison to the Apple watch or any of the other Samsung/LG watches that are already out. It runs a small single shade kindle screen and offers basic app connectivity.
Of course it is not the same. However it is many years old tech as well. It will still show all the notifications, messages, run keeper stats etc.

My point isn't that it is the same and provides like for like comparison. My point is that it is several years old technology and what has been brought to the market today whilst very shiny hasn't moved the game on. It could have been done back then as it still has the same challenges of a bright colour screen being a battery hog. It still hasn't integrated any additional technology besides the Bluetooth and gyro meters etc. sure I'm not denying that the software is great and the two way communications seems great.

However for me, it hasn't moved the game on. I saw the difference with the iPhone and iPod etc, just not getting it here. All those fancy straps yet none have a flexible battery built in ;) now that would be cool, charge one strap, wear another strap. Heck you make more money as well as people would immediately buy more than one.

I feel Pebble's always-on display is the single biggest advantage to any other smartwatch no matter the spec. During the keynote, you see the guy put his hand on the watch to turn it off as though putting sleeve over it. Then he has to tap the aWatch to make the watch tell time.

The ONLY advantage I can see compared to the new Pebble Time is better integration with iOS. If Pebble Time is able to access the same level of iOS, it would be a much better smartwatch:
- Notification handling: Pebble does it now. With better integration, Pebble Time can also use voice reply
- Glance: Pebble Time's new headline feature
- Siri: it's just a microphone on the watch, if only Apple open this up in bluetooth drivers
- Heartrate monitor: I admit this isn't a feature on Pebble, but then I'm not buying a sport band, I won't be wearing my steel band watch to do exercise.

Then there's the battery life, I'm actually more concern about the phone. iPhone used to be known for good battery life, but as more and more background tasks are done on it, it isn't anymore. How well can the watch cope when running GPS all day long for the watch?

Last edited:
That's true. But not ones that are so easy to sell on ;)
Not so sure about that. Heck I sold the box for my Rolex for ~£300 :) more than any Apple box I've ever sold.

Well my work colleague is in this morning and he reckons the one he wants is £400-£500 and he is lining up so lets see.....

he is a complete apple-a-holic...

Back