Are You Still Using Cash?

No Bluetooth is a direct connection between the two devices, no need for a mobile signal. I just can't image you need a mobile connection to take the payment. I'd think the app would store the payment data and send it to the bank when the phone had signal. I don't know this, I just can't fathom that it hasn't been thought of and dealt with by the people who make these little mobile card readers.

Like when you pay by card on a flight, the payment isn't actually processed until after the plane has landed and all the mobile devices can get signal again.
As a square "owner" you do need a phone signal for the transaction to be processed. The delay in processing on a plane is fine as you have a "captive" market. Payment doesn't go through you have the persons details. On a market stall etc how do you chase somebody up if the transaction doesn't go through at the time?

Last edited:
We should all use more cash. Don't give them the opportunity to scrap hard currency for smart money and social credit.
I'm not sure what you think those terms mean.

"Hard Currency" has been obsolete since the U.S. and most other countries came off the Gold Standard at the beginning of the 1970s. All modern currencies float, Possession of a coin or a bank note is exactly the same as a balance on a debit card, the only advantage (to a criminal, that is) being that the former is slightly easier to steal than the latter.

"Smart Money" is just a name for the complaint de jour. It has so many conflicting meanings that it's effectively meaningless.

"Social credit" is the bogeyman Chinese credit checking system, which the criminally minded and the paranoid appear to think is the latest version of "The Men in Black". The existing Western credit checking systems that I've had contact with appear to be just as universal.

As a square "owner" you do need a phone signal for the transaction to be processed. The delay in processing on a plane is fine as you have a "captive" market. Payment doesn't go through you have the persons details. On a market stall etc how do you chase somebody up if the transaction doesn't go through at the time?

With Mastercard the payment is guaranteed to the merchant for offline payments, so you wouldn't have to chase the buyer up.
I don't know about Visa cards.

With Mastercard the payment is guaranteed to the merchant for offline payments, so you wouldn't have to chase the buyer up.
I don't know about Visa cards.
But the card reader won't work in the first place so the point is irrelevant.

I'm not sure what you think those terms mean.

"Hard Currency" has been obsolete since the U.S. and most other countries came off the Gold Standard at the beginning of the 1970s. All modern currencies float, Possession of a coin or a bank note is exactly the same as a balance on a debit card, the only advantage (to a criminal, that is) being that the former is slightly easier to steal than the latter.

"Smart Money" is just a name for the complaint de jour. It has so many conflicting meanings that it's effectively meaningless.

"Social credit" is the bogeyman Chinese credit checking system, which the criminally minded and the paranoid appear to think is the latest version of "The Men in Black". The existing Western credit checking systems that I've had contact with appear to be just as universal.
You are right. There was a bit of a cavalier attitude on my part. By hard currency I was referring to physical money.

Smart money is potentially very scary, and does more or less go hand in hand with social credit. You only have to study the Chinese system to see how it could go.

I just came back from riding around Switzerland, that also took me through France, Belgium, Germany, Luxembourg and into Italy.
Not only did I not use cash, I literally didn’t take any.

Funny, I am the opposite!

Rarely have cash on me, and often out without cards, just rely on Apple pay/phone. But abroad I will normally take cash as I know what I spend. For example is my banks rate much worse than when I buy currency, are what about transaction fees etc... In all likelyhood it is probably negligable!

Before Covid I was pretty much cash for everything bar online payments, but since we have come out of lockdown I have been pretty much card only. I usually have a £5-£10 note in my bag, just in case I lose the card, or someone does not take cards, but that is rare. The only consistent thing I pay cash for now are my haircuts every 6 weeks or so, because the chap only takes cash. :rolleyes:

And the cash I do have comes from birthdays and Christmas. I can't remember the last time I got money out of an ATM. :jawdrop: It is a weird 180 reversal in attitude to using money.

