Are there any 50d owner's out there

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys I have had my 50d for a while now and was a upgrade from my 1100d, and although im getting on well with it I feel as though im the only one with one.
Is there a reason its not a widely used slr or is it just me?
Would be nice to talk to some fellow owner's if there is any?

they never were that popular as the 7d launch overshadowed them ,i had one and indeed am thinking about another ,i found it a good fast camera with acceptable noise levels .but never seen around in quantity

Snap, I went from the 1100d to a 50d. I liked the larger body and more solid feel over the 1100, plus the higher fps and more pixels. I probably would have chosen the 7d but the price at the time put me off.

I've been using the 50D for a few years now and it's a great work horse, it's never let me down in all that time. It's been rained on, dropped (a few times), covered in salt spray, buried in snow in a blizzard, and still it keeps going. thinking of going for full frame soon but will still keep the 50 as a great backup.

I bought a 50d to replace a 10d, never really clicked with it. I should have bought the 5d instead, eventually I did and let my wife have the 50. In her hands it has produced some great results, no doubt because of her artistic nature. Very pleased with it and it suits her just fine. It replaced the 40d but it was only a minor upgrade and it just didn't get the credit it deserved if you were jumping from say a 20 or a 30. Can't see us replacing it any time soon though, its a fine camera in its own right.
Matt

Snap, I went from the 1100d to a 50d. I liked the larger body and more solid feel over the 1100, plus the higher fps and more pixels. I probably would have chosen the 7d but the price at the time put me off.

Yep exactly the same for me 7d was well out of my budget for the mo especially as I still feel I have lots to learn.
Has anyone got any particular lens that they find good results with?

Yep exactly the same for me 7d was well out of my budget for the mo especially as I still feel I have lots to learn.
Has anyone got any particular lens that they find good results with?

60mm macro ef-s works well. My 50 and 85 primes seem to suit too and finally my wife gets good results with MY 70-200 f4IS L

I started with a 50D, loved it thought it was a great camera, if I had not gone for. 5D mk3 I would still be happy with the 50D.

Id love a 5d m3 but with the amount of picture's I take I cant justify that sort of money yet. One day though ay

found this battery grip on ebay? (LCD Timer Battery Grip for Canon BG-E2N 30D 40D 50D EOS) does anyone use a grip and would you recomend them?

I have a 50d but my 40d has served me so well I have justed listed my 50d in sales section just never clicked with it to the ooint it onky has 1200 clicks on it will make a bargain for someone moving to a 7d and keeping the 40d

found this battery grip on ebay? (LCD Timer Battery Grip for Canon BG-E2N 30D 40D 50D EOS) does anyone use a grip and would you recomend them?

I use a battery grip on my 50D. Not the same one as your link but it's a useful addition, especially for portrait shooting.
That one will have things like an intervalometer built-in so very handy.
I use a wired remote with mine which will have the same features.
I can also recommend the 'Magic Lantern' firmware, it unlocks features that Canon think you shouldn't have. (y)

I use a battery grip on my 50D. Not the same one as your link but it's a useful addition, especially for portrait shooting.
That one will have things like an intervalometer built-in so very handy.
I use a wired remote with mine which will have the same features.
I can also recommend the 'Magic Lantern' firmware, it unlocks features that Canon think you shouldn't have. (y)

Is the magic lantern downloaded straight to the camera?

Is the magic lantern downloaded straight to the camera?

The magic lantern is extracted to your sd card via a pc, then the additional firmware is recognised by the camera once the card is inserted, you must ensure that you have the latest official canon firm ware on the camera before you try to run ML else the body will nit recognise it

As Darrell says, you update your 50D to the latest official firmware then insert the CF card with ML on it and do another firmware update, pointing it to the ML firmware.
As soon as it's done you switch off, back on and you have access to a plethora of completely new features you never even knew your 50D had!
Here's a link which tells you more about it. :cool:

I upgraded from a 450D to a 50D, couldnt afford a 7D or a 60D at the time, shame as I wanted to try out some video making. Came with the official Canon grip which has 2 batteris so that alone was enough reason to keep it.

Is that magic lantern update safe to do? does it actually let you record video (with sound?) possibly a 50D was a better choice than I thought :)

Initially i thought grips looked ugly and were unnecessary.
Until i bought one on a whim, and it's not been taken off since!
Look on MPB for a second hand one. I got a genuine BG-EN2 from them for £25 in mint condition!

does it make any difference using a cf card or a sd card in a cf adapter.
Im using a 16gb sandisk extreme sd card in a cf adapter?

does it make any difference using a cf card or a sd card in a cf adapter.
Im using a 16gb sandisk extreme sd card in a cf adapter?

I used to use cf-sd adapters and really cant recommend them, I found they are unreliable and even with a fast sd card in them the adapter will slow you down as it cannot write to the card at decent speeds

I love my 50D, again couldn't justify the cost of a 7D, and thought the 60D was a glorified xxxD body.

I'm keeping an eye on the rumoured 7D mk2. If it has decent ISO performance and a flip out screen I might upgrade.

