weekly Asha Film 52 with 52 Different Cameras Challenge WEEK 52: Completed!....

Another great selection of cameras and shots Asha, you're really doing your best to catch up with Rob. The little Zeiss Baby Box camera is excellent and the Jaws shot is fantastic, it really shows off the quality of the RZ, I'll be digging mine out soon and hope I can come up with as good a shot.

Hi Nick,

Are you going to have time to use your RZ ??....from what i understand you may be more occupied with a new toy measuring 4x5 :D....enjoy!

Thanks for the comments....Yes I'm pleased with the "Jaws" result too..one of my better efforts I think.

Tbh I was a little dissapointed with the quality from the Baby Zeiss Ikon....Perhaps given its name i was expecting too much although to be fair when messing around cutting sheet film and manipulating it to fit in the camera etc etc, it can end up slightly off plane, finger printed etc. Not just that the film is out of date ......June 2011 !!!!!!!! :eek:
I reckon I will try a full roll of 127 EFKE in it next time to see if i can get it to offer better results.

Just been working my way through this thread. Lovely stuff! All the shots are of interest but my favourite, so far, is the Billy Clack waterfalls. The Coronet shots are good too, particularly the one of the runner.

I'll find time to dig the RZ out soon, although at the moment I seem to be aquiring more cameras than I'm using, it's the lure of shiny things :LOL:

I think the Ikon deserves a roll of Efke, just to see what it can do.

I've got a couple more to post up on my 52, I just need to get the shots of the cameras done and posted up.

Just been working my way through this thread. Lovely stuff! All the shots are of interest but my favourite, so far, is the Billy Clack waterfalls. The Coronet shots are good too, particularly the one of the runner.

Glad to hear that you like what you see.....thank you for your kind words ;)

I've dropped behind a little..........the cameras are here, the films are loaded but I have been very much lacking inspiration.

One of the primary problems is many of the cameras have minimum apertures of F/8 , F/11 or F/16 and a minimal focusing distance of about 8ft so to obtain creative shots with shallow DOF is impossible.....kinda makes lots of shots look nothing more than a "snapshot" with a busy background.

That said, I enjoy using them......it's trying to obtain something "suitable" to post on here that proves difficult for me.
Perhaps I'm expecting to be able to get creative shots from a Billy Clack, like what i can get from my OM-10 when in reaity I know it's impossible.:shrug:

Hi Asha

Many apologieis, I've not checked in for a while as I've had a busy few months:bonk: Hoping to take a peak tomorrow at the shots I've missed.

LO, Don't worry marsha, I was catching up with your work then as usual found myself slacking again......I need discipline! :D

I'll find time to dig the RZ out soon, although at the moment I seem to be aquiring more cameras than I'm using, it's the lure of shiny things :LOL:

I think the Ikon deserves a roll of Efke, just to see what it can do.

I've got a couple more to post up on my 52, I just need to get the shots of the cameras done and posted up.

I wish to get the RZ out again as i have a roll of Velvia which I would like to try in it.........don't usually involve myself with colour film but seing as it was a gift I best use it in a camera that i know will give some decent results!:p

Your GAS has been noticed Nick :D....Nowt wrong with that except if you're like me, the time consumed playing around and learning all about new toys leaves little free time to go shoot!

I devd a film last night which looks promising for one of my weeks and I have another film to dev today, so like yourself maybe a couple of shots to post up this week.....(y)

I'm back!

Do you know the owner of the old VW? Did they drive around repeatedly for you to photograph it or were you stalking them for weeks?:naughty:

Ironman, WHY WHY WHY would people put themselves through such pain? I mean total credit to them but it's total bonkers! As for the photo, I think you've done amazingly well considering the limitations you have:clap: Personally I am rubbish at panning too so for you to achieve it with one shutter speed and one aperture is amazing (y)The background is blurred, his feet are blurred so both give a sense of movement and the runner is pretty sharp in comparison, spot on(y):clap:

Stan and Eddie, I didn't realise that scratch was a scratch, I though it was a stray branch from the tree:bonk: Our bin men run like Forrest Gump to keep up with the truck, but my two year loves them and every Tuesday looks for Martin in his dump truck! The only thing that bothers me about this shot is the blurry car bottom right peeking in the shot.
As for the clone stamp tool, it's really easy and very useful, when you know how! It's also very frustrating and has taken me many hours mastering it! But Google is your friend, as is youTube, loads of tips and videos showing you how to use it. I'd put a link in but I'm at work and the pc won't allow it!