Last year when I went to Italy I used mostly my card to buy things, but visiting Portugal earlier this year, I used money more. But as I said, still pretty much card only here though. :thinking:

Before Covid I was pretty much cash for everything bar online payments, but since we have come out of lockdown I have been pretty much card only. I usually have a £5-£10 note in my bag, just in case I lose the card, or someone does not take cards, but that is rare. The only consistent thing I pay cash for now are my haircuts every 6 weeks or so, because the chap only takes cash. :rolleyes:

And the cash I do have comes from birthdays and Christmas. I can't remember the last time I got money out of an ATM. :jawdrop: It is a weird 180 reversal in attitude to using money.

Last year when I went to Italy I used mostly my card to buy things, but visiting Portugal earlier this year, I used money more. But as I said, still pretty much card only here though. :thinking:

In our quite large village, neither the hairdressers or Chinese takeaway take cards, or come to think of it the local guy who bakes bread. I paid the plumber yesterday in cash.

In our quite large village, neither the hairdressers or Chinese takeaway take cards, or come to think of it the local guy who bakes bread. I paid the plumber yesterday in cash.
I live in a large town, which is part of a city (MK)
Its the same here, with some local barbers, Chinese takeaways and even the local fish and chip shop, that now also does kebabs etc.
Since being taken over by a Polish family.
I needed to call out a lock smith sometime ago, I got a decent discount for cash.
So yes it still has its place, although I do find that I use it a lot less now than pre-covid.

So yes it still has its place, although I do find that I use it a lot less now than pre-covid.
I heard a piece on the radio, a few years ago, with a Customs and Revenue person predicting that the move to cashless business will make those who only accept cash stand out in HMRC's database.

Certainly, with ever more connectivity between HMRC's systems and those of the banks, I can imagine that people who are being less than open with the taxman will find he has more time to discuss the accuracy of their records with them!

I heard a piece on the radio, a few years ago, with a Customs and Revenue person predicting that the move to cashless business will make those who only accept cash stand out in HMRC's database.
I don't doubt it, but I'm sure the majority do declare some of it at least.

edited to add, they would be completely stupid if they didn't anyway.

Last edited:
I still use cash but less and less and do use Apple Pay, my bank card on my phone anywhere that takes it
only thing that is of concern is what happens if something goes wrong, I don’t always see the amount that’s being charged when I pay in a pub for example if I get a couple of pints and give the barman a tenner if the change is wrong it doesn’t matter so much but if the amount put through is wrong when I pay with my phone then it could in theory be seriously wrong :oops: :$
Card in the pub! That’s a place I’d never use a card, if I’ve got £50 in my pocket that’s as drunk as I can, if I used a card I could be yeehaad every visit, short on will power me so I can only spend what I carry, no impulse purchases, tips to waiting staff etc always in cash even if the meal bill goes on card. If you pay by card using and pin, machines usually deliver a receipt with this method, my cards don’t have the tap and go method enabled, no good to anyone if I lose one.

I generally take the principal anyone taking cash (unless its a pukka business)
is probably not declaring it for Tax/NI so if you are insist on cash you are encouraging the evasion.

I generally take the principal anyone taking cash (unless its a pukka business)
is probably not declaring it for Tax/NI so if you are insist on cash you are encouraging the evasion.
If receipts are issued I’d think they may be honest, a garage I worked at would pay those who wanted in cash rather than via the bank, used up the cash that came and so avoided bank charges.

27b07fc11b2d7eeb9bca5d6fd1bafaf4633fc69e_2_786x750.jpeg

im a mixture of both, i tend to use my card but i usually have cash in a separate pocket just in case, i was up in Scotland on the bike in June with a couple of mates, we tend to throw some money in a kitty that we use when were are out that way its a bit fairer, stopped for breakfast then 3 miles down the road needed petrol, went to get my wallet and it wasnt there.one of the lads payed for me ..the shame..i remember having it at breakfast, so i gave the cafe a ring...no nobody had handed it in, i thought its a fairly uninhabited road ( the A6 up past penrith is a bit sparse ) we had been down so i borrowed £50 off a mate to get more petrol if needed and went back the way we came...after 20 miles no sign of it so i thought bolox to it, i cancelled my card on the app, thinking by the time i got back home my new card would be there, went back and met up with the lads, got to the first hotel that night...and my wallet fell out of my leathers, i had a few hundred quid in it so i managed for the petrol and food for the time we were away

Reactions: Nod
At the BTCC at Knockhill over the weekend, a couple of food stalls had problems with their card readers, nothing worked, so it was cash only, quite a few folk were disappointed and hungry.

