Beginner Appropriate? Please comment

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I've put this on a small forum years ago and got mixed reactions.
My granddaughter(5or6) was jumping around in the living room and I told to "strike the pose" which she did.
Because the background was dark I painted it out and then converted it to B&W.
First picture untouched, even has some washing on the radiator!
Second background painted out.
Third B&W.
BTW she's 21 now :)

Attachments

• TPose (Custom).jpg
    TPose (Custom).jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 58
  • TPoseNoBG (Custom).jpg
    TPoseNoBG (Custom).jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 58
  • TPoseNoBGB&W (Custom).jpg
    TPoseNoBGB&W (Custom).jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
I have grandchildren and my daughter made it clear that she did not want photos of her children appearing on the web as sometimes these images can turn up later to be used to torment the child. I still take photos of my grandchildren but never post on line or use in competitions. I did use images of my own children occasionally in competitions but only with their permission but none were potentially embarrassing.

Dave

I have grandchildren and my daughter made it clear that she did not want photos of her children appearing on the web as sometimes these images can turn up later to be used to torment the child. I still take photos of my grandchildren but never post on line or use in competitions. I did use images of my own children occasionally in competitions but only with their permission but none were potentially embarrassing.

Dave
I agree with this I would never post images of my grandchildren or family on the internet, especially at this time - you just never know how they may be copied or re-posted and used.

appropriate, maybe unwise is a better word

Thanks, this is the only one I've posted and it was taken 16 years ago but I'm interested in what people think and take it on board.

Did her parents know?

I've put this on a small forum years ago and got mixed reactions.
My granddaughter(5or6) was jumping around in the living room and I told to "strike the pose" which she did.
Because the background was dark I painted it out and then converted it to B&W.
First picture untouched, even has some washing on the radiator!
Second background painted out.
Third B&W.
BTW she's 21 now :)
I can see the harm - unless your family are hiding from criminals.

unfortunately it has only taken a few perverts world wide to make us think twice about posting photos of our children/ grandchildren et al … but is that because as photographers we think we might be labeled by the Karen army ?
Yet if we go on Facebook and other social media there are many thousands of child photos posted by there proud mums etc . Is the difference because those were taken using a phone as opposed to a camera , the answer is obviously yes … you can’t even take a camera to a school sports day to take photos of your own kids but there are usually lots of mothers taking videos on phones that end up on Facebook ..
don’t know what the answer is but to answer the OP no those shots are not inappropriate

Apart from the issue of posting pictures of people and/or children with or without consent... These are lovely pictures. Well done Paul.

On the subject of taking photos of children. A few years ago I went with my IIRC 9 year old nephew to the park whilst he was playing I started to photograph flies - my mum said to me, "Don't do that they might think you are photographing children."
Which I thought was a shame.

I can't help wondering if this is a peculiarly British or even maybe English problem (photographing children)? I know child abuse and related images is a global problem, but is the response discussed here a UK-etc centric response or do other countries' people also have this issue? It would be interesting to hear from people who live outside the UK on this.

(for purposes of clarity, I have no children and my general response to photos of them is Yuk! not through jealousy but lack of interest in any way, but I totally understand why parents take the photos and should be able to, as I have all my dads photos of my sister and I as kids)

Last edited:
I can't help wondering if this is a peculiarly British or even maybe English problem (photographing children)? I know child abuse and related images is a global problem, but is the response discussed here a UK-etc centric response or do other countries' people also have this issue? It would be interesting to hear from people who live outside the UK on this.

(for purposes of clarity, I have no children and my general response to photos of them is Yuk! not through jealousy but lack of interest in any way, but I totally understand why parents take the photos and should be able to, as I have all my dads photos of my sister and I as kids)

In South Africa, I would not think anything taking pictures where there were people in it, adult or children. But I would never "publish" a photo where the child as an obvious main subject without permission, but people wouldn't assume you are a criminal.

In the Philippines, I took photos everywhere, often with kids in the photos, no-one thinks anything of it, and nearly all are doing the same with their phones.

In the UK I wouldn't dream of taking photos where kids are playing in a park if I was by myself!
A tourist sitting on a park bench here with a phone is assumed to be a criminal, when he is just showing people back home where he is :(

That's kind of what I was thinking Steve, it would be interesting to hear more views on that

It does feel like a very British thing, although I wouldn't be surprised if it's like it in the US as well; as they seem to have an even more puritanical attitude to things than the UK does.

A few years ago, I was on a West facing beach, taking some sunset shots when a German little girl started doing cartwheels along the waterline. Since her father was stood nest to me, I asked him if it was OK for me to include her in my shots - he seemed genuinely surprised that I had even asked and said "Of course!"

About the picture, i think whatever works for you. It’s your granddaughter so the best edit is the one you prefer. There’s nothing wrong with a picture that has no other purpose than creating a memory.