Oh balls, I've just seen your go at it, and I think you did very well for a beginner! I really must read threads thouroughly before posting!

Jaws, I think this is excellent, nice DOF with the background dropping away nicely.

Abstract, I would never have guessed what it was! Nice DOF again and definitely abstract to keep everyone guessing!

Jazzy, nope I'm not keen on jazz either. I think I would crop the RHS and bottom off. In colour this statue looks fascinating, in B&W it just looks a little odd to me!

Week 31, that shot is nice and sharp considering. You did well to document the name before they change it again! I've only been to Liverpool airport once before, in an RAF Wessex for a quick refuel after a search and rescue job that took us too far away from home!
I hope you had a nice trip over here?

Yay I'm all caught up! Now you need to find some inspiration and get some more shots up:D

I'm back!

Do you know the owner of the old VW? Did they drive around repeatedly for you to photograph it or were you stalking them for weeks?:naughty:

Ironman, WHY WHY WHY would people put themselves through such pain? I mean total credit to them but it's total bonkers! As for the photo, I think you've done amazingly well considering the limitations you have:clap: Personally I am rubbish at panning too so for you to achieve it with one shutter speed and one aperture is amazing (y)The background is blurred, his feet are blurred so both give a sense of movement and the runner is pretty sharp in comparison, spot on(y):clap:

Stan and Eddie, I didn't realise that scratch was a scratch, I though it was a stray branch from the tree:bonk: Our bin men run like Forrest Gump to keep up with the truck, but my two year loves them and every Tuesday looks for Martin in his dump truck! The only thing that bothers me about this shot is the blurry car bottom right peeking in the shot.
As for the clone stamp tool, it's really easy and very useful, when you know how! It's also very frustrating and has taken me many hours mastering it! But Google is your friend, as is youTube, loads of tips and videos showing you how to use it. I'd put a link in but I'm at work and the pc won't allow it!

Oh balls, I've just seen your go at it, and I think you did very well for a beginner! I really must read threads thouroughly before posting!

Jaws, I think this is excellent, nice DOF with the background dropping away nicely.

Abstract, I would never have guessed what it was! Nice DOF again and definitely abstract to keep everyone guessing!

Jazzy, nope I'm not keen on jazz either. I think I would crop the RHS and bottom off. In colour this statue looks fascinating, in B&W it just looks a little odd to me!

Week 31, that shot is nice and sharp considering. You did well to document the name before they change it again! I've only been to Liverpool airport once before, in an RAF Wessex for a quick refuel after a search and rescue job that took us too far away from home!
I hope you had a nice trip over here?

Yay I'm all caught up! Now you need to find some inspiration and get some more shots up:D

Hi Marsha,

What a fantastic feedback.....thank you for your time (y)

I was stalking the VW :D....Only kidding, it was a sunday rally of vintage cars. i obtained their route and rode on ahead of them to capture shots as they came through with different cameras.
I only posted additional shots on here for Raglansurf...he has a soft spot for VW so it seems!

Ironman...Bonkers!!??......Yep that's why a few years back i was considering trying for it :nuts: ....I enjoy the 3 disciplines but the swimming lets me down especially that distance in the sea!

Cloning.....yes i learnt the basic principal very quickly following some advice from Jon Ryan.
You have echoed his words about mastering it....like anything it takes practice but I've already been able to put the basic skill i have to good use (y)

I was very pleased with the Jaws result.... ....not so keen on shooting it mindst with the stench of fish !

The abstract shot caused a bit of fun ......made a change to shoot a different style too!

I used a piece of cut sheet film for the jazz shot although i'm pretty sure the camera would take a 127 format roll of film.
The camera was not easy to work with inside a changing bag and although i wasn't over happy with the result, i made it do as i wanted to post a shot from the Zeiss but really wasn't up to trying to reload another piece of film.

The trip to the UK was pleasant enough not least of all as i had a chance to meet up with a TPer from F&C.......spent a few hours shooting street in Leeds.
Nonetheless it's always nice to return home!