Reactions: Nod
since covid it's been apple pay for pretty much everything, carry £15 in notes stuffed into the phone case just in case, but never had to use it other than for leaving tips at restaurants
Same.

I went to Germany/Austria for a week. All Apple pay. My wallet only left my pocket for the car hire. Everything else, even hotels, are paid via Apple pay. I had £10 and €20 in my wallet just in case, never needed it.

I'm almost entirely card now, I keep separate bank accounts for cashless spending from the normal bill-paying account. However I do note that a lot of service businesses here - carwashes, nail bars, takeaways that are not chains, window cleaners - only take cash. I have no doubt they are under declaring their takings, only banking and recording sufficient to show a small profit over the allowable expenses of rent, staff, utilities, etc. I've noticed the same with a lot of private hire drivers, they take cash and don't like credit card customers, have nice Mercs etc and don't take a lot of jobs. Enough put through the books that they can claim back car purchase and running costs, without paying any tax.

We’re almost entirely using cards now. Got a bit embarrassing earlier though when the Tesco delivery guy arrived with our food shop. We normally give the driver a quid or two but neither of us had any cash…. well I did have 20p but that would’ve been a bit insulting I reckon.

In recent years, I have been using cards often. But I always carry some cash with me in case I need it.

I've noticed the same with a lot of private hire drivers, they take cash and don't like credit card customers,
It's a bit different here, they like you to pay via the app.
The amount of complaints about double / over charging,
or just not turning up, and still taking the money.
I'd never pay that way, and when I use the odd one, it's always cash.

Looks like I have to specifically withdraw some cash for this weekend:
1692096805355.png

Also, find an FM radio from somewhere.
"Tune in to 87.7FM for live updates..... LIVE flying commentaries"

It's like going back to the 00's.

Last edited:
When life was real!

Used a taxi from the pub over the weekend, tried to pay in cash, driver had no change, and suggested card, aye fine, payed the fare and on my banking was surprised to see the transaction went to a London address, nothing against London but it was a local? firm, allegedly. .

...was surprised to see the transaction went to a London address, nothing against London but it was a local? firm, allegedly. .
The cab company are possibly using a service company to process transactions. I think a lot of small users do this.

For a while I've used cards as much as possible as I find it more convenient than getting money out and over the last few years contactless feels like it's expanded rapidly reducing the need for cash further.

However I do always keep a decent amount of cash on me as you never know when you might get stuck so it's always handy although to my frustration when south of the border recently, a number of places who were only taking cash were also refusing Scottish notes. So now I have Scottish notes and English notes to take with me.

However I do always keep a decent amount of cash on me as you never know when you might get stuck so it's always handy although to my frustration when south of the border recently, a number of places who were only taking cash were also refusing Scottish notes. So now I have Scottish notes and English notes to take with me.

I know what you mean. I visit Scotland a few times a year and always return to England some Scottish notes and sometimes they are refused. I find it a bit odd because many years ago(about 40) it was normal to have them refused and slowly it got better and they were accepted, but now in some places things seem to have gone backwards.

I did once have a different experience while buying a sandwich in central London. Most of the staff in the sandwich bar were Spanish. The woman I handed a Scottish note to looked at it, turned and said, "Ramone, can we take this?", to which Ramone answered what sounded like, "Si, es bueno".

