Argos clearance - Canon 300mm Zoom

Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
Yes
Slightly puzzling listing from the Argos clearance ebay store.

They claim it's a 75-300 USM III lens and have it at £98 delivered.

The picture looks like a II with no USM to me, to complicate matters further they include details that dont make any sense unless it's actually a 70-300 DO IS (Diffractive optics?, full time focus adjust on a non-ring USM? IS etc. etc.) Wishful thinking as I think that's a >£1000 lens.

Still, assuming it is a III USM most other places list it for £220+ and the original Argos price was £290.

Sample images

Photodo review

The Digital Picture review

Not stellar but if you've just picked up a Canon SLR it'll be a useful introduction to shooting long.

Can i suggest if this is the lens your looking for then just buy it, if when it gets delivered its not as advertised you can always return it for refund, nothing lost and a bargain if its correct (y)

This must be the new stores as we use to have a shop in Torquay that sold of Argos stuff the shop has nothing to do with Argos but they buy all returns from them cheap and sell then on.
Must say how can it be a clearance when Argos are selling it in the shop/web

Last edited:
If it was a DO it'd be a bargain - but something tells me they've just searched the net for a 70-300 lens for the ebay advert spec and got the wrong details posted up. Seems a good price for a standard 70-300 though, new and with guarantee - can't be too bad?

it is confusing as it does say about IS but looking at the pics it does not look like the IS model.
I have the non IS model would be tempted at this price for the IS model but cannot waste money on it not being

I have just sent them an email asking which model it is

Last edited:
just checked and teh Argos one is not 290 this is the No is the £467 for the IS one
The one in teh pic is teh NO is as well on teh clearanc site

I read that five times. Can't parse it I'm afraid. :thinking:

I read that five times. Can't parse it I'm afraid. :thinking:

Me neither! Cannot understand a word!

I have sent a question to the seller asking for confirmation.
I will post it (if) when I get an answer.

Last edited:

OK! This is the reply I got. No use whatever!!

Dear Buyer,

* * * This is an automatic response to your email – please do not reply. * * *

Thank you for your email. We are unable to provide any further information from that in our listing. For more specific product information or technical advice, please visit the manufacturer’s website or paste the item description into your internet search engine.

The answer to your email may already be covered in our Frequently Asked Questions page, available via the Ask a Question link on any of our listings. Alternatively, our About Me page provides detailed information on all our policies including payment methods, product information, shipping terms and our returns process.

Kind Regards

The Argos Clearance eBay Team

The information contained in this message or any of its attachments is confidential and may be privileged.

Unauthorised disclosure, copying or dissemination of the contents is strictly prohibited.

The views expressed may not be official policy, but the personal views of the originator.

If you are not the intended recipient or have received this message in error, please delete this e-mail and advise the sender by using the reply facility in your e-mail software.

All messages sent and received by Clearance Bargains are monitored for viruses, high-risk file extensions, and inappropriate content.

The registered office address of Clearance Bargains is Avebury, 489-499 Avebury Boulevard, Milton Keynes MK9 2NW.

Please visit our website at http://www.clearancebargains.co.uk for further information about Clearance Bargains.

I got the same reply.

MMM take a chance or not, that is the question, could always sell it again and get my money back.

Spike

I got the same reply.

MMM take a chance or not, that is the question, could always sell it again and get my money back.

Spike

before you do that what sort of money do they go for on ebay

The picture shows a USM MK11 along with the first part of the description, it then goes into IS description????? very strange, I may be tempted to but it anyway and if it is the USM MK11 (same as I have now) I will just sell my old one for £75 on ebay. Worst that can happen is that I get a new lens for £25???

e mail one of the people who have got there lens all ready and ask them exactly what lens they got
cheapest i can find is 142-00 new

they have sold 130 in the last few hours, if you want, best act fast.

just checked and teh Argos one is not 290 this is the No is the £467 for the IS one
The one in teh pic is teh NO is as well on teh clearanc site

I checked the Argos web site and teh lens is not £20 as you say this price is for the NON IS lens
The IS one cost £ £467

Is that better for you I am sorry I am dyslexic and sometimes the words are not 100% but it was all there realy

In for a penny in for a pound as they say.