Inspiration ....Mmmm well I went a little further afield last weekend and managed to find some different shots one of which i'm going to post for week 32 (y)

Week 32: Palace Gathering

Tourists begin to gather round to watch "The changing of the Guard" in front of The Prince's Palace of Monaco at midday.

neg4monacopalacetpw.jpg

Shot at 2012-09-12

Camera used:
Kodak No2A Folding Pocket Camera c.1910 - 1915

This camera is a dream to use and offers good sharp results even with its minimum age of 97 years ( production was ceased in 1915, the earliest versions (1910) had red bellows!)

Although it was designed to use 116 format film, it is still fully servicable by using 1/4 plate sheet film which will drop comfortably inside and hold in place with a slither of tape or alternatively 120 roll film can be used using a simple adapatation using a plastic rawlplug.

The FOV is cropped however, particularly with 120 film, thus in landscape mode a little of the top of the view seen in the viewfinder will not appear on the film....this leads to the end negative having a panoramic feel to it.

The body opens with a removable sliding door at the rear making film loading easy.

There are three shutter settings, one instant (I) at 1/50 second, a Time (T) and a Bulb (B) mode.

Apertures are marked in numbers 1, 2, 3, and 4 equating to F/11, F/16, F/22, and F/32.

Focusing is by pulling the bellows out from the housing and locking them in place in the catch located on the baseboard which can be preset to 8ft, 25 ft or 100 ft.

A 1/4" tripod socket is located on the underside.

kodakno2afoldingpocketb.jpg

Shot at 2012-09-12

Aperture F/32
Shutter speed 1/50
Adox CHS 100 (120 format)
ISO 100
Rodinal
Canoscan 8800F (2400ppp)

Another quality image from a camera that most folk would dismiss as a museum piece at best and skip fodder at worst. The tones particularly in the cobbles are stunning, great work Asha (y)

Another quality image from a camera that most folk would dismiss as a museum piece at best and skip fodder at worst. The tones particularly in the cobbles are stunning, great work Asha (y)

Thank you Nick.....

I went off last sunday laden with several cameras in a rucksack as with it's 22 x 9 x 5cm dimensions, this camera don't fit in my pocket!!:D

I got on my knees (to pray for a half decent result :D) and found myself waiting nearly 10 minutes whilst anybody and everybody walked or stood directly in the shot.:annoyed:

In order to save face and show that i'm still young and fit, I had to grit my teeth and pretend that I wasn't crippled when i eventually stood up!:D :D

Week 33: A not so pleasant Palace

Another Palace in Monaco , "Palais de Justice", which is the the local Courthouse........

The stairway is this weeks shot, however to show it's location and the symetery of this beautiful building, I have included a wider shot.

neg3brilliantretouchedt.jpg

Shot at 2012-09-12

neg2brilliantretouchedt.jpg

Shot at 2012-09-12

Camera used: Voigtlander Brilliant c.1932

A 6x6 format camera which gives 12 square frames per roll of 120 film.

The early version like this one was made of metal, a later version appeared made of Bakelite.

Shutter speeds 1/25, 1/50, 1/100 T & B

Apertures F/6.3 through to F/22

Focusing is "Zone focusing" which basically means the photographer judges the distance between camera and subject or measures it with a seperate rangefinder ( like I did!) then sets the lens to the distance scale on the front of the camera.
Quite a crude way to obtain sharp results but it generally works out ok.

88voigtlanderbrilliant.jpg

Shot at 2012-09-12

Aperture F/22
Shutter speed 1/100
Focus was set to 2 meters for the stair shot and infinity for the wide shot.
Fomapan Classic 100
ISO 100
Rodinal
Canoscan 8800F (2400ppp)

Week 34: Street entertainment

When this living statue has a coin dropped in his box, he immediately comes to "life" .....usually to pose with the tourist for a photo taken by family/friends.

Up until then he stays motionless sometimes for considerable lengths of time.....quite a skill and I suspect, not particularly comfortable.

88872131.jpg

Shot at 2012-09-17

Camera used: Argus C3 ( More commonly known as the "Brick" simply because it resembles one in shape, size and weight!!!) c;1939 - 1966

Built in Rangefinder coupled to the lens.

Unfortuanatley, although the rangefinder is accurate the coupling with the lens isn't!.....so when the rangefinder shows the scene to be in focus, the lens is actually out of focus slightly.....it's only by stopping the aperture down that allows a reasonable sharp short to be taken.