Dave

I know what you mean. I visit Scotland a few times a year and always return to England some Scottish notes and sometimes they are refused. I find it a bit odd because many years ago(about 40) it was normal to have them refused and slowly it got better and they were accepted, but now in some places things seem to have gone backwards.

I did once have a different experience while buying a sandwich in central London. Most of the staff in the sandwich bar were Spanish. The woman I handed a Scottish note to looked at it, turned and said, "Ramone, can we take this?", to which Ramone answered what sounded like, "Si, es bueno".

Dave
So many dodgy notes about, £20 is the most common, knowing what a proper scottish note looks like is difficult so can understand why they are refused. Lost of places now refuse to take english £50 notes

Last edited:
I Found the same with them being refused, then scrutinised more but accepted and more recently mostly forgot about them until this year when it's the worst I've seen it. Apparently scottish notes need to be processed separately and it's more work for the business but blaming it on counterfeit notes sounds better than they can't be bothered.

I Found the same with them being refused, then scrutinised more but accepted and more recently mostly forgot about them until this year when it's the worst I've seen it. Apparently scottish notes need to be processed separately and it's more work for the business but blaming it on counterfeit notes sounds better than they can't be bothered.
Depends on the bank and/or cash collection company. Some you just add the scottish notes to the English ones, others you have to submit them as a sperate package but under the same paying in slip so not a large amount of extra work

Last time we were in England I attempted to pay in Sainsbury’s in cash with Scottish notes, checkout person checked them then asked a supervisor who wasn’t sure and suggested we pay by card, so I suggested they put the shopping back on the shelf and left, next stop, small corner shop who was happy with cash and was cheaper, job done.

One thing that concerns me with the contactless card machines is that if you pay using the card in wallet on your phone apparently there’s not transaction limit
it would be so easy to be overcharged and not notice and would be hard to prove, sometimes the transaction afterwards says pending with no amount showing
i have been using my phone quite a lot lately to pay contact but am a bit more careful now only use contactless in places I trust am going back to cash for some things

One thing that concerns me with the contactless card machines is that if you pay using the card in wallet on your phone apparently there’s not transaction limit
it would be so easy to be overcharged and not notice and would be hard to prove, sometimes the transaction afterwards says pending with no amount showing
i have been using my phone quite a lot lately to pay contact but am a bit more careful now only use contactless in places I trust am going back to cash for some things
I try pay cash where I can.

is that if you pay using the card in wallet on your phone apparently there’s not transaction limit
Is that thing where people wave their phones at the machine?
I'd never do that.
There is a guy on here that uses his phone for everything, opening his house door starting his car, and more.
TBH I just think that is asking for trouble. Loose or have the stolen and you are screwed.

Yes there is fingerprint, facial or retina scan ( is that what they call and eye phone? :D ) but I'm sure they are capable of being hacked.

We are getting far too reliant on this kind of technology IMO.

Last edited:
Is that thing where people wave their phones at the machine?
I'd never do that.
There is a guy on here that uses his phone for everything, opening his house door starting his car, and more.
TBH I just think that is asking for trouble. Loose or have the stolen and you are screwed.

Yes there is fingerprint, facial or retina scan ( is that what they call and eye phone? :D ) but I'm sure they are capable of being hacked.

We are getting far too reliant on this kind of technology IMO.

yep that’s it , it does make it easy and got into the habit of using that , the lady at the till in the cafe we go to explained to me that I should always check the transaction as there is no limit on the amount

I don’t have the figures, but I’m not aware of fraud through Apple Watches or Phones, are there figures for it?

I feel much less comfortable holding a loose bundle of slippery tenners on a windy day, or being seen taking £100 out of a cash machine on a street Than having my ‘cash’ in my watch.

I feel much less comfortable holding a loose bundle of slippery tenners on a windy day, or being seen taking £100 out of a cash machine on a street Than having my ‘cash’ in my watch.
It took me years to accept contactless cards, but I do use them sometimes,
So I don't always use cash.

Back