I've got a 40d, the only reason I'd get a 50d is the MP count(not a huge deal) and magic lantern, really happy with my 40d though, incredibly cheap, strong, amazing battery life(compared to being used to a 300 shot body) great autofocus, and excellent burst and more importantly, buffer.

@Thedodo I'm currently using a Komputerbay(think they're called that) adapter with a couple of CF cards as backup, I find they write plenty fast, is that due to the larger files on the 50d or what?

The only upgrade I'd make from my 40d is to a 5dii or 6d, I've used my 40d up to 3200 iso perfectly fine, and all the other crop cameras to date don't have significantly better iso performance, compared to the modern full frames.

7D2 could be nice, any idea when that's rumoured to come out?

Is that magic lantern update safe to do? does it actually let you record video (with sound?) possibly a 50D was a better choice than I thought :)

Perfectly safe! I've not heard of any horror stories from anyone using it.
It only modifies the firmware very slightly to tell it to look on the card, other than that the Canon firmware remains intact.

It won't record sound unfortunately, you'd have to record it separately and combine it afterwards.

I used to use cf-sd adapters and really cant recommend them, I found they are unreliable and even with a fast sd card in them the adapter will slow you down as it cannot write to the card at decent speeds

Have you got any suggestions for a good cf card. Only ever used sd so not to sure what to look out for?

Ooooooo. Thats not a bad price either?

has anyone got any recommendations on a lens. been looking at the 17-55 and 17-85? i know there is a hell of a lot of difference in price but im just not getting on with my 28-135 is and thinking about a change.

has anyone got any recommendations on a lens. been looking at the 17-55 and 17-85? i know there is a hell of a lot of difference in price but im just not getting on with my 28-135 is and thinking about a change.

I have a 17-85 and it is not a bad lens for its price, it does suffer quite badly with chromatic aberrations but camera raw has a profile toncorrect this and does a pretty decent job. The other thing to watch out for is the lens has a known issue with the af motor which if I remember correctly throws up an error 99 on the camera, canon are pretty good at having them fixed though, mine went about 2 years ago and since it came back from repair has been fine.
Af is fast and near silent even in poor lighting wide open sharpness isn't too bad but there is visible vignettes around the edge again in cam raw easy fix

. The other thing to watch out for is the lens has a known issue with the af motor which if I remember correctly throws up an error 99 on the camera

I thought as much. saw one for sale for only £80 but said it wouldn't AF between 17-24 and that a code came up while it tried to.

If I remember correctly it costs about 80 for the repair so even taking that into consideration 160 isnt a bad price

MPB are doing them for 145! second hand of corse. Keep looking at the 17-55 tho. I know there not cheap but got a big b-day coming up so might treat myself but just want to make sure its worth it.
was looking at renting one but £45 for 3 days im not to sure. in my eyes that's 45 squid towards one?

MPB are doing them for 145! second hand of corse. Keep looking at the 17-55 tho. I know there not cheap but got a big b-day coming up so might treat myself but just want to make sure its worth it.
was looking at renting one but £45 for 3 days im not to sure. in my eyes that's 45 squid towards one?

That aint a bad price at 145 at all, the 17-50 is obviously a much superior lens i would hire one ibknow what you mean about wastimg money but at least you will get a feel for the lens.
Lenses for hire are fantastic and would recommend them

Might have a look into it. Didn't realise you had to pay for the return postage aswell.

. The other thing to watch out for is the lens has a known issue with the af motor which if I remember correctly throws up an error 99 on the camera

I thought as much. saw one for sale for only £80 but said it wouldn't AF between 17-24 and that a code came up while it tried to.

It's not the AF motor, it's the aperture unit ribbon cable, as the lens is zoomed the ribbon cables moves and over time it cracks where there is a tight bend.
For some reason, when it fails it makes the AF hunt.
Some people solder new cables on, others fit a complete new aperture unit or 'power diaphragm assembly' as Canon call it.
I've done it both ways but prefer to fit a new complete unit as I'm not that good with fine soldering.

As a 'walkabout' lens it's ok, in my opinion no better than the 18-55 IS kit lens IQ wise but the focusing is silent, accurate and very, very quick.
Maybe look to the 15-85 too, apparently it's a gem of a lens, about £360-400 used. ;)

Last edited:
It's not the AF motor, it's the aperture unit ribbon cable, as the lens is zoomed the ribbon cables moves and over time it cracks where there is a tight bend.
For some reason, when it fails it makes the AF hunt.
Some people solder new cables on, others fit a complete new aperture unit or 'power diaphragm assembly' as Canon call it.
I've done it both ways but prefer to fit a new complete unit as I'm not that good with fine soldering.

As a 'walkabout' lens it's ok, in my opinion no better than the 18-55 IS kit lens IQ wise but the focusing is silent, accurate and very, very quick.
Maybe look to the 15-85 too, apparently it's a gem of a lens, about £360-400 used. ;)

Ok nice one will go and have a little look

Back