It's another one of those jobs for me to sort out but in the meantime, shooting less than F/5.6 at close distances is a no no unless i want OOF results!

argusz.jpg

Shot at 2012-09-17

Aperture F/5.6
Shutter speed 1/100
Rollei RPX 100
ISO 100
Rodinal
Canoscan 8800F (2400ppp)

Last edited:
Week 35: Soon be white over!

Well although temperature highs are still in the late 20s atm, there is a definite autumn feel in the air early morning and evening....a subtle reminder that very soon ( probably within the next 4 weeks) there will be snowfall on the nearby mountains.

My good lady enjoying the warm temperature whilst admiring the view towards Nice from Antibes which is beautiful regardless of the time of year.

polaroidsquareshooterne.jpg

Shot at 2012-09-19

Camera used: Polaroid Square Shooter II c.1971

This Polaroid runs on 2 AA batteries to operate the shutter/metering system.

The exposure system is designed to wok with 75 asa rated film.

In order to get a shot from it, I decided to use my regular trick of cut sheet film especially as quarter plate size fits in without any need to cut it down.

The film holder inside the camera holds the sheet film in place nicely, however what I didn't take into account was the fact that the sheet film was located further forward (closer to the lens) than what an original film pack would have been so although I set the focusing distance correctly, the shot is OOF.

Although it has ruined the final result, I still like the composition/scene so have chosen to post it for this week and learn from my error.

polaroidsquareshooterii.jpg

Shot at 2012-09-19

Aperture F/9.2
Shutter speed: Electronically controlled. Speed determined by cameras built in metering system
Adox CHS 100 Quarter plate sheet film
ISO 100
Rodinal
Canoscan 8800F (2400ppp)

Last edited:
Asha, sorry I've not popped in before... Gotta say, a very brave and tough challenge you've set yourself, and I love the results you're getting.

On that last one, whilst the result may not have been what you were aiming for with the change in focus position, I like it.

Asha, sorry I've not popped in before... Gotta say, a very brave and tough challenge you've set yourself, and I love the results you're getting.

On that last one, whilst the result may not have been what you were aiming for with the change in focus position, I like it.

Thank you John.

You're not kidding about the challenge being tough!! :LOL:.......it wasn't my initial intention ...I was persuaded into it :cautious: :D

Tbh I am enjoying what I am learning about the gear I have ......much of it has to be manipulated into offering a result and even then, not necessarily producing a decent one :(

I'm learning lots about the problems that can come with old cameras.....although frustrating, it can be quite satsfying to overcome them and actually take a shot against all the odds!

I always keep notes of my work which will help me to understand what has caused problems with any given shot ( ie light entry, sticky shutter etc) so that hopefully i can accomodate for these quirks in the future and maybe obtain better results.

Like any photographer I wish for decent quality in my work, however the pleasure I get from playing around with old kit more than compensates for the fact that the shot may not be "up to standard"

Week 36: "Cross" Road

A regular site on the mountain roads....usually located on the the approach to villages/hamlets although sometimes simply in the middle of nowhere either solitary or accompagnied by tiny chapels.

Quite a lot of time has been spent on this shot in pp to remove dust.....(see the original below).

There is still room for much improvement but tbh I've had enough of it for now but was impatient to get my week 36 posted!

4crucifixtp.jpg

Shot at 2012-09-19

Here is the original:

86121775.jpg

Shot at 2012-09-19

When I scanned the negs I couldn't believe all the black specs everywhere....I knew it wasn't dust from the scanner as that shows up white.

I have had odd specs of black on other shots from different old cameras but nothing like this and presumed it was probably some deterioration of the lens glassware...how wrong i was!

Found out after some googling that black specs are also caused by dust and crud that falls on the emulsion side of the film from INSIDE the camera. The crud settles and effectively blocks light from recording on the film!

Another lesson learnt ... to give the cameras a clean out before use particularly those with bellows!

Camera used: Kodak Folding Pocket c 1897

Even with the dust issue, I am delighted with the result from this particular camera as it is the result of a restoration project that i recently completed...see here

91743578.jpg

Shot at 2012-09-12

The camera has one Instant shutter speed of 1/50 and 3 unmarked aperture settings which i assessed as F/16, F/22 and F/32

This particualr model was released in 1897 and ceased production in 1905 so is therefore well over 100 years old and still light tight!!