I’ve taken many many pictures of random children on the street in Greece. Because it’s one of my favourite subjects. Never had any issues, and never crossed my mind I’m doing something wrong. Mind you that was nearly 15 years ago. I’m a father of two by the way (better clarify that since i live in the UK now :LOL:).I live in Belfast and I don’t want to make people feel uncomfortable, I get that vibe people get suspicious. That doesn’t stop me from taking pictures of course. If I take a picture of a child here I don’t just walk away in a rush. I walk slow, like real slow. It’s a psychology thing. If I feel what I’m doing is normal that shows on my face. I’ve noticed that, if for whatever reason I’m anxious or grumpy people pick up the energy and they get suspicious:LOL:.
But in this day and age internet is a chaotic place and that probably makes people anxious (especially parents). So I understand why people react negative to someone taking a pic of their child.

I do a fair bit of street photography, so obviously enjoy taking candid photos.. some of these are of children and I publish them.. usually on social media.. I don't ask adults for permission to publish, so I'm not going to ask children. I mean, the internet isn't going to explode with pedos if you publish a photo.. what are people expecting to happen?

In France there are clear restrictions around photographing people in public - it's acceptable if they are a minor part of the photo, but not if they are the subject IF you don't have their permission.

But different countries, different standards. I've photographed children (fully clothed, public place, playing up to the camera) in morocco where I would be hesitant to photograph adults. A couple of years back there were some kids in Oxford Cornmarket that asked to be phtographed, and I was happy to oblige.

We need to be aware of the wishes of our subjects and those around us.

I had a conversation about this sort of thing today and specifically about peoples reaction to me with a camera, sometimes not good (even if I'm not actually using it) compared to peoples reaction to me when I have a camera and Mrs WW is with me, no to little reaction. I'm certain this is not just in my mind.

Also, I suspect that a good percentage of people objecting to pictures of children and perhaps also adults being posted on line have possibly posted pictures they've taken with a phone on social media. This hypocrisy is explained by there being nowt as queer as folk.

I took a photo of some people (adults) walking down the street wearing national costume in Oslo on Constitution Day, a public holiday. There were many others wearing national dress that day, as is the tradition.

Anyway, they were outraged that I had taken a photo of them, demanded to see what I had taken and then insisted that the images were deleted. As a visitor to their country and being on my own, I of course deleted the images as per their (really quite strong) protest.

I have no idea why they were so outraged and at the time assumed that 'street' photography of people was not typically practiced in Norway or that they were Rsoles. That said, I didn't ask permission, so could well be that I was being the Rsole. Nevertheless it was an unsettling experience. Took the shine off what was otherwise quite an interesting day.

Anyway, after that significant diversion from the topic.

The original photo's are fine by me, but I do understand why in today's 'everything online' world why parents would rather not have images of their children being posted on the internet. It is of course hypocrisy for them to then take pictures of their's and other people's children on their phone and then post them on social media. That pretty much sums up attitudes today.

Last edited:
Appropriate? - Yup . . . I live near some beaches where everyone is their skimpies with phones out and cameras and video cameras . . . However, to a 'townie' it might seem a bit unusual I guess.

I took a photo of some people (adults) walking down the street wearing national costume in Oslo on Constitution Day, a public holiday. There were many others wearing national dress that day, as is the tradition.

Anyway, they were outraged that I had taken a photo of them, demanded to see what I had taken and then insisted that the images were deleted. As a visitor to their country and being on my own, I of course deleted the images as per their (really quite strong) protest.

I have no idea why they were so outraged and at the time assumed that 'street' photography of people was not typically practiced in Norway or that they were Rsoles. That said, I didn't ask permission, so could well be that I was being the Rsole. Nevertheless it was an unsettling experience. Took the shine off what was otherwise quite an interesting day.

The original photo's are fine by me, but I do understand why in today's 'everything online' world why parents would rather not have images of their children being posted on the internet. It is of course hypocrisy for them to then take pictures of their's and other people's children on their phone and then post them on social media. That pretty much sums up attitudes today.
They were just being a pair of Rsoles. Here in Norway, you are allowed to photograph anyone in a public space. "It is, however, forbidden to film or photograph in a way that, through intimidating or troublesome behaviour, or other reckless behavior, violates the peace of another person."

That's because your images will capture part of their souls and they won't get in Valhalla or whatever! I'm sure I've just mixed up a few belief systems...

For the purposes of clarity, here is a solicitor's take on the subject of photographing children or adults in public...

For myself, I attempt never to interfere with other people, when I am photographing them. Children in particular are at their most interesting when left to inhabit their own private world...

Three Children in park Canon Eos 1996 07-20.jpg

Having six children ,10 grandkids ( all adult now) and a few great g/ kids ,I have taken lots of pics over the years some will no doubt have ended up on the net ,and lots more taken by themselves and posted to . I see no harm in it neither do my family members …

But a few years ago while taking some wildlife shots I was reported to the head park ranger as a man lurking about ( in a nature based park ) with a camera and huge lens , at the time I was actually taking photos of dippers with the park rangers help to locate them . the Karen got put in her place but it goes to show how paranoid some folks Can be

and one of the dipper shots ended up being featured on springwatch so at least got a result from the day

Back