Bought one this morning and like said, if it is the same one I I already have then i will just seell mine on ebay and get my money back or as near as anyways. so will have a new lens very cheap, will keep you all posted as to what it is when it arrives

Spike

I saw this listing and was considering it as a purchase if I go for a Canon DSLR. They are selling quickly. I too was confused as to whether it had IS as speaking to the fella in Jessops yesterday the non-is was about £240 and the IS £400... It does sound too good to be true but I am so tempted!

Hi Guys for your info, bought one a few days ago and it has just arrived it is the NON IS model, the exact model is EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 lll USM.

Hope this helps
Ally.

Going, Going...

They've flogged over two hundred now so they're fast vanishing. It's rather a thrill to think that a couple hundred people will soon be testing the waters of street candids/birds/apprentice paparazzi/wildlife and the like for the first time.

If you picked one up it'd be cool to hear your thoughts and experiences at the long end.

Hi Guys for your info, bought one a few days ago and it has just arrived it is the NON IS model, the exact model is EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 lll USM.

Hope this helps
Ally.

Ah well if that is the case then mine will be getting sold on.

OR do i keep the new one and sell mine that i have already, now there is a question.

Ah well we will see when it arrives next week.

Spike

Now there is somebody out to make a quick buck or two.

They will all be on ebay next week for £110 buy it now

With buy it now fee's and paypal fees, he'll be making a loss!

I keep looking at this lens and I am very conscious they will sell out soon. I need to make a decision on it therefore...

I am fairly certain if I go for the Canon dslr that I will want a lens with this sort of zoom potential. Can anyone give me a definitive answer on how (un)usable this lens will be. I assume it will have to be tripod/surface mounted, unsure if the IS version would offer a much more flexible use, or will you still need to mount it on something?

Sorry if this is a daft question but I want to know if buying this lens will be a mistake or not...

Thanks, J.

I keep looking at this lens and I am very conscious they will sell out soon. I need to make a decision on it therefore...

I am fairly certain if I go for the Canon dslr that I will want a lens with this sort of zoom potential. Can anyone give me a definitive answer on how (un)usable this lens will be. I assume it will have to be tripod/surface mounted, unsure if the IS version would offer a much more flexible use, or will you still need to mount it on something?

Sorry if this is a daft question but I want to know if buying this lens will be a mistake or not...

Thanks, J.

Take alook at any of the pictures I have posted on here or even my Flickr account for pics taken with the Canon 75-300mm USM MK11 version. 99% of pictures are shot at 300mm and either 5.6 or 6.3.

There is no tripod ring for the lens as the weight does not jusify it, I use a tripod for all widlife shots but use handheld for all the motorsport shots.

For £94 I don't think you can go wrong to be honest. Hope this helps.

Thanks, J.

It doesn't weigh much at all....you shouldn't have a problem with it!(y)

The much nicer 55-250 has been selling on ebay for not that much more, no contest really

You snooze, you lose! I'm fairly certain you'll be miffed if they sell out. You can always pick one up later.. but you'll pay more.

I assume it will have to be tripod/surface mounted, unsure if the IS version would offer a much more flexible use, or will you still need to mount it on something?

Tripod, well... only for low light where you need a longer exposure really. If you're outdoors shooting anything in reasonable light it'll be fine. I don't have any IS lenses but it's my understanding that they're designed to be used when hand held with movement.. and that having them steady on a tripod is counter to the purpose that they're designed for. I think there's a later iteration of IS on more recent lenses that might do lateral panning but... it's an academic point on this non-IS lens.

Key thing is, it's very reasonably priced, it'll do a job and may well get a shot that you'll miss out on if you don't have the reach.

Thanks, J.

I already have one of these and they are good either hand held or on a tripod.
If you will be on a low budget like me then go for it, if you donot like it you can always sell it again and get your money back.

spike.

Back