Aperture F/22
Shutter speed: Fixed 1/50
Fomapan Classic 100
ISO 100
Rodinal
Canoscan 8800F (2400ppp)

Week 37: Tour de France anyone?! :D

"Velobleu" (Blue bicycles) located all over town for rental.

Very popular with the locals commuting across town.....introduced a few years ago as the city center became increasingly pedestrianised.

17univexaf2tp.jpg

Camera used: Univex AF-2 c;1935

This camera was produced by The Universal Camera Corporation of New York City during the Great Depression in the 1930's and sold for ONE U.S Dollar!!

The camera originally produced 6 shots 28mm x 38mm on a roll of Univex #00 film.

The company attempted, with the introduction of a proprietary film size, to emulate the successful marketing strategy of George Eastman.

I guess 35mm or 127 roll film could be modified to use nowadays, however for this shot, I used a cut piece of sheet film.

univexmodelaf2.jpg

Aperture F/11 ish
Shutter speed: Fixed 1/50 ish
Adow CHS 25 (out of date May 2011)
ISO 25
Rodinal
Canoscan 8800F (2400ppp)

Last edited:
Week 38: Summer's still here!

week38177xinstamatic.jpg

Camera used: 177X Instamatic c.1977

177xinstamatic.jpg

with this 126 colour cartridge film dated May 1989!!! :eek:

hr200extrafilm126cartri.jpg

Tbh I didn't expect any results from this film....it's not even a make i've ever heard of....came with one of the instamatics that i've acquired over the years.

With the film being so old, I allowed in the region of 2 stops for the deterioration of the film thus shot it as 50 ISO but it looks like it could have done with 3 stops!

Developing: Cross processed in B&W chemicals and obtained very pale / low contrast negatives ( so pale i didn't think anything had come out!)

Surprisingly managed to obtain an image from all 24 exposures on the film during scanning some of which including this one were salvagable with a curve adjustment in pp.

Here's the original scan for comparison:

93339646.jpg

Managed to open the film cartridge without causing any damage to it so can now look at reloading it with 35mm ( in date :D) film and try out my other instamatics!

Aperture F/11
Shutter speed: 1/80
HR200 Extra Film ( shot as 50 iso)
ISO 200 ( 50)
Rodinal
Canoscan 8800F (2400ppp)

Last edited:
Week 36: "Cross" Road

A regular site on the mountain roads....usually located on the the approach to villages/hamlets although sometimes simply in the middle of nowhere either solitary or accompagnied by tiny chapels.

Quite a lot of time has been spent on this shot in pp to remove dust.....(see the original below).

There is still room for much improvement but tbh I've had enough of it for now but was impatient to get my week 36 posted!

4crucifixtp.jpg

Shot at 2012-09-19

Here is the original:

86121775.jpg

Shot at 2012-09-19

When I scanned the negs I couldn't believe all the black specs everywhere....I knew it wasn't dust from the scanner as that shows up white.

I have had odd specs of black on other shots from different old cameras but nothing like this and presumed it was probably some deterioration of the lens glassware...how wrong i was!

Found out after some googling that black specs are also caused by dust and crud that falls on the emulsion side of the film from INSIDE the camera. The crud settles and effectively blocks light from recording on the film!

Another lesson learnt ... to give the cameras a clean out before use particularly those with bellows!

Camera used: Kodak Folding Pocket c 1897

Even with the dust issue, I am delighted with the result from this particular camera as it is the result of a restoration project that i recently completed...see here

91743578.jpg

Shot at 2012-09-12

The camera has one Instant shutter speed of 1/50 and 3 unmarked aperture settings which i assessed as F/16, F/22 and F/32

This particualr model was released in 1897 and ceased production in 1905 so is therefore well over 100 years old and still light tight!!

Aperture F/22
Fomapan Classic 100
ISO 100
Rodinal
Canoscan 8800F (2400ppp)

Ahhh :) Good to see an image from this camera! I must get myself some sheet film to cut down to use in mine.
Nice shot!

Ahhh :) Good to see an image from this camera! I must get myself some sheet film to cut down to use in mine.
Nice shot!

Thank you! ..... It's well worth the time and effort manipulating film to use in this old gear when you are rewarded with a half decent image.

If you have the exact same camera ( which originally used 105 film) or any 116/616 format cameras then you could use standard 120 roll film in them with a slight modification using a plastic rawlplug....if you need more info let me know and i'll try help you out.

If you have the exact same camera ( which originally used 105 film) or any 116/616 format cameras then you could use standard 120 roll film in them with a slight modification using a plastic rawlplug....if you need more info let me know and i'll try help you out.

Oh yes, would love to put a roll of 120 through mine. Please let me know details of the modification :)

Oh yes, would love to put a roll of 120 through mine. Please let me know details of the modification :)

It's easy enough to do.....just a few things you need to bear in mind when loading/shooting.

I will write it up on here during the next couple of days . If it enables you and/or anyone else to bring an old camera back to life then that's cool.

Hi Asha, I seem to have missed a few. Good to see you still doing well with your project. All great pics and good to see some results off some interesting cameras. I really like the cross road picture, just something about it I like.

Hi Michael

No probs.......Tbh I've been struggling to catch up due to other commitments so fully understand how quick the weeks pass and how easy it is to drop behind.

Seems to be a popular shot the cross......I'm quite please it is well liked...makes the time removing the billions ( well ok perhaps a slight over exageration! lol) black speckles worthwhile!!

I'm having quite a lot of fun with all the kit. The image quality pretty much relates to the gear used so if i don't get a quality shot then i'm not too dissapointed nor surprised!

It's only been two weeks since I last posted and you seem to have been busy making me behind again :bonk:

Week 32 is a great shot, great detail in the cobbles and they lead you in nicely to the crowds. Were you sat on the floor for this?

Week 33, nice detail in the staircase from an amazing looking building. Do you have digital gadget for judging distance?

Week 34, I am always amazed at what people do for 'art' because I am sure he doesn't get paid a lot of money for standing there all day? Although he looks like he enjoys doing it. As for the shot, I would maybe crop out that bit of tree top right. Do you spend a lot of time tinkering with all the camera's to make them work?

Week 35, alas it's a shame it's OOF. Would a crop off the bottom help remove the worst of it? But like you say the composition is lovely.

Week 36, wow you did well recovering that from the dust bomb that attacked it! Lovely shot again with the handrail leading you to the cross.

Week 37, these rent-a-bikes are popping up everywhere, I saw them in London when I went there recently. That camera looks quite tiny for it's age!

Week 38, that photo looks like it's straight out of the 50's, you did well to rescue anything from that!

That's you all caught up then :D I need to get my butt in gear and catch up with mine now, shame the weather here is torrential on my day off!

OK here goes: (I actually typed this up in "show us yer film shots then" thread for someone else which I've managed to find after some searching so copied/pasted here)

This is based on using 120 film in a 116/616 format camera although it could easily be manipulated for other formats such as the 105 like i did in week 36 with the Kodak Folding pocket camera.

Get yourself a plastic rawlplug (colour irrelevant lol ) that you can push several millimeters into the end of a 120 spool of film....just be sure it's a snug fit!

Now using pliers/wire cutters cut the rawlplug so that the total length of plug and film spool match the same as your 116 take up spool.

Place the modified film spool into the camera body in the same way you would load any other spool with. The rawlplug will be toward the top of the camera ......

Now take a little care pulling the film leader across to attach to the original 116 take up spool.
Because of the distance between film and take up, there can be a chance of fogging the start of the film if you advance too far before closing the back ....one answer to this is to lengthen the backing paper of the film by simply attaching additional paper from an old film with cellotape.

Close the camera back then wind on the film until No 3 shows in the red window ( be sure it is the No 3 of the actual film and not any additional backing paper!!

No 3 is effectively frame 1

Subsequently:

No 6 is frame 2

No 9 is frame 3

No 12 is frame 4

No 15 is frame 15

Shooting:

What you see in the viewfinder will not be what is recorded on the film!

In landscape format the width will be fine but the top will be cropped slightly because of the narrower film.

Similarly if you turn to portrait format then one side will be cropped.

Bear this in mind when composing and you could end up with 5 slightly panoramic style shots out of a 120 film.

I hope I've covered all the points....It's more than a year since I last used 116/616 format but fortuanatley I keep notes!

Best of luck....

Edit...Just to add, if you have an old roll of 120 backing paper on a spool then it's worth doing a dummy run with the back open to see all runs smoothly etc

Also If you don't have an original 116 take up spool then simply use an empty 120 spool and cut the rawlplug to length to make the spool fit.

Congratulations Asha - you are getting some great shots out of these old cameras. I am very impressed!

I was fascinated by the shot from the film that expired in 1989. I just put a roll of 35mm that expired in July 2008 through a 50 year old Agfa rangefinder and was surprised that it turned out pretty well (though with muted colours). I also shot a roll of 35mm that expired in July 2007 through a Canon EOS 300 SLR and it came out very muted and very grainy - so the fact that you even produced a short from film that was nearly 20 years older than that is pretty amazing.

Like many others I'm loving this thread. Thanks Asha!

Great to see these cameras used and not just collected for their curiosity value.

It's only been two weeks since I last posted and you seem to have been busy making me behind again :bonk:

Week 32 is a great shot, great detail in the cobbles and they lead you in nicely to the crowds. Were you sat on the floor for this?

Sorry Marsha, I've been on a big catch up period!! lol
Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback...as always much appreciated!

I was knelt on the floor for this image which wouldn't have been so bad had I not found mself there for what seemed like an eternity waiting for "posers" to move out of the line of the shot :annoyed:
....as soon as folk see a camera, they seem to believe they are going to be in a magazine or something :LOL:

Week 33, nice detail in the staircase from an amazing looking building. Do you have digital gadget for judging distance?

Some beautiful architecture around ........ sometimes i gues the distance depending if the aperture will "compensate" should i be out slightly, otherwise i use rangefinders of which i have several along the lines of this:

twinrangefinder.jpg

Week 34, I am always amazed at what people do for 'art' because I am sure he doesn't get paid a lot of money for standing there all day? Although he looks like he enjoys doing it. As for the shot, I would maybe crop out that bit of tree top right. Do you spend a lot of time tinkering with all the camera's to make them work?

I see what you mean about the tree....a little distracting!

As for the cameras, I spend hours and hours messing with them....always a project to be on with...tbh sometimes i'm unsure what to get on with next!

Week 35, alas it's a shame it's OOF. Would a crop off the bottom help remove the worst of it? But like you say the composition is lovely.

When I devd the film and saw the result on the negative i was initially delighted. Wasn't until i scanned it i realised the focus issue....a real shame!

I was tempted to crop the bottom like you suggest but it adds to the depth of the shot.
I'll just have to return and get an 'in focus" result!

Week 36, wow you did well recovering that from the dust bomb that attacked it! Lovely shot again with the handrail leading you to the cross.

I've had a couple of decent "lead ins" with recent shots ...tbh it's something i struggle to find when i view a scene......maybe it's just me :shrug:

Week 37, these rent-a-bikes are popping up everywhere, I saw them in London when I went there recently. That camera looks quite tiny for it's age!

The camera is tiny measuring 100mm high, 65mm front to back and 55mm wide.

Just to add, its bellows are made of paper!!.....incredible they are still light tight after all these years!

Week 38, that photo looks like it's straight out of the 50's, you did well to rescue anything from that!

A bt of lomography for you! :p

That's you all caught up then :D I need to get my butt in gear and catch up with mine now, shame the weather here is torrential on my day off!

You're not alone with torrential rain...we are having a week of severe thunderstorms ...not unusual for this time of year down here....tbh it makes a pleasant change to see cloud formations in the sky....some are well worthy of a shot!

Congratulations Asha - you are getting some great shots out of these old cameras. I am very impressed!

I was fascinated by the shot from the film that expired in 1989. I just put a roll of 35mm that expired in July 2008 through a 50 year old Agfa rangefinder and was surprised that it turned out pretty well (though with muted colours). I also shot a roll of 35mm that expired in July 2007 through a Canon EOS 300 SLR and it came out very muted and very grainy - so the fact that you even produced a short from film that was nearly 20 years older than that is pretty amazing.

Thanks for popping in Matthew and leaving comment......
I've always been fascinated with old film but more for obtaining latent images from exposed rolls which i've had many positive results from.

As for using old film like this (ie lomography) has not really been of interest as i wanted to be sure i would get a result and not chance "losing" the shot because of old out of date film.
The results from this attempt are tempting me to play around a little more though.
Using this 126 film has benefited me in that it leaves me with an empty cartridge to refill with 35mm film if i so wish!

Like many others I'm loving this thread. Thanks Asha!

Great to see these cameras used and not just collected for their curiosity value.

Hi Des,

Glad you like the thread!

Tbh i do not see the point in collecting cameras just to sit them on a shelf and look at them.
I have mine on display and often "play" around with them and admire them, but I can't just think "oh yes they're nice but can't get the film anymore" or the quality will be c**p so i won't bother trying".....yes often the results are quite poor but it is a result against all the odds of age, light leaks etc which i personally find very satisfying!

Week 39: Can(n)on release new model! :D :D

On display outside The Prince's Palace of Monaco

week39minolta110mkii.jpg

Camera used: Minolta 110 Zoom SLR MK II c.1979

minolta110mkii.jpg

In full working order offering 16mm negatives on 110 film.

Built in metering system automatically sets shutter speed depending on light levels.

This was the first try at using the newly released ORCA 110 cartridge film.

Had to cut down and modify a standard 35mm paterson developing spiral to accomodate the 16mm film.

Aperture F/8
Shutter speed: Automatically calculated by camera
ORCA 110 cartridge film
ISO 100
Rodinal
Canoscan 8800F (2400ppp)

Last edited:
Week 40: Captain Birdseye

Looking out across the Mediterranean for ships ( or perhaps fishfingers :p)

Often light entry will ruin a shot but on this occasion it seems to give a mysterious feel which I quite like.

week40sohopilot.jpg

Camera used: Soho Pilot c.1933

23sohopilot.jpg

First time I've used this camera which like many of its era has one speed shutter and a fixed aperture.

Although the catch holding the rear door is a bit loose ( which i secured with gaffa tape!), overall the camera looked in good working condition and light tight...as it turns out there is light entry somewhere...looks to be pinholes in the bellows.

Aperture Fixed F/16
Adox CHS 100 (120 format)
ISO 100
Rodinal
Canoscan 8800F (2400ppp)

Week 38 looks like it has come straight out of 1960! Not a bad result considering that the film has been expired for longer than i've been around (y)

Week 39, quite an interesting looking cannon, it almost seems dwarfed by the carriage it sits on :D even so i wouldnt like to be looking down the wrong end of it!

Week 40, some interesting light leaks you have there, i often get tempted to buy a folder but never can find one which i like AND can afford on ebay :shake: Would like to see what shot with a nice stormy sky and some sea spray (y)

Week 38 looks like it has come straight out of 1960! Not a bad result considering that the film has been expired for longer than i've been around (y)

Week 39, quite an interesting looking cannon, it almost seems dwarfed by the carriage it sits on :D even so i wouldnt like to be looking down the wrong end of it!

Week 40, some interesting light leaks you have there, i often get tempted to buy a folder but never can find one which i like AND can afford on ebay :shake: Would like to see what shot with a nice stormy sky and some sea spray (y)

Thanks for the comments Rob.

Quite a few of the shots from the old 126 film will pull up in post and offer a similar grainy 1960s feel.....I bet quite a few folk would believe they were of that era if i printed them off and crumpled the paper a bit to make it look aged!

I'd like to try capture some rough seas this winter......that could possibly be one of the locations.....as for sea spray, depends what camera i'm using as always concerned of shafting my gear with the salt if i'm too close!

What sort of folders are you looking at?.....some of the smaller ones like the folding retinette (35mm format) are quite advanced....50mm schneider lens, F/4.5 -F/16, shutter 1 sec - 1/300 and B, self timer and cold shoe.

Haven't had an lot of use from mine I'm ashamed to say but the results i have had have been sharp!

Not sure of price now, but suspect a decent copy for £40 ish could be had.

I agree with you there Asha, those light leaks do add a little something to the picture.

Hi Michael,

I had a couple of shots to choose from on the roll from this camera but the fact this shot was accidently given that little somethin with the flickers of light, it seemed the right one to post.

Hi Michael,

I had a couple of shots to choose from on the roll from this camera but the fact this shot was accidently given that little somethin with the flickers of light, it seemed the right one to post.

Makes it looks a little like sunlight dappled water which is quite appropriate considering the subject.

Makes it looks a little like sunlight dappled water which is quite appropriate considering the subject.

Thanks for dropping by Steve...yes i couldn't have planned the result even if i'd wanted to.:p

Back